The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
People called him 'Prince Pils' in the earlier years, WA had the image of being lazy and not interested in duty.
He is a prime example of how the right choice of wife can make all the difference.

The same can be said about Prince Philippe, the Duke of Brabant. His choice for Mathilde certainly enhanced him. Also there a success formula. Also there the imago of the Heir was quite poor but his kingship has turned out to be pretty stable, even more than under his father King Albert II we may say.

I am not sure Doña Letizia has enhanced Don Felipe's profile. In my eye the Prince of Asturias already made a strong and promising impression. So there was nothing in need for improvement, let me say. Despite the separatism in Catalonia, the outlook of Spain and the monarchy is pretty healthy,

Old 08-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I see the monarchy to be abolished in the Netherlands or Sweden, earlier than in Belgium or Spain.

Reason: the stable democracies and societies of the Netherlands and Sweden can easily "handle" a shift from a monarchy to a republic.

In Belgium and Spain however, the monarchy and the Constutution are very linked to the very core existence of the state. Any proposed change will open Pandora's Box, will open a can of worms and is likely to have a seismic effect on the state and in society.

So weirdly enough a calm, prosperous and stable society will easier swap, simply because liberal and progressive people will possibly have a majority and find a monarchy an anomaly in a 21st C state. In Spain and in Belgium this will not be different, but there other centrifugal powers play a role: the separatistic and secessionist movements.

Doña Leonor's future looks more safe than those of Princess Catharina-Amalia or Princess Estelle.

My humble impression is that, although there is a strong republican sentiment especially on the left, the political and social elite in Spain is still mostly monarchist, which makes it difficult to initiate a serious move towards a republic.

Besides, the fact that politicians in Spain are seen by the Spaniards themselves as being mostly corrupt might make it less likely that there would be support for replacing the King with an elected president, who would be another politician after all.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Is the Queen popular among the Grandee of Spain.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
My humble impression is that, although there is a strong republican sentiment especially on the left, the political and social elite in Spain is still mostly monarchist, which makes it difficult to initiate a serious move towards a republic. Besides, the fact that politicians in Spain are seen by the Spaniards themselves as being mostly corrupt might make it less likely that there would be support for replacing the King with an elected president, who would be another politician after all.
It’s not so much about corruption per se (althouth its an important factor) as it is about regionalism and ethinicty. Republican sentiment, when regional separatism (Catalonia, Galicia, the Basque Country, etc...) is factored out isn’t actually that high. I remember an interview I read somwhere with Paul Preston, who pointed out that there is no realistic possibility of a Catalan, or a Basque* for that matter, becoming prime minister of Spain at present. The likelihood of somebody from one of those groups becoming president of a third spanish republic is less likely as the abolition of the monarchy would in effect lead to the breakup of the spanish state. The monarchy, despite the royal family’s issues, will probably remain in place as the alternative is deemed by the powers that be as worse.

* I am aware of the fact that Mariano Rajoy and Franco were from Galicia.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Nobility

That is totally incorrect. Moreover, at present, the politician best valued by the Spaniards, is Albert Rivera, of Ciudadanos, Albert is Catalan, and has achieved excellent results in the Spanish elections. It is even very curious, the best results of Albert Rivera have been in Madrid. Spanish would never vote for a member of a pro-independence political party as Prime Minister( In no country do I believe that people would vote for a political party that only represents a small portion of its territory, it is mathematical logic).

Spaniards never vote in attention to the region from which the person comes, it is irrelevant to us that he was born in Barcelona or Bilbao, this is irrelevant for us, we , the Spaniards always vote according to political and ideological formation.

Franco was not elected democratically, He was a dictator, Rajoy was elected democratically, by his ideology and political formation.
The Spanish monarchy can perfectly endure, with popular support or not. I have read the reason in this same forum. Spaniards are like Italians, a time has come when the country's political crisis leads people to think:
Politician = corruption. In Spain people would not vote for a constitutional reform, as has happened in Italy, why? because who proposes to reform the constitution are the politicians.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Former King of Spain's ex-mistress will be quizzed over her claims the royal 'asked for a share of £72million payment made to secure rail deal for Spanish firms in Saudi Arabia'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-payment.html
Old 03-06-2020, 12:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ts-foundation/

Former King of Spain Juan Carlos funded private jets from foundation linked to Swiss investigation

New revelations about Juan Carlos' lavish lifestyle come amid Swiss investigation and looming court battle with ex-lover
Old 03-12-2020, 10:33 AM
Aristocracy

Is there any change in this front with the latest revelations regarding Juan Carlos financial dealings before he resigned...?
Old 03-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

King Felipe Renounces Inheritance of King Juan Carlos - 2020

The King Felipe VI renounces the inheritance of Don Juan Carlos.
Don Juan Carlos will stop receiving the allocation he receives from the Budgets of the Casa del Rey.

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/...8_noticia.html

https://www.rtve.es/noticias/2020031.../2010101.shtml

King Felipe VI has renounced the inheritance that may personally correspond to him from his father, Don Juan Carlos, as well as any asset, investment or financial structure whose origin may not be in accordance with the law or with criteria of rectitude.

This has been indicated by Royal House through a statement in which it also reports that don Juan Carlos no longer receives the allocation that he has set in the budgets of the House of His Majesty the King.

https://www.rtve.es/contenidos/docum...uan_carlos.pdf

https://www.casareal.es/ES/AreaPrens....aspx?data=112
Old 03-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Recently the press has published information about the alleged participation of Juan Carlos in foundations in tax havens, it seems that it was his ex-friend Corinna who was behind these leaks.

The latest information has been that supposedly (there are no documents proving anything), King Felipe had been designated as heir to these funds to administer for the entire family. One of the foundations no longer exists, and most of the money in it was received by Corinna, according to her as a "gift".

Now King Felipe has come out to answer... He was not aware of anything until a London law firm (the Royal House does not say it but they are Corinna's lawyers) sent him a letter last year (they do not clarify with what intentions they did) where they said it but without no document proving it. King Felipe sent the letter to the authorities, and made a notarial act explaining his ignorance, and that neither he nor in the name of his daughter had accepted anything.

King Felipe also informed his father, King Juan Carlos, who acknowledges that he never informed his son about the foundations.

King Felipe officially communicates that he renounces the inheritance that corresponds to him from his father, and that he withdraws the money he receives from the Royal House.

King Juan Carlos deigns a lawyer to report on the issue from now on.

http://cadenaser00.epimg.net/descarg...71a0d7fba9.pdf
Old 03-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post

Now King Felipe has come out to answer... He was not aware of anything until a London law firm (the Royal House does not say it but they are Corinna's lawyers) sent him a letter last year (they do not clarify with what intentions they did) where they said it but without no document proving it. King Felipe sent the letter to the authorities, and made a notarial act explaining his ignorance, and that neither he nor in the name of his daughter had accepted anything.
The press release from Casa Real says that when the British law firm informed him (without any evidence) of his supposed designation as beneficiary of the foundation he did three things: he sent a copy of the letter to the authorities, another to his father and informed the law firm that he had no knowledge, participation or responsibility in the foundation and that he was not going to appoint a legal representative to open a negotiation about this with Corinna's law firm.

To me, reading between the lines, this last sentence about the supposed negotiation Corinna's lawyers wanted sounds like blackmail. We won't leak details to the press if you help us (Corinna was under investigation for financial crimes).

In the end, Corinna started the leaks about JC, and when that got her nowhere, she played her last card trying to involve Felipe.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Political reactions to King Felipe VI's decision.

Most political leaders praise Felipe VI's decision.
https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-pablo...0_noticia.html
Old 03-15-2020, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

If I understand it correctly the renunciation only applies to these specific funds where the mistress was involved in?
Other things such as jewels or funds acquired unrelated to Corinna were not renounced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC
To me, reading between the lines, this last sentence about the supposed negotiation Corinna's lawyers wanted sounds like blackmail. .
It sounds like that to me too.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

A real bomb IMO... I think Felipe is right to distance himself from that kind of money. Anyway the fact that he (JC) will no longer receive a dotation sounds like a punishment to me.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I realized in the communiqué, King Felipe VI only renounces that part of the inheritance, which he supposedly did not know.
I think Felipe VI acted in an exemplary way in this situation and avoided a big problem for the royal house and the monarchy.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/w...los-spain.html

Obviously there is truth in all the rumors:
King Felipe VI of Spain said on Sunday that he was renouncing his personal inheritance from his father, Juan Carlos, who has been implicated in a Swiss offshore account investigation.

In a statement, the palace said that Juan Carlos, who abdicated in 2014, would also stop receiving an annual grant of €194,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51902673
Old 03-16-2020, 02:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

King Felipe VI of Spain said on Sunday that he was renouncing his personal inheritance from his father, Juan Carlos, who has been implicated in a Swiss offshore account investigation.

In a statement, the palace said that Juan Carlos, who abdicated in 2014, would also stop receiving an annual grant of €194,000.

I don't know about the Spanish royal wealth. Does JC have much personal wealth? I can find things on what the royal family is worth but not personal wealth of someone like JC. Is turning down a share of his father's estate a huge amount for Felipe?

But it does make sense. Felipe has to know how precarious his throne is at times. They survived the corruption scandal around his sister and Inaki. He needs to distance himself as much as possible from any corruption his father may be associated with now.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
From what I realized in the communiqué, King Felipe VI only renounces that part of the inheritance, which he supposedly did not know.
I think Felipe VI acted in an exemplary way in this situation and avoided a big problem for the royal house and the monarchy.

Hear Hear Hear!!!An admirable ACT to distance himself from that old man,
who did so much for democracy in Spain at the time,but became a selfcentered pain & nuisance in his later years.

Bravo Felipe!!A very wise decision.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Good!!Admirable action by King Felipe!!
Old 03-16-2020, 05:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would not say that everything is true, I would say that there is some truth and many things to clarify. Who has leaked all the information to the press and to a corrupt ex-Spanish policeman who is dedicated to extorting people is Corinna.

What the Royal House has done is to stop Corinna's pressure, and remove Juan Carlos so that he can defend himself. Now we will have to wait, and see if what Corinna has said is true or what she has tried to do is direct the investigation in her favor.

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs