The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Why would he do such things that were so... silly??

He was deeply respected. He saved Spain as a democracy. He could have left a legacy other monarchs would envy. He could have been a monarch, future Spanish monarchs could admire and be inspired by.

What happened?!?

Old 08-04-2020, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its been a downward spiral since the ill advised and disgusting elephant hunting trip to Botswana for King Juan Carlos in April 2012.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:39 PM
Courtier

Is it relevant that the Dominican Republic has no extradition treaty with Spain? So much for “willing to cooperate with the authorities”. It’s not exile, Juan Carlos is for all practical purposes, a fugitive.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Well, I'm glad Queen Sofia will remain in Spain with serenity and dignity. I also see no reason at all for there to be a palace swap. It makes no sense for any changes to be made in terms of the Royal Family's current residences just because King Juan Carlos has decided go into exile - that's up to him and the less anything is affected by his decision the better.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

He was deeply respected. He saved Spain as a democracy. He could have left a legacy other monarchs would envy. He could have been a monarch, future Spanish monarchs could admire and be inspired by.

What happened?!?
I’ve long suspected that what sounds like a pretty miserable childhood and some large chips on his shoulders About wealth, status and a perceived lack of personal freedom are what has been behind most of his bad choices over the years. Combine this with the unreality of the world he lived in - all that media praise and fawning isn’t healthy - and Franco’s influence on him has probably also been a factor in all this too.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
I’ve long suspected that what sounds like a pretty miserable childhood and some large chips on his shoulders About wealth, status and a perceived lack of personal freedom are what has been behind most of his bad choices over the years. Combine this with the unreality of the world he lived in - all that media praise and fawning isn’t healthy - and Franco’s influence on him has probably also been a factor in all this too.
I almost understand why he did it. Having been a recently restored Monarch with no significant money of his own would be galling. What if everything went south? He wanted to secure his family’s future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
There have been many occasions in the past that clearly show that Felipe will never take anything away from his mother. Mother is always there, despite being Emerita often taking center stage as Queen smiling with her boy, with the Queen Consort the third wheel. Easter 2018 Letizia lost her usual nerves of steel and had to pay for it.
Anyway, the public loves Sofia so no reason to change anything about her situation.
I just don’t understand the Sofia and Felipe relationship dynamics. He can’t be that much of a mama’s boy— after all he married Letizia. There’s no way the haughty Sofia approved of that match, but now he’s all about mommy.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I just don’t understand the Sofia and Felipe relationship dynamics. He can’t be that much of a mama’s boy— after all he married Letizia. There’s no way the haughty Sofia approved of that match, but now he’s all about mommy.

I don't think Sofia "approved the match", but, according to reports, she was ultimately more supportive of it than Juan Carlos who allegedly cannot stand Letizia.

Letizia was really a big shake-up for the family. All Kings of Spain before Felipe VI had been married to foreign princesses.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

What happened?!?
Well he was born in exile, grew up in relatively insecure circumstances (for royalty), probably never sure Franco meant to restore the throne, and he also watched his in-laws being deposed. Eventually he did access the throne, became a popular and respected king but these insecurities may have stayed with him. I suspect from this insecurity he developed the need/want to sock away money to prepare for any possibility in the future (exile etc.)
Then you add private circumstances in his marriage, the mistresses, bad advice, add some arrogance, excess confidence to the mix and you get a recipe for the implosion we see now. It is sad indeed.
My 2-cent worth.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I almost understand why he did it. Having been a recently restored Monarch with no significant money of his own would be galling. What if everything went south? He wanted to secure his family’s future.
Almost understandable, but thirty-plus years on a throne beloved is a little late to be feeling insecure.

With classical irony, he may have sent everything south with his own actions. Rather than securing his family's future, he's just left a hell of a lot for Felipe to endure.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

After all, King Juan Carlos may not be in the Dominican Republic.
Juan Carlos I faces his formal banishment settled in Portugal. According to sources close to the royal family, the King Emeritus, after communicating by letter to his son, King Felipe VI, the decision to leave Spain, undertook a drive to the Portuguese town of Azeitao, where he has been welcomed by the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo family, with whom he has maintained a fraternal relationship since his family remained in exile in Estoril.
The complex where Juan Carlos I has been installed is the estate of the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo known as Casa Grande Quinta do Peru, located in Azeitao, within the municipality of Quinta do Conde, near Setubal and next to the Arrábida Natural Park. Until future plans, this will be your residence, after discarding other farther destinations such as the Dominican Republic or New Zealand.

The Dominican Republic's Directorate of Migration denied on Tuesday that Spain's King Emeritus Juan Carlos had entered the country, contrary to allegations in the Spanish press.

The Royal House - which has not denied that Juan Carlos I is in Portugal - is awaiting the approval of the Emeritus to report where he is.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/espan...santo_2704960/

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/...4_noticia.html

https://sicnoticias.pt/mundo/2020-08...a-Juan-Carlos-
Old 08-04-2020, 08:25 PM
Nobility

"Tell me, where in the world is Carmen Juan Carlos?"
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The complex where Juan Carlos I has been installed is the estate of the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo known as Casa Grande Quinta do Peru, located in Azeitao, within the municipality of Quinta do Conde, near Setubal and next to the Arrábida Natural Park. Until future plans, this will be your residence, after discarding other farther destinations such as the Dominican Republic or New Zealand.
Eek! I certainly hope not! We already have enough rich creeps here, we don’t need more.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
After all, King Juan Carlos may not be in the Dominican Republic.
Juan Carlos I faces his formal banishment settled in Portugal. According to sources close to the royal family, the King Emeritus, after communicating by letter to his son, King Felipe VI, the decision to leave Spain, undertook a drive to the Portuguese town of Azeitao, where he has been welcomed by the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo family, with whom he has maintained a fraternal relationship since his family remained in exile in Estoril.

The Dominican Republic's Directorate of Migration denied on Tuesday that Spain's King Emeritus Juan Carlos had entered the country, contrary to allegations in the Spanish press.

The Royal House - which has not denied that Juan Carlos I is in Portugal - is awaiting the approval of the Emeritus to report where he is.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/espan...santo_2704960/

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/...4_noticia.html

https://sicnoticias.pt/mundo/2020-08...a-Juan-Carlos-
Zou dit het 'Casa Grande' zijn?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
He feels responsible for her because daddy “abandoned” her - happens all the time with sons of divorced parents esp those who get disillusioned with their fathers. As for S’s hauteur - have long suspected that’s also insecurity as well, the real reason has nothing to do with social status but with wanting to remain the main woman in her sons life - again really common with women who see themselves as single mothers, they can become very emotionally dependent on their sons (pss Diana and ps William are the main examples I can think of) and don’t react well to other women “taking them away” esp if that’s how the father left the picture.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Nobility

Perhaps nobody else will go anywhere, but Zarzuela is a palace. Surely there ought to be enough room(s) for Letizia and Sofia not to have to come into contact with each other any more than strictly necessary?

If it's JC who's the one who really couldn't stand Letizia, she can't be heartbroken by the fact he's gone. And will perhaps be amenable to changes.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Perhaps nobody else will go anywhere, but Zarzuela is a palace. Surely there ought to be enough room(s) for Letizia and Sofia not to have to come into contact with each other any more than strictly necessary?

It is a relatively small palace. The bigger Palace of El Pardo is now used only to house visiting heads of state and the Royal Palace of Madrid, which is actually one of the largest in Europe in number of rooms, is now used only for state functions like state dinners for example. Both were royal residences in the past.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Royal Palace of El Pardo which is very close to Zarzuela was last used as a residence by General Franco.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am more inclined to believe the Portugal story than the Domincan Republic one.

I think in his frail old age it is best to keep the king close-in Europe in the event of his health taking a turn for the worse.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I am more inclined to believe the Portugal story than the Domincan Republic one.

I think in his frail old age it is best to keep the king close-in Europe in the event of his health taking a turn for the worse.
He has said that the exile is only until all this blows over - he may not live that long....

A lot of opinion on this is pretty negative - twitter has predictably accused him of going on the lam and a lot of people in Spain think that this is a mistake. He’d be better off facing the music rather than trying to wait it out as all this is pretty damming taken together.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

The Supreme Court refuses to adopt precautionary measures against King Juan Carlos because it has not been investigated.

The Vacations Room of the Supreme Court has rejected the adoption of precautionary measures requested by the entity Cultural Omnium against King Juan Carlos in a letter demanding its location and urgent summons.

In an order issued this Wednesday, the Chamber recalls that the Spanish procedural system "does not contemplate the adoption of precautionary measures with respect to those who do not have the status of being investigated", as is the case of King Juan Carlos.

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-supre...4_noticia.html

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs