King Carl XVI Gustaf's Birthday - April 30: 2003-2005, 2008-2015, 2017-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he looks exactly his age. On the second point, CG never comes across as cheerful to me. He doesn't often smile in public and, when he does, it rarely looks natural or spontaneous.

I have noticed that too, there's something a bit "cold" about Carl Gustaf IMO.
I've seen a photo with him and Estelle on the balcony during the birthday celebrations, and he is smiling there a little but I agree with you, it didn't look completely natural.

Even though these ones have only just finished, I'm looking forward to the celebrations next year as he would've hit one of the "big" ages (70). I wonder if it will be a large celebration, with other European royals as well as Swedish royals attending. I can imagine that the other Scandinavian royals will be present.

it's too bad he doesn't laugh a lot, he has a great smile, spitting image of P.Victoria's (seen a childhood picture once, reminded me soooo much of her...)

Leonore definitely likes her auntie!

Judging from the photos it is pretty obvious to me that Leonore is comfortable around Sofia Hellqvist. And even though some children are more trustworthy than other, Sofia cannot be a complete stranger to Leonore.

Let's have a look at the guards uniforms, one of my favorite topics.
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200.16654f1914c9e0f7f9a87f/1430399183115/150430+Kungens+f%C3%B6delsedag+Yttre+Borg%C3%A5rden+Kung.Slottet+2+Foto+Kungahuset.se.JPG
The cavalry seen here are dragoons, easily recognizable by their helmet with the white svejf on top.
The carbine on their backs. (Dragoons were initially mounted infantry before evolving into general purpose cavalry. The carbine BTW is a Swedish Mauser 6.5 mm) And not least by the pallask, the straight single edged sword, rather than the sabre of lighter cavalry.
Notice also that the horses are in the same color, for quick identification from a distance on the battlefield.
Notice also the signalmen at the left upper corner riding white horses and wearing very distinct uniforms, so that the commanding officer could quickly locate his signalman in the confusion of battle. The signalmen are trumpeters, not buglers or hornblowers.
Being dragoons armed with pallasks, the unit strength is counted as X swords (in this case 30 swords), rather than X sabres as for hussars or light dragoons or X lances for lancers.
The Swedish guards consists of four different units: The dragoons described here, grenadiers, guards infantry (notice the soldier in the black uniform standing in front of the sentry box armed with a rifle) and late 1600's cuirassiers. More on that in a later post if there is any interest.

The two field pieces seen to the far left are pretty modern artillery. My guess would say no earlier that 1880.

Last edited:
From the program:

12.15 The Band of the Royal Swedish Navy marches in
12.45 The King comes out from the West Gate to meet the Royal Guards. The Army Band plays a parade march. Then the king goes up to the commandant's reception at the Palace
13.00 Salute, 21 shots are fired from Skeppsholmen
13.18 The King comes out on the Outer Courtyard
13.20 The Royal Guards ride in with The Swedish Mounted Band of the Royal Lifeguards in the lead.
The children will have the opportunity to leave flowers to the King.
The public will have the opportunity from Outer Courtyard to celebrate the king, who comes to the window of the Halls of the Orders of Chivalry with the family members who are present.

The program
Fira Kungens födelsedag*på Kungliga slottet den 30 april - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The calendar was updated today.
The King, The Queen, The Crown Princess, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are attending at the King's birthday celebration
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus
Calendar - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited by a moderator:
Will not Madeleine and Chris be on the King's birthday?

Will not Madeleine and Chris be on the King's birthday?

Madeleine's neither Chris's name was not listed, so they won't be there in person.
Its like Madeleine has withdrawn from her public duties and she's fading more and more into backround :sad:

Last edited:
Aftonbladet Söndag (Sunday) congratulates today the King on his birthday
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Photo gallery from the king's life, from Svensk Damtidning
19 fantastiska bilder från kungens liv _ Svensk Damtidning

Live broadcast at Expressen TV
LIVE-TV: Senaste nyheterna från Expressen TV
Live broadcast at TV4 play
Nyheterna på TV4Play - Nyheter när du vill

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTgW_G-hLdk/?taken-at=293010148

Queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria, prince Daniel, princess Estelle, prince Oscar and princess Sofia.
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0d2433b37a91cdefc1cc92a501a6bb72&oe=59BE5CAD

Se de söta bilderna på Estelle och Oscar _ Svensk Damtidning
Kungens födelsedagsfirande är igång _ Svensk Damtidning

Estelle is so cute while greeting people. And Oscar is a calm baby. Now Daniel took Oscar to his arms.

Methink it would be better if the rest of the family went down to the courtyard as well. This narrow window has gotten too small for so many people and it looks too crowded.

Methink it would be better if the rest of the family went down to the courtyard as well. This narrow window has gotten too small for so many people and it looks too crowded.

There has been many people at the window even before so perhaps they didn't see any reason to go down now when Madeleine and Chris didn't attend.
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlsp336005_WatermarkPreview.jpg

Galleries
APA-Picturedesk
Belga Image

Estelle is dancing a little...

Royal expert Daniel Nyhlén (the editor-in-chief of Stoppa pressarna) was at Expressen's studio. He commented that Estelle is always so calm and lives with at the celebrations and behaves well. And she is just like that at everyday life too. Nyhlén had some time ago had lunch at the same place with Daniel and Estelle. He went to greet Estelle and she was just as polite and lovely as we seen her in the public. Nyhlén said that Estelle has a very good family and is raised very well.

Bildspel! Estelles show för morfar kungen _ Svensk Damtidning
ROYAL: Festlichkeiten zum 71. Geburtstag von Schwedens König Carl Gustaf
ROYAL: Kronprinzessin Victoria und ihre Kinder grüßten vom Schlossbalkon
ROYAL: König Carl Gustaf freute sich über die schönen Geburtstagssträuße

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHtJKtOy8-c

Photo from court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/kungahuset/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6kzjl9NDM

Margareta Thorgren:
- Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill did not unfortunately have the opportunity to attend. But they have congratulated the king in other way.
Därför är inte Madeleine med vid kungens firande _ Svensk Damtidning

Margareta Thorgren told to Svensk Damtidning, that Alexander was there at the room close to Sofia although he wasn't seen at the window.
Mysteriet kring prins Alexander – Svensk Damtidning reder ut _ Svensk Damtidning

Kungen firar 71-årsdagen på Valborg – så kan du vara med _ Kungligt _ Expressen

There were at least three dutch photographers, here is a gallery from Robin Utrecht.
The King's birthday - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter

Galleries from Getty
SWE: King Carl Gustav of Sweden's Birthday Celebrations
SWE: King Carl Gustav of Sweden's Birthday Celebrations

Article at court website, there is also a video
Kungens födelsedag - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Estelle von Schweden_ Show-Auftritt an Opas Geburtstag – in ihrem Lieblingskleid! _ BUNTE.de
Victoria von Schweden_ Süßer Küsse-Regen für Söhnchen Oscar _ BUNTE.de

Videos
The king arriving to the courtyard, and receiving flowers.
Kungens födelsedag

The family at the window
Familjen på balkongen

Estelle congratulating her grandfather by giving flowers and a hug
Estelle grattar morfar

Video mostly of Estelle
Se Estelles show när kungen firade 71

I love the video with the kids presenting the flowers. The girl that went into deep curtsy to the king; the boy in uniform. I see the curtsy is not required, but it was cute.

The balcony window was surprising because I thought Alexander would be at the window with Oscar. I guess they wanted to display the immediate succession: heiress apparent Victoria, Estelle (2) and Oscar (3).

Queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria, prince Daniel, princess Estelle, prince Oscar and princess Sofia.
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0d2433b37a91cdefc1cc92a501a6bb72&oe=59BE5CAD

Se de söta bilderna på Estelle och Oscar _ Svensk Damtidning
Kungens födelsedagsfirande är igång _ Svensk Damtidning

Estelle is so cute while greeting people. And Oscar is a calm baby. Now Daniel took Oscar to his arms.

Yep! :)

Try as she might, there is now way Victoria can talk her way out of being mother to Estelle. ;)

Surprised not to see Alexander. He is not much younger than Oscar. And Oscar has been making appearances right from the start.

I also find it odd that CP is down in the courtyard with the king, while the rest of the family is up in a window. Honestly if the king is only accompanied by one, shouldn't it be his heir. Sends an odd message IMO. It's like here is the king on his birthday, and the next generation, and the rest of the family is off in the distance supporting. Oh wait, it isn't. It would be like Andrew, Joachim or Martha Louise standing in for Charles, Haakon and Fred. Happens, but not usually when the heir is present.

But the kids are adorable. Love Estelle, spirited as always. Love her hugging grandpa.:flowers:

Oscar is so cute, and seems quite a calm baby. :cool:

Loved seeing the kids bringing the king flowers.

Surprised not to see Alexander. He is not much younger than Oscar. And Oscar has been making appearances right from the start.

I also find it odd that CP is down in the courtyard with the king, while the rest of the family is up in a window. Honestly if the king is only accompanied by one, shouldn't it be his heir. Sends an odd message IMO. It's like here is the king on his birthday, and the next generation, and the rest of the family is off in the distance supporting. Oh wait, it isn't. It would be like Andrew, Joachim or Martha Louise standing in for Charles, Haakon and Fred. Happens, but not usually when the heir is present.

But the kids are adorable. Love Estelle, spirited as always. Love her hugging grandpa.:flowers:

Oscar is so cute, and seems quite a calm baby. :cool:

Loved seeing the kids bringing the king flowers.

I am not following the thread so my comments may be off , but I would suspect the reason why CP is the only member of the family in the courtyard with the king is that CP is the only family member with a military rank and the courtyard ceremony is supposed to be a military ceremony.

I am not following the thread so my comments may be off , but I would suspect the reason why CP is the only member of the family in the courtyard with the king is that CP is the only family member with a military rank and the courtyard ceremony is supposed to be a military ceremony.

You are correct. It's a question of military rank, not succession order, since the ceremony is military.

It was great to see most of the family together today. Estelle and Oscar are always a joy to watch - hopefully little Alexander will be joining them on the balcony next year.
It looked like a nice celebration, I always like how the SRF celebrate each birthday officially rather than just milestone birthdays.

LadyFinn, thank you for all the photos, video, and links! :flowers:

Loved the video of children presenting flowers and drawings to the King. Some reluctant, others confident or nonchalant.

Perhaps Prince Alexander was napping or something and Princess Sofia decided against holding him at the balcony.

King Carl Gustaf's 72nd Birthday: April 30, 2018

On Monday, April 30, H.M. the King's birthday is celebrated at the Outer Courtyard, Royal Palace in Stockholm.

11.15 The Royal Swedish Navy Band marches in and performs music program
11.40 The Royal Swedish Army Band marches in
11.45 The King comes out from the West Gate to meet the Royal Guards. The Army Band plays a parade march. Then the king goes up to the commandant's reception at the Palace
11.48 The Royal Swedish Army Band performs music program
12.00 Salute, 21 shots are fired from Skeppsholmen
12.18 The King comes out on the Outer Courtyard
12.20 The Royal Guards ride in with The Life Guards' Dragoon Music Corps in the lead.
The children will have the opportunity to leave flowers to the King.
The public will have the opportunity from Outer Courtyard to celebrate the king, who comes to the window of the Halls of the Orders of Chivalry with the members of the royal family who are present.
H.M. Konungens födelsedag firas på Kungliga slottet - Sveriges Kungahus

Expressen's royal commentator Karin Lennmor writes in her chronicle about the king's birthday.
Lennmor writes that the celebration is traditional and hopefully we will see many of the king's grandchildren.
The king turns 72 and if Lennmor is guessing right, the private celebration this year is quite muted. Last week, it was actually a bigger anniversary when King Carl Gustaf became the ruler who sat the longest time at the Sweden's throne, of all 69 kings! But even this celebration became easy - on Thursday the king sat on a plane heading home from Japan.
Lennmor's tip is that the royal family saves on the festivities. In December, Queen Silvia turns 75 and then it will be a great celebration! The Queen's birthday will be the year's great anniversary, with great dinner for relatives, friends, and royal guests. Lennmor has heard that the party fixer is ​​already appointed and that the planning is in full swing.
It is said that 70 is the new 50, and Lennmor actually thinks Sweden has a strong and vital king. He still jogs easily away from his aide-de-camps at his jogging rounds in Drottningholm and Solliden. He still likes to party. He still goes skiing, rages down the slopes.
Lennmor's tip is that Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria are planning a family surprise for the Walburgis night. The royal family likes pranks, surprises and "practical jokes" ... and they also love masquerade, but maybe it's a bit too much to make a family masquerade on 72th birthday.
The king obviously receives gifts from the Swedish people for every birthday. Everything is registered in an elegant folder, where the king can also choose what he wants to pick up from the Palace's storage, where the presents are kept.
The official Sweden and the business community aren't making any major upheavals this year. But otherwise, the king actually wants money! Money in the form of grants and donations to the royal foundations, the scout movement or charity projects, of course.
But within the family, one usually likes to be quite moderate with birthday presents. This is a wealthy family which can buy in principle what it wants. But instead, there are small, thoughtful, simple and humorous gifts that are most appreciated. You know, type Buttericks stuff. And from the grandchildren, of course something custom made.
Another thing that is a little tradition for the king for the birthday - to take the premiere trip with the boat! Thumbs up that the weather allows it.
Lennmor saw one old black and white movie clip from 1976, when the king celebrated his 30th birthday at Stockholm Palace. In spite of the crowds, it looked so miserable alone, where he stood at Borggården alone. In one of the palace windows, Miss Silvia Sommerlath stood and waved ... there were only months left for their wedding ...
But today - 42 years later - he can be delighted with a great lovely royal family with both children and grandchildren.
So congratulations to the king today!
We are waiting with excitement at this year's party in December when the Queen celebrates her birthday.
KARIN LENNMOR_ Kungen fyller 72 år – därför dröjer festen _ Karin Lennmor _ Expressen

The royal court about the celebration at their website. I wish they would publish bigger photos of this event.
Kungens födelsedag firades på Kungliga slottet - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiMieUOHjJ-/?taken-by=kungahuset

Short video, the boy wanted to make high five with the king.
Valborg 2018 – Kungen fyller år, då gör pojken det oväntade _ Aftonbladet

Video, having caught Oscar smile
Estelle & Oscar von Schweden_ Er kann es doch! Der niedliche Prinz schenkt uns endlich ein Lächeln _ BUNTE.de

Estelle and Oscar
https://images.bstatic.de/MVK_bYYiJ...s/default/files/2018-04/1505254C2NOM5Y4x3.jpg

Svensk Damtidning reports live from the courtyard. The tradition of this kind of celebration was started when the king, then the crown prince, was 23 years old. The family had a private lunch today, tells Svensk Damtidning.
https://www.svenskdam.se/2018/04/live-sa-firas-kungen-pa-sin-fodelsedag/

The court has wanted to keep as a secret who will attend in addition to the King and queen. "We will see", said information officer Johan Tegel.

Galleries
Belga Image
IBL Bildbyrå
Swedish King's Birthday Getty Images/Zimbio

Cute, Estelle and Oscar greeting people.
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+1TIQpO_60xFx.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+NPgz89PH6mFx.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+tz6hiXRZCdix.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+--thT6hDrIGx.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+B2GRpkSx9u0x.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+mv0HL4ELHWUx.jpg

Well done, grandpa!
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+3FhQ_NmIRD0x.jpg

Estelle had the colours of Sweden in her hair ribbons.
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Swedish+King+s+Birthday+pFX9nEbIyYZx.jpg

Bildextra! Prins Oscars show från balkongen _ Svensk Damtidning

The whole Robin Utrecht gallery
The Outer Courtyard celebration of The King’s 72th birthday celebration of The King’s 72th birthday - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter

Video
Kungen firades med Swedish House Mafia

Is there a reason as to why Prince Carl Philip takes a more prominent role at the Kings annual birthday over the Crown Princess?

Is there a reason as to why Prince Carl Philip takes a more prominent role at the Kings annual birthday over the Crown Princess?

Carl Philip is Naval Reserve Officer, rank of Major. King Carl Gustaf wants Carl Philip to accompany him in the military part of the celebration. Carl Philip attends also with the king for instance at the commemoration of Veterans' Day.

Is Madeline not in Sweden anymore?

The swedish press has written, that Madeleine will stay in Sweden with her children until Adrienne's christening. So far I haven't seen any comments that Madeleine isn't in Sweden.

Grattis på födelsedagen kungen! _ Hovbloggen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom