The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As Lula said, the excuse for his participation in the event is that there will be a ceremony honoring his late mother.

I think posters here are being too harsh on King Juan Carlos. Receiving state funding and living in a royal residence after he has already retired from oubkic life is the same situation that currently applies to King Albert or Emperor Akihito. It looks to me like a fair compensation for a former Head of State who served his country for decades and was never allowed to have another job or private career.
well yes I can't quite see what he is doing that is scandalous... He's retired, so is Prince Philip.. both of them still live in royal residences and are now free to amuse themselves as they please.. within reason... and to do an occasional public event if they are asked and want to
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:08 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Its his last official act after that he's retired from public duties but has more or less been semi retired since his abdication unlike his more energetic wife queen Sofia.
It is not an official event ... his last official event was to deliver the prize of the Royal Military Orders in El Escorial.

Inicio - Actividades y Agenda - Entrega del Premio Órdenes Españolas 2019

It is an obviously public event, but the invitation is from a private bullfighting businessman who manages that bullring. So it's a kind of invitation that is not considered official by the Royal House.

The previous private lunch has been organized by another businessman, known for having a famous nightclub in Madrid, where Elena's children often go. And the organizers have leaked all kinds of details to a journalist.

That has been and will be one of the problems of Juan Carlos, who usually accepts many invitations from friends and acquaintances, which are not always adequate and convenient.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,676
The announcement certainly has to do with his ego, why was it necessary? So Juan Carlos has been traveling across the country attending bullfights, F1 races, going to fancy restaurants etc etc and he will continue to do so.
His 'public' events = those listed with casareal are not many. This year 7, among them 2 funerals. So it's hardly worth an official announcement. Everybody can see that his health is affected, he is over 80 and nobody expects him to work any longer.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Relatively ... although he has no institutional activity, he will continue to receive public money, living in a state palace, and having personnel at his service ... which forces him to maintain a certain attitude of respect and prudence.

Exactly, he should only do things that do not create controversies or have negative impact on the image of the crown.
But Juan Carlos has never cared about that and he will certainly not start now.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The announcement certainly has to do with his ego, why was it necessary? So Juan Carlos has been traveling across the country attending bullfights, F1 races, going to fancy restaurants etc etc and he will continue to do so.
His 'public' events = those listed with casareal are not many. This year 7, among them 2 funerals. So it's hardly worth an official announcement. Everybody can see that his health is affected, he is over 80 and nobody expects him to work any longer.
He was looking particularly shook at the funeral of Grand Duke Jean in early May and it was really no major surprise and the official announcement was a bit unnecessary.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-02-2019, 09:11 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,585
The announcement was necessary, precisely because he goes to public events and his organizers make publicity and treat him with honor, and the photos appear in the press ... but the frivolous press never differentiates between a private event or an event in representation of the Crown. So that created many confusions and criticisms in the public opinion that damaged the Crown. Now it will be known that everything is private, and the effect on the image of the Crown will be less.

The same thing happens with Sofia, she was accustomed when she was queen to fill her agenda with some activities that were more ways to fill her free time, like classical music. Now she attends concerts that are not on the official agenda, but the press talks about it without differentiating. She also does activities with her private foundation, which are not on the official agenda, and the press talks about them as if they were. Her activities are less controversial than those of Juan Carlos and have a better press, but the problem of not differentiating institutional and private is the same.

Felipe and Letizia have always differentiated their institutional life and their private life better. And if they go to a place because they want, they pay their expenses and they are not used for publicity.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
The announcement was necessary, precisely because he goes to public events and his organizers make publicity and treat him with honor, and the photos appear in the press ... but the frivolous press never differentiates between a private event or an event in representation of the Crown. So that created many confusions and criticisms in the public opinion that damaged the Crown. Now it will be known that everything is private, and the effect on the image of the Crown will be less.

Well, maybe for the record it makes sense to say 'we've got nothing to do with what the old man is up to' but JC is still King Juan Carlos the former King of Spain in the heads of many people, and his association with the crown will be forever.
So, when he does unwise things he may do them not as part of the agenda but as a private person, but whatever he does, will be related to the public image of the crown.

In case he shoots another elephant, people will know that Felipe did not ask him to do it, retired or not. And if he meets despots in public, same thing, but nevertheless the critizism will be directed at Felipe who is unable to control or talk some sense into his father.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-02-2019, 10:52 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,585
Private lunch organized by businessman Pedro Trapote on his property in Aranjuez

https://www.larazon.es/gente/el-rey-...ada-PE23633419
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Well, maybe for the record it makes sense to say 'we've got nothing to do with what the old man is up to' but JC is still King Juan Carlos the former King of Spain in the heads of many people, and his association with the crown will be forever.
So, when he does unwise things he may do them not as part of the agenda but as a private person, but whatever he does, will be related to the public image of the crown.

In case he shoots another elephant, people will know that Felipe did not ask him to do it, retired or not. And if he meets despots in public, same thing, but nevertheless the critizism will be directed at Felipe who is unable to control or talk some sense into his father.
Absolutely. He will not change, ever. Doesn't feel he must and will not worry if people find fault. His personality. He is not ever going to pull a Prince Philip and almost go into hiding 95%, no matter what his age is. If he again does things that are stupid for a Royal, just think "there he goes again" smack your head and pay no attention. If Felipe is blamed for his father's behavior, the members of the media of Spain really don't have strong elderly parents so can't understand. It is a normal life pattern.
__________________

__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 21: May 2011 - April 2012 dazzling Current Events Archive 500 04-26-2012 02:48 AM
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 20: March 2010 - May 2011 Her_Majesty Current Events Archive 493 05-04-2011 02:48 AM
King Juan Carlos of Spain's Visit to the UAE, Kuwait & Saudi Arabia: May 24-28, 2008 lula Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates 9 05-28-2008 04:15 PM




Popular Tags
abdication american history anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones belgian royal belgian royal family bridal gown canada chittagong clarence house coronavirus cover-up crown princess victoria danish royalty denmark dna dutch dutch royal family edo facts family tree fantasy movie future genealogy hill historical drama house of bernadotte house of glucksburg house of grimaldi imperial household introduction italian royal family japan jumma kent languages list of rulers lithuania lithuanian palaces mail maxima mbs mountbatten netflix nobel prize northern ireland palestine princely family of monaco queen paola romanov family rown royal dress-ups royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family settings spanish royal startling new evidence state visit to denmark stuart sweden swedish history thai royal family tips tracts united kingdom von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×