The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2020, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
I think it was/is out of the question that JC as King of Spain would get divorced, and surly no annullment - as there are 3 kids; and his son heir/ now king.
annulment is possible, it does not depend on the number of children a couple has

Old 08-20-2020, 02:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I'd be surprised if JC would ever truly feel like he could divorce Sofia, while he might on a personal level as "king" he would have seen this was out the question. That said I guess if Felipe was onside could Sofia have been granted or kept her titles and status anyway? I can't really see any of the children accepting a divorce and much less their mother having no roles and titles in Spain.

I would assume any marriage to Corinna would have to be morganatic at the very least to pull it off. Poor Sofia, carrying on as before while her husband leaves the country with one of his many mistresses and this silly interview shows how little JC cared for her. As for Corinna being upset JC was seeing another woman - how funny!
Indeed made me laugh, too. always a problem when the mistress turns out to behave like your wife
But like always no one knows what happens in a marriage, there is always two who are responsable and the children openly interacting with at least one mistress tells a lot.
Sofia managed to keep a good reputation though nowadays women and feminists would see things differently.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Poor Sofia, carrying on as before while her husband leaves the country with one of his many mistresses and this silly interview shows how little JC cared for her. As for Corinna being upset JC was seeing another woman - how funny!
I wouldn't feel too badly for Sofia. Her cheating so-and-so of a husband is gone; she's free. Unless and until we find out what she knew about potential bribes and money laundering (and hey, being his legal spouse finally comes in handy...), she looks blameless. And she's still Queen and esteemed. I really think she's fine. Maybe even better since he left (unlike her son and his family).

If Corinna had discussed (and not just assumed) exclusivity with JC then she had a right to be upset, whatever his track record. Mistresses are people with human relationships and feelings, too.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:40 PM
Nobility

I listened to Corinna's interview, and I had to wonder if she's preparing to suggest that Juan Carlos is her son's father. She mentioned his fondness for the boy multiple times, as well as his determination that the kid inherit guns, money, and other things.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I listened to Corinna's interview, and I had to wonder if she's preparing to suggest that Juan Carlos is her son's father. She mentioned his fondness for the boy multiple times, as well as his determination that the kid inherit guns, money, and other things.
He would suggest guns for a kid after what happened to him?

Even if the kid was inheriting as an adult. Yuck.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
I wouldn't feel too badly for Sofia. Her cheating so-and-so of a husband is gone; she's free. Unless and until we find out what she knew about potential bribes and money laundering (and hey, being his legal spouse finally comes in handy...), she looks blameless. And she's still Queen and esteemed. I really think she's fine. Maybe even better since he left (unlike her son and his family).

If Corinna had discussed (and not just assumed) exclusivity with JC then she had a right to be upset, whatever his track record. Mistresses are people with human relationships and feelings, too.
Of course she has the right to be upset, I meant I found it funny she though JC was capable of being "exclusive to her" given he was cheating on Sofia with her. Maybe its better they didn't marry, as Oscar Wilde once said" a man who marries his mistress leaves a vacancy in that position". I don't see why she would expect him to change his ways having known he was cheating for much of his married life.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I can no longer believe it, because her youngest son was born in 2002 from her marriage to Prince Casimir zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn.
But we also don't know when Corinna met King Juan Carlos. The only thing we know is that she already knew Juan Carlos in 2004, because she organized Felipe and Letizia's honeymoon.
But I want to believe that Corinna's son is not the result of her betrayal with JC, it would be too bad.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Courtier

The bbc4 radio doc about all this - not certain if it works outside the uk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lvc6
Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
He would suggest guns for a kid after what happened to him?

Even if the kid was inheriting as an adult. Yuck.
This also would have been around the time Frolain shot himself in the foot!
Old 08-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Majesty

Her youngest son? Isn't Alexander her only child?
Old 08-20-2020, 03:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
It surprises me too. I have not followed the SRF closely for a while but it seems according to people’s comments that JC and Sofía have been essentially separated for many years now, but seeing as they also seem to pretty devout Catholics it comes as a surprise that he would be willing to divorce and marry this Corinna. Perhaps he was hoping for an annulment?
I am not a Catholic , though I am a Christian . I understand that JC is very "human " , and that as such he has his failings . However I do not understand the description of him as a "devout catholic ". Unless he felt that "confessing his sin's " in the confessional truly meant that they would no longer be held against him by God .
I have always understood that you must undertake not to repeat the sin you have asked for forgiveness from . Based on the number of his reported adulterous relationships during his marriage , his confessor must have felt totally helpless , a painful situation for priest . Let alone his wife and Queen , mother of his children .
Old 08-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess somehow Juan Carlos is included with Sofía - who based on the interviews and books about her indeed is a devout Catholic. But I agree, I see little reason to think that Juan Carlos himself is a devout Catholic.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Her youngest son? Isn't Alexander her only child?
She has a son from her first marriage, too.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:30 PM
Gentry

My sympathies are with HM Sofia , to change your religion , to marry the man you love , to commit yourself to a very uncertain future , only to find that your husband has no intention of committing himself solely to you must have been heartbreaking . However she had made the decision to marry JC , and never wavered . She has shown a total commitment to Spain , it's people , and her family , I admire her greatly . I do not think it shows her as old fashioned / not a feminist , only that she is a woman who recognised that she could accomplish a great deal of good for her adopted people/ country in her role as Queen .
Old 08-20-2020, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
She has a son from her first marriage, too.
The name of the child is Anastasia, so I suppose her first child is a daughter instead of a son.

I guess for her a divorce wasn't as big a deal, given that she divorced both her husband's after 5 years of marriage (and already started an intimate relationship with Juan Carlos while still married to her second husband).

Born in 1964 as Corinna Larsen
Met first husband in 1989
Got married to first husband in 1990 - became Corinna Adkins
First child in 1992 - named: Anastasia
Divorced in 1995 - not sure whether she retained his name
Married second husband (12 years her junior) in 1999 (or 2000?) - became princess Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
Second child in 2002 - named: Alexander
Became mistress of king Juan Carlos in 2004
Divorced in 2004 (or 2005?)- retained her noble married name of 'Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn' (although the latter part is normally omitted at least in her case)
Went to Botswana with Juan Carlos and made headlines in international news in 2012 (and received 65 million!)
Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Of course she has the right to be upset, I meant I found it funny she though JC was capable of being "exclusive to her" given he was cheating on Sofia with her. Maybe its better they didn't marry, as Oscar Wilde once said" a man who marries his mistress leaves a vacancy in that position". I don't see why she would expect him to change his ways having known he was cheating for much of his married life.
"If he cheats with you, he will cheat on you." Sage words.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:33 AM
Majesty

Did the King have love affairs with other Royal Ladies ?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Did the King have love affairs with other Royal Ladies ?
I think Corinna will be referring to Marta Gaya when saying that we already had a longterm relationship to another woman.
https://thecanadian.news/2020/08/15/...-city-to-live/
Old 08-21-2020, 07:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabaunty View Post
My sympathies are with HM Sofia , to change your religion , to marry the man you love , to commit yourself to a very uncertain future , only to find that your husband has no intention of committing himself solely to you must have been heartbreaking . However she had made the decision to marry JC , and never wavered . She has shown a total commitment to Spain , it's people , and her family , I admire her greatly . I do not think it shows her as old fashioned / not a feminist , only that she is a woman who recognised that she could accomplish a great deal of good for her adopted people/ country in her role as Queen .
" must be painful for his confessor" is the wrong idea of what confession is for both sides. anyway this is really! meant to remain between man and the Lord himself ! a priest appreciates any person who does confess his/her sins.

Sofia did not change her religion as the orthodox church and the roman catholic are "sisters".

I do not know what Sofia is like, maybe she is as cild as she looks in some photographs? this not to excuse JC's adultery, but as I wrote before there is always two in a broken marriage.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I can no longer believe it, because her youngest son was born in 2002 from her marriage to Prince Casimir zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn.
But we also don't know when Corinna met King Juan Carlos. The only thing we know is that she already knew Juan Carlos in 2004, because she organized Felipe and Letizia's honeymoon.
But I want to believe that Corinna's son is not the result of her betrayal with JC, it would be too bad.
No, Alexander is a Sayn, for sure. Though the family is used to it's struggling marriages of the children, they surely had not accepted if Casimir wasn't the father, though some maybe wished Casimir had never met Larsen

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs