King Juan Carlos's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
How long will the King stay in hospital? Another surgery in 8 weeks must be quite difficult for and tiring for him.
I must say Letizia looks really good!

Why must it be insecurity when confirming protocol for certain events during the King's recovery?
Maybe it is selfish or egomanic not to share power, but that is the trait of a king, you see the same thing in Britain, Sweden or Denmark.
Sofia is the same, she is not tired to say that Felipe has to wait and is very aware of her position as Queen. You can call it old school but this generation thinks that monarchy is for life.
The life story of Juan Carlos and Sofia gives so many answers to all the questions that people are now debating, not understanding why they are acting the way they do.
There has never been the need for Juan Carlos to be insecure because he has been the most powerful and influencial monarch compared to his european counterparts. Felipe will inherit none of this and compared to his father, he won't have much to say. The ruling elite is entangled with Juan Carlos and they will cut back Felipe to what they think is sufficient, he will be reduced to what he is supposed to be on paper. Juan Carlos was and still is so much more.

Sofia had only said it once in her biography a few years ago, it was the media, mainly JC's supporters such as Jaime Penafiel, had been repeating her statement again and again. Some of the most powerful dictators were also the most insecure persons, plus JC's power or connection has gradually diminished due to the wave of new generation leaders, especially in South America. Once those aging leaders in the Middle East are gone, JC pretty much doesn't have much left.

Reverse sexism among Royal-watchers..

Though I have always found it at highest levels of monarchy, there is no more striking exampe for reverse sexism among us TRF posters, than the present situation...

If a female monarch decides to stick to the throne forever, then it is "devotion to duty".."selfless service'.."abiding to vows"..etc etc
But if a male monarch does the same, then he is arrogant, selfish, egomaniac, insecure.......

If the children of a female monarch do something wrong, then they are the ones to be wronged..Poor Queen was so busy we cant blame her for upbringing issues..
But if the children of a male monarch do something wrong, then everything is blamed on him..he raised them that way..he encouraged them to do illegal things..he is shielding them..he is influencing things to get them away...

Just a few examples..

Though I have always found it at highest levels of monarchy, there is no more striking exampe for reverse sexism among us TRF posters, than the present situation...

If a female monarch decides to stick to the throne forever, then it is "devotion to duty".."selfless service'.."abiding to vows"..etc etc
But if a male monarch does the same, then he is arrogant, selfish, egomaniac, insecure.......

If the children of a female monarch do something wrong, then they are the ones to be wronged..Poor Queen was so busy we cant blame her for upbringing issues..
But if the children of a male monarch do something wrong, then everything is blamed on him..he raised them that way..he encouraged them to do illegal things..he is shielding them..he is influencing things to get them away...

Just a few examples..
How right you are !:)

Just a few examples..

You are 100% correct.

If you could bring up a factually similar case to that of JC, Inaki, and Cristina, I would consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
GracieG,
Well QMII has had hip or knee replacements. She was unable to make a state visit to Chile because she could not take the long journey. When she is out and about on engagements in Denmark her aids have a chair at the ready in case she feels pain and needs to sit awhile, No one seems to be calling for her to step aside or claiming she is too old and needs to be put out to pasture to let a younger generation take over.

GracieG,
Well QMII has had hip or knee replacements. She was unable to make a state visit to Chile because she could not take the long journey. When she is out and about on engagements in Denmark her aids have a chair at the ready in case she feels pain and needs to sit awhile, No one seems to be calling for her to step aside or claiming she is too old and needs to be put out to pasture to let a younger generation take over.

That is understandable, if you think the possibility of Frederik as a King. Maybe the people in Denmark realize that he isn't ready for being a regent yet.

That is understandable, if you think the possibility of Frederik as a King. Maybe the people in Denmark realize that he isn't ready for being a regent yet.

I dont think its that. Polls have shown that people support Frederik and think he is ready. Plus, Frederik has been regent (he is currently regent from the 21st to the 30th)

I think its more that people like the Queen and feel she has and is doing a good job. :flowers: Plus abdication is not a tradition in Denmark.

back to the topic, I hope the King recovers and gets the rest he needs

GracieG,

I think you're missing the overall point. If JC were the JC of old, the one who brought democracy to Spain and created all the "juan carlistas,", you'd have a point. I really don't believe people would be calling for him to step aside under the circumstances. When people call upon JC to step aside due to his knee, his hip, his age, it's really due to the underlying scandal, the underlying crimes which have allegedly been committed by members of his family and of which evidence indicates he had some knowledge and helped to arrange golden parachutes for his family. I know of no female monarch in even a remotely comparable situation.

I really don't see how anyone can overlook the Urdangarin situation when assessing the motivations and underlying prejudices of people who call for him and not Margrethe or Elizabeth or until recently Beatrix to step aside. :flowers:

Why Cristina must always have her secretary Carlos García Revenga with her?
Aren't there any less contradictory persons to take her to the hospital?

Why Cristina must always have her secretary Carlos García Revenga with her?
Aren't there any less contradictory persons to take her to the hospital?

Because both infantas are living in another world, Revenga is a permanent character in their public and private life, and they do not seem to understand how harmful it is for the Crown that this man always appears beside them.

The Royal House should not allow it, he should be removed from all public activity until the courts resolve all doubts about him... but I imagine that the infantas defend him to the end.

Because both infantas are living in another world, Revenga is a permanent character in their public and private life, and they do not seem to understand how harmful it is for the Crown that this man always appears beside them.

The Royal House should not allow it, he should be removed from all public activity until the courts resolve all doubts about him... but I imagine that the infantas defend him to the end.

The dynamic is certainly fascinating, is it not?

For how long Will jc recovervand Will felipe take on more duties during this time?

I think you're missing the overall point. If JC were the JC of old, the one who brought democracy to Spain and created all the "juan carlistas,", you'd have a point. I really don't believe people would be calling for him to step aside under the circumstances. When people call upon JC to step aside due to his knee, his hip, his age, it's really due to the underlying scandal, the underlying crimes which have allegedly been committed by members of his family and of which evidence indicates he had some knowledge and helped to arrange golden parachutes for his family. I know of no female monarch in even a remotely comparable situation.

I really don't see how anyone can overlook the Urdangarin situation when assessing the motivations and underlying prejudices of people who call for him and not Margrethe or Elizabeth or until recently Beatrix to step aside. :flowers:

Gracie, I have already clearly replied for all your questions in post#343.
OK once again.. The King has not committed any crime.
A member of his family did.
But why didnt the judiciary punish her?
You say The King "influenced"..
Well..is there a clause in Spanish constitution that The King's influence has to be considered before trying a member of The RF?
Did the King threaten of a countercoup or something if his daughter is tried?
Does the "evidence" you are claiming supports any of the above? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........
So, basically, the fault is NOT WITH THE KING, but the Spanish legal/juducial/administrative system..
WHY EXACTLY SHOULD THEY FALL FOR THE KING'S INFLUENCE?
They should entertain neither fear nor favour.. Isnt it the basic principle of judiciary?
And people simply want to King to call the police and say.. My SIL is a fraudster, come and arrest him..
No monarch..no human being will do so..
Do you think QEII never really knew of Andrew's shady deals and associations well before they actually surfaced? And upon that she immediately incensed him with GCVO the moment charges started coming in..
I am not blaming them..It is the basic parental protective instinct..
It is for the judiciary to work for justice..
If they fail in that..you cannot compensate for it by making the King abdicate..

I know of no female monarch in even a remotely comparable situation.

FYI Queen Julian'a husband..husband I repeat..not an in-law..was involved in Lockheed Scandal..and even got away with all that perfectly..no one demanded her abdication for keeping quiet inspite of knowing..or trying to shield him later..

I stand by my observations that male monarchs are treated unfairly compared to female monarchs, when it comes to judging them by the wrong-doings of their family members..
ABSOLUTELY NO OFFENCE TO ANY MONARCHS I RESPECT THEM ALL EQUALLY..

Last edited:
If people think that there is a basis on what Juan Carlos should abdicate or make Felipe regent at this stage I doubt that a constitutional monarchy is the right political system for Spain going forward.

I hope that Felipe and Letizia take with them Leonor&Sofia the next time they're going to visit The King.

It is a matter of moral responsability, not legal. A Head of State that fails to meet his responsibilities, is a Head of State that lose the respect of his citizens. The Monarchy lives of gestures and when gestures are negative it is inevitable that people react.

The king is the head of his house and his family, and therefore ultimately responsible for everything that happens in it. No one can believe that the king had no information about that Inaki Urdangarin was taking advantage of his position, precisely for that reason they forced him to leave Noos. But they acted too late and way too weak. And we have seen the consequences... that are bad for the Crown, but also for the country's image.

If the king had acted responsibly, people probably would have ended up forgetting, but Botswana happened. That was his greatest act of irresponsibility as Head of State. Because in the most critical week of the economic crisis, when the country was about to be intervened... the Head of State had decided to take a vacation outside the country (when the previous 10 days had been the Easter holidays), to a luxury hunting in Africa, with a girl friend with more dubious business that Urdangarin and citizens had no idea.

When the situation was already difficult, that further complicated everything.
Citizens have lost confidence in their head of state, and that is very hard to recover, especially when he is sick and the country in a difficult situation.

The debate in Spain is not only about Juan Carlos... king, father or person ... is a debate especially on Juan Carlos as Head of State... at a time of severe economic and institutional criris. The debate arises not only because the king is sick, or the case Urdagarín ... debate arises for a whole set of circumstances of different class. There are many aspects and ways of analyzing the whole debate.

Medical Part 2 - September 26

http://www.casareal.es/ES/Documents/20130926_parte_medico_2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
No Duke, in the previous surgery he arrived driving the car of the infantas, but went to park it and arrived a few minutes later.

I think the queen and her daughters defend him. It is unfortunate because his presence in pubic acts is very negative for the Crown, at least until his legal situation is resolved, should be working in the office. I imagine that publicly support him, protects Infanta Cristina ...

All media have highlighted his presence yesterday, and that was so unnecessary ...:bang:

I guess if the King would say 'don't show up' he wouldnt ... so its not only the Queen & the Infantas.

Back
Top Bottom