The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2020, 04:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
I stated in an earlier post that spending this "parenthesis" in a gulf state would be a highly likely option for JC.

As the guest of a fabulously wealthy gulf royal family JC would be treated as an honoured guest and former head of state, have his expenses met allowing him to live in the style he is accustomed to, be protected far from the eyes of prying press or paparazzi, and potentially be afforded diplomatic status to circumvent any calls for extradition that may arise.

I do believe he will return to Spain but this will be at the end, if and when his health breaks and he is allowed home to end his days.

At the moment I believe the hope is "out of sight, out of mind". The saga is already falling off the front pages of the Spanish press.
"Out of sight out of mind" might be for the best at least for the time being. Where's Waldo, where's Juan Carlos. I guess we will see how long it takes to drop off the front pages. There is so much global headlining news everyday, in the priority of importance I suppose JC may be able to take a back seat for now.

Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 AM
Gentry

King Juan Carlos of spain flees to UAE

King Juan Carlos of spain flees to UAE

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-scandal.html

Old 08-07-2020, 05:33 AM
Majesty

He seems to be all over the place. Did he initially go to Portugal? how come rumours sprang up about the Domin Republic?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:45 AM
Gentry

He has been all over the place sense he left the throne a few years ago. But this exile comes as a prosecution against him is presented in Spain is revealed.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanDi View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8603347/Juan-Carlos-hiding-luxury-Abu-Dhabi-hotel-fleeing-amid-corruption-scandal.html

That is bad if it is true.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 AM
Gentry

This hotel is owned by the Abu Dhabi Royal Family and operated by Mandarin Oriental. Perfect choice.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipe View Post
The Spanish monarchy is guaranteed, currently, because the Constitution has an aggravated process, if a referendum is held, the Spanish people would vote in favor of the monarchy, because today in Spain the reform of the constitution is identified with the Catalan and Basque independence movement, and With ideologies of the left and anarchists. These political formations, in direct vote they do not even represent 20% .. These parties have a political weight in parliament due to the system of distribution of seats, the D'Hondt system. However, in a referendum the direct voting system is applied, not the D´Hondt. If the constitutional would be reformed and it would not be represented with these political formations, the monarchy could be in danger, but it is not case.
We Spaniards think that if the constitution would be reformed , it would be to give the pro-prerogatives and privileges to the independence movement, that's why we would not vote in favor of Republic

Leaving aside the issue of federalism vs a unitary state, I think the Spanish constitution of 1978 is currently the best monarchical constitution in Europe. It limits the powers of the King and separates him from the government better than the Belgian, Danish, Dutch or Norwegian constitutions do while, at the same time, keeping the King relevant unlike in Sweden for example. The case for replacing it with a republican constitution would have to be very strong to make it worth.

But, again, going back to my previous point, much of the opposition to the monarchy in Spain, especially in Catalonia, the Basque Country or even Galicia, is not so much a dislike for monarchy or the King per se, but rather stems from the fact that the monarchy is associated with the unitary Spanish (or rather "Castilian") state and, sometimes, even with the Franco regime although the latter is an unfair association IMHO, especially after the transition from JC's to Felipe's reign.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Majesty

Not so amazing at all. It seems her husband's peccadilloes were an open secret and Queen Sofia lived with the humiliation throughout her marriage. That his sins are fin6d him out and Javier g a dictated the throne he is now abdicating his responsibilities and doing a runner.

Queen Sofia has the respect of the people of Spain and for all intents and purposes they have been living separate lives a Zarzuella. Sophia seems a devout Catholic and I can only believe she has not divorced him was her faith. Well that and her obligation to her family and adopted country.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Nobility

Silly, and yet presciently accurate.
https://youtu.be/max7HNTn_IY
https://youtu.be/3br0tDqW3r8

At any rate, it was all I could think of on hearing the latest destination.

It's confirmed; JC has descended to cartoonishness.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I also think that King Juan Carlos will still return to Spain, when his health gets worse, to end his days in the country where he was King.
For now JC will stay in the country where he hid and will hardly be seen in public.
I wonder if King Felipe VI, his grandchildren and children Elenas and Cristina will be able to visit him. That is, daughters and grandchildren can easily visit him in secret, but Felipe can hardly do so.

ABC's articles on Juan Carlos' trip to Abu Dhabi:
https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/...0_noticia.html

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/...4_noticia.html
Old 08-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Nobility

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20...-leaves-spain/

Apparently people in Spain have already had enough and are taking his name off things (as of a few days ago)?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I also think that King Juan Carlos will still return to Spain, when his health gets worse, to end his days in the country where he was King.
For now JC will stay in the country where he hid and will hardly be seen in public.
I wonder if King Felipe VI, his grandchildren and children Elenas and Cristina will be able to visit him. That is, daughters and grandchildren can easily visit him in secret, but Felipe can hardly do so.

ABC's articles on Juan Carlos' trip to Abu Dhabi:

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/...4_noticia.html
Mabye, i suspect it will depend on the people.. He woudl have been beter to stay in Portugal...
Old 08-07-2020, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Mabye, i suspect it will depend on the people.. He woudl have been beter to stay in Portugal...
Yes I think staying in Portugal would be better, could receive visits from family and friends, at least more regularly.
But in Portugal he would have less privacy.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Portugal was too close to Spain, too close to being required to attend a judicial hearing in Spain, too visible in many ways.

With regards to family visits I think there is such a degree of estrangement that the only likely visitors would be Elena and family, and perhaps Cristina. If he is in Abu Dhabi and these were normal times I wouldn't be surprised if they were seen at the November Grand Prix together.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20...-leaves-spain/

Apparently people in Spain have already had enough and are taking his name off things (as of a few days ago)?
I wondered when that would start ,hopefully common sense will prevail.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I wondered when that would start ,hopefully common sense will prevail.
If something was named to honor the guy, and he's now bringing dishonor to himself, his family, https://youtu.be/Uc66XN8VdvI and especially to Spain, it would be commonsensical that people don't want reminders of him anymore.

He should have stopped at "champion of democracy" on his way to the UAE.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

Articles from El Pais

Very interesting articles by "El Pais"
https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...s-planned.html
https://elpais.com/espana/2020-08-04...de-espana.html

El Pais confirms that negotiations on a path forward for Juan Carlos had been going on for several weeks; then the 2 kings met and made a decision. One observer says "there were no good solutions, just the least bad one".

Another interesting tidbit came up- if I may quote the newspaper:
"Another option under consideration was to settle his tax dues, even beyond the five years set by the law as the statute of limitations on tax crimes. Sources consulted by this newspaper said that the problem was that this would force Juan Carlos I to pay over €60 million, if a multi-million donation by the late Saudi king Abdullah was included in his taxable income. And that was beyond the former king’s current ability to pay. Not to mention the fact that even then, there was no guarantee that Corinna Larsen might not accuse him of concealing real estate property under the name of third parties, as she has suggested in the past."

This tax estimate of E60 Millions seems a lot but I guess this would be back taxes plus penalties. I don't know the tax system in Spain but a tax settlement may have opened him (and the whole family) to a full audit, which could uncover even more skeletons...

[Sorry if anyone has already mentioned this article, but I don't think so]
Old 08-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by altagrace View Post
This tax estimate of E60 Millions seems a lot but I guess this would be back taxes plus penalties. I don't know the tax system in Spain but a tax settlement may have opened him (and the whole family) to a full audit, which could uncover even more skeletons...
The fear is that any audit of the royal finances might confirm the allegation that JC has been keeping property outside of Spain under third party accounts, as well as the true extent of the family’s wealth.

There have also been longer standing allegations that Juan Carlos and the SRF were the beneficiaries of under the table deals from the Franco era regarding the import of oil to Spain, namely that JC got a cut of the excise paid on imported oil to Spain (acc to reports this arrangement was only discontinued under Anzar) , among other sweetheart deals that Franco made with JC to reward him and keep him loyal prior to him becoming king.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Nobility

The UAE would be uncomfortably hot at this time of year.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
The UAE would be uncomfortably hot at this time of year.
I’m sure the luxury hotel he is staying in has a good air con system

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs