King Juan Carlos Hunting Accident & Trip To Africa: 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
His Majesty the King has had surgery on his hip, this morning, in the USP San José Hospital (Madrid) by Dr. Angel Villamor.

Juan Carlos had suffered a fracture in three fragments of the right hip, associated with osteoarthritis of that joint. There has been a reconstruction of femoral fracture fragments, standing in the same surgical hip replacement.

His Majesty the King entered last night in that hospital on his return from a private trip to Botswana, where he injured his hip in an accidental fall.

In the next few hours, make public a detailed medical report.

Comunicado sobre el ingreso hospitalario de Su Majestad el Rey. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Google Traductor

With all his problems with his daughter’s husbands it is fine he has a new pastime.
The King was smiling at the Easter Celebration and had a lovely attitude towards the Infantas. Well done !

No , I not think King Juan Carlos do ?:ermm:
An Ard Ri , who in your avatar ? :flowers:

The late Countess of Barcelona,mother of His Majesty The King.

I seriously doubt that but I hope not!
Not a good week for the Spanish Royal Family.

It appears that he does though. :sad: :sad: :sad:

King Juan Carlos has emergency hip replacement after falling during Botswana elephant hunting trip

From the article:
Photographs of Juan Carlos posing next to a dead elephant and holding a shotgun were posted on Spanish news websites today. And many Spaniards took to Twitter to criticise the monarch for shooting elephants. 'What a disgrace to see a photo of 'our king' killing elephants in Africa,' wrote Manuel Caballero. Another wrote: 'Killing elephants is the cruelest and most expensive form of hunting.'Some Spaniards were outraged that the king was on an expensive hunting trip in Africa while his country is in the grip of a recession, with a record 4.75 million unemployed.
I do generally like the King, but killing those gentle giants is one of the most despicable and inexcusable things a human being is capable of.

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone could kill elephants. It's one thing to shoot pheasants or deer whose numbers are plentiful and need to be controlled. But killing elephants is something else entirely.

I hope the King recovers, but simply heading abroad on an expensive hunting trip in the middle of the Spain's economic turmoil demonstrates seriously poor judgement in my opinion, particularly given the awful press the SRF are going through.

Leaving aside the elephant hunting issue, which I think most would agree is pretty awful, these continued health problems for JC must be taking a heavy toll. He has seemed frail to me of late and I was surprised he had it in him physically to go hunting. He seems to be on a slow decline (I couldn't think of a better term than that). I don't mean to offend anyone by saying so and I truly hope he regains his health.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how anyone could kill elephants. It's one thing to shoot pheasants or deer whose numbers are plentiful and need to be controlled. But killing elephants is something else entirely.

I hope the King recovers, but simply heading abroad on an expensive hunting trip in the middle of the Spain's economic turmoil demonstrates seriously poor judgement in my opinion, particularly given the awful press the SRF are going through.

I agree,I always thought it was illegal but I'm not familiar with the laws protecting them in Botswana.

I agree,I always thought it was illegal but I'm not familiar with the laws protecting them in Botswana.

Botswana is one of the few countries where it is legal to hunt elephants (under strict government control, of course).
When the 1990 ban on ivory trade was introduces Botwsana, along with South Africa, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, opposed it. In 1997, it was agreed that Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe could conduct international trade in elephant parts. Since then, over 1,000 tonnes of ivory have been traded by these countries, the last major international trade being in 2008, when China and Japan bought 108 tonnes of ivory from Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia.

Elephant huntings in Botswana are very expensive, with "cheap" packages starting from $25,000 and the more luxurious ones - from $45,000.

Regardless of any laws, elephant hunting should not be tolerated.
Elephants, like whales, are truly wonders of nature and the way we treat them is despicable. :sad:

Last edited:
To be candid, I feel sorrier for the elephants than I do the king though I wish him a speedy recovery. I can't tolerate this pleasure hunting for no reason other than to bring back a big-game trophy, and wish the king had engaged in the usual royal pastime of skiing or yachting if he wanted to take a vacation. My respect for him has plummeted as a result of this senseless slaughter, and just because it's legal in Botswana doesn't mean he had to support it.

Last edited:
Botswana is one of the few countries where it is legal to hunt elephants (under strict government control, of course).
When the 1990 ban on ivory trade was introduces Botwsana, along with South Africa, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, opposed it. In 1997, it was agreed that Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe could conduct international trade in elephant parts. Since then, over 1,000 tonnes of ivory have been traded by these countries, the last major international trade being in 2008, when China and Japan bought 108 tonnes of ivory from Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia.

Elephant huntings in Botswana are very expensive, with "cheap" packages starting from $25,000 and the more luxurious ones - from $45,000.

Regardless of any laws, elephant hunting should not be tolerated.
Elephants, like whales, are truly wonders of nature and the way we treat them is despicable. :sad:

Thanks for the additional information,I'm shocked that in this day and age its still legal in certain countries.More so I'm shocked that a figure whom I respect like King Juan Carlos would be involved in such a horrific act :sad:

To be candid, I feel sorrier for the elephants than I do the king though I wish him a speedy recovery. I can't tolerate this pleasure hunting for no reason other than to bring back a big-game trophy, and wish the king had engaged in the usual royal pastime of skiing or yachting if he wanted to take a vacation. My respect for him has plummeted as a result of this senseless slaughter, and just because it's legal in Botswana doesn't mean he had to support it.

COMPLETELY agree - and especially as this is the king, he should be a moral archetype to even fight against elephant hunters. But if I am looking at his questionnable love life, he´s not an achetype either...
BYe Bine

i hope that too, specially now that there's a rumour in spain that king jc and prince felipe are having problems and they don't have the same close relationship since felipe got married.

i heard that letizia caused a lot of problems in the spanish rf, felipe's sisters don't talk to her, and the only one that tries to unite the family is queen sofia...

maybe it's just rumours...maybe not.

one thing is for sure: long live to the king!!!!

Rumours, for the EVIL Spanish press (yellow, gossip ... press) Letizia is really bad, mean ... they said she and the Infantas didn't have NO relationship but the truth is the one who has the problem was Prince Felipe with Iñaki Urdangarín because all of his ilegal bussines not a bad relation between Letizia and her sister-in-law.

Maybe Letizia is not the prototype of a Princess for the King but I think they have a normal relationship, the King said she was really profesional and I think today this is the best thing, take her role of Princess of Asturias as a job and she is doing it very well.

And the King, I think that maybe he should abdicate, his health is not good and righ now he is a really bad image for Spanish Monarchy, a very bad one after his scape to Botswana to hunt his supposed elephant.

it will be bad for Spain if the King abdicates. it will be the best if he will reign until his last breath, unless he would be not mentally capable to rule, so far is healthy enough to remain at his position.

Many elderly people begin their final decline after breaking a hip. For the sake of the King's family, I hope that this is not the case.:ermm: As for the elephant hunting, I find it much more repugnant than the hunting of peasants and deer--animals which are consumed as food and/or to prevent overpopulation.

He has seemed frail to me of late and I was surprised he had it in him physically to go hunting. He seems to be on a slow decline (I couldn't think of a better term than that). I don't mean to offend anyone by saying so and I truly hope he regains his health.

Many elderly people begin their final decline after breaking a hip. For the sake of the King's family, I hope that this is not the case.:ermm: As for the elephant hunting, I find it much more repugnant than the hunting of peasants and deer--animals which are consumed as food and/or to prevent overpopulation.

I assume you mean pheasants, Mermaid. ;) I think royals shooting peasants really would cause an uproar :lol:.

JC lead a life on the fast lane and is now paying the price. But his decline seems to be physically and not mentally, therefore no reason to think about abdication.

It seems that he recovered pretty well from recent injuries (otherwise he wouldnt have flown to Botswana for a few days hunting) and I dont doubt he will have another speedy recovery with all these doctors on hand. Even when he was recovering he didnt see to do too bad, went to some fun trips (eg Monaco) instead of getting back into his regular schedule.

Because of the hard life he has had (his family situation, given away as a young boy to grow up with Franco by his own father, the "arranged" marriage with Sofia only to mention a few issues) he will have tried to live life to the full after having fulfilled his main duty, saving the monarchy for the Borbon family and getting Spain back on track. Its kind of understandable and for the public or media or family it has always been a non-issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom