King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Juan Carlos has been the achilles heel of the SRF for sometime now,he won't be the 1st Bourbon to go into exile and I'm not at all shocked by the news.

It's slightly crazy that a man whose return (and moreso, choosing democracy) meant so much to Spain is now self-exiling. JC unfortunately seems to embody the modern adage about either dying a hero or living long enough to become the villain.

Does this mean Felipe and Letizia will finally be moving into Zarzuela?

I believe Felipe and Letizia and their daughters will be able to move to Zarzuela in a while, not now.
The only person in the royal family who will now live in the main building of the palace is Queen Sofia, accompanied by her sister, and not always full-time because she also usually spends time in Greece with her brother and sister-in-law.
Felipe VI and Queen Letizia now have the opportunity to move to the Zarzuela Palace and thus start a new era in the Spanish monarchy, free from scandals and controversies.

I don't think they will move there as long as Sofia and Irene are alive and the daughters still in school. It would have been Leonor's turn to go abroad the year after next but who knows with corona.

The decision of King Juan Carlos to move outside Spain will not entail any change in the situation of Queen Sofia, who will maintain his residence in the Palacio de la Zarzuela and to continue his institutional activity.

https://www.abc.es/estilo/gente/abc...os-para-reina-sofia-202008031946_noticia.html

"I respect the decisions communicated by the King's House and recognition of the exemplaryness and transparency that have always guided King Felipe VI since his arrival at the Head of State". It is the first and short message issued by the Government, an hour and a half after the announcement of Juan Carlos to move to live outside Spain.

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-torr...a-huida-escandalosa-202008031847_noticia.html

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia should have been moved to a smaller residence after the abdication.
I feel queen Sofia and her sister living at the Zarzuela palace minus the former head of State will attract more unwanted scrutiny.

Wow. This is kinda sleazy. Felipe and Letizia have a nice mansion and the audiences are done at the Zarzuela. I think that have the same problem as other reigning families where an elderly royal person blocks housing for the up and coming heirs. Also, Juan Carlos is very odd. Is he going to live in Portugal where he partly grew up?

Wow. This is kinda sleazy. Felipe and Letizia have a nice mansion and the audiences are done at the Zarzuela. I think that have the same problem as other reigning families where an elderly royal person blocks housing for the up and coming heirs. Also, Juan Carlos is very odd. Is he going to live in Portugal where he partly grew up?

That's an interesting thought. Didn't the president of Portugal recently visit the king. They might have discussed this particular issue (among many others).

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia should have been moved to a smaller residence after the abdication.
I feel queen Sofia and her sister living at the Zarzuela palace minus the former head of State will attract more unwanted scrutiny.

they should have switched Houses with Felipe and Letiza after the abdication in 2014.

I think that have the same problem as other reigning families where an elderly royal person blocks housing for the up and coming heirs.

In the Netherlands that was no problem as former Queen Beatrix moved out of Huis ten Bosch Palace after her abdication and in Belgium King Philippe and Queen Mathilde already lived into Laeken Palace as Queen Albert and Queen Paola had choosen not to move into it after becoming King and Queen.

Last edited:
It"s pathetic the way the spaniards make a joke of their monarchy thereby presenting themselves as clowns infront of the rest of the world!we are not the same and the magna carta only applies to common citizens that is why they have a parliament as to why they even lost Gilbrater refering to the Pact of Uterrect as if a prince is withdrawn from a pact so does his Kingdoms regency over that is withdrawn,So a kingdom becomes his king/QUEEN.If England raises a hand against it"s monarch is power falls as it"s monarch is head of a colony of countries which empowers her Kingdom with regulation or goods and commodities.is one of such Eg of the power of a prince.

The way it's coming across here is that he's slinking off to the sidelines because of his alleged involvement in a dodgy rail contract concerning Saudi Arabia.

He was the hero who restored democracy to Spain after Franco, and now this is what it's come to.

I can't see that it's just a question of accommodation. Surely he could have found somewhere else to live. There's no problem with retired monarchs in Belgium or the Netherlands.

Like i said earlier a subject cannoty raise his hand against his master.say no more.

What are the qualities of A Prince,Knowledge,war and fortune and that is what defines a prince and where he lacks this no law applies to him as whatever way it is achieved still defines him a prince under whose kingdom you have been made a Citizen and given a state to exempt you from a nobel kind as his blood line is and will be the sacrifices made to make you a kingdom and their blood shall not be ignored even tho the dead don"t count but their eforts will be expanded.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way it's coming across here is that he's slinking off to the sidelines because of his alleged involvement in a dodgy rail contract concerning Saudi Arabia.

He was the hero who restored democracy to Spain after Franco, and now this is what it's come to.

I can't see that it's just a question of accommodation. Surely he could have found somewhere else to live. There's no problem with retired monarchs in Belgium or the Netherlands.

He was already retired and apparently Felipe decided that wasn't enough given the serious allegations. I don't see how that compares to the Dutch monarch (who is on very good footing with her son and daughter-in-law still supporting them by taking on royal duties) or the Belgian emeriti (not on good footing but fading into the background - and with the paternity of Delphine established few new scandals expected to emerge) or even the emeritus pope (another former Sovereign) who has mostly stayed out of sight.

I checked on the Web and it's quite a bad scandal with money in a Swiss bank account and an alleged bribe paid by Saudi Aribia. It reminds me of the bribery scandal that brought down Juliana in the Netherlands.
I feel that it would be right if Queen Sofia leaves the Zarzuela Palace and that Felipe and Letizia and the girls move there.
This scandal is sleazy and makes the Spanish monarchy look bad.

Wow, clearly they hope this will somehow distance him and his ongoing issues from the King and monarchy.

In regards to the fact Juan Carlos & Sofia stayed at la zarzuela - I always though that was more F&L's wish. After all if I had a choice to stay in the main building or the Prince's Pavillion which was built for Felipe and offers more privacy for the family I know which I'd choose.

The Head of State should be residing at Zarzuela,there must be dozens of smaller properties that queen Sofia could live at with her sister.It should have been done in 2014.

with this whole scandal, i wonder how they will treat JC's funeral in due time. will he be given all the honours of a state funeral? will he be buried in spain, given that he is now in almost exile?

Lets deal with that another time and place Carlota .

I checked on the Web and it's quite a bad scandal with money in a Swiss bank account and an alleged bribe paid by Saudi Aribia. It reminds me of the bribery scandal that brought down Juliana in the Netherlands.
I feel that it would be right if Queen Sofia leaves the Zarzuela Palace and that Felipe and Letizia and the girls move there.
This scandal is sleazy and makes the Spanish monarchy look bad.
Why do you want to 'punish' Queen Sofia who has done nothing wrong?

If Felipe and Letizia wanted to live in Zarzuela I am sure they would have arranged that by now. Apparently the prefer their current living arrangements (a bit more private among other things - and still with full access to Zarzuela Palace for representative functions).

At this time , in Spain, no accusation falls on King Juan Carlos. This is true that her ex-lover Corinna Larsen was charged in Switzerland for a crime of money laundering, and that in her defense, trying to defend herself, she used the argument that King Juan Carlos donated that money to her. This has discovered a bank account in Switzerland with the name of King Juan Carlos. This account is being investigated, she says that the king's money in that account was commissions for the award of a high-speed train to a Spanish company in Saudi Arabia, the king of Saudi Arabia was the one who made the transfer, however The story is unfounded, because if it were true, the commission would not be paid by the King of Saudi Arabia but by the Spanish businessman who wanted that work. It analyzed in depth, does not make sense the afirms of Corinna. .
At this time, he can only be investigated for having an account of money in Swiss , that he didn´t declare to the public treasury.

I agree that the former kings should have been in another residence, such as the Pardo Palace, which was the residence of General Franco, it could have been to former King and Queen . I think that this was a mistake, because the press has used as an argument to attack the monarchy that King Juan Carlos lived in the same residence as his son. Not having thought about it before, has caused this serious problem.
I believe that the measure of leaving Spain, this is very excessive. I understand that because of the constant attacks of the press, I think that is not fair.

Last edited:
"I believe that the measure of leaving Spain, this is very excessive. I understand that because of the constant attacks of the press, I think that is not fair."
I quite agree with you, BUT whatever state he will live in he will never left alone by the media...

wouldn't there then have been uproar at the cost of making another residence available to the former King & Queen so F& can move 100 yards across the (private) road? All for appearances because it seems F&L are happy in their own more private residence. Certainly I can see why F&L would prefer to raise their girls in a more private residence rather than "living above the shop" in the main building. Would JC living in another building really have stopped any of this? I doubt it personally.

I wonder if we'll find out what country he will move/has moved to?

King Juan Carlos will be installed in Estoril, in Cascais, Portugal, after leaving Spain, advances the Portuguese press.
https://www.cmjornal.pt/mundo/detal...os-exila-se-no-estoril-apos-abandonar-espanha

https://tvi24.iol.pt/mf-mundo/espanha/rei-juan-carlos-esta-exilado-no-estoril

Legally, I guess that works, but Portugal doesn't seem like quite far enough. It's a smaller world than when the Duke of Windsor went to France.

This whole thing is so ignominious.

Legally, I guess that works, but Portugal doesn't seem like quite far enough. It's a smaller world than when the Duke of Windsor went to France.

This whole thing is so ignominious.

King Juan Carlos had already been in Estoril during his childhood. Juan Carlos has a great connection with Portugal and especially with Estoril. Juan Carlos feels at home in Portugal, and I think he has friends in Portugal.

He brought it on himself.. He is probably trying to put a clear distance between himself and Felipe for Fels sake...

King Juan Carlos will be installed in Estoril, in Cascais, Portugal, after leaving Spain, advances the Portuguese press.
https://www.cmjornal.pt/mundo/detal...os-exila-se-no-estoril-apos-abandonar-espanha

https://tvi24.iol.pt/mf-mundo/espanha/rei-juan-carlos-esta-exilado-no-estoril

I guess Villa Giralda is still in the family then... I wonder how often Juan Carlos has been back there given that it was where he most likely accidently killed his younger brother. For how many more years did his parents live in Estoril?

"Felipe, I hope this never happens to you..."

I guess Villa Giralda is still in the family then... I wonder how often Juan Carlos has been back there given that it was where he most likely accidently killed his younger brother. For how many more years did his parents live in Estoril?

Villa Giralda's house no longer belongs to the Spanish Royal Family.
The Counts of Barcelona and his family moved to Portugal in 1946, Juan Carlos was 8 at the time.
The Counts of Barcelona resided in Portugal until they returned to Spain in 1976.

This was a very, very bad move. This "exile" is now receiving more international press attention that even the scandal. This is not going to make it easy for the SRF. I am not even sure it will survive this.

King Juan Carlos could have left the Zarzuela Palace and moved to another location, but in Spain.
I think leaving the country like this wasn't exactly the best decision, but I think there was pressure from the Spanish government for this to happen like this....

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a very, very bad move. This "exile" is now receiving more international press attention that even the scandal. This is not going to make it easy for the SRF. I am not even sure it will survive this.

What if he's ill again? Will he return to Spain for treatment? Is this really going to work?

Back
Top Bottom