King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would he do such things that were so... silly??

He was deeply respected. He saved Spain as a democracy. He could have left a legacy other monarchs would envy. He could have been a monarch, future Spanish monarchs could admire and be inspired by.

What happened?!?

Last edited:
Its been a downward spiral since the ill advised and disgusting elephant hunting trip to Botswana for King Juan Carlos in April 2012.

Is it relevant that the Dominican Republic has no extradition treaty with Spain? So much for “willing to cooperate with the authorities”. It’s not exile, Juan Carlos is for all practical purposes, a fugitive.

Well, I'm glad Queen Sofia will remain in Spain with serenity and dignity. I also see no reason at all for there to be a palace swap. It makes no sense for any changes to be made in terms of the Royal Family's current residences just because King Juan Carlos has decided go into exile - that's up to him and the less anything is affected by his decision the better.

He was deeply respected. He saved Spain as a democracy. He could have left a legacy other monarchs would envy. He could have been a monarch, future Spanish monarchs could admire and be inspired by.

What happened?!?

I’ve long suspected that what sounds like a pretty miserable childhood and some large chips on his shoulders About wealth, status and a perceived lack of personal freedom are what has been behind most of his bad choices over the years. Combine this with the unreality of the world he lived in - all that media praise and fawning isn’t healthy - and Franco’s influence on him has probably also been a factor in all this too.

I’ve long suspected that what sounds like a pretty miserable childhood and some large chips on his shoulders About wealth, status and a perceived lack of personal freedom are what has been behind most of his bad choices over the years. Combine this with the unreality of the world he lived in - all that media praise and fawning isn’t healthy - and Franco’s influence on him has probably also been a factor in all this too.

I almost understand why he did it. Having been a recently restored Monarch with no significant money of his own would be galling. What if everything went south? He wanted to secure his family’s future.

There have been many occasions in the past that clearly show that Felipe will never take anything away from his mother. Mother is always there, despite being Emerita often taking center stage as Queen smiling with her boy, with the Queen Consort the third wheel. Easter 2018 Letizia lost her usual nerves of steel and had to pay for it.
Anyway, the public loves Sofia so no reason to change anything about her situation.

I just don’t understand the Sofia and Felipe relationship dynamics. He can’t be that much of a mama’s boy— after all he married Letizia. There’s no way the haughty Sofia approved of that match, but now he’s all about mommy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don’t understand the Sofia and Felipe relationship dynamics. He can’t be that much of a mama’s boy— after all he married Letizia. There’s no way the haughty Sofia approved of that match, but now he’s all about mommy.

I don't think Sofia "approved the match", but, according to reports, she was ultimately more supportive of it than Juan Carlos who allegedly cannot stand Letizia.

Letizia was really a big shake-up for the family. All Kings of Spain before Felipe VI had been married to foreign princesses.

Last edited:

What happened?!?

Well he was born in exile, grew up in relatively insecure circumstances (for royalty), probably never sure Franco meant to restore the throne, and he also watched his in-laws being deposed. Eventually he did access the throne, became a popular and respected king but these insecurities may have stayed with him. I suspect from this insecurity he developed the need/want to sock away money to prepare for any possibility in the future (exile etc.)
Then you add private circumstances in his marriage, the mistresses, bad advice, add some arrogance, excess confidence to the mix and you get a recipe for the implosion we see now. It is sad indeed.
My 2-cent worth.

I almost understand why he did it. Having been a recently restored Monarch with no significant money of his own would be galling. What if everything went south? He wanted to secure his family’s future.

Almost understandable, but thirty-plus years on a throne beloved is a little late to be feeling insecure.

With classical irony, he may have sent everything south with his own actions. Rather than securing his family's future, he's just left a hell of a lot for Felipe to endure.

After all, King Juan Carlos may not be in the Dominican Republic.
Juan Carlos I faces his formal banishment settled in Portugal. According to sources close to the royal family, the King Emeritus, after communicating by letter to his son, King Felipe VI, the decision to leave Spain, undertook a drive to the Portuguese town of Azeitao, where he has been welcomed by the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo family, with whom he has maintained a fraternal relationship since his family remained in exile in Estoril.
The complex where Juan Carlos I has been installed is the estate of the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo known as Casa Grande Quinta do Peru, located in Azeitao, within the municipality of Quinta do Conde, near Setubal and next to the Arrábida Natural Park. Until future plans, this will be your residence, after discarding other farther destinations such as the Dominican Republic or New Zealand.

The Dominican Republic's Directorate of Migration denied on Tuesday that Spain's King Emeritus Juan Carlos had entered the country, contrary to allegations in the Spanish press.

The Royal House - which has not denied that Juan Carlos I is in Portugal - is awaiting the approval of the Emeritus to report where he is.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/espa...familia-brito-e-cunha-espirito-santo_2704960/

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...uan-carlos-portugal-202008042034_noticia.html

https://sicnoticias.pt/mundo/2020-08-04-Afinal-onde-esta-Juan-Carlos-

The complex where Juan Carlos I has been installed is the estate of the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo known as Casa Grande Quinta do Peru, located in Azeitao, within the municipality of Quinta do Conde, near Setubal and next to the Arrábida Natural Park. Until future plans, this will be your residence, after discarding other farther destinations such as the Dominican Republic or New Zealand.

Eek! I certainly hope not! We already have enough rich creeps here, we don’t need more. :eek::eek::eek:

After all, King Juan Carlos may not be in the Dominican Republic.
Juan Carlos I faces his formal banishment settled in Portugal. According to sources close to the royal family, the King Emeritus, after communicating by letter to his son, King Felipe VI, the decision to leave Spain, undertook a drive to the Portuguese town of Azeitao, where he has been welcomed by the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo family, with whom he has maintained a fraternal relationship since his family remained in exile in Estoril.

The Dominican Republic's Directorate of Migration denied on Tuesday that Spain's King Emeritus Juan Carlos had entered the country, contrary to allegations in the Spanish press.

The Royal House - which has not denied that Juan Carlos I is in Portugal - is awaiting the approval of the Emeritus to report where he is.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/espa...familia-brito-e-cunha-espirito-santo_2704960/

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...uan-carlos-portugal-202008042034_noticia.html

https://sicnoticias.pt/mundo/2020-08-04-Afinal-onde-esta-Juan-Carlos-
Zou dit het 'Casa Grande' zijn?

He feels responsible for her because daddy “abandoned” her - happens all the time with sons of divorced parents esp those who get disillusioned with their fathers. As for S’s hauteur - have long suspected that’s also insecurity as well, the real reason has nothing to do with social status but with wanting to remain the main woman in her sons life - again really common with women who see themselves as single mothers, they can become very emotionally dependent on their sons (pss Diana and ps William are the main examples I can think of) and don’t react well to other women “taking them away” esp if that’s how the father left the picture.

Perhaps nobody else will go anywhere, but Zarzuela is a palace. Surely there ought to be enough room(s) for Letizia and Sofia not to have to come into contact with each other any more than strictly necessary?

If it's JC who's the one who really couldn't stand Letizia, she can't be heartbroken by the fact he's gone. And will perhaps be amenable to changes.

Perhaps nobody else will go anywhere, but Zarzuela is a palace. Surely there ought to be enough room(s) for Letizia and Sofia not to have to come into contact with each other any more than strictly necessary?

It is a relatively small palace. The bigger Palace of El Pardo is now used only to house visiting heads of state and the Royal Palace of Madrid, which is actually one of the largest in Europe in number of rooms, is now used only for state functions like state dinners for example. Both were royal residences in the past.

Last edited:
The Royal Palace of El Pardo which is very close to Zarzuela was last used as a residence by General Franco.

I am more inclined to believe the Portugal story than the Domincan Republic one.

I think in his frail old age it is best to keep the king close-in Europe in the event of his health taking a turn for the worse.

I am more inclined to believe the Portugal story than the Domincan Republic one.

I think in his frail old age it is best to keep the king close-in Europe in the event of his health taking a turn for the worse.

He has said that the exile is only until all this blows over - he may not live that long....

A lot of opinion on this is pretty negative - twitter has predictably accused him of going on the lam and a lot of people in Spain think that this is a mistake. He’d be better off facing the music rather than trying to wait it out as all this is pretty damming taken together.

The Supreme Court refuses to adopt precautionary measures against King Juan Carlos because it has not been investigated.

The Vacations Room of the Supreme Court has rejected the adoption of precautionary measures requested by the entity Cultural Omnium against King Juan Carlos in a letter demanding its location and urgent summons.

In an order issued this Wednesday, the Chamber recalls that the Spanish procedural system "does not contemplate the adoption of precautionary measures with respect to those who do not have the status of being investigated", as is the case of King Juan Carlos.

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-supr...no-esta-investigado-202008051424_noticia.html

Ultimately a fascinating and tragic tale. JC obviously has never been able to forget the relative poverty and insecurity of having been born as an exile and feathered his nest accordingly for any future uncertainty. Accepting "gifts" of cash was not something unknown to his forebears in their exiles - Alfonso XIII, Ena all accepted gifts that enabled them to live in a style they were accustomed to but it seems JC with the lack of scrutiny during his early and mid reign took this to extremes. I think there has been no love lost between JC and Queen Letizia who has perhaps manoeuvred to remove him from the scene for some time. The hauteur of Queen Sofia comes from her background - daughter, sister, wife and mother of Kings, she is a royal in the traditional mould of the Gotha and similar in her approach to duty to Queen Elizabeth II. The past 10 years must have been hell for her. I wouldn't be surprised if JC turned up in a Gulf state...

Congratulations on your first - and most interesting - post, Darius1 :flowers:

Would this possibly be going any better if he'd taped a statement before he left?

At least it's slightly classier than the "lol, bye, JC out" he seems to have chosen.

....oh, right. Lawyers advise you not to talk, don't they. It still feels like he could have expressed some generic regret and talked about the good times.

Last edited:
Would this possibly be going any better if he'd taped a statement before he left?

At least it's slightly classier than the "lol, bye, JC out" he seems to have chosen.

....oh, right. Lawyers advise you not to talk, don't they. It still feels like he could have expressed some generic regret and talked about the good times.

His only regret is getting caught with his hands in the cookie jar - and with his trousers down as well no less.

His only regret is getting caught with his hands in the cookie jar - and with his trousers down as well no less.

That may be so, and yet you would think that decades of public life and media training (as Head of State, no less) would at least give you the appearance of being sober and contrite, which might go over better with the rest of the media and the public.

It's not about whether he's actually sorry; it's about damage control.

You don't even think he's sorry he produced this entire mess for Felipe and the present Spanish monarchy to shovel through?

It seems JC is on the "lam" but where? Royal Musings: Juan Carlos reported to be in the Dominican republic

According to royal expert Marlene Eilers Koenig on her recent blog Royal Musings Spanish newspaper ABC and others are reporting: "This past weekend, Juan Carlos, 82, traveled to Sanxeno in Pontevedra. He was driven to the Portuguese town of Porto, where he caught a flight to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic." So reports of JC being in Portugal and Dominican Republic could both be true. Why not let the old guy spend his last days exiled alone, away from family and hopefully staying out of further trouble. If Spain eventually wants to prosecute they will. Having just recently taken a closer look at the history of Spain, not a very smooth transition into democracy. Royals in exile, several governments, the long brutal dictatorship of Franco leading to the now constitutional monarchy. Despite Juan Carlos losing his compass big time here at the end it seems Felipe has support and is generally well liked, perhaps moving forward might be best for Spain.

Ultimately a fascinating and tragic tale. JC obviously has never been able to forget the relative poverty and insecurity of having been born as an exile and feathered his nest accordingly for any future uncertainty. Accepting "gifts" of cash was not something unknown to his forebears in their exiles - Alfonso XIII, Ena all accepted gifts that enabled them to live in a style they were accustomed to but it seems JC with the lack of scrutiny during his early and mid reign took this to extremes. I think there has been no love lost between JC and Queen Letizia who has perhaps manoeuvred to remove him from the scene for some time. The hauteur of Queen Sofia comes from her background - daughter, sister, wife and mother of Kings, she is a royal in the traditional mould of the Gotha and similar in her approach to duty to Queen Elizabeth II. The past 10 years must have been hell for her. I wouldn't be surprised if JC turned up in a Gulf state...

Welcome and great first post.

Given that he took a bribe from Saudi Arabia, it wouldn’t really be a wise move to relocate to UAE or anywhere else in the ME. It could be considered an admission of guilt

It seems JC is on the "lam" but where? Royal Musings: Juan Carlos reported to be in the Dominican republic

According to royal expert Marlene Eilers Koenig on her recent blog Royal Musings Spanish newspaper ABC and others are reporting: "This past weekend, Juan Carlos, 82, traveled to Sanxeno in Pontevedra. He was driven to the Portuguese town of Porto, where he caught a flight to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic." So reports of JC being in Portugal and Dominican Republic could both be true. Why not let the old guy spend his last days exiled alone, away from family and hopefully staying out of further trouble. If Spain eventually wants to prosecute they will. Having just recently taken a closer look at the history of Spain, not a very smooth transition into democracy. Royals in exile, several governments, the long brutal dictatorship of Franco leading to the now constitutional monarchy. Despite Juan Carlos losing his compass big time here at the end it seems Felipe has support and is generally well liked, perhaps moving forward might be best for Spain.

I think at this stage that it is wishful thinking that this might blow over and JC be left alone in Portugal to enjoy his dotage. There is growing momentum in Spain pushing for a referendum on the monarchy, driven by Podemos Unidos party, the far-left coalition partner in Spain's government, with an agenda for radical change.

When the Prime Minister has to come out publicly to say he supports the monarchy I think this is a sign of the uncertainty of things to come. At the start of Felipe's reign it seemed that pressing criminal charges against his sister and brother-in-law was the price to pay to demonstrate transparency and garner support for the institution, I think the next step will be some sort of condemnation, if not trial of JC, all in all eroding any prestige left.

I don't think it is a stretch of the imagination to see a referendum being called, and lost. The median age of the population is early 40's. JC himself has said that he is likely only to be known amongst those under 40 for Corrina, Elephants and a suitcase of cash. If the population were to weigh up what the monarchy had done for them, 23 F Coup d' Etat is probably the only glowing moment in the national consciousness. There is very little else to affectionately bind the monarchy to the people.

Those wishing to eliminate the monarchy have smelled blood. They won't stop now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom