General News about King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia 1: February 2016 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Silvia has given an interview to finnish Hufvudstadsbladet newspaper (it's a paywall article).
Queen Silvia on the grief of her mother: "We should not be afraid to talk about dementia"
Drottning Silvia om sorgen efter sin mor_Vi ska inte vara rädda att tala om demens

Expressen quotes the interview
"It is very sad. There is so much that is different and it is not easy to know how to be able to support", the queen says.
She advises relatives of people who have fallen ill to be patient and use concrete measures that make everyday life easier. She highlights proven solutions such as color markings in the home, timers for electronics and removing thresholds.
The newspaper also reports that she and the king promised to be open to the Swedish people if they themselves would suffer from a dementia disease.
Drottning Silvias fina budskap – efter broderns död
Translation

:previous: This fund will support so many important causes. Currently 800,000 Swedish Krona converts to 96,994.40 US Dollars. :flowers:

The King has decided on medal awards for the H.M. The King's medal and the medal Litteris et Artibus.

H.M. The King's Medal, formerly known as the Court Medal, from the first half of the 19th century is awarded for special merits.
Litteris et Artibus was founded in 1853 by Crown Prince Carl (XV). Litteris et Artibus is Latin and means science and art. The medal is awarded for outstanding artistic contributions in mainly music, dramatic art and literature.
Medaljförläningar*6 juni*2021 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Great to see princess Christina awarded, and Peter Jöback getting the Litteris et Artibus Medal.

Singer Jill Johnson at her Instagram
"I am extremely happy and honored to be presented by the King with the historical medal Litteris et Artibus, "for outstanding artistic contributions in Swedish music life". Warm congratulations to @peterjoback and to you who this lovely national dayof Sweden received similar honorary message. Many thanks"
https://gramho.com/media/2590080806701977502

Last edited:
does anyone has this article?
Svensk Damtidning has this article about what happens to queen Silvia when Victoria becomes queen, at this week's paper issue.

Svensk Damtidning speculates queen Silvia's life with the magazine's royal expert, historian and author Herman Lindqvist, who was also Victoria and Madeleine's private teacher in history.
When the king dies, Victoria will become the Queen of Sweden. But what would happen to queen Silvia then? Even though she is a few years older than the king, life expectancy in Sweden is considerably longer for women than men. So the statistics suggest that Silvia will have to spend her last years without her beloved king. If that were to happen, queen Silvia's existence would change fundamentally. When Victoria becomes the queen, Silvia's life will look completely different. Among other things regarding her royal title. Lindqvist says that Silvia would become a queen dowager and can continue to attend representation dinners as she still has the queen rank. But queen Victoria, as queen regnant, would be higher in rank. Silvia would be titled queen and called the queen dowager.
How the royal family would solve the housing situation? Today the king and queen live at Drottningholm Palace, while Victoria lives at Haga Palace with her family. There are no regulations that say exactly where the royal family should live. But probably Victoria and her family move from a slightly less representative Haga Palace on the day she becomes queen. Lindqvist says that the royal family decides how they will live in, what will be most practical for them all.
Haga Palace is today very modern. It is thus not a bad place to live, with high comfort and security, and one thought is that queen Silvia will move there if Victoria decides to move to Drottningholm Palace. Lindqvist says that possibly they could exchange palaces with each other. Another possibility is that Silvia will remain on the spacious Drottningholm if her health should be poor and she might have difficulty living alone. The desire to be close to the family (Queen Silvia took her mother and brother Walther to live on Drottningholm when they were ill) is one of the things that suggests that Silvia would remain at Drottningholm Palace, where there are a number of different homes.
Queen Silvia could also continue to perform public duties. She could help with official assignments where needed and in the areas she is passionate about, the fight against Alzheimer's and dementia and children's rights. Lindqvist says that depending on Silvia's health, she can be involved in royal assignments. Nothing is decided by law, it all depends on her health and what is needed right then.
But it all depends of course on how old Silvia is and how lively and healthy she is in such case. Lindqvist believes that it is most likely that Silvia will more or less retire on the day that Victoria becomes queen, it is likely that she will retire from public assignments but remain in the family context.

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning has this article about what happens to queen Silvia when Victoria becomes queen, at this week's paper issue.
It's hard to say since it's all speculation, but I'm absolutely certain that Silvia won't be titled Queen Dowager. I also believe that she'll continue to take part in dinners, banquets, but besides that I think that she will focus on her charities.

Last edited:
It's hard to say since it's all speculation, but I'm absolutely certain that Silvia won't be titled Queen Dowager. I also believe that she'll continue to take part in dinners, banquets, but besides that I think that she will focus on her charities.
Why not? It makes sense.

Why not? It makes sense.
It'd be seen as very outdated. The use of words as widow and widower is unusual today.

Last edited:

And the title Queen Mother as far as I know has never been used in Sweden?

If CG isn't going to abdicate, it's a somewhat trivial and abstract discussion as the men in his family tend to live for substantial amounts of time, which is why they don't even mention the last time there was a widowed queen in Sweden.

Edit: In this case Silvia would undoubtedly be HM Queen Silvia and Vikkan will be HM The Queen. No need for any other changes.

Last edited:
And the title Queen Mother as far as I know has never been used in Sweden?
No, never. The titles used have been either Queen Dowager (änkedrottning) or in the cases of Queen Katarina and Queen Hedvig Eleonora, Queen Dowager of the Realm (riksänkedrottning).
The last Queen Dowager was Queen Sofia (1836-1913) due to the fact that both Gustav V & Gustav VI Adolf survived their wives.

Statement by HM The King due to the plane crash in Örebro
Uttalande av H.M. Konungen med anledning av flygolyckan i Örebro - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

On the occasion of the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse, HM the King has sent a condolence telegram to HE Dr Claude Joseph, the prime minister a.i. of Haiti.
Kondoleanser till premiärminister Joseph - Sveriges Kungahus

How Sweden's king became the world's most popular meme.
Så blev Sveriges kung världens mest populära meme _ SVT Nyheter
Translation

Condolences to Federal President Steinmeier
Due to the floods in Germany, H.M. the King has sent the following condolence telegram to HE Federal President Dr. Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
Kondoleanser till förbundspresident Steinmeier - Sveriges Kungahus

Condolences to King Philippe
Due to the floods in Belgium, H.M. the King has sent the following condolence telegram to HM King Philippe, King of the Belgians.
Kondoleanser till Konung Philippe - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited by a moderator:
A paywall article Expressen GT
The king gave medals to his club mates
For decades, the king has been the first honorary member of the closed men's club Royal Bachelors Club.
GT's review now shows that the king on 15 occasions handed out royal medals to his own club mates, among those praised are a governor, a judge and several directors.
Kungen gav medaljer till sina klubbkamrater

A paywall article Expressen GT
The king gave medals to his club mates
For decades, the king has been the first honorary member of the closed men's club Royal Bachelors Club.
GT's review now shows that the king on 15 occasions handed out royal medals to his own club mates, among those praised are a governor, a judge and several directors.
Kungen gav medaljer till sina klubbkamrater

Is that perceived as favoritism?

Is that perceived as favoritism?

No.

Not considering the credentials of the members.

Besides, it's not The King but the Marshal of the Realm who handles these matters. Anyone can suggest a recipient but it's mostly the county governors who nominates candidates.

Of course The King has the last word but it's never been controversal.

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia sent a congratulatory telegram to Daniel Ståhl and Simon Pettersson, who won gold and silver at men's discus at Tokyo 2020 Olympics:

The royal family follows with great interest the Swedish Olympians who compete in the summer games in Japan and rejoice in all the successes. On the occasion of yesterday's first Swedish gold medal, the King and Queen today sent a congratulatory telegram to Daniel Ståhl and silver medalist Simon Pettersson.
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset...2207520000../4459940207398190/?type=3&theater

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia sent a congratulatory telegram to pole vaulter Armand Duplantis, who won gold at men's pole vault at Tokyo 2020 Olympics:
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset...2207520000../4466884820037062/?type=3&theater

The telegram is dated at Drottningholm Palace, so obviously the king and queen have left Solliden for a while.

“Congratulations on an admirable victory! You really offered excitement at the highest level - especially when you were thrillingly close to breaking your own world record", it says in the telegram signed King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia.
Duplantis had the telegram read to him by Sportbladet's envoy at the press conference.
- It means so much, it is the king of Sweden. It's a great honor. It's as big as it can get. I am very grateful for everything Sweden has done for me, I don't think I can repay them, Duplantis said.
Kungahuset med hälsning till Duplantis_ ”En ära”

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia congratulated Malin Baryard-Johnsson, Henrik von Eckermann and Peder Fredricson for taking gold in equestrian, Jumping Team Final Jump-Off yesterday.

Condolences to Prime Minister Henry
Due to the earthquake in Haiti, H.M. The King sent the following condolence telegram to H.E. Prime Minister Ariel Henry.
Kondoleanser till premiärminister Henry - Sveriges Kungahus

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia sent telegram of congratulations to Philip Jönsson who today took gold and broke the Paralympic record of ten meters of air rifle at the Paralympic Summer Games in Tokyo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Silvia some days ago at Café Monika Ahlberg at Thielska Galleriet
"Finally we could see each other again! Today we had a nice visit to Café Monika Ahlberg at @thielskagalleriet by our lovely queen Silvia! We offered fish soup with cod, salmon, fennel, shrimp and aioli. The dessert became a pavlova of course!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTpduOpMYkz/

The King and Queen are at Norrbotten County in northern Sweden on work events:
On Friday the King attends the reinaugurating of Norrland's Dragon Regiment K4 in Arvidsjaur.
On Sunday the King and Queen attend Piteå and Luleå's 400th anniversary in Piteå and Luleå.
On Monday the King and Queen make their county visit Norrbotten County due to the covid-19 pandemic, in Luleå.

Radio Sweden P4 Norrbotten has visited the Governor's Residence in Luleå and posted at its Instagram yesterday:
At the residence in Luleå, it is reindeer-bedded in the royal couple's room.
The schedule for the visit includes the inauguration of K4 in Arvidsjaur on Friday, and Luleå's and Piteå's 400th anniversary on Sunday. On Monday, a corona-related visit is also planned.
"It is a great honor that they are coming. I have made sure that my Norrbotten costume is fresh and nice and gone through the program, which is changed to the last", says Governor Lotta Finstorp about the preparations.
At her side is Torsten Fors at the county administrative board who works hard with planning.
“It takes about six months to plan a visit like this. The court has been on a pre-visit and SÄPO is coming today", he says.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUEz4MIgJRW/

Svensk Damtidning's article (without photos from the event)
The King and Queen attended yesterday evening their close friend Tinni Fredell's 80th birthday party. Tinni has been a self-written part of their circle of friends all these years, and she has known the king and the Haga princesses since they were young.
- It's the gang from the French school, they have known each other forever and ever! And Tinni was a bridesmaid when Princess Christina got married, says a person in the circle we spoke to.
About 60 of Tinni Fredell's friends had gathered on the premises to celebrate her - and on stage was the magician and comedian John Houdi.
Svensk Damtidning contacted Houdi but he didn't want to tell about the party.
- It was super private and I can not break that trust, so unfortunately!
But he still tells a bit about the evening on his Instagram:
- Sometimes you get to do private shows when someone turns one. Tonight a person who celebrated her 80th birthday in the team of good friends in the middle of Stockholm. There was people of society and business. The king and queen were also present. They are sitting inside the glass wall behind me! I have performed for the royal couple and their children many times and I am always struck by the fact that the king reminds me so much of my father when he laughs. Fun evening!
Kungaparet på privat firande mitt i Stockholm – detaljerna inifrån lyxfesten _*Svensk Dam

The board of the King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary Fund for Science, Technology and the Environment decided at its meeting on November 22 with H.M The King as Chairman to appoint Professor Keith Paustian, "University Distinguished Professor" at Colorado State University, Department of Soil and Crop Science, as the twenty-seventh holder of King Carl XVI Gustaf's professorship of Environmental Science for 2022/23.
Innehavare av H.M. Konungens professur i miljövetenskap utsedd - Sveriges Kungahus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom