The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Where will King Juan Carlos live?
According to the Spanish press, King Juan Carlos is no longer in the Zarzuela Palace, which means that he will no longer be in Spanish territory.

I hope this is the end of the controversies in the Spanish monarchy.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, that's quite a statement - but very well crafted: emphasizing that he is doing so as he has the best interests of Spain and especially the monarchy at heart.

I wonder where he will move to (or more likely already has moved to). Hopefully, he didn't move to a place related to these charges (Middle East). Would moving to Geneva be a possibility (although these specific charges are about a bank account in Switzerland so probably not the best choice)? Cristina seems closer to her mother than her father but at least in that way he would have one of his children nearby. What would be other likely options?

I guess the decision not to remove his title as king is made partly because Felipe doesn't want his mother to loose the title of Queen. With this decision while Juan Carlos distanced himself even more than he already had by no longer carrying out any royal duties, she can continue representing the monarchy.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Majesty

an odd move. like others, i also believe this is the unofficial confirmation that there is truth in the rumours and accusations, but i wonder what the real motivation is behind this. the obvious first one is distancing himself from felipe to try for this not to spill drama onto him, but there must be something else. i hope it is not the hope that he will not be judged if he lived abroad.

with JC, it has been a slow trickle of official moves to distance him as a way to allow the crown to continue to operate and have its reputation undamaged (abdicating, retiring from his official role, for felipe to distance himself from his inheritance, moving outside the country...). i wonder how else he will continue to respond to future accusations and investigations, as they seem to pop up quite often these days and it would seem that the royal household has used all the ways possible available to put distance between him and the RF already.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

King Juan Carlos will never be arrested, he leaves Spain for the sake of the monarchy and his family.
This is a very sensitive matter for the whole family, we are talking about corruption.
King Juan Carlos has been in no official duties since last year and therefore no longer represents Spain and the Royal House.
The life of King Juan Carlos from now on must be in recollection, perhaps never seen in public again.
I believe he will live for a country far from Spain, perhaps to the Dominican Republic.
But he can also move to a nearby country, such as Switzerland where Infanta Cristina resides, and there he would be close to one of her daughters and grandchildren.
As I have said I do not believe in a conviction, at most he can pay a fine or even return a part of the money, but this is a complex case and probably will not even be solved in the lifetime of King Juan Carlos, who is sick and this will probably only worsen his state of health.
It is not known whether King Juan Carlos when he dies will be buried in Spain. I hope so, in the end, he was King of Spain.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Making the headlines around the World

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...eporting-story

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-scandal.html
Old 08-03-2020, 01:38 PM
Majesty

But Queen Sofia stays in Spain?
Old 08-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But Queen Sofia stays in Spain?
It seems that Queen Sofia will continue to reside in Spain and the Zarzuela Palace.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It seems that the pressure became too much, Felipe had to distance himself from his father. History is repeating itself, first the abdication, the retirement from the public eye was not enough, now exile.

Hopefully this brings a bit of closure but I guess there will only be closure with the death of Juan Carlos.

Very sad end to a man who managed a unique achievement for Spain.

I would be surprised if any of this has an impact of the life or public reception of Queen Sofia, she'll stay where she is.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

The statement doesn't use the word "exile" but I assume that is how it will be seen. I am confused in regard to how his move abroad will serve to protect the monarchy; he has already been retired from representing the crown and the move abroad will not end the investigations or the reporting of the investigations.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Nobility

It's slightly crazy that a man whose return (and moreso, choosing democracy) meant so much to Spain is now self-exiling. JC unfortunately seems to embody the modern adage about either dying a hero or living long enough to become the villain.

Does this mean Felipe and Letizia will finally be moving into Zarzuela?
Old 08-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King Juan Carlos has been the achilles heel of the SRF for sometime now,he won't be the 1st Bourbon to go into exile and I'm not at all shocked by the news.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
It's slightly crazy that a man whose return (and moreso, choosing democracy) meant so much to Spain is now self-exiling. JC unfortunately seems to embody the modern adage about either dying a hero or living long enough to become the villain.

Does this mean Felipe and Letizia will finally be moving into Zarzuela?
I believe Felipe and Letizia and their daughters will be able to move to Zarzuela in a while, not now.
The only person in the royal family who will now live in the main building of the palace is Queen Sofia, accompanied by her sister, and not always full-time because she also usually spends time in Greece with her brother and sister-in-law.
Felipe VI and Queen Letizia now have the opportunity to move to the Zarzuela Palace and thus start a new era in the Spanish monarchy, free from scandals and controversies.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I don't think they will move there as long as Sofia and Irene are alive and the daughters still in school. It would have been Leonor's turn to go abroad the year after next but who knows with corona.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The decision of King Juan Carlos to move outside Spain will not entail any change in the situation of Queen Sofia, who will maintain his residence in the Palacio de la Zarzuela and to continue his institutional activity.

https://www.abc.es/estilo/gente/abci...6_noticia.html

"I respect the decisions communicated by the King's House and recognition of the exemplaryness and transparency that have always guided King Felipe VI since his arrival at the Head of State". It is the first and short message issued by the Government, an hour and a half after the announcement of Juan Carlos to move to live outside Spain.

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-torra...7_noticia.html
Old 08-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia should have been moved to a smaller residence after the abdication.
I feel queen Sofia and her sister living at the Zarzuela palace minus the former head of State will attract more unwanted scrutiny.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Wow. This is kinda sleazy. Felipe and Letizia have a nice mansion and the audiences are done at the Zarzuela. I think that have the same problem as other reigning families where an elderly royal person blocks housing for the up and coming heirs. Also, Juan Carlos is very odd. Is he going to live in Portugal where he partly grew up?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
Wow. This is kinda sleazy. Felipe and Letizia have a nice mansion and the audiences are done at the Zarzuela. I think that have the same problem as other reigning families where an elderly royal person blocks housing for the up and coming heirs. Also, Juan Carlos is very odd. Is he going to live in Portugal where he partly grew up?
That's an interesting thought. Didn't the president of Portugal recently visit the king. They might have discussed this particular issue (among many others).
Old 08-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia should have been moved to a smaller residence after the abdication.
I feel queen Sofia and her sister living at the Zarzuela palace minus the former head of State will attract more unwanted scrutiny.

they should have switched Houses with Felipe and Letiza after the abdication in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
I think that have the same problem as other reigning families where an elderly royal person blocks housing for the up and coming heirs.

In the Netherlands that was no problem as former Queen Beatrix moved out of Huis ten Bosch Palace after her abdication and in Belgium King Philippe and Queen Mathilde already lived into Laeken Palace as Queen Albert and Queen Paola had choosen not to move into it after becoming King and Queen.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Commoner

It"s pathetic the way the spaniards make a joke of their monarchy thereby presenting themselves as clowns infront of the rest of the world!we are not the same and the magna carta only applies to common citizens that is why they have a parliament as to why they even lost Gilbrater refering to the Pact of Uterrect as if a prince is withdrawn from a pact so does his Kingdoms regency over that is withdrawn,So a kingdom becomes his king/QUEEN.If England raises a hand against it"s monarch is power falls as it"s monarch is head of a colony of countries which empowers her Kingdom with regulation or goods and commodities.is one of such Eg of the power of a prince.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:40 PM
Courtier

The way it's coming across here is that he's slinking off to the sidelines because of his alleged involvement in a dodgy rail contract concerning Saudi Arabia.

He was the hero who restored democracy to Spain after Franco, and now this is what it's come to.

I can't see that it's just a question of accommodation. Surely he could have found somewhere else to live. There's no problem with retired monarchs in Belgium or the Netherlands.

Tags
abu dhabi, corruption, dubai, juan carlos, spain, uae customs