King Juan Carlos's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO....the king is up to visitors. With the PM and wife visiting it indicates to the public the King is not considered critical and can have visitation from others that are not family. Also if other visitors are allowed it does not fall onto the family to go several times a day, especially with their current duties. Having DIL and grand daughter visit is fine....there is nothing wrong with that...besides their are probably many medical staff around, especially since he is a King, retired or not. Maybe his grand daughter wanted a special visit.

I find it really strange that QL visited alone with Leonor. If my father-in-law were in the hospital I wouldn't be visiting him without my spouse or mother-in-law. I'm not his daughter and wouldn't want to make it awkward for him.

Letizia has been part of the family for 15 years and is the mother of two of Juan Carlos grandchildren. I don't find it odd at all that Letizia and Leonor paid JC a visit.

Letizia is the queen consort of Spain and I don't find it odd at all for visiting without the King,it was the PM visit I found odd.

It's nice to see that Leonor and Sofia visited on different days - it's a good idea IMO for both the princess and the infanta to have some individual "quality time" with their grandfather whilst he recovers.
I find it more odd that people think it's odd Letizia is alone. As has already been said, she's been a part of the family for a long time and is the mother to two of Juan Carlos's grandchildren. That's pretty much part of the family to me; just because in-laws aren't blood relations doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated as outsiders still and not blood relatives. (Maybe I just have a tight-knit family, but I'm very used to in-laws being treated like their spouse's parent's own biological child).

The prime minister must have gone to visit King Juan Carlos to show that he is close to the royal family. I don't think there's anything wrong, but those who follow Spanish politics know that Pedro Sánchez is very fond of appearing ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see an issue with in-laws visiting without their partners but I guess it very much depends on your family dynamics.

Equally if they are only visiting in pairs makes sense for Felipe to go with one of the girls and Letizia the other.

Interesting that the PM visited, seems a little odd IMO unless they are close?

I don't see an issue with in-laws visiting without their partners but I guess it very much depends on your family dynamics.

Equally if they are only visiting in pairs makes sense for Felipe to go with one of the girls and Letizia the other.

Interesting that the PM visited, seems a little odd IMO unless they are close?

It did happen here in the Netherlands as well: a PM visiting a former Queen, or a former Consort. Then the reason is: they belong to the Royal House, for which the PM is politically responsible. This will not be different with the Casa Real and the Spanish PM.

Is she a nurse? I think they already took care of it. I just hope the King will have a smooth recuperation.❤️

Last week we saw a nurse walking in the cortège at Princess Christina's funeral. It turned out that the lady has been the nurse of Prince Claus, Princess Juliana, Prince Bernhard and Princess Christina. She was their trusted carer until their deaths.

It is an extremely discreet position, as royals are often totally vulnerable and people can misuse a position to sell pictures or something to media. Once a royal family has full confidence in a nurse, the loyalty is total from both sides. That will not be different with a nurse at La Zarzuela or at any other court. The King's late mother was wheelchair-bound and must have had nurses in her time.

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos was in good spirits and being very much his own self this morning as he left the hospital. To the reporters question of how was he feeling, he candidly answered:

"As if I have had a truck going by over me!"

Great to see Juan Carlos back at home. Seems like he would get on well with the Duke of Edinburgh, they seem to share a similar sense of humour!

I'm sure the Spanish Royal Family are relieved that the old king is now home and they don't have to do those public hospital visits in the constant glare of the media.

Last edited:
Don Juan Carlos looks very fragile.

King Juan Carlos was already in poor health when he left Spain, he has problems when walking, his health in recent years has been delicate, he has undergone several interventions related to bones, I am not surprised by this Photo.

He has been ill for years. But certainly looks like his health has slid a bit more.

I dont know if being home in Spain would be any better for him now. As long as he has the best medical care possible and some where comfortable to live, he will be in a good place. In Spain he would face a lot of press and criticism when ever he left his home, to go to the hospital or anything. Its the reason he is said to have gone into voluntary exile in the first place.

If any of his family want to visit him, they would be able to do so.

Personally I think its best if Don Juan Carlos stays away from Spain.

Perhaps it's all an act? If he looks weaker and more frail he will garner more sympathies "Let the weak and old King come home!"

Just a thought

Perhaps it's all an act? If he looks weaker and more frail he will garner more sympathies "Let the weak and old King come home!"

Just a thought

No. Don Juan Carlos is extremely frail, but like his brother-in-law King Constantine, he seems to avoid a wheelchair as long as possible. In the meantime King Constantine now is wheelchair-bound, as we saw at the recent wedding of his youngest son. My expectation is that Don Juan Carlos will follow suit.

Don Juan Carlos' late mother broke her hip in 1982 and the left femur in 1985, which forced her to use a wheelchair for the rest of her life. The association with his beloved mother bound to a wheelchair will most likely be part of the aversy against using it.

Last edited:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...idden-former-Spanish-king-Juan-Carlos-82.html
Not sure if it has worsened, maybe he is more open to help than in Spain because he is out of the public eye. There were situations already when he was still King where he had to use a crane but pulled himself together. Now he has servants around him, nobody watches, let's take the old man to the boat quickly walking an uneven floor. I think his health has been bad for a long time but tried to hide it better when he was in Spain.

Had he been photographed being helped by 2 monks on a pilgrimage at a monastery I might have more sympathy but he's living in £10,000-a-night suite in complete luxury in the middle east.

Had he been photographed being helped by 2 monks on a pilgrimage at a monastery I might have more sympathy but he's living in £10,000-a-night suite in complete luxury in the middle east.

Probably the suite is for free anyway.

Back
Top Bottom