King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now King Felipe has come out to answer... He was not aware of anything until a London law firm (the Royal House does not say it but they are Corinna's lawyers) sent him a letter last year (they do not clarify with what intentions they did) where they said it but without no document proving it. King Felipe sent the letter to the authorities, and made a notarial act explaining his ignorance, and that neither he nor in the name of his daughter had accepted anything.

The press release from Casa Real says that when the British law firm informed him (without any evidence) of his supposed designation as beneficiary of the foundation he did three things: he sent a copy of the letter to the authorities, another to his father and informed the law firm that he had no knowledge, participation or responsibility in the foundation and that he was not going to appoint a legal representative to open a negotiation about this with Corinna's law firm.

To me, reading between the lines, this last sentence about the supposed negotiation Corinna's lawyers wanted sounds like blackmail. We won't leak details to the press if you help us (Corinna was under investigation for financial crimes).

In the end, Corinna started the leaks about JC, and when that got her nowhere, she played her last card trying to involve Felipe.

If I understand it correctly the renunciation only applies to these specific funds where the mistress was involved in?
Other things such as jewels or funds acquired unrelated to Corinna were not renounced?

AnaC said:
To me, reading between the lines, this last sentence about the supposed negotiation Corinna's lawyers wanted sounds like blackmail. .

It sounds like that to me too.

A real bomb IMO... I think Felipe is right to distance himself from that kind of money. Anyway the fact that he (JC) will no longer receive a dotation sounds like a punishment to me.

From what I realized in the communiqué, King Felipe VI only renounces that part of the inheritance, which he supposedly did not know.
I think Felipe VI acted in an exemplary way in this situation and avoided a big problem for the royal house and the monarchy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/world/europe/king-felipe-juan-carlos-spain.html

Obviously there is truth in all the rumors:
King Felipe VI of Spain said on Sunday that he was renouncing his personal inheritance from his father, Juan Carlos, who has been implicated in a Swiss offshore account investigation.

In a statement, the palace said that Juan Carlos, who abdicated in 2014, would also stop receiving an annual grant of €194,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51902673

I don't know about the Spanish royal wealth. Does JC have much personal wealth? I can find things on what the royal family is worth but not personal wealth of someone like JC. Is turning down a share of his father's estate a huge amount for Felipe?

But it does make sense. Felipe has to know how precarious his throne is at times. They survived the corruption scandal around his sister and Inaki. He needs to distance himself as much as possible from any corruption his father may be associated with now.

From what I realized in the communiqué, King Felipe VI only renounces that part of the inheritance, which he supposedly did not know.
I think Felipe VI acted in an exemplary way in this situation and avoided a big problem for the royal house and the monarchy.

Hear Hear Hear!!!An admirable ACT to distance himself from that old man,
who did so much for democracy in Spain at the time,but became a selfcentered pain & nuisance in his later years.

Bravo Felipe!!A very wise decision.:spainstandard:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/world/europe/king-felipe-juan-carlos-spain.html

Obviously there is truth in all the rumors:
King Felipe VI of Spain said on Sunday that he was renouncing his personal inheritance from his father, Juan Carlos, who has been implicated in a Swiss offshore account investigation.

In a statement, the palace said that Juan Carlos, who abdicated in 2014, would also stop receiving an annual grant of €194,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51902673

Good!!Admirable action by King Felipe!!

I would not say that everything is true, I would say that there is some truth and many things to clarify. Who has leaked all the information to the press and to a corrupt ex-Spanish policeman who is dedicated to extorting people is Corinna.

What the Royal House has done is to stop Corinna's pressure, and remove Juan Carlos so that he can defend himself. Now we will have to wait, and see if what Corinna has said is true or what she has tried to do is direct the investigation in her favor.

I would not say that everything is true, I would say that there is some truth and many things to clarify. Who has leaked all the information to the press and to a corrupt ex-Spanish policeman who is dedicated to extorting people is Corinna.

What the Royal House has done is to stop Corinna's pressure, and remove Juan Carlos so that he can defend himself. Now we will have to wait, and see if what Corinna has said is true or what she has tried to do is direct the investigation in her favor.

Didn’t. the Spanish parliament stop the investigation on the grounds that JC had immunity under Art 65 of the constitution?

Felipe is basically throwing his father under the bus, while pretending that he didn’t know he was the beneficiary of the offshore funds, which I find highly unlikely. It doesn’t look good to me.

Last edited:
The investigation in Parliament was stopped, but the Spanish prosecution and the Swiss prosecution continue to investigate the issue and collaborate. Justice keeps the case open. Corinna has threatened to denounce the Spanish State, so the government knows perfectly well what is happening, and many decisions will be being agreed between different parties.

The only one who jumped under the bus was Juan Carlos, playing to the limit with his finances and losing his mind for a woman like Corinna who is doing everything possible to sink him.

Juan Carlos could perfectly make this structure without the knowledge of his children and grandchildren, they were only there in the event that he passed away. In any case, the foundation was closed in 2012 and the money is with Corinna ... nothing would have come to them.

The investigation in Parliament was stopped, but the Spanish prosecution and the Swiss prosecution continue to investigate the issue and collaborate. Justice keeps the case open. Corinna has threatened to denounce the Spanish State, so the government knows perfectly well what is happening, and many decisions will be being agreed between different parties.

The only one who jumped under the bus was Juan Carlos, playing to the limit with his finances and losing his mind for a woman like Corinna who is doing everything possible to sink him.

Juan Carlos could perfectly make this structure without the knowledge of his children and grandchildren, they were only there in the event that he passed away. In any case, the foundation was closed in 2012 and the money is with Corinna ... nothing would have come to them.

Why did Felipe have to renounce his inheritance then ? I am confused.

There is absolutely zero change for the monarchy to not fall after this, an unofficial confirmation of JC's (never ever putting the "king" title before his name, he lost his right to the title long ago). People are not going out to the streets to protest because we are obviously locked down at home. Felipe using this crucial tine to make that statement has not hit us very well, either (even if he had no other choice)

I'm sorry for King Felipe, but he really never had a chance. That Crown came poisoned to him.

There is absolutely zero change for the monarchy to not fall after this, an unofficial confirmation of JC's (never ever putting the "king" title before his name, he lost his right to the title long ago). People are not going out to the streets to protest because we are obviously locked down at home. Felipe using this crucial tine to make that statement has not hit us very well, either (even if he had no other choice)

I'm sorry for King Felipe, but he really never had a chance. That Crown came poisoned to him.

The monarchy is safe even after that, right?

Thank you for all of the illuminating reports, Duke of Marmalade. What is the reasoning behind stripping King Juan Carlos of his allowance? If I am understanding correctly, the corruption allegations are unrelated to the allowance he received from the King.

I wondered how people in Spain were reacting to that - it seemed a very odd time to be making this sort of announcement. Everyone's got other things to worry about at the moment. But I gather it was leaked to the press?

King Felipe has had no choice but to do so at this time. In recent weeks Corinna and her lawyers have been pressing from the British media, and various information has been leaked to Spanish media ... the King could not leave this unanswered.

After decades of rumors, I do not think it is a surprise to know that Juan Carlos was in any financial trouble. In any case, that has yet to be proven. Many things that have been leaked are based on Corinna's testimony, and what she wants is to defend herself and that Juan Carlos carry everything.

Now Juan Carlos totally separated from the Royal House, and with his own lawyer can defend himself.

- King Felipe resigns to avoid problems and to separate the Crown from that story.

- In the statement, he specifies that he has no knowledge or documentary evidence, beyond what Corinna's attorneys say, that this is true.

- The Spanish Royal House tries to distance from judicial issues, respect the independence of justice, they never denounce anything ... and there are people who take advantage of this.

- Juan Carlos no longer has any official representation for a year, withdrawing his economic allocation is a way to separate him completely, and thus give him the possibility of looking for his own lawyer to defend him publicly. If he continued to receive money, many would accuse him of paying his defense with public money ... and this way he avoids it.

I find all this very sad. As someone who was born the same year that Franco died, I grew up thinking of Juan Carlos as the hero who restored democracy to Spain and resisted the attempted coup of 1981. What a shame.

can someone explain in simple terms what has happened? the casa real press release is almost ununderstandable. as if they did it as obscurely as possible for it not to be understood due to the rather embarrasing consequences it has.

It has always been kind of common knowledge that JC had shady finances, and we have to keep in mind that those were different times. The way to democracy does not match with today's standards in corruption. I don't think that this is exclusive to Juan Carlos but to most public figures of the time in similar situations. In the beginning he had the powers of a dictator before transferring them to democracy. The Borbon family had not been exactly rich, and it is clear that he amassed a lot of money on the side.
It is tragic that he lost the plot in the last decade with Corinna etc.

I wonder is the why it was announced last year that old King Juan Carlos was no longer performing Official Duties that came out of the blue and the Royal House were putting a plan in place in the event of the ex monarchs finances becoming public.

Is the ex Princess still working at the Monégasque Court?

I suppose Corinna has to give her money back ?

Back to who?

The foundation was closed in 2012 (so it was actually years since Felipe had anything to inherit), and all the money that remained deposited in a Corinna account in Bahamas, according to her as a "gift". She was who pointed Juan Carlos as head of the foundation.

The money came from Saudi Arabia ... although they are trying to link it with the AVE Spanish businessmen contract, there seems to be no evidence about it. On the same dates there was another contract, the Hispano Saudi Fund, which is generally known that Corinna managed, several Spanish businessmen lost a lot of money because it was a failure.

I think that in order to benefit herself, Corinna has leaked the information that points to Juan Carlos, but has hidden the information that points to her.

That is why it is so important that Juan Carlos be free to fight his own legal battle. There are many pieces missing from this story.

An Ard Ri, Corinna has not accompanied the Grimaldi for several years. She boasts of being very close to Albert, and it was said that she stopped working with them because of Charlene's pregnancy. But I have always found it very curious that she started working with them right after Botswanna and stopped doing it when Juan Carlos abdicated. Juan Carlos has always had a great friendship with the Grimaldi, Albert was the godson of Victoria Eugenia ... I have always thought that he had a lot of influence in that job.

After reading many things, there is something I do not understand about Corinna. She says that she is a great businesswoman, with many influences ... but according to information from the Spanish press, all the businesses where she intervened and involved Spanish businessmen were a failure. The press has published data about her company and profits were low. So I don't understand how it is possible that in 2009 she bought a chalet in Switzerland and an apartment in Belgravia.

Last edited:
There is absolutely zero change for the monarchy to not fall after this, an unofficial confirmation of JC's (never ever putting the "king" title before his name, he lost his right to the title long ago).

Actually King Felipe VI decreed in 2014 that his father shall enjoy the title of King wth the style of Majesty as long as JC is alive and shall have precedence right next to King Felipe's descendants and honors equal to those of the heir to the Crown. Has the King revoked his 2014 decree ?

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón, padre del Rey Don Felipe VI, continuará vitaliciamente en el uso con carácter honorífico del título de Rey, con tratamiento de Majestad y honores análogos a los establecidos para el Heredero de la Corona, Príncipe o Princesa de Asturias, en el Real Decreto 684/2010, de 20 de mayo, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento de Honores Militares.
Doña Sofía de Grecia, madre del Rey Don Felipe VI, continuará vitaliciamente en el uso con carácter honorífico del título de Reina, con tratamiento de Majestad y honores análogos a los establecidos para la Princesa o el Príncipe de Asturias consortes en dicho Real Decreto.
El orden de precedencia de los Reyes Don Juan Carlos y Doña Sofía en el Ordenamiento General de Precedencias del Estado, aprobado por el Real Decreto 2099/1983, de 4 de agosto, será el inmediatamente posterior a los descendientes del Rey Don Felipe VI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom