General News about King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia 1: February 2016 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of Stenhammar castle before. Has it been used by the RF regularly before? Is it far away from Stockholm? I also wonder why they just didn´t choose Solliden...?
Stenhammar is about 1.5 hours drive south of Stockholm and is state property. It has been leased by King Carl Gustav since the sixties and before him the leaseholder was his grandfather's brother Prince Wilhelm who spent a large part of the year at the palace. Although a leaseholder for over 50 years it's not until after a major renovation was carried out a few years ago that the King and Queen started living there regularly. Today they spend much of their free time there. Before the renovation they made use of one of the wings of the palace for their visits.

Stenhammar is about 1.5 hours drive south of Stockholm and is state property. It has been leased by King Carl Gustav since the sixties and before him the leaseholder was his grandfather's brother Prince Wilhelm who spent a large part of the year at the palace. Although a leaseholder for over 50 years it's not until after a major renovation was carried out a few years ago that the King and Queen started living there regularly. Today they spend much of their free time there. Before the renovation they made use of one of the wings of the palace for their visits.

The fast train from Stockholm to Gothenburg actually passes over the land in front of the castle.

The fast train from Stockholm to Gothenburg actually passes over the land in front of the castle.
As does the train to Malmö making Stenhammar the royal palace I've seen the most times.

Queen Silvia has given a large interview to Aftonbladet digitally

Queen Silvia: Even young people can get the virus
There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Queen Silvia hopes that solidarity and confidence will help the Swedes over the corona pandemic.
The technology sets the framework for the call which this time must be done via link. On my screen I see Queen Silvia sitting behind her desk on the estate Stenhammar where she and King Carl Gustaf have chosen to be during the corona pandemic. I thank and welcome the queen home to me at Kungsholmen.
- Thanks! For several weeks now we have been in isolation at Stenhammar. It is obviously important and has gone well, but it is also different with many meetings via Skype, and also the contact with family members. It is important to think new and be inventive!
How has the Queen reacted to the totally changed social image in Sweden and the rest of the world?
- With great surprise, but it is also very scary. It started far away, in China, and crept closer and closer. It was scary to see and then I understood how little you know despite all the experts and countries trying to understand the virus.
In an open letter yesterday, the queen turned to all elderly, relatives and care workers.
- I myself belong to the group 70+ and understand how difficult the situation is for many. Not knowing, being extradited. I wanted to convey that you should listen to all the authorities, take their advice and of course also have self-control. Then I also understand how difficult the sick are having it, especially those with dementia who have difficulty understanding the context. It is up to the relatives and caregivers to communicate everything but because the patients cannot follow reasoning they can be scared. It is difficult for all parties but extremely difficult for the relatives.
Over the years, we have met many times, just in early summer, to talk about those affected by Alzheimer's and other cognitive disorders, a patient group that the Queen has particularly cared for ever since her mother Alice was affected and then passed away in 1997.
Over the past month, alarms have come from countless elderly homes where many people are just dementia-sick and where the patients' immune systems are already basically reduced.
- Many of the patients forget to both eat and drink, says the queen, who reminds relatives to in turn remind of the importance of nutritional drinks.
An immense number of Swedish relatives cannot, for the time being, visit their relatives at elderly homes. How to endure it?
- As I wrote in the open letter, it is deeply human to want contact. Skype and Facetime are fantastic tools.
It is clearly not the same as a pat on the shoulder but still good and you can also write letters or send something that helps to communicate with the sick person.
The technical means of communication have been the rescue for the royal family as well. It is now the second month that the senior and younger members of the royal family are not meeting other than via mobile and internet. The official program has been rescheduled, but many visits and meetings are still carried out, via link.
- We use Facetime often. Someone may have seen our whole family waving at each other? I've never had as much time as now to write to the kids or relatives, and send little movies that everyone does now. Some of them crazy, but fun!
It has also emerged that many of elderly people are not so worried. Barbro Westerholm, the Riksdag's oldest member, said in an interview this week that it must be because of everything difficult elderly people have been able to participate through life. Does the Queen recognize the senior perspective?
- I understand what she means. The king also mentioned it in his speech, if you have been in difficult situations you have a knowledge that is important. Not to let yourself panic, to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is especially important for our young people to think about it.
When I ask which changes in the daily routines that have been the most difficult for the royal couple, queen Silvia thinks about the young people and looks worried. She takes a break and looks almost ready to take a stand for what appears to be the central message of the interview.
- It is shocking and very surprising to see that many young people, both in Sweden and abroad, completely ignore all advice and that they put themselves and their relatives in great danger. And even young people can get the virus! It's about enlightened youth who I thought made more sense.
For many, covid-19 or the fear of the infection has come very close, not least if some close relative has a reduced immune system. Even in the royal family, there have been serious situations over the years, including Prince Daniel's kidney transplant and most recently Princess Christina's blood cancer.
Does the royal couple feel that the pandemic concern has come very close, are you worried about relatives?
- Of course. Many have underlying illnesses and they need to be extra careful. Thankfully, I know that both Princess Christina and Prince Daniel are doing well.
When this interview is done, 2,274 Swedes have died in covid-19, many of them older, and the entire community has been invited to mobilize for the sake of the most vulnerable group.
- I want to thank everyone who works so hard and struggles at the same time as I want to ask everyone to help a little bit, says the queen, highlighting voluntary work and new initiatives.
- Many are already doing something extra. People sew protective clothing, hand out food and leave food bags. Our daughter-in-law Sofia has completed a short basic education at Sophiahemmet and is now relieving the staff there. Of course not as a nurse, but she is very happy to help.
Will the humility seen in society today continue to live on after the pandemic?
- I really hope so, says the Queen, stressing the importance of valuing the health care staff in the future.
- I think it will look different afterwards. Yes, I am convinced. Already 25 years ago when I started dementia training and Silviahemmet someone informed me about the position of the nursing staff and development opportunities. "Okay", I said. "Then I'll give them my name". The Silvia sisters thus became the collective name for dementia education.
The heart project Silviahemmet is now deserted for several months. The decision to pause the business was taken immediately.
- Everyone in the staff went back to the other care, to different hospitals. Some have also worked with our day patients, visited them at their regular accommodations, taken walks with them, to maintain continuity. It is very nice.
Queen Silvia's voice becomes more serious again and she tells of one of the nurses trained at Silviahemmet.
- One of our nurses became very ill himself. She had a heavy job in an intensive care unit. Unfortunately, several people died there. Then she became ill herself, but when she no longer had any symptoms she chose to go back and continue to help. It came very close then.
When the pandemic has come close to many, one thing we talk about is our need for constant news updates, on the verge of too much. How the royal couple does with this?
- I think it is important to take advantage of all the information you can and to listen to the press conferences. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the experts who have worked tirelessly. In parallel with the fight against the spread of viruses, the wealth of inventiveness thrives in society. Schoolchildren have lessons via Skype and families connect with older relatives in the evening to have dinner "together".
So far, the royal family has reported that they have compensated for reduced contact with children and grandchildren via mobile and the computer and court have released movie clips where they "hang out" via the internet. On April 16, they joined together with other royal houses in Europe in one video link and congratulated Danish Queen Margrethe on her 80th birthday.
Like the other grandmothers does the queen have to think a lot about how contact with grandchildren can be resolved?
- This is obviously difficult. It hurts not being able to be together, but I think of Dagny Carlsson. She is 108 years old now and learned to blog when she was 99. It´s never too late, says Queen Silvia who herself is a frequent Facetime user.
- It's not the same as being seen but so incredibly easy, really. Although, for example, Princess Madeleine is in Miami, we can suddenly see our grandchildren cycling or swimming. It's a lovely feeling.

Last edited:
The interview continues:

And on the contrary, how does Princess Estelle manage when she can't meet her grandparents?
- Estelle goes to school as usual and still has her everyday life. She is now eight years old and sees what happens with a little more seriousness than the other grandchildren. The others content themselves with shouting "Grandma!"
Many people now feel anxiety about the risk of being infected, financial consequences and loss of control over the future. How has the Queen sorted and thought about difficult situations in life?
- I understand that many are worried, but I must say that the government gives very open information about the situation. The problem is that nobody knows how long this will last, that's what makes it difficult.
Experts say that we should try to keep everything "normal" as best we can. Has the homework and the reduced mobility also brought something positive for the royal couple?
- It's strange. Everyone is painting, peddling, working in the garden. We, the king and I, have always had a very packed program but now suddenly we have time to do what we ourselves want. Meanwhile in isolation, we have had the opportunity to walk, just one such thing. To experience spring! Yesterday I saw the first lily of the valley, I have not done so in several years. We have also taken the opportunity to visit different castles, such as Tullgarn and Gripsholm, something we have always wanted to do in peace and quiet. It was just me, the king and the ghosts on study visits!
An enormous number of people read Aftonbladet every day, even more now than usual. Does the queen want to give a greeting to all of them?
- We are many who are in the same situation and we all probably understand each other's problems now. The situation is strange, dangerous and we are all at risk.
Drottning Silvia_ Även unga kan få viruset _ Aftonbladet

Drottningen är chockad över ungdomars beteende

Last edited:
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden added a new #AXION 870 to his fleet.
Swedish Agro Machinery handed over the tractor to the "Stenhammar" state farm.
The farm has been rented by the King of Sweden since 1965. Soon to be accompanied by a #DISCO 3600 FC MOVE & a #DISCO 9200 CAS.

About the king's new tractor

Tractor manufacturer Claas has revealed on Twitter that their Swedish dealer Swedish Agro was at Stenhammar and delivered a monster machine, directly from the conveyor belt at the factory. It's about the Axion 870 model - which may not mean much to us.
That is why the Swedish Lady called Anders Niléhn, ​​editor-in-chief at Lantbruksnytt. He knows all the more.
- It is a relatively large tractor, one of the larger models. It's a good tractor, he won't have to worry about it working as it should, Anders says.
The King's new purchase was significantly more expensive than the BMW.
- I would think that such a tractor costs 2.5, 3 million. It must be run a thousand hours a year for it to be profitable. But a modern tractor costs from 1.5 million upwards, says Anders.
Swedish Agro, which delivered the tractor, is a relatively new organization.
- I think it is a feather in the cap that they have been able to sell a tractor to Stenhammar, says Anders.
- The king will get much pleasure from it. Claas is a family business in the third tradition, a stable manufacturer. They have always had a good reputation.
Kungen pungar ut – visar upp nytt lyxköp _ Svensk Dam

Now when there are not any public parties and events organized, Svensk Damtidning published photos from queen Silvia's 50th birthday celebrations.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Sweden was not doing the lock down. Why is the entire RF hiding away then?

I thought Sweden was not doing the lock down. Why is the entire RF hiding away then?
Perhaps because they are acting more sensible and reasonable than the government and swedish infection rates are far more higher than neighbouring Norway or Denmark, for instance, who had much stricter lock down rules.

I thought the King and Queen, like all people over 70, had been told to stay inside and doesn't Daniel's health conditions mean he is also at higher risk.

While we don't have a general lockdown, people belonging to high risk groups like those older than 70 are advised (as in told to) isolate themselves.
All of us are advised (again as in told to) work at home if possible, stay inside as much as possible, don't mix socially with big groups of people (preferably not outside the close family or friend circle) and keep a distance of 2 meters to other people.

Last edited:

They are not hiding, they are working from home, as you can read from the court website.

From the website of the Public Health Agency of Sweden
"Our advice is therefore that you work from home, if it is possible to do so and if your employer agrees. This is to decrease the speed of transmission and the number of people needing hospital care. A rapid increase of the number of infected would put unnecessary pressure on healthcare services."

"I am 70 years old, how should I protect myself now that COVID-19 is spreading in the community?
The number of cases of COVID-19 continues to increase around the world, especially in Europe. Therefore, we recommend that anyone who is 70 or older limit their social contacts from now on.
To avoid getting infected the Public Health Agency asks you to stay at home. You should avoid travelling by bus, tram or subway, shopping in supermarkets, or visiting venues where many people gather at any one time. Instead, ask friends, family or neighbours to do your shopping etc. While remaining at home, you may still go out for walks."
COVID-19 – FAQ - The Public Health Agency of Sweden

Last edited:
At the court press room and social media yesterday:

Statement from H.M. The King due to the passing of Kristina Lugn
Due to the passing of Kristina Lugn, the member of the Swedish Academy, H.M. The King gives the following statement.
"Kristina Lugn was a prominent poet and playwright, with a unique skill that contained both humor and deep seriousness.
Me and my family will especially remember Kristina Lugn through her ”Vilar glad. I din famn”, performed at several of our family celebrations in recent years."
Uttalande från H.M. Konungen med anledning av Kristina Lugns bortgång - Sveriges Kungahus
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_-bYfzgNZn/

"Vilar glad. I din famn" ("Resting blissfully in your arms") was composed by Benny Andersson (former member of Abba) and texted by Kristina Lugn to Victoria and Daniel's wedding. It was performed by Orsa spelmän and Kalle Moraeus together with Gustaf Sjökvist's chamber choir and the Stockholm Cathedral choir.
At Estelle's and Oscar's christenings "Vilar glad. I din famn" was performed by court singer Elin Rombo.

Great drawing of the king
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_myDHAAoes/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_ug5b8gJFf/

About queen Silvia's style then and now
Drottning Silvias stil från då till nu

Queen Silvia gave yesterday, on International Nurses Day 2020, a special greeting to nurses.
With the ongoing covid-19 pandemic and the many restrictions on travel and group-size gatherings, it is not possible at the Queen Silvia Nursing Award to gather scholars and partners at the Royal Palace in Stockholm to celebrate their achievements.
A special greeting from Her Majesty Queen Silvia of Sweden on International Nurses Day 2020 _ Queen Silvia Nursing Award

Spring exhibition The Thinking Hand is an annual scholarship competition for young draftsmen. Read about this year nominees and see their artwork in the digital gallery here at the web site.
"Welcome to the fourth edition of the scholarship competition The Thinking Hand.
The scholarship was founded in connection with my 70th birthday and is devoted to Sweden’s young draftsmen.
Unfortunately, in light of the ongoing pandemic, we are unable to present the works in a physical exhibition at the Royal Palace. However, it is gratifying that an exhibition of the nominated works can be presented digitally.
This year, 352 applications came in – a record! I understand that the Royal Academy of Fine Arts had a great challenge in selecting the ten contributions that have now gone on to be exhibited here.
One thing is certain, the creative act of drawing is alive and well among the country's young artists. It is my hope that as many people as possible will have the opportunity to visit the exhibition and that they will be as impressed as I am with all the talent and skill that is on display here.
Welcome to the 2020 digital exhibition!"
Carl Gustaf

Exhibition_ The Thinking Hand - Kungliga slotten

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Silvia mourns one of the rocks in the work for Sweden's Alzheimer's disease. This since Krister Westerlund, strong and driving chairman of Alzheimer Sweden, quickly passed away this weekend.
- Krister Westerlund was chairman for many years. He was fearless and took many battles for the rights of dementia sufferers, says the queen to Svensk Damtidning.
The Queen could see up close how Krister Westerlund's work for the Alzheimer's victims and their relatives made a difference. Each year he also arranged Alzheimer's Day, which takes place on International Alzheimer's Day on September 21.
The Crown Princess was also involved and five years ago it was she who was present and awarded the Brain Foundation's anniversary grant for the vital Alzheimer's research.
- I am a genuine spokesperson because I have been very close. I have had a father, a mother-in-law and a father-in-law who passed away in dementia. Many people out there need the help I can give, Krister Westerlund told Aftonbladet 2017.
Krister Westerlund fought for the Alzheimer's victims for 25 years, but now his strong voice has been silenced and Queen Silvia is mourning an important force.
Drottning Silvia i sorg – vännen hastigt död _ Svensk Dam

It looks to be a long lonely summer for the royal couple. A tough setback for Princess Estelle's grandmother and grandfather.
The hope of a more normal existence - it is broken. The King, 74, and Queen Silvia, 76, are Sweden's best-known 70-plus people, but in the same tough corona seat as everyone else.
And the message this week that those longing for relief in the restrictions for "the younger elderly" for which it had been flagged has now frozen in - yes, it was of course received with great disappointment even at Stenhammar Castle.
“We had considered being able to raise the limit to 75 years, but the truth is that the material does not allow it, but puts many people at risk. We know that the risk of serious illness increases with increasing age. And the big increase in risk is slightly higher than 70 years” was the Public Health Agency's unkind message. So now the royal couple must continue to minimize their close physical contacts with other people.
Admittedly, the king and queen Silvia might be able to meet Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar and their cousins ​​outdoors and in two meters distance. But against this is the court's decision in principle that the king and Victoria should not meet as long as the pandemic is ongoing.
Kungaparets bakslag_ Hoppet krossat _ Svensk Dam

Queen Silvia's longing for grandchildren is enormous and especially Princess Estelle who has a very special bond to her grandmother.
Silvias starka längtan efter Estelle - Allt om kungligt

Last edited:
The elephant calf was given a royal name
The Asian elephant calf that was born at Kolmården two months ago has now been baptized. And got the name Prince. Since he was born he has gained almost 100 kg in weight.
The calf's mother, Bua, has lived at Kolmården since 2004 and was a gift from the Thai royal house to Carl XVI Gustav. And Prince's father, Tonsak, belongs to Danish Queen Margarethe and came to Kolmården in 2015.
However, within ten years Prince will leave Kolmården. He is part of the European Asian Elephant Conservation Program, the company says.
Elefantkalven fick kungligt namn - P4 Östergötland _ Sveriges Radio

Say hello to Prince!
Our little elephant calf has finally got a name. Let's introduce Prince (who is happy to celebrate his new name with a really nice sawdust bath)!
Kolmården - Säg hej till PRINCE! Vår lilla elefantkalv... _ Facebook

Distribution of scholarships from H.M. The King's Jubilee Fund for Youth in Sweden
The Board of the Foundation of H.M. The King's Jubilee Fund for Youth in Sweden, which was created on the initiative of the Swedish Lions and the Swedish Scout Association in conjunction with H.M. The King's 50th birthday, at a meeting on Monday, April 27, 2020, decided to distribute scholarships totaling SEK 328,000 as follows.
Utdelning av stipendier ur Stiftelsen Konungens jubileumsfond för ungdom i Sverige - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
The King has decided upon awards of H.M. The King's Medal and the Medal Litteris et Artibus.
H.M. The King's medal, formerly called the Hovmedaljen, from the first half of the 19th century is granted for special merit, as well as for meritorious work within the Royal Court, Kungl. Maj:ts orden and H.M. The King's staff.
Litteris et Artibus was founded in 1853 by Crown Prince Carl (XV). Litteris et Artibus is Latin and means science and art. The medal is awarded for outstanding artistic contributions in mainly music, scenic presentation and literature.
A medal-giving ceremony is planned for the fall.
Medaljförläningar 6 juni 2020 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning:
After six months of home isolation at Stenhammar and Solliden: Now the royal couple are returning to Drottningholm - at least partly.
The royal couple will leave Solliden in the next few days - and will be back at work in Stockholm next week, Margareta Thorgren. But the question is: What will be their "home base" now? Are they moving back to their "regular" private apartment on Drottningholm?
Or will they return to Stenhammar, as during the whole long corona spring? When Svensk Damtidning asks that question to the court, the answer is not crystal clear.
- I do not have any information about that yet. But it is clear that the royal couple will also be at Drottningholm.
- The King will carry out his official assignments during the autumn as far as possible, but without going against the restrictions and recommendations that apply in Sweden. There will continue to be digital meetings, but also smaller individual meetings with physical presence. The place can always be discussed, but the work is based at the Royal Palace.
Does this mean that the Crown Princess couple will have a more outward-looking role than the royal couple?
- Since the royal couple belongs to a risk group, the work may sometimes be structured in other ways. In cases where they are prevented, the king always has the opportunity to delegate assignments to the Crown Princess or to someone else in the royal family.
It was in March that the royal couple left Stockholm to isolate themselves at home on Stenhammar. They then remained there for three months,, and the only time they were back in Stockholm was in connection with the National Day celebrations on 6 June.
The week before midsummer, they moved to the summer palace Solliden, and after two months there, it will now be Stockholm and Drottningholm again - at least partly.
Kungaparets chockbesked – lämnar Öland! _ Svensk Dam

Queen Silvia has had a sad year. Within months, she has lost several close acquaintances.
The grand old lady of the Bernadotte family, Dagmar von Arbin, was the first. At Dagmar's funeral, you could clearly see that Silvia carried her grief openly.
The next tragic death was Silvia's close friend and co-worker Karin Lind-Mörnesten, who died only 62 years old and left a big void behind in the organization around Silviahemmet.
Shortly after the news of Karin's death, we were all reached by the news that Göran Alm, former head of the Bernadotte Library, had died. Another hard blow for the royal family - and for Silvia
Silvia's former secretary Margareta "Maddi" Dimander has now died at the age of 86. Maddi was a court secretary and handled large parts of the queen's communication with the outside world.
Drottning Silvia i sorg efter dödsbesked _ Svensk Dam

This is how the 70-plus king and queen will live and work this autumn.
They have been isolated at home at Stenhammar and Solliden for six months. But now the court confirms that the king and queen have moved home to Drottningholm again. From now on, they will have their work base at the Royal Palace:
- The King and Queen have returned to the Royal Palace - the official residence of the head of state.
But it is also clear that the corona situation will affect the royal couple's work this autumn as well:
- The royal couple will keep in touch with different parts of society via digital tools, the court announces.
- At the same time, the head of state plans to once again start giving audiences at the Royal Palace, in forms specially adapted to the prevailing pandemic. All activities for the King, Queen and the rest of the royal family are planned with regard to the covid-19 pandemic and current recommendations.
The news that the 70s plus the king and queen will start having "smaller individual meetings" at the Palace still means that it has brightened - at least in part.
At the same time, Crown Princess Victoria can count on stepping into the field at times when the risk to her father becomes too great due to the pandemic. This is what Margareta Thorgren says to Svensk Damtidning:
- Since the royal couple belongs to a risk group, the work may sometimes be arranged in other ways. In cases where they are prevented, the king always has the opportunity to delegate assignments to the Crown Princess or to someone else in the royal family.
Hovets besked om drottning Silvia – efter frånvaron _ Svensk Dam

The court published this photo of the king and queen at the Royal Palace today at its Facebook and Instagram
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset...2207520000../3406166329442255/?type=3&theater
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEl-Vbag9BU/

Condolences to President Kovind
On the occasion of the passing of the former President of the Republic of India Pranab Mukherjee, HM the King has sent a condolence telegram to HE President Ram Nath Kovind.
President Pranab Mukherjee paid a state visit to TM The King and Queen in 2015.
Kondoleanser till president Kovind - Sveriges Kungahus

At Håll Sverige Rent (Keep Sweden Tidy) Youtube Channel

Saturday 19 September is Keep Sweden Tidy Day.
Here comes a greeting from the King to all you heroes out there who pick up trash.
Saturday 19 September is "Keep Sweden Tidy Day". The King is the patron of the Stiftelsen Håll Sverige rent (Keep Sweden Tidy Foundation) and sends a greeting on the occasion of the day.
Kungen uppmärksammar Håll Sverige rent-dagen - Sveriges Kungahus

Court Youtube (with swedish texts)

Last edited:
Queen Silvia has been interviewed by Henrik Frenkel, the founder of Alzheimer Life Foundation.

In her first podcast interview ever, Queen Silvia talks openly about her mother's dementia and how it has affected her own life.
The Queen is also doubtful about how society has succeeded in its goal of protecting the elderly during the pandemic.
“It is extremely frightening that so many elderly people have died in the pandemic in Sweden. And it was with sadness in my heart that I saw that all the elderly who died became just a number in the statistics. Old people sat alone with their anxiety and their pain.”
In the one-hour unique podcast, Queen Silvia sits opposite me and talks about her time in quarantine, about what it was like to meet children and grandchildren at Solliden on Öland this summer, about the special stigma surrounding Alzheimer's and about the thoughts of being affected.
Listen to the unique podcast talk with Queen Silvia here.
Drottning Silvia_ ”Skrämmande att äldre som dött i pandemin bara blir en siffra i statistiken” by Hjälp, har jag Alzheimer!

I listened the podcast
The queen tells at the podcast that after their quarantine in Stenhammar she and the king met their children and grandchildren in Solliden. First came the crown princess family, and then a little later the prince family. Everyone who came to Solliden were tested for Covid-19. The meetings were done outdoors. The meetings with her grandchildren were difficult, when she couldn't hug them, of course those of them who are older, understood it and it was easier with them.

Queen Silvia in her first podcast interview: "Scary that the elderly who died in the pandemic only become a number in the statistics"
In her first podcast interview, Queen Silvia talks openly about her thoughts on having dementia in the family through her deceased mother.
In the one-hour interview, the Queen also questions her neighbors on Drottningholm for having stopped the heart project SilviaBo. The Queen suspects that it is prejudice against people with dementia that is behind the fact that the six apartments have been empty for three years.
The Queen also suggests doubts about how society has succeeded in its goal of protecting the elderly during the pandemic.
“It is extremely frightening that so many elderly people have died in the pandemic in Sweden. And it was with sadness in my heart that I saw that all the elderly who died became just a number in the statistics. Old people sat alone with their anxiety and their pain.”
Queen Silvia sits opposite me and tells me how difficult it was, when the infection was ravaging our nursing homes the most, to sit isolated at Stenhammar Castle and not be able to do anything for the elderly.
“It is easy to imagine the pain that all the elderly feel in isolation. I understand that the authorities want well but people are suffering."
I follow up by asking if we have succeeded in our most important mission, to protect the elderly during the pandemic.
"It depends on how you see it… but preferably I want to avoid answering that question."
I understand that a clearer answer can ignite the criticism of the part of the Swedish strategy that would protect the old and fragile. And there the Queen is careful, but the silence in the answer gives a hint.
We are sitting in the King's and Queen's private dining room at the Royal Palace. The Queen has invited me for her first ever podcast interview.
Monday is International Alzheimer's Day, and now the Queen wants to shed light on Alzheimer's disease and the dementia issue, which she thinks has disappeared. A very large number of those who died in Covid-19 have suffered from dementia, and become easy victims of the infection.
But the Queen also says in the interview that she followed my own journey with various forms of diagnoses, and now wants to honor my public opinion work by setting up a very personal conversation about Alzheimer's disease and how it has affected her and her family.
“SilviaBo is a project I do with my heart”
The queen is relaxed during the conversation, and sometimes a little hilarious. But at one point in the interview, it flashes in the Queen's eyes. That's when we start talking about the Queen's big heart project in recent years, SilviaBo out on Drottningholm.
Together with Ingvar Kamprad and Ikea, the Queen developed a modern form of senior apartments for couples who lived a whole life together and would now have the opportunity to live together even when one of them suffers from Alzheimer's. The Queen saw these six apartments as a pilot project to perhaps develop into a model for the whole of Sweden.
But the Queen's neighbors have stopped patients from moving into their homes. On paper for formal reasons. And for the past three years, they have been completely empty.
"This makes me very sad, that you (neighbors, authorities) can not see that it is a well-meaning project and that I do it with my heart."
I ask if the Queen deep down suspects that the real reason why the neighbors want to stop SilviaBo is due to prejudice and that but do not want dementia so close to them.
"I do not dare to ask because I am afraid it is so. It is so painful and cruel that we have nice apartments that are just empty.”
The conversation with the Queen is largely very personal. The Queen is probably the one in our country who for the past 25 years has done the most for people with dementia, and to draw attention to Alzheimer's and dementia.
"One should speak openly about the disease in the family"
The Silviahemmet Foundation was founded on the initiative of the Queen on Valentine's Day 1996 and is both a day activity and a certification of care staff in dementia issues.
The Queen realized early on that knowledge is the tool to be able to understand, help and treat a person with dementia. At Silviahemmet, both younger and older people with dementia meet daily with Silvia sisters, who with care and knowledge make sure to take care of the health of each guest.
The Queen is also behind an acclaimed certification of healthcare professionals in dementia issues.
For the Queen, the interest and commitment began with her own mother Alice becoming ill. The first sign, says the Queen, was when mother Alice was visiting Drottningholm Palace and could not pack her own suitcase. The queen's father had kept a secret from both her mother and his daughter that it was dementia.
"It was a shame, because it had helped me deal with my mother's illness", says the Queen.
But what makes me surprised - and as the Queen now tells publicly for the first time - is that the Queen herself chose when she found out about her mother's diagnosis, not to tell her mother that it was a dementia the mother suffered from. Alzheimer's and dementia are surrounded by a stigma, and it is cemented by keeping quiet and not talking about the disease.
The Queen believes that the silence was made out of consideration, but that it is something the Queen today with better knowledge regrets.
"I think the family should talk openly about the disease. It was so strange for the children that my mother could repeat five times that they had not visited them without being able to understand why.”
The Queen's mother, Alice Sommerlath, died on Drottningholm 23 years ago, but the memories and pain of her mother's illness remain. It is noticeable in the conversation, and it is a pain the Queen shares with all the relatives, to slowly see her parent disappear from her ordinary self.
We naturally get into the Queen's own fear of suffering from dementia. The Queen turns 77 in December, and the risk of developing Alzheimer's increases exponentially with age. If you also have dementia in the family, that risk is doubled.
"Are we not all afraid of it", the Queen answers my personal question.
I follow up by asking what the Queen would want if she herself suffered from dementia.
“If I were to become ill with Alzheimer's, I hope that all the work I have put in over 25 years to develop knowledge about dementia, can also help me and my family in such a situation. That they (the family ) do not get scared and can stand by my side, and that they include me.”
The Queen then says that if someone in the royal couple should suffer from a dementia disease, they will go out and tell it openly to the Swedish people, in the same way as Queen Margarethe did when her husband Prince Henrik was affected.
Other things that come up in the almost hour-long podcast interview:
Why the Queen has never before felt so much 70-plus.
How the royal couple lived during their quarantine at Stenhammar Castle.
Concerns about getting the virus yourself.
How the Queen met her children and grandchildren during the quarantine.
Why did the Queen start by investing in assistant nurses in her internationally acclaimed effort to certify health care professionals?
Why does the head of American Bank, after a visit to Silviahemmet, now train his banking staff in dementia issues?
Why the Queen's mother became so scared when she saw a dark carpet on Drottningholm.
What the Queen gives for advice to those who have anxiety because they have incipient Alzheimer's.
What to do when telling your children that you have a cognitive illness.
What the Queen thinks will be the headline in the newspapers after this podcast talk.
Drottning Silvia i sin första poddintervju_ ”Skrämmande att äldre som dött i pandemin bara blir en siffra i statistiken” - Alzheimer Life

Drottning Silvia om tiden i karantän_ ”Så mycket 70-plus”

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom