The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #741  
Old 10-26-2020, 05:48 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,661
In a way, the process that occurred with Sofia is beginning to occur with Letizia.

Her daughters are growing up and gaining prominence in the press, so Letizia is no longer the only center of media attention and the pressure on her is reduced. More and more the press publishes articles saying that she had to have a more important role and have activities with more international projection.

The Corinna story is reinforcing an idea that already began with the Noos case ... the idea that perhaps Letizia and some attitudes and decisions of her were the correct ones, because she did have knowledge of circumstances that from outside were unknown.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 10-26-2020, 05:57 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
As a born royal Sofia was well trained for her position, she put in the hard work, did her job for Spain with a lot of empathy and without complaining despite difficult conditions (young and vulnerable monarchy, ETA terror, JC's womanizing), a good mother - many applaud her for grooming Felipe so well for his kingship (Felipe's nickname: El Preparado) - and of course a doting grandmother for all her grandchildren. From 'La Griega' to a Queen who can do no wrong, that is quite an achievement.

I don't understand why Sofia being a foreigner was an issue in Spain. Weren't all queens consort of Spain before her (since the 16th century) also foreigners? Or was her specific nationality (Greek) the problem? Sofia wasn't the first queen either who had to convert to Catholicism (Victoria Eugenie was originally Protestant for example).


List of Spanish consorts


EDIT: Based on the list linked above, Mercedes de Orléans, the first wife of Alfonso XII, was born in Spain even though her father was French. So I must rectify my previous statement from "all queens consort" to "almost all queens consort".
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 10-26-2020, 06:23 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't understand why Sofia being a foreigner was an issue in Spain. Weren't all queens consort of Spain before her (since the 16th century) also foreigners? Or was her specific nationality (Greek) the problem? Sofia wasn't the first queen either who had to convert to Catholicism (Victoria Eugenie was originally a Protestant for example).


List of Spanish consorts


EDIT: Based on the list linked above, Mercedes de Orléans, the first wife of Alfonso XII, was born in Spain even though her father was French. So I must rectify my previous statement from "all queens consort" to "almost all queens consort".
I think it's as simple as the press thinking up things to criticise Queen Sofia for. That said Queen Ena was deeply unpopular because of an aristocratic dislike of her and because of rising republicanism. Like Sofia she did manage to turn public opinion around and was in the later years of her husband's reign one of the most popular royals because of her charity work and because she was seen as more modern than the rest of her family.
Ena's mother-in-law, Queen Maria Christina, was deeply respected because of her Habsburg heritage and because of how she very successfully handled her son's regency.
Before her most other queens were either daughters or granddaughters of a Spanish prince or a princess. Queen Sofia's mother-in-law, The Countess of Barcelona, for instance was the seventh or eighth generation of a long line of Bourbon princesses who married a Bourbon prince.
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
In a way, the process that occurred with Sofia is beginning to occur with Letizia.

Her daughters are growing up and gaining prominence in the press, so Letizia is no longer the only center of media attention and the pressure on her is reduced. More and more the press publishes articles saying that she had to have a more important role and have activities with more international projection.

I fully agree - and I forgot to mention something in my earlier post, Sofia never had the kind of media pressure that Letizia had to endure. Of course it's not nice to be confronted by hostility but it's even worse when it happens on a daily basis in the mass media.
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 10-26-2020, 08:22 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 30,741
Sofia had other pressures too,she was under the thumb of General Franco from her arrival in Spain up until his death.There was turmoil too in her homeland in the late 60's too when her brother was deposed and in exile.If anything queen Sofia is an excellent actress keeping a smile on her face.
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 10-26-2020, 11:35 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
In a way, the process that occurred with Sofia is beginning to occur with Letizia.

Her daughters are growing up and gaining prominence in the press, so Letizia is no longer the only center of media attention and the pressure on her is reduced. More and more the press publishes articles saying that she had to have a more important role and have activities with more international projection.

The Corinna story is reinforcing an idea that already began with the Noos case ... the idea that perhaps Letizia and some attitudes and decisions of her were the correct ones, because she did have knowledge of circumstances that from outside were unknown.
Let’s not pretend that Letizia’s behaviour has always been great and the press went after her for no reason. She had no problem being episodically rude and provocative from the time she married up until several years into her husband’s reign. What’s changed is that, first, she knows she did an incredible amount of damage at Palma and can’t afford another episode like that, and now, more urgently, she and Felipe must also know that, while the Spanish media and political class is currently circling the wagons around the couple and their children, a lot of them don’t actually believe that Felipe knew nothing about his father’s financial dealings. Especially since Felipe was set to inherit all the money. The royal couple and their daughters are in damage control mode for the foreseeable future; there’s no more room for egregiously bad behaviour.
Reply With Quote
  #747  
Old 10-26-2020, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Let’s not pretend that Letizia’s behaviour has always been great and the press went after her for no reason. She had no problem being episodically rude and provocative from the time she married up until several years into her husband’s reign. What’s changed is that, first, she knows she did an incredible amount of damage at Palma and can’t afford another episode like that, and now, more urgently, she and Felipe must also know that, while the Spanish media and political class is currently circling the wagons around the couple and their children, a lot of them don’t actually believe that Felipe knew nothing about his father’s financial dealings. Especially since Felipe was set to inherit all the money. The royal couple and their daughters are in damage control mode for the foreseeable future; there’s no more room for egregiously bad behaviour.
Felipe, Sofia, the infantas, the top government officials all knew JC received commissions from some business deals, although they might not know all the details, such as the amount, where the money is. JC is the father, the King, he did what he wanted to do. Even the government left a blind eye or even bet JC to help on the business deals, what could Felipe possibly do ? Felipe has not been blamed since he hasn't participated at his father's deals, neither have Sofia or infantas be blamed for JC's financial deals.
If someone had been scrutinized to millimeters, it was not hard to find something to be disliked since nobody was perfect. The Palma incident was unfortunate, but truly exaggerated, the thing Letizia did wrong was being clumsy. She should just walk up to her mother-in-law, told her to wait and take the pictures outside the Cathedral. If this incident happened a few years earlier, Letizia and Sofia reversed their role, Letizia was one who wanted the photographer to take the pictures of her and her daughters, Sofia came to stop her, I bet Letizia would still be criticized.
Reply With Quote
  #748  
Old 11-03-2020, 12:45 PM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 552
Yet more allegations, this time Sofia is involved - credit cards linked to the aforementioned accounts....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-allegations
Reply With Quote
  #749  
Old 11-03-2020, 01:09 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,893
https://inews.co.uk/news/world/king-...-misuse-746927


dig and you shall find.
no surprise that the family used secret accounts to finance their lifestyle
you can't settle everything with a suitcase full of money so you need a construct that works with credit cards.
Reply With Quote
  #750  
Old 11-03-2020, 10:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: malaga, Spain
Posts: 368
Emeritus Sofía is involved in a corruption case. The Anticorruption Prosecutor's Office is investigating the expenses of several credit cards used by King Juan Carlos de Borbón, Queen Sofía and several of their closest relatives.
Some of the oldest grandchildren of Emerita Sofía would be involved.
https://diariodealicante.net/rey-jua...ofia-tarjetas/
Reply With Quote
  #751  
Old 11-04-2020, 02:16 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Derby, United States
Posts: 220
I know many do not like Daily Mail, however, it is free, not behind a paid wall and it is reporting the same information as the above link from janelarn, which Some of us cannot read. Thanks for the update janelarn.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dit-cards.html
Reply With Quote
  #752  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: malaga, Spain
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJulie View Post
I know many do not like Daily Mail, however, it is free, not behind a paid wall and it is reporting the same information as the above link from janelarn, which Some of us cannot read. Thanks for the update janelarn.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dit-cards.html
Oh, it's perfect. I hadn't seen it in English. Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote
  #753  
Old 11-04-2020, 08:54 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,914
Oh boy! This is not good at all!
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
Reply With Quote
  #754  
Old 12-07-2020, 06:33 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 6,164
King Juan Carlos presents a proposal for a fiscal regularization.
The Treasury must respond in the next few days if it accepts the request of the emeritus or asks for more clarifications and what is the amount that should be paid.

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-12-06...on-fiscal.html

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-12-06...os-opacos.html

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-12-06...un-delito.html
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #755  
Old 12-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
https://inews.co.uk/news/world/king-...-misuse-746927


dig and you shall find.
no surprise that the family used secret accounts to finance their lifestyle
you can't settle everything with a suitcase full of money so you need a construct that works with credit cards.

The good thing is that, once again, Felipe, Letizia and their daughers were not implicated.


But apparently "unnamed grandchildren" of Juan Carlos and Sofia might be. Elena's or Cristina's children possibly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
King Juan Carlos presents a proposal for a fiscal regularization.
The Treasury must respond in the next few days if it accepts the request of the emeritus or asks for more clarifications and what is the amount that should be paid.

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-12-06...on-fiscal.html

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-12-06...os-opacos.html

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-12-06...un-delito.html

A sensible move by the emeritus king which can ease the pressure on him or even get him off the hook.
Reply With Quote
  #756  
Old 12-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
List of Spanish consorts


EDIT: Based on the list linked above, Mercedes de Orléans, the first wife of Alfonso XII, was born in Spain even though her father was French. So I must rectify my previous statement from "all queens consort" to "almost all queens consort".
Not only was she born and raised in Spain, she was born as an Infanta of Spain.
Reply With Quote
  #757  
Old 12-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Lady Daly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sherwood, United States
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The good thing is that, once again, Felipe, Letizia and their daughers were not implicated.


But apparently "unnamed grandchildren" of Juan Carlos and Sofia might be. Elena's or Cristina's children possibly.





A sensible move by the emeritus king which can ease the pressure on him or even get him off the hook.
Yes, definitely a first step in the right direction. Next move by the treasury to accept or request more information.
Reply With Quote
  #758  
Old 12-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 6,164
The King emeritus pays 678,000 euros to catch up with the Treasury.
His defense states in a statement that King Juan Carlos is "at the disposal" of the Prosecutor's Office for any "procedure or action".

https://www.larazon.es/espana/202012...bhxitmjdy.html
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #759  
Old 12-09-2020, 03:37 PM
Lady Daly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sherwood, United States
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The King emeritus pays 678,000 euros to catch up with the Treasury.
His defense states in a statement that King Juan Carlos is "at the disposal" of the Prosecutor's Office for any "procedure or action".

https://www.larazon.es/espana/202012...bhxitmjdy.html
It appears the payment of €678,393.72 to the Treasury is just the beginning.

This is one of the three investigations the Supreme Court Prosecutor's Office has open in relation to Juan Carlo's credit card scheme.

"In addition to these events, the Supreme Court Prosecutor's Office is also investigating the one hundred million dollars (64.8 million euros) that Don Juan Carlos received in 2008 from the then King of Saudi Arabia, Abdalá bin Abdulaziz al-Saúd, supposedly as a commission for his intermediation work in the award of the construction works of the AVE from Medina to Mecca. An amount that he transferred to Corinna Larsen in 2012".

"Finally, the Supreme Prosecutor Ignacio Campos also investigates the King Emeritus after alerting the Money Laundering Prevention Service (Sepblac) of the existence of a financial trust on the island of Jersey, a traditional tax haven in the English Channel , of which the King emeritus would be the beneficiary, and in which, according to La Sexta, almost ten million euros would have been deposited and from which a suspicious transfer would have been detected."

It seems like Emeritus King Juan Carlos won't be returning to Spain anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
  #760  
Old 12-09-2020, 03:52 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 30,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
It seems like Emeritus King Juan Carlos won't be returning to Spain anytime soon.
I think it will be a very long time before we see Juan Carlos back in Spain.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
William and Harry's Inheritance Duchess British Royals 125 08-24-2019 01:33 PM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor baby names baptism birth britain britannia british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house cpr dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon general news thread george vi gradenigo hello! hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jewellery kensington palace king edward vii list of rulers luxembourg meghan markle monarchy mountbatten names nepalese royal family pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen louise resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon sussex swedish queen thailand thai royal family tradition uae customs united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×