The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2020, 07:06 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I don't think this is true. The monarchy is not an anachromism. The truth is that many countries exist as we know them because of their kings. Portugal is one such case. Monarchies are part of the history of their countries and the world and give identity to their countries. The republic has almost nothing to offer these countries.
And many young people also identify with monarchies and are monarchists, as is my case.
there is no truth but different opinions.
i said the behaviour towards royals is a anachronism and i mentioned the future like the article , not talking about the history and just luke you? i cannot predict future.
please read carefully before producing false stuff!

Old 08-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't think this is true. The monarchy is not an anachromism. The truth is that many countries exist as we know them because of their kings. Portugal is one such case. Monarchies are part of the history of their countries and the world and give identity to their countries. The republic has almost nothing to offer these countries.
And many young people also identify with monarchies and are monarchists, as is my case.

The author is clearly anti-monarchist and, based on his references to a post-Brexit "diminished Little Britain", his political leanings are clear too. His opinion is biased and should be read in that context.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
there is no truth but different opinions.
i said the behaviour towards royals is a anachronism and i mentioned the future like the article , not talking about the history and just luke you? i cannot predict future.
please read carefully before producing false stuff!
But I just gave my opinion. Just like you gave yours. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Spain and Thailand are both the 2 monarchies making the wrong headlines!
Old 08-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Commoner

Quote:
But I just gave my opinion. Just like you gave yours. Sorry if I offended you.
no no, sorry, my language is not so good in english. am nit offended.
it's opinions, and at least we here will remain positive for the royals.

I' ve read there are investigations in england because one of the houses corinna larsen(she is not entitled to use the princesstitle or surname anymore) bought after receiving the money from JC. is this a big thing in the british media, too or only in spanish (which i consume more for its my mother tongue)? thank you.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
no no, sorry, my language is not so good in english. am nit offended.
it's opinions, and at least we here will remain positive for the royals.

I' ve read there are investigations in england because one of the houses corinna larsen(she is not entitled to use the princesstitle or surname anymore) bought after receiving the money from JC. is this a big thing in the british media, too or only in spanish (which i consume more for its my mother tongue)? thank you.
But I didn't offend you. I just gave my opinion. That's what I'm here for. I've been at the TRF since 2013 and I've never had any problems with anyone.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:15 PM
Commoner

Quote:
But I didn't offend you. I just gave my opinion. That's what I'm here for. I've been at the TRF since 2013 and I've never had any problems with anyone.
no, no, no, but i said, i am not feeling offended by you. it is our opinions only.
you excused before, but I do not feel offended.
everything is ok.
hope you understand now? thank you. sorry my english is not good to understand always yet.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many years have he and Queen Sofia (supposedly been) estranged?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Since there's no explanation for how long it's been, or why, other than gossip, a rough estimate is anything from the past twenty-five years (at a bare minimum) to before Felipe was born. The truth is probably somewhere in that middle.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The male heir was imperative to secure the monarchy at that time, maybe it started to become a full business marriage after that.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:50 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
According to Pilar Eyre, who wrote the biography "La soledad de la Reina" (The loneliness of the Queen) on Sofia, she privately separated from him in 1976 after catching him with another woman. She's often quoted with that date, I suppose because it's the only concrete date anyone has suggested. Who knows but I think it's been a long time...
Old 08-27-2020, 05:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post
According to Pilar Eyre, who wrote the biography "La soledad de la Reina" (The loneliness of the Queen) on Sofia, she privately separated from him in 1976 after catching him with another woman. She's often quoted with that date, I suppose because it's the only concrete date anyone has suggested. Who knows but I think it's been a long time...

If that is true, it must have been terrible to be separated from your spouse for 44 years and not be able to marry or be with someone else. Whereas that was not uncommon for many queens consort in the past, they generally had their own lovers too. As far as I know, Queen Sofia on the other hand has lived a chaste life all that time.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:11 AM
Commoner

But i think this generation of Sofia many women lived like that. how many perfect couples do you know? it is not so special, divorce was then unsual nit only because of faith or dynasty. anyway if Sofia wanted she could have done it, but she chosen to remain queen, it was her decision. chastity which was mentioned does not mean you do not be close to your husband, chastity is much more. i do not know but don't believe Sofia was chaste in the real sense, but this is left to privacy.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If that is true, it must have been terrible to be separated from your spouse for 44 years and not be able to marry or be with someone else. Whereas that was not uncommon for many queens consort in the past, they generally had their own lovers too. As far as I know, Queen Sofia on the other hand has lived a chaste life all that time.

I agree, it sounds terrible and it's just very sad if you're in a 58-year-marriage, the last majority of which has been spent separated & alone but without a real chance of finding new love.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not Spanish but I'd think most would rather have someone graceful and serene like Sofia as Queen rather than Corinna or who ever else JC decided to marry. To be honest I bet he liked being married to Sofia as it gave him an excuse not to be able to commit (or be tied down) to his many mistresses. The ultimate get out clause.

If JC felt able to transfer such a large amount to Corinna do we think he and the RF have kept other amounts for themselves?
Old 08-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I'm not Spanish but I'd think most would rather have someone graceful and serene like Sofia as Queen rather than Corinna or who ever else JC decided to marry. To be honest I bet he liked being married to Sofia as it gave him an excuse not to be able to commit (or be tied down) to his many mistresses. The ultimate get out clause.

If JC felt able to transfer such a large amount to Corinna do we think he and the RF have kept other amounts for themselves?

That is actually the crucial question IMHO. If it turns out that all the money went to Corinna, then the monarchy can emerge from this scandal without any significant long-term damage. However, if part of the money was intended for JC's children, especially for Felipe as his heir, then things get complicated.

Felipe has shielded himself and his family by renouncing any inheritance from JC, but there is still a lingering question regarding how much he knew (or did not know) about his father's secret accounts. He denies any knowledge whatsoever, but it is not impossible that he knew about it and only denied it when JC was caught. If the latter is true and Felipe lied about it, then his reign would be in danger, but it is a big if.

So far, I think the establishment's reaction has been to protect Felipe and throw JC under the bus if needed. Maybe now that he chose self-exile, he will be just left alone until natural life runs its course, which is perhaps the most convenient solution for everyone involved.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Speculative posts and replies have been deleted. This thread has now been re-opened.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I think there is no way that Corinna would have ever been accepted as Queen by the Spanish people. I just can't picture it. And Sofia is very popular, divorcing her and replacing her with anyone would have always been a disaster.

Much as the European monarchies may have been modernized, I think there is still an understanding that once someone is Queen Consort, that is it. You do not divorce the Queen and replace her with somebody else, it's just not done.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post
I think there is no way that Corinna would have ever been accepted as Queen by the Spanish people. I just can't picture it. And Sofia is very popular, divorcing her and replacing her with anyone would have always been a disaster.

Much as the European monarchies may have been modernized, I think there is still an understanding that once someone is Queen Consort, that is it. You do not divorce the Queen and replace her with somebody else, it's just not done.
Since there is no divorce in the Catholic Church Sofia would have been seen as the permanent wife anyway. Anything else would have been "merely" legal and rather shady. Seeing as how he would certainly not be able to give a Sofia-replacement the title of "Catholic Majesty", I doubt even JC would have had the cojones to try for "Queen". (Or to try for an annulment, for that matter.)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Courtier

Taki’s two drachmas worth on all this

https://www.takimag.com/article/current-affairs/

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs