King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Directly preventing him, I don't think so, but if he returns to Spain without the government's consent, he could be putting his son and the monarchy in trouble and in a complicated situation.
The government does not want King Juan Carlos in Spain at all, which is unfair as he has not been convicted of anything, and even if he had been, he is a Spanish citizen and has his rights.

Juan Carlos has become a toxic figure for the monarchy and if he returns to Spain would be like Prince Harry moving back to the UK, a media madness of negativity. The republican press would have a field day attacking King Felipe and Leonor mentioning Juan Carlos at every moment.

He's fine where he is, on the other side of the planet away from Felipe, Leonor and Queen Sofia. If he was at the Space Station, I'll be fine with it too. He was my hero when I was young and a big disappointment as his personal life took over his public life.

Besides, I never thought he was even that close in the final years to Felipe and even less to Leonor. Part of me thinks that he resented Letizia, and Letizia having only two daughters and no more search for the boy like he did in the 60s. Letizia was the best thing that happened to bring the monarchy from the past toward the future with Leonor.

He would come first in the Pudridero for about 30 or more years, so there is plenty of time. His parents the Count and Countess of Barcelona are still there and not yet in the Pantheon of the Kings and they have died in 1993 and 2000.

El Pudridero! That's the name I could not recall (bear in mind I'm not moving a search engine as I type). It literally means The Putrefier where the body is sealed horizontally over some surface to be liquified away from the bones. It's an old ceremony.

Here's the article, from ABC in Spain Sept 2015, and don't forget to right click on the page and select Translate if you don't see the auto translate pop-up drop-down menu first

https://www.abc.es/madrid/20151009/abci-misterioso-pudridero-escorial-guarda-201510082038.html

...The date on which the pudridero was enabled is difficult to specify, but of course it was not in the reign of Philip II, but with the creation of the Royal Pantheon, inaugurated in 1654, with Philip IV on the throne. In this way, the Eighth Wonder of the World built by Philip II, ironically, would have failed with a crash in its main mission as the tomb of Kings, since the one known as "the hells" (the tomb where the bodies were buried at the beginning) was narrow and somber

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos should have been free to visit Spain and even reside in the country if he so wished. To be doing this to a person who has not been convicted of anything, and who was the country's head of state is very done and just a whim of the Spanish government and the president of the government to harm the monarchy.
King Juan Carlos is no saint, he made his mistakes, but he wasn't condemned to anything, we can't forget, that under the law, we are all innocent until proven otherwise...

Although he has not been legally convicted of any crime, I doubt that there are many people who think that King Juan Carlos is innocent, and he did admit at least to tax evasion when he settled his debt to the Spanish Treasury, didn't he?

I agree that Pedro Sanchez is doing it for political reasons (he is a leftist and a self-declared republican), but it is probably for the best as far as the Royal Family is concerned. The more they dissociate themselves from King Juan Carlos, the safer their position will be, especially under a left-wing government.

I feel sorry for King Felipe because he appears to be interested in mending his fractured relationship with his father at a personal level, but I suspect Queen Letizia will be relieved that the government has vetoed JC coming back to Spain.

Last edited:
Months ago, King Juan Carlos moved permanently to a new house in the Emirates, ceded by the Royal House of the country.
King Juan Carlos has lived since last summer in a large house in Abu Dhabi, the capital, the city in which he has actually lived since he left Spain. On the island of Nurua he has another residence, always at his disposal, which he can continue to enjoy whenever he wants.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...pleanos-telefono-nueva-casa-abu-dabi_3552874/

Months ago, King Juan Carlos moved permanently to a new house in the Emirates, ceded by the Royal House of the country.
King Juan Carlos has lived since last summer in a large house in Abu Dhabi, the capital, the city in which he has actually lived since he left Spain. On the island of Nurua he has another residence, always at his disposal, which he can continue to enjoy whenever he wants.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...pleanos-telefono-nueva-casa-abu-dabi_3552874/

Why is the Royal Family of the Emirate of Abu Dabi giving houses for free to Juan Carlos?

Why is the Royal Family of the Emirate of Abu Dabi giving houses for free to Juan Carlos?

I don't think they're really giving away houses, but lending some houses to Juan Carlos so he can feel more comfortable.

It's good to have friends in high places, especially when your son re-exiled you for the monarchy's own good?

And however nice the house, I'm willing to bet JC is still forlorn.

I wonder if Felipe would let him come back under the condition he can't speak or leak to the media?

It's good to have friends in high places, especially when your son re-exiled you for the monarchy's own good?

And however nice the house, I'm willing to bet JC is still forlorn.

I wonder if Felipe would let him come back under the condition he can't speak or leak to the media?

Juan Carlos has been silent for months and nothing has leaked to the press.
I think Felipe would even let him go back to Spain under certain conditions, but the Spanish government doesn't want Juan Carlos in Spain, it seems.
But if Juan Carlos was very ill, or needed treatment or surgery, I believe he would be allowed to return immediately.

Juan Carlos has been silent for months and nothing has leaked to the press.
I think Felipe would even let him go back to Spain under certain conditions, but the Spanish government doesn't want Juan Carlos in Spain, it seems.
But if Juan Carlos was very ill, or needed treatment or surgery, I believe he would be allowed to return immediately.

Silent for months, but he could not keep away from the press when he was in Spain.

I think if he were to agree not to speak publicly, the government would lose a very easy excuse for keeping him out.

If he dies suddenly in exile, I think many people will have regrets and Felipe and his sisters will have unnecessary sorrow. (Maybe even Sofia.)

Juan Carlos has become a toxic figure for the monarchy and if he returns to Spain would be like Prince Harry moving back to the UK, a media madness of negativity. The republican press would have a field day attacking King Felipe and Leonor mentioning Juan Carlos at every moment.

He's fine where he is, on the other side of the planet away from Felipe, Leonor and Queen Sofia. If he was at the Space Station, I'll be fine with it too. He was my hero when I was young and a big disappointment as his personal life took over his public life.

Besides, I never thought he was even that close in the final years to Felipe and even less to Leonor. Part of me thinks that he resented Letizia, and Letizia having only two daughters and no more search for the boy like he did in the 60s. Letizia was the best thing that happened to bring the monarchy from the past toward the future with Leonor.

Why do you think this?

King Felipe VI wants to propose to Sánchez a stay of Don Juan Carlos in Spain in February

King Felipe VI will look for an opportunity to speak with the President of the Government to raise the possibility of Don Juan Carlos coming to Spain in the month of February.
It would, of course, be a temporary stay, during which he would reside, not in Zarzuela Palace, but in other accommodation that can be provided, from a direct or indirect relative, or from a friend.
One of the reasons for this management with the President of the Government is the consideration that "his father is older and does not want to miss moments with him," say the sources consulted by Monarchy Confidential.

https://monarquia.elconfidencialdig...rlos-espana-febrero/20230117233333092519.html

Well, it sounds as if the funeral had an impact beyond celebrating Constantine's life and mourning for their loss. Felipe realized that his father is getting older too, so, he might be sorry if he does not allow his father to spend some time nearby.

Well, it sounds as if the funeral had an impact beyond celebrating Constantine's life and mourning for their loss. Felipe realized that his father is getting older too, so, he might be sorry if he does not allow his father to spend some time nearby.

2023 is a general election year in Spain and, although the election doesn't have to take place until December, the timing is not favorable to JC's demands to come back to the country.

2023 is a general election year in Spain and, although the election doesn't have to take place until December, the timing is not favorable to JC's demands to come back to the country.

The place of residence of the former King will really not be a decisive factor in casting a vote. That will be the fast increasing cost of living, the shortage of affordable housing for Spaniards, the general state of the economy, the military conflict in Ukraine, the separatism in some parts of Spain, the refugee crisis, the transformation to a more sustainable Spain, the devolution within the regios and maybe, a very maybe, somewhere in Elche, Sanlucár or Henares there will be a Spaniard casting a vote with Juan Carlos de Borbón in mind (which I truly doubt).

The old king looked very frail at his brother in laws funeral.

The old king looked very frail at his brother in laws funeral.

But then he and Constantine know each other for most of their life and have probably been once quiet close. Also JC and Sofia had one of their Wedding ceremonies in the very same Cathedral.

I saw warm Pictures of him and King Felipe his son at King Constantine Funerals.
I saw how he ignored completely Queen Sophia. He did not want her to take his Arm.

I saw warm Pictures of him and King Felipe his son at King Constantine Funerals.
I saw how he ignored completely Queen Sophia. He did not want her to take his Arm.

They were next to each other in the Cathedral, they were talking to each other and so now and then there was a touch.

Don Juan Carlos was constantly helped by a personal assistent, to give him support while walking (see picture).

That gives the impression he was neglecting Doña Sofía, but he had to concentrate on his walking and the support by his assistant. One arm with a stick, another arm on the assistant.

Last edited:
The Minister of the Presidency, Félix Bolaños, says that Juan Carlos I can return to Spain when he sees fit:
"King Juan Carlos has no open criminal or judicial case. Of course he can come back".

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...pana-juan-carlos-claro-20230118131740-nt.html

King Juan Carlos does not want to accept the possibility of living at a friend's house or in a hotel, because that would force him to explain that the authorities are the ones that do not allow him to return to his home (Zarzuela Palace) and thus create problems in the relationship between King Felipe VI and the Government.
https://www.eldebate.com/espana/20230120/rey-juan-carlos-quiere-volver-residir-espana_87369.html

I wonder how long King Juan Carlos plans to stay in Spain?

The articles of certain conservative digital media, which have always supported Juan Carlos... must be read with caution. Their opinion is always that Juan Carlos wants to and has to return, but that is not entirely clear.

In Spain, Juan Carlos would be watched by the press, public opinion and the Treasury... he would not be able to do business, nor receive millionaire gifts from his friends... which means that he would not be able to lead the pace of life that he wants. The privacy and fiscal secrecy of the emirate benefit him, and he is interested in continuing to reside there. But neither he nor those who defend him so much can say it publicly.

Another thing is to return to Spain to visit... but to do so he cannot stage the circus of the last time, with friends who warned and leaked to the press every move. If he came to Spain he would have to organize things in a different way, be more discreet and focus on the family... so there wouldn't be so many suspicions with him.

In Spain, Juan Carlos would be watched by the press, public opinion and the Treasury...

We discussed this situation a while ago here in the thread.

And the sums, Juan Carlos has alledgedly amassed through his schemes, range up to 2 billion US-Dollars...

He has confessed far less, what means, that far less was given to the authorities.

But what, if there is at least some truth to this enormous sum - may be "only" some hundred millions?

In Germany we say, the last shirt has no pockets - and his time is limited considered his high age. So, will these monies end up in a secret fund in an Arabian bank?

This is at least a fascinating story!

Very good news for Don Juanca.

The full ruling by Mrs Justice Collins Rice, judge of the England and Wales High Court, whose principal conclusion is that the England and Wales high court does not have jurisdiction to try Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn's claim against King Juan Carlos, first and foremost because of state immunity.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content...Sayn-v-De-Borbon-Y-Borbon-judgment-060923.pdf
https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/KB/2023/2478.html

Official summary:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content...-Sayn-v-De-Borbon-Y-Borbon-summary-060923.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom