King Juan Carlos's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think infection could mean added risk/complications to an operation, especially if the person is in frail health.

Last edited:
Praise the Lord it wasn't the abdication

Left hip surgery to replace the prosthesis that is infected.

Doctor Cabanela of Mayo Clinic will do the surgery in Madrid.

And all this just to announce this :bang:

You seem disapointed :ermm:.I guess you were hoping for an abdication;)
Even if I am no longer a great fan of King Juan Carlos and by other members of that dysfonctionnal family ,I cannot but feel very sad for him.

This is a very bad news and I hope him a speedy recovery.
Being compassionnate is the minimum expected from a human being.

I don't think the King will ever abdicate, he, along with Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe II, will reign until the day he falls from the Throne, dead. And that's a good thing, Kingship is a job for life, in my opinion.

But maybe a Regency will turn to be a good idea. The King will be able to relax and recover, and the Prince of Asturias will get the chance to show he'll be a good Sovereign, and I have no doubts he will.

I agree, I also think Juan Carlos won't abdicate, although I can see Felipe performing more of his royal duties. IIRC he has said that he isn't going to abdicate (Queen Margarethe has also said this). However I think that abdicating could be a good decision.

Hopefully he will recover soon.

Last edited:
I hope His Majesty's operation is a success and that he has a swift recovery!

They organized a press conference, have revolutionized and made ​​the country full of rumors all day ... simply to announce another surgery.

I think it was totally unnecessary, with a statement as before would have been enough. They could not say when the surgery is, or where... Could not have waited at least to be clear about the basic data? :bang:

Spain and the Monarchy already has enough problems, to cause unnecessary spectacles.

The king is a Head of State who has been absent half the time in the last three years. Because the King and politicians, Spain does not even have a regency law that allows the Prince to replace him in many activities. In a country with economic and institutional crisis, with a monarchy threatened by the scandals ... this situation is an absolute mess.

so many surgeries in sush short time must be painful,i hope for his Majesty quick recover

Last edited:
You seem disapointed :ermm:.I guess you were hoping for an abdication;)
Even if I am no longer a great fan of King Juan Carlos and by other members of that dysfonctionnal family ,I cannot but feel very sad for him.

This is a very bad news and I hope him a speedy recovery.
Being compassionnate is the minimum expected from a human being.
Mmmm...I agree with Lula here. You should have seen the expectation created this afternoon with the press conference, the comments on Twitter, etc...

I was at the University and my classmates were talking about it. Everyone of us were like: "I don´t think so, but what if...?" Everything was very confusing. It this was the only announcement to make, all this fuss was completely unneccessary. They could have perfectly announced it in the morning if they had wanted to avoid the comments. I agree with Duke too, they wanted to make clear that he isn´t going to abdicate any time soon.

It doesn´t have to do anything with being compassionate, actually.

I don´t really understand your post. It isn´t a secret that some of us here would like the King to retire. And I don´t think it´s a crime, either, is it?
But insinuating that we show no compassion or we are dissapointed...well, that is going a little too far, don´t you think?

Mmmm...I agree with Lula here. You should have seen the expectation created this afternoon with the press conference, the comments on Twitter, etc...

I was at the University and my classmates were talking about it. Everyone of us were like: "I don´t think so, but what if...?" Everything was very confusing. It this was the only announcement to make, all this fuss was completely unneccessary. They could have perfectly announced it in the morning if they had wanted to avoid the comments. I agree with Duke too, they wanted to make clear that he isn´t going to abdicate any time soon.

It doesn´t have to do anything with being compassionate, actually.

I don´t really understand your post. It isn´t a secret that some of us here would like the King to retire. And I don´t think it´s a crime, either, is it?

Completely agree.... and yes, a thunderstorm at the wrong time, bad PR and a (another) awkward step.
They MUST have expected spreading rumors like this - which is even more questioning the king and the continuity of his reign. If situations like these continue, sooner or later the People may BAG him some day to leave the throne.
Bye Bine

Vanity Fair article has stated very clearly what will happen or not happen:

For the most part, Spain’s political and media establishments would prefer that the King stay, fearing a shock to the system were he to leave while the nation is in such dire straits. “We are very clear against abdication,” said Pedro Ramírez. “You ask for the resignation of the minister of health or foreign affairs if he has done something wrong. But you don’t ask for the abdication of the King, just because he has been out of the country on a weekend in Botswana with a blonde woman. El Mundo is saying the only two scenarios in which we would ask for abdication would be, first, if he has a serious health problem—mainly mental incapacity. And, second, if there were not circumstantial evidence but real proof of wrongdoing.”

I dont understand why do they ring "abdication-bells" every time something happens..
That fellow, whoever he is, has spoken so sensibly. Just because he went on a hunting trip with a blonde doesnt mean he has to abdicate.The King has hardly done any mistake beyond that..
Those silly people taking out all the revenge for bad economy,policy failure, political mismanagement, on The King, and hoping his abdication will cure Spain of all its problems ..its ridiculous..

Last edited:
I dont understand why do they ring "abdication-bells" every time something happens..
That fellow, whoever he is, has spoken so sensibly. Just because he went on a hunting trip with a blonde doesnt mean he has to abdicate.The King has hardly done any mistake beyond that..
Those silly people taking out all the revenge for bad economy,policy failure, political mismanagement, on The King, and hoping his abdication will cure Spain of all its problems ..its ridiculous..

Sounds very Marie Antoinette. Let's blame the royals not the incompetent ministers and politicians

JC's grey men used the announcement to show who's boss. There will be a surgery but JC is firm in his place. He will not give one bit to Felipe.
In my opinion, and the quotation re abdication I posted earlier, JC will die as King with the only possibility of abdication because of mental incapability. Another important point is that he will take his immunity to his grave. Those who have followed King Juan Carlos over the past decades will know that bringing Spain to democracy wasnt a straight walk in the park and in case of abdication/lost immunity there might be people out there who could start digging. That would be the worst immaginable start for a King Felipe.

If Felipe will have his time and place will others decide, not Juan Carlos by inthronising him on his behalf.

JC's grey men used the announcement to show who's boss. There will be a surgery but JC is firm in his place. He will not give one bit to Felipe.

What is the necessity to show who's the boss..
Of course The King is and will be the boss.

What is the necessity to show who's the boss..
Of course The King is and will be the boss.

as a response to those who think that its time for felipe to replace his father or become regent during his time of recovery.
i dont think we would have this discussion if beatrix or albert hadnt packed in (for different reasons).
i personally find it outrageous that somebody is labelled 'to old for a job' because of physical problems. the mind is crucial, not the body. its respectless to say, after such a long reign and achievements for spain, step aside old man, because you are wobbly on your feet, and let your son do the job. on what basis? the hunting weekend was a grave mistake that the king recognized and apologized for. its no reason to step down, if so the institution would not be worth its name.

The problem is that the abdication was an absolute taboo, and in the last year it is not, and that has caused much fear in some, especially those in power and the most conservative. But fear of losing their own power and influence that the change is negative for the country.

The economic crisis, corruption problems, caused a crisis in the Crown and other institutions. Ideally, the king, the politicians and those who have the power, had listened to citizens, and should give the steps for a change. The reality is that despite all that has happened, they hold the power to change as little as possible.

Somehow people, think in a second transition, a younger generation, well-educated and earn to do things differently. Strong leaders who are willing and prepared to fight for the country forward. Obviously a king sick and old, embroiled in scandals of lovers and corruption that can barely meet many of his functions ... is not the best leader for a country also sick and tired.

The king gives the feeling of being a sick man clinging to power ... has tried to accelerate his recovery and that only managed to have relapses and problems... no abdication, no regency, only gives the Prince strictly necessary activities ...

It was perfect a solution as Norway, King Harald was sick and Haakon held the regency. The king recovered safely and the country did not see a weak leader.

Duke, the problem is not Corinna the German mistress, the problem is Corinna the commission of millionaires business. There's the scandal.

Noos and Corinna have put the king in the epicenter of corruption scandals. Those close to him have used his influence to do business millionaires and of dubious legality ... he has looked the other way.

Not to mention the many efforts being made for his daughter is not tried as a normal citizen and her golden exile in Switzerland.

as a response to those who think that its time for felipe to replace his father or become regent during his time of recovery.
i dont think we would have this discussion if beatrix or albert hadnt packed in (for different reasons).
i personally find it outrageous that somebody is labelled 'to old for a job' because of physical problems. the mind is crucial, not the body.

totally agree, if you want comparisons:
Franklin D. Roosevelt, often regarded as one of the best US presidents, had some major physical problems, but that didn't stop him from ruling the country..
And the scientific world would have greatly suffered if people had convinced Stephen Hawking he was no longer useful when his physical problems began...

I'm not against abdication as such, but only if the person himself wishes it...

i personally find it outrageous that somebody is labelled 'to old for a job' because of physical problems. the mind is crucial, not the body. its respectless to say, after such a long reign and achievements for spain, step aside old man, because you are wobbly on your feet, and let your son do the job. on what basis? the hunting weekend was a grave mistake that the king recognized and apologized for. its no reason to step down, if so the institution would not be worth its name.

I totally agree with you Duke.I really don't understand why some think Felipe will be a be better king.If King Juan Carlos with all his achievements for Spain has become a so easy target ,I wonder what it will happen to Felipe and Letizia ;)
At the end of the day,Felipe is the King's son,he isn't a commoner.For most people he is only a highly previleged person.Letizia is already seen as someone who joined the camp of the most previleged.Her rhinoplasty that wasn't made public at the begining didn't help and only made the rumous of more surgeries plausible.Given the economic situation in Spain,that doesn't help.

IMO, JC hunting trip,his mistress,Letizia's rhinoplasty,Cristina new home in Geneva,Letizia not willing to spend more time in Mallorca and the consequent rumours(holidays abroad,surgery),Inaki's affair,Sofia the betrayed but impassive Queen .... aren't only harming the King but all the royal family including Felip.
An abdication won't strenghen Felipe but will harm the monarchy.
I am stunned when I hear some saying that the media attacks against Letizia are organised by Zarzuela.Imo those attacks are harsh because JC position is weak.The more The BOSS is attacked,the more the others will be targets because all the barriers and taboos are broken.

In my opinion, and the quotation re abdication I posted earlier, JC will die as King with the only possibility of abdication because of mental incapability.

Once the monarch is mentally incapable an abdication isn't possible because the monarch can't agree to abdicate and what you would then have is a coup d'état and the next monarch would be a usurper. The monarch has to be mentally sound to both carry out their duties AND agree or decide to abdicate.

So, according to this, we should abolish retirement age :whistling:

Personally, I think no public position should be lifetime. IMO, of course ;)

..He'll get over it,...as will this forum....Eventually...and as for Spanish rags.....which gesture would fit best...grin..

Last edited:
I think Spanish people is still smart enough to differentiate between gossip and serious problems and crimes. And often, to know when they want to sell gossip to hide and cover up what is really serious.

Mix the stupid gossip about Letizia´s clothes or surgery ... with serious Noos corruption scandal, or the scandal of a mistress of King dedicated to making shady deals with Spanish companies ... is absurd.

Yes, this summer those who do not want anything to change have created a campaign against Letizia with the excuse of Mallorca ... an easy and lucrative way to distract people.

While the King's health deteriorates, Vanity Fair writes negative about the king and the reappearance of Corinna, Infanta Cristina moved to a luxurious exile in Switzerland while still being investigated by the judge for tax reasons, it is discovered that the King has made a millionaire loan to his daughter to buy the house of scandal, the secretary of the infantas still charged and working at the palace...

With the media reports of how unpopular Letizia is I think an abdication is the last thing the Borbón Monarchy needs,I'd like to see Felipe/Letizia and their daughters enjoy another few years of near normality.

Honestly, Letizia is secondary, as is Sofia, who by the way, when she became queen was not very popular...

This is an institutional problem, political, of State... the problem of a sick country that needs a strong Head of State, with ability to assimilate many changes needed in the institution and the country.

So, according to this, we should abolish retirement age :whistling:

Again: if people wish to retire they should do so, but not because others tell them to, even in jobs were a retirement age is an option, people sometimes get another job after their retirement or are asked back as a consultant etc.

Who are we to tell others they are too old for a job they love to do or see it as their mission to do so...?

The king's health maybe frail but his mind is still sound and astute,though it maybe disappointing for some the King has never indicated that he will abdicate.

Back
Top Bottom