King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stated in an earlier post that spending this "parenthesis" in a gulf state would be a highly likely option for JC.

As the guest of a fabulously wealthy gulf royal family JC would be treated as an honoured guest and former head of state, have his expenses met allowing him to live in the style he is accustomed to, be protected far from the eyes of prying press or paparazzi, and potentially be afforded diplomatic status to circumvent any calls for extradition that may arise.

I do believe he will return to Spain but this will be at the end, if and when his health breaks and he is allowed home to end his days.

At the moment I believe the hope is "out of sight, out of mind". The saga is already falling off the front pages of the Spanish press.

"Out of sight out of mind" might be for the best at least for the time being. Where's Waldo, where's Juan Carlos. I guess we will see how long it takes to drop off the front pages. There is so much global headlining news everyday, in the priority of importance I suppose JC may be able to take a back seat for now.

He seems to be all over the place. Did he initially go to Portugal? how come rumours sprang up about the Domin Republic?

He has been all over the place sense he left the throne a few years ago. But this exile comes as a prosecution against him is presented in Spain is revealed.

This hotel is owned by the Abu Dhabi Royal Family and operated by Mandarin Oriental. Perfect choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spanish monarchy is guaranteed, currently, because the Constitution has an aggravated process, if a referendum is held, the Spanish people would vote in favor of the monarchy, because today in Spain the reform of the constitution is identified with the Catalan and Basque independence movement, and With ideologies of the left and anarchists. These political formations, in direct vote they do not even represent 20% .. These parties have a political weight in parliament due to the system of distribution of seats, the D'Hondt system. However, in a referendum the direct voting system is applied, not the D´Hondt. If the constitutional would be reformed and it would not be represented with these political formations, the monarchy could be in danger, but it is not case.
We Spaniards think that if the constitution would be reformed , it would be to give the pro-prerogatives and privileges to the independence movement, that's why we would not vote in favor of Republic

Leaving aside the issue of federalism vs a unitary state, I think the Spanish constitution of 1978 is currently the best monarchical constitution in Europe. It limits the powers of the King and separates him from the government better than the Belgian, Danish, Dutch or Norwegian constitutions do while, at the same time, keeping the King relevant unlike in Sweden for example. The case for replacing it with a republican constitution would have to be very strong to make it worth.

But, again, going back to my previous point, much of the opposition to the monarchy in Spain, especially in Catalonia, the Basque Country or even Galicia, is not so much a dislike for monarchy or the King per se, but rather stems from the fact that the monarchy is associated with the unitary Spanish (or rather "Castilian") state and, sometimes, even with the Franco regime although the latter is an unfair association IMHO, especially after the transition from JC's to Felipe's reign.

Not so amazing at all. It seems her husband's peccadilloes were an open secret and Queen Sofia lived with the humiliation throughout her marriage. That his sins are fin6d him out and Javier g a dictated the throne he is now abdicating his responsibilities and doing a runner.

Queen Sofia has the respect of the people of Spain and for all intents and purposes they have been living separate lives a Zarzuella. Sophia seems a devout Catholic and I can only believe she has not divorced him was her faith. Well that and her obligation to her family and adopted country.

Silly, and yet presciently accurate.

At any rate, it was all I could think of on hearing the latest destination.

It's confirmed; JC has descended to cartoonishness.

I also think that King Juan Carlos will still return to Spain, when his health gets worse, to end his days in the country where he was King.
For now JC will stay in the country where he hid and will hardly be seen in public.
I wonder if King Felipe VI, his grandchildren and children Elenas and Cristina will be able to visit him. That is, daughters and grandchildren can easily visit him in secret, but Felipe can hardly do so.

ABC's articles on Juan Carlos' trip to Abu Dhabi:
https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...los-lunes-vigo-dabi-202008070630_noticia.html

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...illas-golfo-persico-202008070630_noticia.html

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...destino-juan-carlos-202008071414_noticia.html

Last edited:
I also think that King Juan Carlos will still return to Spain, when his health gets worse, to end his days in the country where he was King.
For now JC will stay in the country where he hid and will hardly be seen in public.
I wonder if King Felipe VI, his grandchildren and children Elenas and Cristina will be able to visit him. That is, daughters and grandchildren can easily visit him in secret, but Felipe can hardly do so.

ABC's articles on Juan Carlos' trip to Abu Dhabi:
https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...los-lunes-vigo-dabi-202008070630_noticia.html

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...illas-golfo-persico-202008070630_noticia.html

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...destino-juan-carlos-202008071414_noticia.html

Mabye, i suspect it will depend on the people.. He woudl have been beter to stay in Portugal...

Mabye, i suspect it will depend on the people.. He woudl have been beter to stay in Portugal...

Yes I think staying in Portugal would be better, could receive visits from family and friends, at least more regularly.
But in Portugal he would have less privacy.

Portugal was too close to Spain, too close to being required to attend a judicial hearing in Spain, too visible in many ways.

With regards to family visits I think there is such a degree of estrangement that the only likely visitors would be Elena and family, and perhaps Cristina. If he is in Abu Dhabi and these were normal times I wouldn't be surprised if they were seen at the November Grand Prix together.

I wondered when that would start ,hopefully common sense will prevail.

If something was named to honor the guy, and he's now bringing dishonor to himself, his family,
and especially to Spain, it would be commonsensical that people don't want reminders of him anymore.

He should have stopped at "champion of democracy" on his way to the UAE.

Last edited:
Articles from El Pais

Very interesting articles by "El Pais"
https://english.elpais.com/spanish_...arture-of-spains-former-king-was-planned.html
https://elpais.com/espana/2020-08-0...ro-con-juan-carlos-i-su-salida-de-espana.html

El Pais confirms that negotiations on a path forward for Juan Carlos had been going on for several weeks; then the 2 kings met and made a decision. One observer says "there were no good solutions, just the least bad one".

Another interesting tidbit came up- if I may quote the newspaper:
"Another option under consideration was to settle his tax dues, even beyond the five years set by the law as the statute of limitations on tax crimes. Sources consulted by this newspaper said that the problem was that this would force Juan Carlos I to pay over €60 million, if a multi-million donation by the late Saudi king Abdullah was included in his taxable income. And that was beyond the former king’s current ability to pay. Not to mention the fact that even then, there was no guarantee that Corinna Larsen might not accuse him of concealing real estate property under the name of third parties, as she has suggested in the past."

This tax estimate of E60 Millions seems a lot but I guess this would be back taxes plus penalties. I don't know the tax system in Spain but a tax settlement may have opened him (and the whole family) to a full audit, which could uncover even more skeletons...

[Sorry if anyone has already mentioned this article, but I don't think so]

This tax estimate of E60 Millions seems a lot but I guess this would be back taxes plus penalties. I don't know the tax system in Spain but a tax settlement may have opened him (and the whole family) to a full audit, which could uncover even more skeletons...

The fear is that any audit of the royal finances might confirm the allegation that JC has been keeping property outside of Spain under third party accounts, as well as the true extent of the family’s wealth.

There have also been longer standing allegations that Juan Carlos and the SRF were the beneficiaries of under the table deals from the Franco era regarding the import of oil to Spain, namely that JC got a cut of the excise paid on imported oil to Spain (acc to reports this arrangement was only discontinued under Anzar) , among other sweetheart deals that Franco made with JC to reward him and keep him loyal prior to him becoming king.

Last edited:
The UAE would be uncomfortably hot at this time of year.

The UAE would be uncomfortably hot at this time of year.

I Hardly think that's a reason not to go there. by all accounts Juan has been travellng a lot since he abdicated.. Im sure he's used to hot climates

A photo has just appeared on Twitter of JC getting off a plane in Abu Dhabi. Looks like he did come to the Gulf after all.

Another interesting tidbit came up- if I may quote the newspaper:
"Another option under consideration was to settle his tax dues, even beyond the five years set by the law as the statute of limitations on tax crimes. Sources consulted by this newspaper said that the problem was that this would force Juan Carlos I to pay over €60 million, if a multi-million donation by the late Saudi king Abdullah was included in his taxable income. And that was beyond the former king’s current ability to pay. o]

Can't he make a deal to settle the debt in installments over time rather than making a single lump payment?

Another negative side of this unfortunate story is that Felipe and Leonor after him have been deprived of any family inheritance and are now in an even more precarious financial situation than before and totally dependent on the apanage they get from the Spanish state. I hope that at least the family jewels have been transferred to Felipe after the abdication so that they can remain available to future generations of the RF.

Can't he make a deal to settle the debt in installments over time rather than making a single lump payment?

Another negative side of this unfortunate story is that Felipe and Leonor after him have been deprived of any family inheritance and are now in an even more precarious financial situation than before and totally dependent on the apanage they get from the Spanish state. I hope that at least the family jewels have been transferred to Felipe after the abdication so that they can remain available to future generations of the RF.

https://www.niusdiario.es/nacional/...tiene-condicion-investigado_18_2990145133.htm
So even though the Supreme Court ruled that Juan Carlos cannot be called in for questioning because there is no official investigation, the prosecutor's office of the court could still be looking at calling for an investigation. It seems the "Omnium Cultural" in Barcelona was requesting a hearing. It does seem like a lot still has to happen before Juan Carlos is held accountable for pay back and then who would he pay back, the Saudis or the government in taxes? I'm also concerned about the royal family's jewels. Hopefully they are protected. I was wondering who is covering Queen Sophia's expenses, I suppose the government? Your questions concerning Felipe and then Leonor, the government? What a big royal mess!

Last edited:
https://www.niusdiario.es/nacional/...tiene-condicion-investigado_18_2990145133.htm
So even though the Supreme Court ruled that Juan Carlos cannot be called in for questioning because there is no official investigation the prosecutor's office of the court could still be looking at calling for an investigation. It seems the "Omnium Cultural" in Barcelona was requesting a hearing. It does seems like a lot still has to happen before Juan Carlos is held accountable for pay back and then who would he pay back, the Saudis or the government in taxes? I'm also concerned about the royal family's jewels. Hopefully they are protected. I was wondering who is covering Queen Sophia's expenses, I suppose the government? Your questions concerning Felipe and then Leonor, the government? What a big royal mess!

The money trail is so long and circuitous that it would take years to audit and decide on accountability. I imagine Sofia has long had a separate account and has enough in inheritance from Greece to maintain her standard of living. The Greeks were very smart in how they handled their finances despite several exiles. I imagine there was some sort of inheritance for Felipe from Frederika. I'm unclear what was inherited by the grandchildren from the estate of Don Juan de Borbon y Battenberg.

The money trail is so long and circuitous that it would take years to audit and decide on accountability.

The fear is that any audit of the royal finances might confirm the allegation that JC has been keeping property outside of Spain under third party accounts, as well as the true extent of the family’s wealth.

Yet it may be the family's best chance to move on from this: come clean with their assets, put all cards on the table, acknowledge mistakes were made, pay penalties and move forward. It would be painful for a little while (but not necessarily worse than what is going on now with all the speculations) and I think this would help Felipe /Leonor and perhaps enhance the image of the royal family. Let us not forget that even these issues go on the back burner after a while, upon Juan Carlos' eventual passing these questions will be revived - so better to pre-empt and settle them now.

I agree; surely they can make some sort of settlement.

Another negative side of this unfortunate story is that Felipe and Leonor after him have been deprived of any family inheritance [...] .

More reasons to come clean now; they cant wait too much longer.

I cant help thinking this family has been getting bad advice for too long, either that or they don't listen to advice.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia abdicated her share of her parents' inheritance to her sister, Princess Irene.
As Princess Irene has no children and is very close to the children of Queen Sofia, I imagine that she will leave at least part of her assets to Felipe, Cristina and Elena.
I'm not sure what King Juan Carlos inherited from his parents, I just know that he inherited money and that that money was deposited in Switzerland, I don't know if part of that money still exists.
I believe Felipe has savings and investments and that everything should be cool.
I believe that the Spanish Royal Family is not as wealthy as the other royal families.

Back
Top Bottom