King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Until there's anything confirmed by the Palace I'd take anything and especially in the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt.

Let’s see where it goes. Personally don’t trust what Zarzuela say either, given their track record, so who knows?

Last edited:
Of course this was discussed between father and son and it doesn't seem unlikely that Felipe requested his father to leave and the letter by Juan Carlos was a result of that.

Daily mail claiming that Juan Carlos has been “banished” by his son Felipe.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www....s-82-banished-country-son-King-Felipe-VI.html

Honestly, can you blame Felipe?

If it turns out that Felipe was indeed the beneficiary of JC's overseas accounts or knew about them, that may backfire. It will look as if Felipe is ready to throw his father under the bus to save his own skin, which BTW is consistent with his previous behavior, for example when he deprived his sister of the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and effectively banished her even though she was not found guilty of any criminal charge in a court of law.

If it turns out that Felipe was indeed the beneficiary of JC's overseas accounts or knew about them, that may backfire. It will look as if Felipe is ready to throw his father under the bus to save his own skin, which BTW is consistent with his previous behavior, for example when he deprived his sister of the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and effectively banished her even though she was not found guilty of any criminal charge in a court of law.

To quote Queen Mary, "the Crown must always win!"

As I see it, in this case, Felipe comes before JC. The money is JC's, he has to deal with its ramifications.

Just seen a report from Pilar Eyre, Queen Sofia's biographer that JC is in Abu Dhabi and accompanied by his female companion of 40 years, Marta Gaya ...

Just seen a report from Pilar Eyre, Queen Sofia's biographer that JC is in Abu Dhabi and accompanied by his female companion of 40 years, Marta Gaya ...

I take it she never remarried.

Marta Gaya was married but had no children. She is from a wealthy family.
It seems that Marta Gaya and King Juan Carlos may have been lovers for about 40 years.

Note that the name of Marta Gaya is not mentioned in Pilar Eyere's article.

https://www.lecturas.com/blogs/pila...ha-sido-su-fiel-amiga-durante-40-anos_88044/7

On this Wikipedia page there is more information about Marta Gaya:
https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marta_Gayà

I also think that soon he will not return to Spain.
I'm not surprised he took his mistress with him into exile, because he must want someone to keep him company.
All this is very sad, but this story of the mistress will not be a shock to the Spaniards, because everyone knows that the marriage of JC and Queen Sofia no longer exists and the stories of the lovers have long been known.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ain't no shame in his game!

That's quite brazen for Juan Carlos to have his long-time lover be with him and be photographed so soon into his excile.

It's bad enough people are still reeling from his excile but to add this new brash dimension by showing his lover is just brash and a complete slap in the face.

He clearly wants to have his cake and eat it too!!!

It just makes me feel more and more sorry for Sofia to be honest. Putting up with all this, no wonder she possibly has a tendency to be grand and the mother figure, its all she has left really.

Either he is quite shameless, or he is not coming back to Spain for a very, very long time. I think we can all appreciate needing a friend when you've left home, and perhaps it's to Ms. Gaya's credit that she's willing to go and be with him, but like the rest of this sordid saga, it just looks terrible.

I also think that soon he will not return to Spain.
I'm not surprised he took his mistress with him into exile, because he must want someone to keep him company.
All this is very sad, but this story of the mistress will not be a shock to the Spaniards, because everyone knows that the marriage of JC and Queen Sofia no longer exists and the stories of the lovers have long been known.

It may not be a shock to the Spanish people, but it really makes JC look like he gives none, in the English expression. He appears anything but penitent or sorry for re-exiling himself.

(Also, people in Spain may or may not care about the lady friend, but he's not helping his global perception.)

It may not be a shock to the Spanish people, but it really makes JC look like he gives none, in the English expression. He appears anything but penitent or sorry for re-exiling himself.

(Also, people in Spain may or may not care about the lady friend, but he's not helping his global perception.)

Of course, this doesn't help his image at all.
Fortunately Felipe is much more responsible than his father, and maintains an already long marriage with Letizia, and it seems that everything is fine between them.

Of course, this doesn't help his image at all.
Fortunately Felipe is much more responsible than his father, and maintains an already long marriage with Letizia, and it seems that everything is fine between them.

We can hope.

I think the problem is, this exile has now turned into "any other holiday with any other girlfriend". :ermm: Which reinforces my doubts he'll be back any time soon.

You're doing a heckuva job keeping yourself out of Spain, JC. :whistling:

Aha. :ohmy:

Well, why not? He might just as well go all out now. No pretense anymore.
I don't see him returning to Spain now anyway.

May he and Queen Sofia find happiness in their remaining years - apart.

He sure ain't making things easier for his son!

The Bourbon genes definitely manifested themselves in JC. I guess his thinking is - I'm 82 years old, can't have that long left, I'm going to keep living it up while I can!

This new bombshell of information adds further insult to injury, if true. If, at the completion of investigation the Spanish courts require him to return to Spain for trial, Juan Carlos could stay in Abu Dhabi under the protection of the ruling family. I feel for Felipe and his family as they go out and about during their summer in Majorca, carrying on as the dirt continues to pile up onto Juan Carlos.

According to Blog Real's Wikipedia JC seems to have given Marta Gaya a good bit of money over the years... No wonder she's so amenable to Abu Dhabi.

And yes, Alfonso XIII would surely recognize his grandson.

This new bombshell of information adds further insult to injury, if true. If, at the completion of investigation the Spanish courts require him to return to Spain for trial, Juan Carlos could stay in Abu Dhabi under the protection of the ruling family. I feel for Felipe and his family as they go out and about during their summer in Majorca, carrying on as the dirt continues to pile up onto Juan Carlos.

I think Abu Dhabi has an extradition treaty with Spain. Signed by JC. I could be mistaken, however.

I think Abu Dhabi has an extradition treaty with Spain. Signed by JC. I could be mistaken, however.

I'm sure he will be granted diplomatic immunity. JC feels he has been betrayed by his country and his son. I'm sure his Middle Eastern hosts will not betray him. As an octogenarian there will also always be the possibility to allege poor health.

At most he may answer a few questions via video link but I doubt he will ever be put in the position of a judicial hearing. Due to the political climate this would amount to putting the monarchy and the entire transition on trial and is certainly something everybody will be looking to avoid.

On another note there was an interesting interview in Spanish Vanity Fair with Selina Scott, the British journalist that spent time with JC and family back in the 1980's. Many of her recollections are strangely prescient now.

Last edited:
On another note there was an interesting interview in Spanish Vanity Fair with Selina Scott, the British journalist that spent time with JC and family back in the 1980's. Many of her recollections are strangely prescient now.

Like what?

I wonder if she's the same one who seemed like she was flirting with Constantine in the 90's (or vice-versa).

I'm sure he will be granted diplomatic immunity. JC feels he has been betrayed by his country and his son. I'm sure his Middle Eastern hosts will not betray him. As an octogenarian there will also always be the possibility to allege poor health.

At most he may answer a few questions via video link but I doubt he will ever be put in the position of a judicial hearing. Due to the political climate this would amount to putting the monarchy and the entire transition on trial and is certainly something everybody will be looking to avoid.

I have the same opinion. King Juan Carlos is unlikely to return to Spain to go to court. He is still not under investigation and has not been charged with anything. The lawsuit is likely to be closed. King Juan Carlos is 82 years old and in poor health, in addition to being far from Spain, so it will be easy for him to find an excuse for not having to return to Spain to testify in court.

Thanks Darius1, I'll look for the article, do you recall which month of Spanish Vanity Fair. I take Vanity Fair US, they usually have great articles. I think you're probably right about Juan Carlos being safe in Abu Dhabi despite there being any extradition agreements.

Like what?

I wonder if she's the same one who seemed like she was flirting with Constantine in the 90's (or vice-versa).

Selina scott writing for the telegraph about the doco she filmed about JC in the 1990s

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/king-two-weeks-juan-carlos-spains-exiled-caballero/

A link to the doco in Spanish with English subtitles so you can judge for yourself

Selina scott used to get it in the neck back in the day for the way she Interviewed her male subjects - think people were rather unfair to her in all honesty...

Op ed from the NYT about all this. David Jimenez on Juan Carlos’s effective career as a lobbyist for the Arab Monarchies and dictatorships.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/opinion/king-juan-carlos-exile.amp.html

I remember that Selina Scott documentary on King Juan Carlos it was on Sky News back in the 90's.

Thanks Darius1, I'll look for the article, do you recall which month of Spanish Vanity Fair. I take Vanity Fair US, they usually have great articles. I think you're probably right about Juan Carlos being safe in Abu Dhabi despite there being any extradition agreements.

Here's the link. It quotes from an article Scott wrote for The Telegraph.

https://www.revistavanityfair.es/re...ta-britanica-entrevista-rey-juan-carlos/46240

I think that the Selina Scott documentary was masterful PR by JC at the time. He came across as warm, open, companionable, as Scott says, the epitome of a modern leader.

Last edited:
I think the Scott´s analysis is true, in Spain there has been a lot of corruption and with the entry of the euro, and the subsidies granted by the European Union, the corruption multiplied. In the business sphere, this has been almost a habit, however this corruption also exists in other countries such as the United States, for example, France.Ok, he was a great leader...

I think that in this whole King Juan Carlos business, we are forgetting one person, and that person is Corinna. She is an essential element of this plot, and yet she seems like the good guy in the movie.

Corinna was a businesswoman, with investment funds, an entrepreneur with businesses in tax havens, with corporate structures created all over the world.

These commissions that are attributed to the king, and that it has not yet been proven what it consist , it correspond to a business structure created by Corinna.

It is clear to me that the brain of this plot is Corinna. I know that these do not exclude King Juan Carlos, it is obvious, that he is the means, that she needs to carry out those businesses.

I would like you to understand this. This is not a case of corruption, where you sell a house, and you demand that the buyer give you a part in dark money, which is not detected by the public treasury.
This is a case with a much higher structure, much more complicated.
My conclusion: I believe that King Juan Carlos would not have done these businesses, if in his life, had not appeared Corinna.
Regarding the Juan carlos, he has had a character, "bonachon", which is said in Spain. Friendly, fun, close to the public... He hasn't been a serious, antipathic person with people, formal, he's always broken protocol. And that's really niced for people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom