King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday Celebrations: April 28-30, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In case of the Spanish Royal Family they have little felt. First because the King and the Prince are in the habit of coming to few united acts, till now I believe that only they have come together to the weddings of the princes of Greece because they are direct nephews of the Queen Sofia.
Also it is strange that the Prince comes and Letizia does not do it.
If we send ourselves to previous acts or it comes the Kings, or it is done by the Queen accompanied by the Princes or someone of the Infantas.;)

It's true that we don't often see the King of Spain attend these events, but it seems like Felipe is usually at the weddings of other royals (at least the crown princes), so maybe he'll come to a birthday party, too.

I do, however, remember seeing pictures from Carl Gustaf's 40th B-day and from the King and Queen of Norway's 60th birthday and Juan Carlos was at both of them, so maybe there is some hope, even though those two events happened a long time ago.

In conjunction with his birthday celebration H.M. The King is hosting a seminar "From alienation to belonging" in the Bernadotte Library at the Royal Palace. The King wishes to highlight the extensive multifaceted work that is ongoing to support youths in socially underprivileged circumstances. He also wishes to emphasize the ongoing efforts to rehabilitate youths who have drifted away from society. Belief in the future and taking responsibility Youths and youth leaders from all over the country have been invited to share their experience. They will discuss the importance of developing interests and being passionate about them, about how to conquer feelings of alienation and how to create belief in the future amongst youths. They will also look at how youths are engaged in work to develop feelings of respect, responsibility and democracy - how to build bridges between groups and generations in society and how to create positive role models. Bridge Builders and the Calm Street Project The King has asked Fryshuset to arrange the seminar. Fryshuset's Anders Carlberg will moderate the discussion between youths and youth leaders. Representatives from a number of Fryshuset's different operations will be present: Bridge Builders, Fryshuset's Knowledge Center, Elektra/Sharafs Heroes, Exit, the Calm Street Project, Navigator and United Sisters. Representatives from the Swedish parliament, government, the educational system and other organizations have been invited.

Celebration of H.M. The King's 60th birthday will take place over three days: April 28-30:
Friday, April 28
The King is hosting a seminar with the theme "From alienation to belonging". Youths and youth leaders from all over the country have been invited. The seminar will take place at the Royal Palace.
Saturday, April 29
A private birthday dinner celebration will be held at Drottningholm Palace.
Sunday, April 30
Starts off with Te Deum at the Royal Chapel.
Afterwards The King, as is tradition, will attend the changing of the guards in the Outer Courtyard. The public will have the opportunity to congratulate The King at 13:00 at Lejonbacken at the musical celebration by Adolf Fredrik Choir School and the Swedish Armed Forces Orchestra.
This is followed by a lunch hosted by the Parlament at the Stockholm City Hall at 14:00. The Royal Family will be transported by horse-drawn cortège to the City Hall. The day ends with a Jubilee concert in the Hall of State for invited guests, followed by a gala dinner in the White Sea Hall.

Last edited by a moderator:
About Spain, my guess is that Queen Sofia, the Princes of Asturias and the Dukes of Palma will come because they are the ones that usually go to other royal's celebrations;)

According to Crown Prince Couple of Denmark webpage, CP Mary will attend the festivities. I wonder what CP Frederik has goning on. No word of the Queen and/or Princess Consort.

I'm excited for the royal gathering. I'm really hoping that more of the younger royal crowd might show up so we can get some really great pictures of the second generation together.

Dagens Media today reports that the King will give two personal interviews that will be recorded and aired around his 60th birthday. Both TV4 and SVT have been granted one interview each

TV4 will also make a special jubilee programme about the King which will also be aired sometime around the big birthday, and SVT will air live from the celebrations in Stockholm.

German ZDF will air the most live, three hours in total from the celebrations, and Swedish Radio will air two hours live.

The Director of the Information and Press Department, Nina Eldh, says to Dagens Media that the Royal Court have been forced to turn down many journalists due to the big interest from so many. From practical reasons it’s not possible for the King to do everything they wish him too. It’s not yet established how many foreign members of the press will come to Stockholm.

Next week the official guest list of Heads of States and Royal Families will be published.

http://www.dagensmedia.se/mallar/dagensmedia_mall.asp?version=70955

the guest list seems totally weird to me as well. some princesses are coming, some are not, some princes go alone, some princesses going alone without their husbands... i really hope at the end letizia, maxima and frederik can come! there wouldn't be so much glitter there without two of the 5 most known crown princesses in europe...
when do you think they will release an official guest list? what's the protocol in sweden?

seems late april will be a really royal time with so many royal state visits and with the celebrations of the king!

carlota said:
the guest list seems totally weird to me as well. some princesses are coming, some are not, some princes go alone, some princesses going alone without their husbands... i really hope at the end letizia, maxima and frederik can come! there wouldn't be so much glitter there without two of the 5 most known crown princesses in europe...
when do you think they will release an official guest list? what's the protocol in sweden?
As said before the guestlist from Expressen is nothing serious, and GrandDuchess has written the OFFICIAL guestlist will be released next week so we have to wait for that to be sure. Lets hope the dutch and and several spanish couples come as well as Caroline of Monaco, they always looks spectacular

I dont think Frederik will come; From 28-30 april the 2. series in the European Circuit of the Farr 40 is held in Capri in Italy, he already took part in the first Circuit in Saint Tropez with his boat Nanoq (I guess this is the reason he is not going and only Mary is mentioned in thei calendar)
http://www.farr40.org/racing/default.htm

Last edited:
that makes sense, thanks larzen! i really can't wait to read that guest list!

This week’s Svensk Damtidning reports that on 29 April the King will host 400 of his and the Queen’s closest family and friends to a private birthday party at Drottningholm Palace.

This party has created a slight panic in the high society, as only 400 picked guests have received an invitation, and the cancellation list is empty. Because of the Queen’s brother Jürg’s death the invitations were sent out six weeks in advance, and not the usual eight.

On the guestlist for the private party are the King’s sisters and their families, Count Carl Johan and Countess Gunilla Bernadotte af Wisborg, Count Bertil and Countess Jill Bernadotte, Count Michael and Countess Christine Bernadotte and Princess Anni-Frid “Frida” Reuss von Plauen (former ABBA member). And of course a long list of personal friends of the Royal Couple, and perhaps others who aren’t mentioned in the article.

King Juan Carlos also attended the 50th and 60th birthdays of Queen Margrethe II. Since he was absent from Carl Gustaf's 50th birthday celebrations, maybe this time he'll attend with the Queen and maybe the Infantas (they attended with D. Jaime the 50th celebrat.)

But of course the best would be The King and Queen, the Crown Princely couple and the Infantas with husbands.

Yes guestlist? King Carl Gustaf be 60th birthday and 30 year married with Queen Silvia 19 june 2006. King Carl Gustafs father Gustaf Adolf born 1906 and he was death 1947. His father Gustaf Adolf should lived and 100th birthday on 22 april 2006!!!

GrandDuchess said:
This week’s Svensk Damtidning reports that on 29 April the King will host 400 of his and the Queen’s closest family and friends to a private birthday party at Drottningholm Palace.

This party has created a slight panic in the high society, as only 400 picked guests have received an invitation, and the cancellation list is empty. Because of the Queen’s brother Jürg’s death the invitations were sent out six weeks in advance, and not the usual eight.

On the guestlist for the private party are the King’s sisters and their families, Count Carl Johan and Countess Gunilla Bernadotte af Wisborg, Count Bertil and Countess Jill Bernadotte, Count Michael and Countess Christine Bernadotte and Princess Anni-Frid “Frida” Reuss von Plauen (former ABBA member). And of course a long list of personal friends of the Royal Couple, and perhaps others who aren’t mentioned in the article.
LOL about the panic - I'm sure a lot of people are anxiously waiting for the postman every morning.
Reminds me of Hyacint Buckett from ''Keeping up appearances''.

So cool princess Anni-Frid is a friend of the King. I believe she lives in Switzerland these days ??

Daneborn said:
So cool princess Anni-Frid is a friend of the King. I believe she lives in Switzerland these days ??
Well I think she's more of a friend to the Queen, but perhaps she's also counted as the King's friend, I don't know. But Anni-Frid and the Queen have met quite many times and have attended some charity events together (also World Childhood Foundation things if I remember correctly).

"Frida" does live in Switzerland now, I think since her marriage to her late prince husband, and in 2004 she was even on the list of the richest people in the country.

I can't wait to see her, I do hope the press will cover the outside of the arrivals to this private party!

29/04 06Regentparret og H.K.H. Kronprinsessen deltager i forskellige arrangementer i Stockholm i anledning af Den Svenske Konges 60 års fødselsdag, kl. 19.00 30/04 06H.M. Kongen af Sverige 60 år. Regentparret og H.K.H. Kronprinsessen deltager i koncert og gallabanket på Stockholms Slott, kl. 19.00

The Danish Royal Family now confirms on their calender that Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, and Crown Princess Mary will attend the celebrations.

Ekstrabladet has an editorial today about Frederik sailing instead of going to the Party of the swedish King, its hard to say who they are making fun of, the Swedes, Frederik, Expressen (who splashed the "news" across the front page), the Swedish King, or most likely all of them:rolleyes:
utennavn0no.png

My translation
Fredes Fat vacation

Here in EUs most happy country is the hot question in Ekstra Bladets nett paper: Should Frederik bore himself at the Swedish Kings birthday party or have fun in Italy. The tough choice is:

1 King Carl Gustafs 60th birthday (The King himself writes Cal Gustaf, but the swedish Kings has dyslexia, so we should not make fun)

2 Champagen party and 3 days of sailing in Capri

At EB we know what is most fun, Frede also knows, he takes the vacation in Italy and dont give a damn about the swedish Kings stiff party in deadly boring Stockholm

But in Expressen the anger huge: This is why the Prince refuses to come to the royal party" screams the frontpage on this paper somewhere between BT and Kristelig Dagblad. And also they get a woman from Svensk Damtidning to say it is ill mannered to go sailing, its simply rude.

To check the public oppinion EB went to Malmø, we can report to you that most people in Skåne dont give a damn about their Kings birthday, They also realise that it is more fun for his cousins son to go sailing in Capri

Its accually a smart decision Frede has taken, By staying away he will not be tempted to give a speech where he might stumble over every 3 words. What word-knots is concerned, now cousin Margrethe is on her own to deffend the family tradition towards Calle. This has to be enough, the guests would want to get home sometime.

But the Queen bring the Australian with her so that the swedes has something nice to look at while eating Surströmming and other local food.

Have a nice vacation Frede

Last edited:
LOL - thanks Larzen. Ekstra Bladet must have had a field day then - having the possibility of mocking several royals - all in one swift stroke.

They are such hypocrites; if they for example were to quote a foreign poll involving Mary it would proudly be 'our Mary' - not 'the Australian'. They have such nice, flexible values at EB:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The preliminary schedule for the birthday celebrations...

Friday 28/4

> H.M. The King
9:30-12:00 AM, Birthday Reception for organisations etc.
The Royal Palace of Stockholm

> The Royal Family
14:00 PM, seminar in The Bernadotte Library

Saturday 29/4

> H.M. The King
10:00 AM, Birthday Reception for organisations etc.

> The Royal Family
8:30 PM, Private Dinner at Drottningholm Palace

Sunday 30/4 – the King’s birthday

> The Royal Family
10:30 AM, Te Deum in the Palace Church of the Royal Palace

> The Royal Family
11:30 AM, Official Birthday Celebrations including the Changing of the Guards
The Outer Court Yard, The Royal Palace of Stockholm

> The Royal Family
13:00 PM, Song- and dance courtship for the King with classes from the Adolf Fredrik’s Music Classes, the Music High School of Stockholm, the Amy’s Music Corps and parading Grenadier Guards from the Life Guards

> The Royal Family
13:40 PM, Royal Cortège to the City Hall

> The Royal Family
14:00 PM, The Parliament’s Lunch for the King
The City Hall of Stockholm

> The Royal Family
7:00 PM, Concert in the Hall of State

> The Royal Family
Gala Dinner at the Royal Palace of Stockholm

UserDane said:
They have such nice, flexible values at EB:rolleyes:
:D

I suspect the word 'value' has a somewhat different (if any?) meaning for people who work at 'Ekstrabladret'.

Tiara?

Is the Gala Dinner a tiara event? Will any Orders be worn?

Thanks. :)

Larzen said:
Ekstrabladet has an editorial today about Frederik sailing instead of going to the Party of the swedish King, its hard to say who they are making fun of, the Swedes, Frederik, Expressen (who splashed the "news" across the front page), the Swedish King, or most likely all of them:rolleyes:

My translation

Thanks Larzen for this translation, as well as the one in the Danish forum about how much the Danish royal family works and what that means per public engagement. Ekstrabladet seems to not be very happy with Frederik these days!

I don't have a problem with him going on holiday, but I do think that he shouldn't miss the Swedish King's birthday entirely, such as if he attended one event to celebrate this special birthday then went ahead with his birthday and missed the next few days, or if he arrived for the final day, missing the first few days of celebrations.

I think it's important that he maintain familial ties, as well as geographical ones and ones amongst other royal families.

Not to mentinon that it's a party for the King -- it's not a working visit to Sweden. It will be a fun event!

www.efe.es

King Carl Gustav: "To be married 30 years it has been hard work"

King Carl Gustav of Sweden confesses in an interview that has granted to the Swedish newspaper "Dagens Nyheter", published today, that to maintain its marriage with queen Silvia during 30 years has been "a hard work". Carl Gustav, who the next Saturday will celebrate with great festivities his 60 birthdays, indicates that there will be however no special celebration the 19 of June, date of his wedding anniversary, because it is "a very private" subject.
The Swedish monarch adds that in a marriage it is fundamental to speak, "to maintain to the other informed so that bad understandings do not arise you envy nor, to lean mutually, to request advice and to listen to them". Of queen Silvia, he emphasizes that he works "like an ant" and that people do not have nor idea of all the things that does in the different humanitarian organizations in whom it is implied.
In the ample interview granted to the newspaper, Carl Gustav affirms that he does not think to retire and that he will be king for all the life. "the democracy and the monarchy fortify one to another one, is a narrow collaboration. The monarchy is a stable institution and non-political, it goes beyond all the political changes, represents history and the tradition ", affirms the monarch. Carlos Gustavo of Sweden also confesses his displeasure to the popularity of the televising protagonists of "reality shows". "We needed heroes. He is terrible which those stars of programs are seen like models and competent nonpeople who have obtained something. So I am tired of that, from which when others are humiliated to an a more, greater they become these heroes, would have the other way around to be ", laments the Swedish king.

Original article

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1059&a=539201&previousRenderType=6

Attachments

• Kungatopp445.jpg
    Kungatopp445.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 441
  • kungenA298.jpg
    kungenA298.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 937
  • KungenB463.jpg
    KungenB463.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 515
  • KungenC298.jpg
    KungenC298.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 931
  • KungenE463.jpg
    KungenE463.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 568
I don't have a problem with him going on holiday, but I do think that he shouldn't miss the Swedish King's birthday entirely, such as if he attended one event to celebrate this special birthday then went ahead with his birthday and missed the next few days, or if he arrived for the final day, missing the first few days of celebrations.

Wasn't Frederick on holiday recently and participated in a sailing event not too long ago?

Too bad he won't be there. Seems awfully strange choice especially since it is the King's 60th birthday.

The guestlist
All the Kings and Queens (except UK and Japan) and all the Crown Prince couples except Frederik, Charles and Camilla, Felipe and Letizia (buu on them)

http://www.royalcourt.se/evenemang/hmkonungen60ar/aktuellahandelser/aktuellahandelserhmk60ar/5.1768b0a10a11dc6ebe80004679.html

the royals in addition to the Kings family

Denmark
Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Mary, Christian

Norway
King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Prince Sverre Magnus, Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner, Haakon and Martha Lorentzen

Finland
President Hallonen and her husband

Iceland
President and First Lady

Belgium
King Albert, Queen Paola, Prince Philippe, Princess Mathilde

Luxembourg
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa

Netherlands
Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem Alexander and Princess Maxima

Spain
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Lichtenstein
Furst Hans Adam

Monaco
Prince Albert

Greece
Ex- King Constantijn and Anne Marie, Prince Pavlos and Marie Chantal, Prince Nikolaos

Bulgaria
King Simeon, Queen Margarita, Prince Kyril, Princess Rosario

Jordan
Prince Ali bin al Hussein, Princess Rym ALi and their daughter, Prince Raad Bin zein, PRincess Maajda Bin Zein, PRince El Hassan Bin Talal, PRincess Sarvath Bin Haasan

Romania
Princess Margerita and Prince Radu

Portugal
Duke and Duchess of Braganca

Thailand
Princess Sirindhorn

Yugoslavia
Crown Prince ALexander and Crown Princess Katherine

Very grand celebration but strange that noone from the UK found it appropriate to attend.

Last edited:
My, it's an impressive list! Too bad King Abdulla and Queen Rania won't be there, but I do like Prince Ali & Princess Rhym.
It's strange that the Crown Prince and Princess of Spain aren't going since all the other Crown Princes(ess) are attending. Also, I'm surprised and disappointed Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg isn't going.
Anyway, I hope they have lots of pics for this event.

BTW, it was mentioned that the King had to turn down some of the world press. Did they ever have to do that before? I mean, was there more requests for press attendance this time than ever before?

Last edited:
It's strange that this time there is no Royals from the UK, although the Duke of Edinburgh was represented at the 50th birthday celebrations.

I am not surprised that Felipe and Letizia are not attending the celebrations because traditionally they never travel abroad with their majesties the Queen and King of Spain. You'll only see them together in events within Spain. Take a look at past royal weddings and if the Prince goes (even accompanying Queen Sofia), the King will not go.

I guess this is due to security purposes.

It's strange that no one from the UK or Japan will be present.

Back
Top Bottom