King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez spoke for the first time about the investigation into alleged corruption in which King Juan Carlos is allegedly involved.

It reinforced the idea that democratic mechanisms work by proving that "there is justice that is acting" and 'that the Royal Household itself is making a distance from such disturbing and disturbing information and that is something I appreciate'.

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-sanc...s-sobre-juan-carlos-202007081504_noticia.html

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez spoke for the first time about the investigation into alleged corruption in which King Juan Carlos is allegedly involved.

It reinforced the idea that democratic mechanisms work by proving that "there is justice that is acting" and 'that the Royal Household itself is making a distance from such disturbing and disturbing information and that is something I appreciate'.

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-sanc...s-sobre-juan-carlos-202007081504_noticia.html

Although Pedro Sánchez has said in the past that he is personally a republican, the fact is that the majority of the Spanish socioeconomic elite and a large part also of the political elite remain committed to preserving constitutional monarchy as Spain's system of government. When push comes to shove, I believe that, if necessary, they will throw D. Juan Carlos under the bus to save the Crown and the current King will go along with it while continuing to claim he knew nothing about his father's overseas funds.

D. Juan Carlos is aging though and is not in very good health apparently, so it might not come to this if the matter drags too long.

Although Pedro Sánchez has said in the past that he is personally a republican, the fact is that the majority of the Spanish socioeconomic elite and a large part also of the political elite remain committed to preserving constitutional monarchy as Spain's system of government. When push comes to shove, I believe that, if necessary, they will throw D. Juan Carlos under the bus to save the Crown and the current King will go along with it while continuing to claim he knew nothing about his father's overseas funds.

D. Juan Carlos is aging though and is not in very good health apparently, so it might not come to this if the matter drags too long.

What is happening to King Juan Carlos is really very sad.
Juan Carlos is living a big nightmare and he doesn't know how it's going to end.
I firmly believe he's not going to be arrested, obviously. Juan Carlos will have access to the best lawyers and will have many people to help him solve the situation.
Nevertheless, in my opinion, it is very sad that the government is throwing King Juan Carlos into such a delicate situation, when all That Juan Carlos did was known to successive governments.
They've closed their eyes for so long and now they're going to get him to their own devices.
Juan Carlos helped restore democracy in Spain and modernize the country. If Spain is what it is today it largely owes it to Juan Carlos.
At least you should have more respect for him.

Last edited:
What is happening to King Juan Carlos is really very sad.
Juan Carlos is living a big nightmare and he doesn't know how it's going to end.
I firmly believe he's not going to be arrested, obviously. Juan Carlos will have access to the best lawyers and will have many people to help him solve the situation.
Nevertheless, in my opinion, it is very sad that the government is throwing King Juan Carlos into such a delicate situation, when all That Juan Carlos did was known to successive governments.
They've closed their eyes for so long and now they're going to get him to their own devices.
Juan Carlos helped restore democracy in Spain and modernize the country. If Spain is what it is today it largely owes it to Juan Carlos.
At least you should have more respect for him.
He did it to himself. Yes he was a good king in many ways but he is hardly the only person who helped to modernise Spain or turn it into a democracy. And if he made money in a corrupt manner, he tarnished his own reputation.

He did it to himself. Yes he was a good king in many ways but he is hardly the only person who helped to modernise Spain or turn it into a democracy. And if he made money in a corrupt manner, he tarnished his own reputation.

Yes obviously King Juan Carlos was not the only person to help turn Spain into a democracy, but he is the symbol of this transformation and was at the forefront of this change.
Juan Carlos was a great king and so deserved more respect from this government.
I just think they could do things differently.

Yes obviously King Juan Carlos was not the only person to help turn Spain into a democracy, but he is the symbol of this transformation and was at the forefront of this change.
Juan Carlos was a great king and so deserved more respect from this government.
I just think they could do things differently.

If he has opened himself to accusations of corruption.. he's put himself in the firing line.

If he has opened himself to accusations of corruption.. he's put himself in the firing line.

Nonetheless, as I said, I don't see it as an existential threat to the Crown, at least not as long as King Felipe VI is able to distance himself from his father's actions (as he did with respect to his sister and brother-in-law) and as long as Spain's elite continues to support the monarchy, which I think they mostly still do.

This. It’s great that he was such a champion of democracy. However, if does not give him a free pass for any wrongdoings

Article from El Confidential with attached Documentation about Felipe as benifiacry of the Lucum Trust In Panama along with the other members of the RF (in Spanish - needs google translate):

https://www.elconfidencial.com/espa...00000euros-mes-billetes-cuenta-suiza_2676032/

Similar article from El Espanol (Also in Spanish - again Google Translate if needed) with further documentation:

https://www.elespanol.com/espana/tr...ron-millones-felipe-hermanas/503700999_0.html

English language summary of the two from Reuters With comments from PM Sanchez:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ions-of-former-kings-corruption-idUSKBN2492FX

All this documentation states explicitly that Corinna was to be the sole beneficiary of the account and that Felipe and his sisters were excluded from the funds

Last edited:
Here’s what i personally think has happened.This money might have Initially been earmarked for Felipe and his sisters but JC i think gave it to Corinna to punish them for siding with Sofia over their long running marital feud. Why else would JC specefilly state they they were not to get any cash? It probably wasn’t to protect them.

Thank you for everyone who has provided updates. With a developing story of this complexity the English-language summaries are particularly useful.

In regard to some of the developments I am confused over the timing. For example, one of the articles communicated information which it says was derived from the testimony of Princess Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein in 2018; why was that information from the testimony released to the press only now?

Just a little over a year after he retired from public life and has been rarely out of the headlines.

Why is he moving abraod? Is he in danger of a criminal prosecution? or jsut he's leavign Sofia?

Oh. So that was why we are not getting "family-on-holiday" pucs from Mallorca until next week :whistling:

I don't think this avoid him to be prosecuted in any way. Iñaki Urdngarin living in Geneva did not persuade him to be called to court and later admitted to jail. It's just another distance meassure from his son and, well... Sort of a confirmation that there is a good deal of truth on the accusations, I guess :whistling:

Nice times for the Spanish Monarchy.

Where will King Juan Carlos live?
According to the Spanish press, King Juan Carlos is no longer in the Zarzuela Palace, which means that he will no longer be in Spanish territory.

I hope this is the end of the controversies in the Spanish monarchy.

Wow, that's quite a statement - but very well crafted: emphasizing that he is doing so as he has the best interests of Spain and especially the monarchy at heart.

I wonder where he will move to (or more likely already has moved to). Hopefully, he didn't move to a place related to these charges (Middle East). Would moving to Geneva be a possibility (although these specific charges are about a bank account in Switzerland so probably not the best choice)? Cristina seems closer to her mother than her father but at least in that way he would have one of his children nearby. What would be other likely options?

I guess the decision not to remove his title as king is made partly because Felipe doesn't want his mother to loose the title of Queen. With this decision while Juan Carlos distanced himself even more than he already had by no longer carrying out any royal duties, she can continue representing the monarchy.

Last edited:
an odd move. like others, i also believe this is the unofficial confirmation that there is truth in the rumours and accusations, but i wonder what the real motivation is behind this. the obvious first one is distancing himself from felipe to try for this not to spill drama onto him, but there must be something else. i hope it is not the hope that he will not be judged if he lived abroad.

with JC, it has been a slow trickle of official moves to distance him as a way to allow the crown to continue to operate and have its reputation undamaged (abdicating, retiring from his official role, for felipe to distance himself from his inheritance, moving outside the country...). i wonder how else he will continue to respond to future accusations and investigations, as they seem to pop up quite often these days and it would seem that the royal household has used all the ways possible available to put distance between him and the RF already.

King Juan Carlos will never be arrested, he leaves Spain for the sake of the monarchy and his family.
This is a very sensitive matter for the whole family, we are talking about corruption.
King Juan Carlos has been in no official duties since last year and therefore no longer represents Spain and the Royal House.
The life of King Juan Carlos from now on must be in recollection, perhaps never seen in public again.
I believe he will live for a country far from Spain, perhaps to the Dominican Republic.
But he can also move to a nearby country, such as Switzerland where Infanta Cristina resides, and there he would be close to one of her daughters and grandchildren.
As I have said I do not believe in a conviction, at most he can pay a fine or even return a part of the money, but this is a complex case and probably will not even be solved in the lifetime of King Juan Carlos, who is sick and this will probably only worsen his state of health.
It is not known whether King Juan Carlos when he dies will be buried in Spain. I hope so, in the end, he was King of Spain.

Last edited:
But Queen Sofia stays in Spain?

It seems that the pressure became too much, Felipe had to distance himself from his father. History is repeating itself, first the abdication, the retirement from the public eye was not enough, now exile.

Hopefully this brings a bit of closure but I guess there will only be closure with the death of Juan Carlos.

Very sad end to a man who managed a unique achievement for Spain.

I would be surprised if any of this has an impact of the life or public reception of Queen Sofia, she'll stay where she is.

The statement doesn't use the word "exile" but I assume that is how it will be seen. I am confused in regard to how his move abroad will serve to protect the monarchy; he has already been retired from representing the crown and the move abroad will not end the investigations or the reporting of the investigations.

It's slightly crazy that a man whose return (and moreso, choosing democracy) meant so much to Spain is now self-exiling. JC unfortunately seems to embody the modern adage about either dying a hero or living long enough to become the villain.

Does this mean Felipe and Letizia will finally be moving into Zarzuela?

Back
Top Bottom