Queen Sofia not attending British Diamond Jubilee Lunch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alondra said:
You obviously know little about Spain if you think the diamond jubilee of QEII is important to Spaniards. To put it simply, they don't care.

The fact that Spain is a constitutional monarchy means the power lies within the Spanish Constitution and its elected government. Unlike in the UK, the King or Queen of Spain DO HAVE to swear the Constitution.

it's not about spainards caring it's about how Spain looks on the public stage, but I doubt you care about that either. We don't have a constitution to swear to, which has done pretty well for us for a few thousand years.

"it's not about spainards caring it's about how Spain looks on the public stage, but I doubt you care about that either."

I'm a Spaniard and Queen Sofia is the Queen of Spain. Furthermore this thread is about Queen Sofia in the Spanish forum.

Of course I care. I find astonishing you think I should care about anything but that.

You obviously know little about Spain if you think the diamond jubilee of QEII is important to Spaniards. To put it simply, they don't care.

I didnt say that the diamond jubilee is important to Spaniards - on the contrary, I agree that they dont care, like the people of many other countries who dont have QEII as a Head of State, yet all these monarchs attended because they share the same institution. This event is important to any monarchy - celebrating a fellow Queen for such an astonishing achievement.

My point is had the government given green light, Queen Sofia would have been there - the event was already listed on casareal - and I doubt the Spaniards would have resented that decision.

Its common knowledge that Sofia flies into London frequently to go shopping or see her fellow royal brother Constantin who lives there. Did somebody object 3 Spanish royals attending William's wedding - not even the heir's wedding - because of "partying in difficult times"? No, and it was their job to show up there, to represent the Spanish monarchy & State.

If it wasnt for the Gibraltar issue Queen Sofia would have gone, would have "partied" and nobody would have cared, bad times or not.

Alondra said:
"it's not about spainards caring it's about how Spain looks on the public stage, but I doubt you care about that either."

I'm a Spaniard and Queen Sofia is the Queen of Spain. Furthermore this thread is about Queen Sofia in the Spanish forum.

Of course I care. I find astonishing you think I should care about anything but that.

Well that's what Duke of Marmalade was talking about, but you turned it on its head to something it didn't mean. Spain was almost disrespectful by not sending representation.

Duke of Marmalade said:
I didnt say that the diamond jubilee is important to Spaniards - on the contrary, I agree that they dont care, like the people of many other countries who dont have QEII as a Head of State, yet all these monarchs attended because they share the same institution. This event is important to any monarchy - celebrating a fellow Queen for such an astonishing achievement.

My point is had the government given green light, Queen Sofia would have been there - the event was already listed on casareal - and I doubt the Spaniards would have resented that decision.

Its common knowledge that Sofia flies into London frequently to go shopping or see her fellow royal brother Constantin who lives there. Did somebody object 3 Spanish royals attending William's wedding - not even the heir's wedding - because of "partying in difficult times"? No, and it was their job to show up there, to represent the Spanish monarchy & State.

If it wasnt for the Gibraltar issue Queen Sofia would have gone, would have "partied" and nobody would have cared, bad times or not.

Well said!

"Well that's what Duke of Marmalade was talking about, but you turned it on its head to something it didn't mean. Spain was almost disrespectful by not sending representation."

Just because the Mail and Telegraph said so, didn't make it so. :whistling:

While I doubt Queen Elizabeth took a personal offence at Queen Sofia's absence, I do agree with those who say it would have been nice to send a representative to the Jubilee celebrations.

If the Emperor and Empress of Japan chose to attend despite their advanced age and a recent (very serious) operation undergone by the Emperor, it shows that the event is important, at least as far as Monarchies are concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Its common knowledge that Sofia flies into London frequently to go shopping or see her fellow royal brother Constantin who lives there."

It's been "known" in Spain for a long time that she has a house in London and lives there except when her agenda takes her to Spain. What does her private life got to do with her duties as a Queen though?

"Did somebody object 3 Spanish royals attending William's wedding - not even the heir's wedding - because of "partying in difficult times"? No, and it was their job to show up there, to represent the Spanish monarchy & State."

Again politics. It's a dance of pull and push. JC and Sofia didn't attend Charles and Diana's wedding for the same reason - Gibraltar. Three or four years later they were having fun in Majorca with their kids. They are good friends aside from the responsibilities they have to their countries and governments.

Royals know and accept those responsibilities - certainly better than some of you do.

I think Queen Sofia would have liked to go and Queen Elizabeth would have liked to have her. But the event went on brilliantly anyway.
I am sure the King and the Queen of Spain have sent their congratulations in a private way.
The thing is, Spain did not want the Queen to go because of Gibraltar and they have the right to do that. And Queen Sofia had to comply.
She is very correct and always represents her country very well and I am sure that although she missed the opportunity to meet her pairs and relatives, she is no teenager to be crying over that like a girl who missed a night out because her parents had forbidden her to go. Queen Elizabeth understood everything very well, I am certain.

W

If the Emperor and Empress of Japan chose to attend despite their advanced age and a recent (very serious) operation undergone by the Emperor, it shows that the event is important, at least as far as Monarchies are concerned.

If the Emperor and Empress of Japan attended is a choice approved by their government. I certainly don't believe they would attend a ceremony in a country they have a territorial dispute with, if there is a possibility of a diplomatic confrontation while attending the party/ceremony.

In relation to Gibraltar, I'm reporting your post. The mods made it clear not to engage in political posts. If I can do so, so do you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm closing this thread as its spiralling out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom