Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 1: June 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's very active for her age. Seems to never slow down, except for the COVID-related limitations. Good on her!

The Royal Decree of 1982 limits official membership of the Spanish Royal Family to the King's spouse, the King's descendants and the King's living parents. That means the King's sisters are no longer working royals (Infanta Cristina in practice was already out before that due to her husband's legal troubles). The King's daughters on the other hand are still underage and the King's father, the King Emeritus, is in exile in the UAE.

That leaves only King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and the Queen Emerita as working royals in a country of 47 million people (the second largest kingdom in population size in Europe, after the UK), on top of the international engagements that the Spanish royals also have, especially in the Ibero-American countries. I don't think Queen Sofia does a lot of official work these days, but she is not in a position to retire yet.

Last edited:
That leaves only King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and the Queen Emerita as working royals in a country of 47 million people (the second largest kingdom in population size in Europe, after the UK), on top of the international engagements that the Spanish royals also have, especially in the Ibero-American countries. I don't think Queen Sofia does a lot of official work these days, but she is not in a position to retire yet.
Yes, she really isn't in a position to say goodbye. I don't think the scandals around JC are buried as deeply in the past as the SRF would like to show.

Still, for Sofia's age, her level of activity is rather remarkable.

Still, for Sofia's age, her level of activity is rather remarkable.

Yes Queen Sofia is a pretty remarkable lady and little wonder she's Spain's favourite royal.

Queen Sofia visit the island of Leipsoi yesterday 31 May to see the facilities of the Aegean Marine Life Shelter

https://www.newsit.gr/ellada/stous-...tin-ypodextike-o-giorgos-amyras-pics/3296349/

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=01-06-2021 Queen

Today 1 June Queen Sofia paid a visit to the renovated National Gallery.
Queen Sofia and her sister, Princess Irene, were welcomed by the Minister of Culture and Sports, Lina Mendoni. The director of the National Gallery, Marina Lambraki-Plaka, took a tour.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2ytWHMX0AU9yP6?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
That's the former Royal Palace in Athens and must be very poignant for Queen Sofia and her sister to be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the former Royal Palace in Athens and must be very poignant for Queen Sofia and her sister to be there.

And they where standing on the stairs where so many Group pics have been taken during the Monarchy among others the Wedding pics of her and King JC. If i would be here i would have told them that i have so many happy memories of these stairs.

Last edited:
And they where standing on the stairs where so many Group pics have been taken during the Monarchy among others the Wedding pics of her and King JC. If i would be here i would have topld them that i have so many happy memories of these stairs.

Exactly what I was thinking too Stefan.

Queen Sofia and her sister Princess Irene met with the President of Greece Katerina Sakellaropoulou in Athens today, June 4.

Afterwards they met Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and his wife:

Video with the meeting with the PM

At the beginning of the meeting, the Prime Minister and his wife presented the works of art of young artists

Then about the course of the pandemic and the improvement that is being recorded.
"Things are generally going better in our country, I think everywhere in Europe, and in Spain I see that things are going better," said the Prime Minister.

"I must say: everyone admires you," said Sofia.

"Be well, we are making a great effort," the Prime Minister replied, referring to the collective effort made by our country to deal with the pandemic.

They then discussed the renovation of Tatoi:
Prime Minister: Did you go to Tatoi?
Queen Sophia : No.

Prime Minister: I would very much like the next time you come to go together and share your memories from Tatoi, because it is a very important job to highlight the place.
Queen Sophia : I think little has changed, after so many years now.

Prime Minister: We want to highlight the whole space, because it was indeed an omission that the space was so neglected. Too many people go. And now will be an opportunity. We have made a very nice study overall for the highlighting of the area, all the old buildings, the tombs ... We will make a very gentle development, we will give life back to the farm we will produce agricultural products and we will make it a pole accessible for all citizens especially of the Basin. It will be something very nice, next time I will be very happy to guide you.

Last edited:
This conversation is very dirty. The Tatoi Palace belonged to the Greek Royal Family, there are the memories of his family including his private assets.

Queen Sofia knows that for her family it has been very cruel that they did not return their house to her brother, and the photos, pictures, dresses... photos ... If he knows that it has been very hard for the family, Why does he says it to Queen Sophia?
That Prime Minister knows little about protocol.

I found this comment in the group" the greek royal family "on facebook.
"The Prime Minister could have been more polite, and he cauld have invited Queen Sofia to visit Tatoi's palace with her family, especially with her brother, whom he seems to have excluded from any participation. The Tatoi Palace was the property of King Constantine from1964 to 2002 , he received it of his father, King Paul. it was confiscated in 1995 by the State, and in 2000 the Strasbourg court of human rights declared the confiscation contrary to property right of King Constantine. The government refused to hand over the palace, and in 2002 was forced to pay compensation. The palace of Tatoi is and will continue to be the object of a political campaign against King Constantine, currently it is excluded from participating in any restoration of the Palace.

I would add that Mr. Kyriakos Mitsotakis could repeal the law that removed the passport to King Constantine in 1995, currently he has a courtesy passport delivered by Denmark, which allows him to move around the world and move around European countries. The King was born in Athens, and had Greek nationality from 1940 to 1995 where a law of a politician named Evangelios Venizilenos took away his passport and took away his nationality from him. I know that many Greeks want to see that palace rebuilt, many even think that if the palace is restored, the government will be forced to invite the king, but that is not true.

I also have to say that I was surprised to see that Queen Sofia and Princess Irene have not gone to visit their brother for his 81st birthday, and if they have been to visit the President of the Republic, the Prime Minister ...

King Constantine begins to give me great sorrow, when he was in good health, everyone went to visit him, everyone wanted a photo with him, so they could see that they supported him and loved him very much ..., now that he is sick, They just don't visit it but now they all seem to be there, I don't know how to explain it, taking advantage , EVERYONE(SOPHIA TOO...) of what his misfortunes were, I think this expression can be good. And yes, I'm talking about Reina Sofia among others.

Last edited:
Bravo queen Sofía a very energetic lady in her 80's.

Yesterday Queen Sofia attended the premiere of the Festival Athens at The Odeon of Herodes Atticus Theatre in Athens together with King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Irene:

** gtresnews gallery ** rex gallery ** hola article **

Last edited:
Lovely to see Queen Sofia with her siblings and sister in law all together in Greece!

So on Saturday Queen Sofia was in Spain and yesterday she was already back in Greece if i got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom