The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2020, 04:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I get your point. My point was that she accepted his infidelities and carried on the best she could. That was a choice she made.
Given her background and position, she didn't have too many other options for dealing with pain and humiliation. Of course you can choose not to have sympathy for her but she realistically did the one thing she could do (and she has Felipe on her side from it, for better or for worse).

Old 08-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I get your point. My point was that she accepted his infidelities and carried on the best she could. That was a choice she made.
Yikes. What about the numerous affairs Juan Carlos has had? Juan Carlos and Sofia have been living separately for quite some time and their marriage has been described as "only existing on paper" and they only gather together for formal occasions. Let's not forget that divorce is still a taboo subject in Catholic churches, the religion the SRF are required to follow as official representatives of Spain.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree that for Sofía (in her mind) the honorable thing to do was to remain married to Juan Carlos as that was what her position required of her (as in, that was her responsibility - I am sure she would have been taken care of fine if she had not). Many royals in previous generations had the same kind of marriage and it's her generation in which the shift seems to have started. Some of her contemporaries had mostly happy and faithful marriages (Beatrix & Claus and Harald & Sonja come to mind); others also had at least times of infidelity or marriage crisis (Albert & Paola -including an out-of-wedlock child-, Margrethe & Henrik, Carl Gustaf & Silvia (at least that is rumored)). Neither one of these couples separated.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Commoner

Queen Sophia is a woman very appreciated and loved by the Spanish, and frankly she deserves that appreciation. I am Spanish, and I admire her a lot, she has created an impressive solidarity work. In polls, today she is still the highest valued member by the people.
Queen Sofia has something that even makes me admire her more, and that is the respect of the entire politician parties, including Republicans. This is due to the social work that she has led.
On a personal level, Queen Sofia has always been at the service of the duty of a state, with an agenda full of events, which has marked her life. Since her childhood she is the only thing she has known how to do. She has highly valued her position as Queen, and she feels very useful helping the most disadvantaged social groups or those who need support from society. For Sofia, what she does is very gratifying, and she is aware of the importance that has in it, her status as Queen.
For Sofia serving the Spanish people and representing us as Queen has been very gratifying. And we, the Spaniards, are very proud of her.

After leaving the throne King Juan carlos , she has ceded her position as Queen to the new Queen , Queen Letizia. I appreciate Queen Letizia, I even admire her more every day.
However, I don't want Queen Sofia to disappear from public life, I like to continue seeing her, and I want her to be here for a long time. And I think this is that we want many Spaniards, that she continues to be here, we do not want her to disappear from our lives.

In 2008, Queen Sofia, in an interview, indirectly acknowledged that her marriage was a failure, her marriage was not what she expected, but she and Juan Carlos are "travel companions"

They have maintained a mutual agreement,
We Spaniards have been very aware that the marriage of King Juan and Queen Sofia is a "state marriage", for us it has not been scandalous, on the contrary, we have seen it well.
A divorce would have been profitable for Queen Sofia, because King Juan Carlos would have had to pay her a pension, which is possible that this was even higher than what she receives as Queen, she would earn more with less effort.

However, for the Spanish monarchy, this divorce would have been more dangerous and much more damaging than the scandal of King Juan Carlos, it would have been in my opinion, worse for the monarchy
Old 08-09-2020, 07:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sofia had so many factors against her:

Being a Catholic queen. The whole idea that divorce is a sin as marriage is a holy sacrament.

Being a royal of a certain generation. It was expected until recently that royal men would have mistresses. And women would simply turn a blind eye to it. Its recent generations that this is no longer acceptable (and people like Harald and Sonja who married for love). The idea of divorcing her husband because he was unfaithful would not have been a concept she grew up in.

Her position. She has been dedicated to her role as queen for decades.

To leave JC for good would mean giving up her place as queen consort. And all of her work she has done in the position. While Sofia would have been financially well taken care of, she would have been expected to fade off into the background all together. She would not have been like Diana, continuing her work and her spotlight after she divorced.

Instead they are married in all but name. She continues the royal tradition, keeps to the sacrament of marriage, and is able to continue her role she has had since marriage. And the good work she has been able to do. While also maintaining a bond with her children and grandchildren.

Hopefully she is able to continue in the role she has had even through this. She has sacrificed a lot personally to stay with JC. She shouldn't be forced to disappear into the shadows with him due to his bad decisions.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Nobility

Can a spouse be forced to testify against their marital partner in Spain?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I do admire Sofia, its easily to say she should have left but this is not just a "personal" marriage but as Lipe says it is also a "state marriage". Sofia has stayed married to JC not to stay with him as a person IMO but to stay married to Spain and its people. Apart from in very recent times, pretty much since Felipe took over IMO, it would have caused scandal as JC's error of ways weren't widely known.

Given how apart they have been as a couple I highly doubt Sofia was privy to any details of the Saudi deal. Felipe seems very loyal to Sofia which suggests he knows she has been hard done to.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:37 AM
Gentry

With JC's amorous past I wonder when we will have a situation similar to that of King Albert of the Belgians and his love child. Any such candidates coming forward to claim a part of his inheritance would certainly add more spice to the mix.

Queen Sofia has been exemplary in her conduct. Having delivered an heir and spares she put duty above the personal in the knowledge that to do otherwise would create further instability to the transition.

She truly is one of the last examples of the great royal tradition of service and sacrifice and putting the nation first.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:25 AM
Majesty

The very last Queen of blue Blood after the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte and Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:36 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The very last Queen of blue Blood after the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte and Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands.
And Margarethe of Denmark and Anne-Marie of Greece!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:36 AM
Majesty

Yes , I forgot indeed but they are the very last ones.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:42 AM
Courtier

Daily mail claiming that Juan Carlos has been “banished” by his son Felipe.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.d...Felipe-VI.html

Honestly, can you blame Felipe?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Until there's anything confirmed by the Palace I'd take anything and especially in the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:50 AM
Courtier

Let’s see where it goes. Personally don’t trust what Zarzuela say either, given their track record, so who knows?
Old 08-10-2020, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course this was discussed between father and son and it doesn't seem unlikely that Felipe requested his father to leave and the letter by Juan Carlos was a result of that.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Daily mail claiming that Juan Carlos has been “banished” by his son Felipe.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.d...Felipe-VI.html

Honestly, can you blame Felipe?

If it turns out that Felipe was indeed the beneficiary of JC's overseas accounts or knew about them, that may backfire. It will look as if Felipe is ready to throw his father under the bus to save his own skin, which BTW is consistent with his previous behavior, for example when he deprived his sister of the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and effectively banished her even though she was not found guilty of any criminal charge in a court of law.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If it turns out that Felipe was indeed the beneficiary of JC's overseas accounts or knew about them, that may backfire. It will look as if Felipe is ready to throw his father under the bus to save his own skin, which BTW is consistent with his previous behavior, for example when he deprived his sister of the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and effectively banished her even though she was not found guilty of any criminal charge in a court of law.
To quote Queen Mary, "the Crown must always win!"

As I see it, in this case, Felipe comes before JC. The money is JC's, he has to deal with its ramifications.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:11 AM
Courtier

Really, I’m loving this

I’m still surprised that this was taken seriously by the Spanish media...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...ration-nz.html

How the fate of Juan Carlos was decided - El Pais

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...mpression=true
Old 08-13-2020, 09:25 AM
Gentry

Just seen a report from Pilar Eyre, Queen Sofia's biographer that JC is in Abu Dhabi and accompanied by his female companion of 40 years, Marta Gaya ...
Old 08-13-2020, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
Just seen a report from Pilar Eyre, Queen Sofia's biographer that JC is in Abu Dhabi and accompanied by his female companion of 40 years, Marta Gaya ...
I take it she never remarried.

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs