King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Government they assume that Don Juan Carlos "wants to return", but they share with Zarzuela that the resolution of his judicial horizon is key to activate any reform

From the Treasury they assure that "they are working" and do not presuppose any results in the investigations, since they warn that in order to avoid the tax crime, the regularizations of Don Juan Carlos must be "complete and truthful." All the parties involved - Zarzuela, the Government and the legal team that defends the interests of Don Juan Carlos - are interested in not producing a false closure, that is, that after a statement is produced, new interested leaks provoke new investigations that perpetuate this matter. That is why "there is no stone left unturned," as sources familiar with the progress of these investigations confessed to this newspaper, who, of course, are counting on all the cooperation of the King's father's lawyers.

However, for them to be activated, we will have to wait, first, for the Office of the Supreme Prosecutor to issue its verdict on the irregularities of Don Juan Carlos with the Treasury. In Moncloa they assume that Don Juan Carlos "wants to return to Spain", but they understand that "the circumstances that led to his departure last year have not only not disappeared, but have worsened" and we must wait for this to be resolved. stage. In any case, the Executive's position is one of closed defense of the institution, even refusing to withdraw the title of honorary king, which the monarch received after abdicating, despite pressure from the opposition parties in this regard and their own government partners.
https://www.larazon.es/espana/20210620/bpmvjdegbvb2hozl6e7cti76sy.html

Weird story and sky news has no idea who they are talking about with their continued reference to 'Carlos' instead of 'Juan Carlos'.

Whatever they're looking at is probably labyrinthine and immense. Being under investigation is one more reason not to come back.

He has made the couple of "regularization" payments, though. Other than that, I'm not sure he's done too much to help himself this year.

His Place is in Spain. We know anything about his many health problems.

:previous: It sounds like other than loneliness King Emeritus Juan Carlos is living in luxury tucked away on an exclusive island villa off the coast of Abu Dhabi. I thought as a guest of the Emirates, they would foot the bill but one of these articles indicates the Spanish treasury is paying. It also appears like the wheels of justice are turning very slowly in sorting out Juan Carlos' financial irregularities.

They must let King Juan Carlos return to Spain. Being in Abu Dhabi, so far away from Spain and his family must be a huge punishment for him.
He should return to Spain, even if not to Zarzuela, but to a place where he could have some privacy and be safe. His being in the Emirates is not going to solve anything either.

King Juan Carlos is free to return to Spain, whenever he wants and wishes ... He is living in Abu Dhabi, of his own free will, he does not want to harm his son King Felipe.
At the moment, King Juan Carlos has not been charged in any trial, he is only being investigated.

The lawyer of King Juan Carlos issues a statement after the accusations of the Prosecutor's Office.
"In relation to the information published today in a media regarding His Majesty the King D. Juan Carlos, we find ourselves in the need to make the following clarifications:

1. Said information refers, apparently, to a Request for International Judicial Assistance in Criminal Matters, sent to the Swiss authorities almost 7 months ago, in February of this year 2021, by the Investigative Prosecutor of the Investigation Proceedings that are being followed in the Office of the Supreme Court.

2. Said Request for Legal Assistance is not public. Thus, except for the Authorities to whom it is addressed, it should only be made known to the Prosecutor's Office, whose actions are reserved, without it being known to us that they have been communicated to any party.

3. This communication to the Swiss Authorities contains serious statements and allegations of conduct that are carried out, in our opinion, without any support and are lacking the slightest justification, being contradicted by other facts of which nothing is said.

4. For this reason, such statements clearly violate the principle of presumption of innocence that protects every citizen, and assessments and considerations that seriously harm H.M. King Juan Carlos, who has been under investigation by the Prosecutor's Office for more than a year.

Javier Sánchez-Junco Mans "

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_espanola/20210903195491/rey-juan-carlos-comunicado/

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-juan...resuncion-inocencia-202109031323_noticia.html

Last edited:
The Prosecutor's Office explains that Switzerland must confirm the evidence against Juan Carlos I

The Prosecutor's Office of the Supreme Court has explained that the Swiss authorities must "confirm or rule out" the "indications of criminality" against the emeritus king Juan Carlos I that he appreciates in his investigative proceedings and that he has included in the rogatory commission addressed to the Swiss country.

The Public Ministry has issued a brief statement after the publication of information this Friday in the newspaper "El Mundo" that indicates that Juan Carlos I received "commissions and other benefits of a similar nature by virtue of his intermediation in international business deals." .

The Prosecutor's Office recalls that it has three investigation procedures open regarding the king emeritus: one for the collection of 65 million euros for alleged commissions of the works of the Medina-Mecca high-speed train (Saudi Arabia), another on whether he received donations not declared and a third regarding whether he hid funds in tax havens.

Simultaneously, the Treasury inspects the two tax regularizations completed by Juan Carlos.
https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/poli...s-indicios-contra-juan-carlos-i/10002-4621517

The lawyer of King Juan Carlos issues a statement after the accusations of the Prosecutor's Office.

"In relation to the information published today in a media regarding His Majesty the King D. Juan Carlos, we find ourselves in the need to make the following clarifications:

1. Said information refers, apparently, to a Request for International Judicial Assistance in Criminal Matters, sent to the Swiss authorities almost 7 months ago, in February of this year 2021, by the Investigative Prosecutor of the Investigation Proceedings that are being followed in the Office of the Supreme Court.

2. Said Request for Legal Assistance is not public. Thus, except for the Authorities to whom it is addressed, it should only be made known to the Prosecutor's Office, whose actions are reserved, without it being known to us that they have been communicated to any party.

3. This communication to the Swiss Authorities contains serious statements and allegations of conduct that are carried out, in our opinion, without any support and are lacking the slightest justification, being contradicted by other facts of which nothing is said.

4. For this reason, such statements clearly violate the principle of presumption of innocence that protects every citizen, and assessments and considerations that seriously harm H.M. King Juan Carlos, who has been under investigation by the Prosecutor's Office for more than a year.

Javier Sánchez-Junco Mans "

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_espanola/20210903195491/rey-juan-carlos-comunicado/

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-juan...resuncion-inocencia-202109031323_noticia.html

Is it common practice for the Prosecutor's Office to leak internal communications about investigations to the media? I am no legal expert, but I am inclined to agree with the objection put forward by the king emeritus's lawyer. For the subject of the investigation this would seem to violate the presumption of innocence.

Would anyone have the link to the leaks in El Mundo?

New claims that the source of Juan Carlos’s wealth isn’t oil - it’s weapons trafficking

https://www.publico.es/politica/exc...s-paises-arabes-colon-carvajal-khashoggi.html

A fascinating article. It seems to depend on the testimony of anonymous sources close to the persons involved. I wonder if any authorities are engaged in searching for firmer evidence.

Thank you for all the information you have shared on these investigations.

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos is not a beneficiary of the Zagatka Foundation, according to Liechtenstein

The Spanish Tax Agency has received a response from the Liechtenstein Tax Administration in which it details that the emeritus king is not a beneficiary of the Zagatka Foundation, which was established by Juan Carlos I's cousin, Álvaro de Orleans-Borbón, at that time. principality. As El Español has advanced and confirmed in legal sources by Europa Press, the extensive document that Liechtenstein has sent to the National Office for Fraud Investigation (ONIF) of the Tax Agency reveals that they are not aware that the emeritus, who resides in the United Arab Emirates United for more than a year, have nothing to do with that Foundation and have no power to give instructions. Other sources add to Europa Press that, after reviewing the submitted document, it is a response to a request for information from the ONIF that seeks to verify that the regularizations with the Emeritus Treasury are complete and truthful.
Sources familiar with the document sent by Liechtenstein indicate that the remarkable thing is that it is confirmed that the foundation of the emeritus' cousin paid for private flights to the former monarch of Spain, through travel agencies, but that there is no opacity or account that is not in the hands of the Tax Agency. Now, the Treasury must verify that Zagatka's payments coincide with what was regularized by Juan Carlos I.
https://www.elperiodico.com/es/poli...an-carlos-fundacion-zagatka-hacienda-12100482

Last edited:
The French magazine 'Paris Match' publishes excerpts from a book on King Emeritus Juan Carlos.

The book is authored by Laurence Debray and has the collaboration of King Juan Carlos himself.

New information about the life of King Juan Carlos in this book:
  • He doesn't know when he's going to return to Spain;
  • He wanted to go to Portugal but was told he was too close to Spain;
  • He doesn't talk about the illegal commissions he will have received;
  • Juan Carlos lives in a modern mansion on one of Abu Dhabi's man-made islands;
  • He receives visits from some friends, from Emir Khalifa ben Zayed Al-Nahyane, and members of his extended family;
  • According to the author of the book, the relationship between Felipe VI and Juan Carlos was broken. Felipe did not congratulate his father on his 83rd birthday;
  • Juan Carlos is assisted by a Filipino couple and four bodyguards.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20210930/7757306/juan-carlos-i-contentos-me-fuera.html

Last edited:
The French magazine 'Paris Match' publishes excerpts from a book on King Emeritus Juan Carlos.

The book is authored by Laurence Debray and has the collaboration of King Juan Carlos himself.

New information about the life of King Juan Carlos in this book:
  • He doesn't know when he's going to return to Spain;
  • He wanted to go to Portugal but was told he was too close to Spain;
  • He doesn't talk about the illegal commissions he will have received;
  • Juan Carlos lives in a modern mansion on one of Abu Dhabi's man-made islands;
  • He receives visits from some friends, from Emir Khalifa ben Zayed Al-Nahyane, and members of his extended family;
  • According to the author of the book, the relationship between Felipe VI and Juan Carlos was broken. Felipe did not congratulate his father on his 83rd birthday;
  • Juan Carlos is assisted by a Filipino couple and four bodyguards.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20210930/7757306/juan-carlos-i-contentos-me-fuera.html

- If he knew when he was going to return to Spain, it wouldn't be (an) exile.
- I thought that might be the issue with Portugal when it was rumored he was going there.
- The thing about Felipe isn't surprising and is perhaps inevitable. Still sad.

What a sad way to spend his final years. Estranged from his son and from the country he did so much for.

It would be interesting to know who advised the King that Portugal was too close. If it was his own counsillors that would be fine but if it would be the government or court it would lead to many questions.

What a sad way to spend his final years. Estranged from his son and from the country he did so much for.

I agree. He gave his life for Spain and the monarchy, but it appears his legacy will be tarnished forever.

I also find it very sad what is happening to King Juan Carlos. He is out of the country against his will, away from his family and home.
This whole Juan Carlos case was mismanaged.
I want to see what they will do if Juan Carlos dies in exile.

The Prosecutor's Office prepares the file of the three investigations opened to Juan Carlos I

It will justify his decision in the prescription of the facts, in the inviolability of the monarch before his abdication in June 2014 and in the presentation of two fiscal regulations.
https://www.larazon.es/espana/20211006/2ykmmxdxfvbm5b7shcv4x72mbi.html

King Juan Carlos wants to return to Spain before Christmas

It will not be a definitive return, nor will he settle again in the Zarzuela, but King Juan Carlos already plans to leave Abu Dhabi, where he has resided for fifteen months, and return to Spain to normalize his presence even if he establishes his residence outside the country. The announcement of the more than possible filing of the proceedings that the Supreme Court Prosecutor's Office is following for alleged economic irregularities allows to end the stay in the United Arab Emirates, where the King's father settled after his departure from Spain on August 3, 2020 .

Sources close to the former head of state confirm that, although he can do it as much as he wishes, it is not likely that he will return to Spain without the approval of the King. In the head of Juan Carlos de Borbón is the unappealable decision to cause the least problems for the Crown and he is aware that when his return occurs it will not be definitive or stable.

In any case, once justice issues its opinion, the intention is to regularize their situation and, above all, to regain, if possible, the trust of public opinion. The so-called emeritus, a name that has become popular but is not to his liking, has already decided to leave Abu Dhabi and establish his residence, as he wanted before leaving Zarzuela, near Spain, probably in Portugal where he already lived. albeit intermittently, before marrying Sofia of Greece in 1962.
https://www.lavanguardia.com/politi...juan-carlos-quiere-volver-espana-navidad.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, suppose he was in Portugal right now. Felipe and Letizia just made a visit there. If JC was there it would have overshadowed the entire visit.

It's probably not that nefarious for the court or even the government to chime in with regards to the former head of state going into exile and specify some conditions.

Last edited:
Portugal is a neighbor and main partner of Spain, having him there living off his rich friends and with pending cases with the Spanish, Swiss and British justice would have ended up being a problem for everyone.

Since he abdicated, he spent months outside of Spain, touring the mansions of his millionaire friends around the world. Juan Carlos decided to go to Abu Dhabi where his Arab friends provided him with a life of privilege ... and that decision only helped to show that his "economic vices" were still the same. Living most of the year in Abu Dhabi, he can continue to receive money and gifts without justifying them to the Spanish Treasury, while Spanish taxes continue to pay his security. It is quite hypocritical to say that he now misses Spain.

While Juan Carlos never invested his money in buying his own home in Spain or abroad where he could take shelter, Corinna has bought two mansions in Great Britain with his "gift".

Juan Carlos is the one who is destroying his own legacy, because he continues to live in his world, where a group of family and friends agree with him out of interest. At no time has he shown regret or acknowledged that at least morally he did not act as well as he should.

I suppose that considering the situation he is even more dependent on gifts of friends now. If he stayed in Spain or close by it would perhaps have been easier to control his actions. Now he is isolated from his own family, courtiers, etc. and as such will have to rely more on outsiders and perhaps will also be [even] more susceptible to curious proposals.

A sollution as was found in the Netherlands for prince Bernhard would have been more preferable -although that was less than ideal as well. But given the shaky foundations of the Spanish monarchy in large parts of the country & the ongoing investigations that was perhaps not possible. And society now is different than it was in the 70-ties, only today the former French president Sarkozy received a prison sentence.

At least the present King was now able to distance himself completely from his father's and brother-in-law's escapades. That is the only good thing to have come out of this.

Last edited:
Juan Carlos has always been quite uncontrollable, and it seems that over the years his vision of reality is less and less clear. During his years as king, he could have saved money (legally), and invested in buying some property in Spain or abroad that would have served in this case. The problem is that he always preferred to depend on the State or his friends, the former was not acceptable in this situation and the latter meant that he would continue with the bad habits for which he was being investigated. The four assistants / bodyguards he has are at the service of the Spanish State ... so he's under control.

On the other hand, the power of the Spanish state has a limit, and Corinna and the Swiss prosecutor have been putting Juan Carlos on the ropes. If he had been in a European country and Switzerland had claimed him, a very uncomfortable situation would have been created between Spain and that country. So I don't think that Juan Carlos' decision to go to Abu Dhabi was not intended.

The first thing I would like to say, I positively value the legacy of King Juan Carlos, however, I recognize that his last 10 years of reign have been little exemplary, I would say disastrous for his image.
Now I would like to comment on this last interview. I am very disappointed, in the interview he avoids talking about the corruption cases open in Spain (it is true that these cases are still in an initial judicial phase of investigation and there is no sentence, nor has King Juan Carlos been called to testify...) I am disappointed because his attitude speaking about his "Exile" like that others persons have expulsed to him of Spain , like this is the fault of other people who do not want to see him for Spain (for him his situation does not derive from corruption cases that seem not to exist in his mind) And second, he tries to blame the institution led by his son King Felipe, but at no time does he make a self-judgment and says that the alleged cases of corruption published in the press and that have been used against the monarchy are to blame for his situation....
I believe that King Juan Carlos should give explanations of everything that happened, assuming, if he must assume his responsibility, and if this is not the case, and it is not necessary to assume responsibilities, he should give interviews to speak about it , his version about it , but a interview, to reproaches his son ,NO.

Back
Top Bottom