King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duke of Marmalade

Imperial Majesty
City
Frankfurt am Main
Country
Germany
Last edited by a moderator:
What an article!

Apparently she told it in 2015 to a Spanish police officer.

She also claimed that Juan Carlos I held bank accounts in Switzerland in the name of his cousin, Álvaro Orleans de Borbón (a brother of the 7th duke of Galliera).

In the recordings revealed on Wednesday, the aristocrat said she was living a “nightmare” because the king had put various properties in Morocco and elsewhere into her name, which, following the end of their personal relationship, he then wanted transferred to his cousin.
“But if I do it, it is money laundering,” she says in the recording as transcribed by El Español. “They are putting me under tremendous pressure to return these things, but if I do it I am breaking the law and I could go to jail”.

They estimate his net worth at 2 billion Euros!

No wonder he has been lying low of late I was thinking he was ill!

The Borbón's seem HELL bent on destroying their throne....

Well, it's not that surprising since there were also some shady deals involved in the house that he bought or financed for Iñaki and Cristina. It goes to show that Iñaki's idea he could get away with things using his wife's name was supported by the evidence of his father-in-law getting away with tax evation. And the king apparently continued on that route even after Iñaki was caught.

Just as one unsavory scandal is laid to rest another one emerges.

Apparently Corinna also talks about some shady dealings regarding the AVE a la Meca (high speed train to Mecca). If I understand it correctly the king wanted to (and did) receive ten thousands of millions as an intermediate, claimimg he made the whole project possible, so for his role as the one connecting the real intermediate witn the Saudi king he expected to receive half of the commision (under the table). Corinna tried to convince the king not to do this as it would be illegal and he could end up in prison. His response: "You are so German."

Oh dear, this doesn't seem like a good situation at all. Like father-in-law, like son-in-law!

I think from when JC steered Spain into democracy and started rebuilding the country economically, there were a lot of deals going on that included personal enrichment, something that is still common in authoritarian regimes or many democracies until today even though from a legal perspective it would be considered 'shady' or even criminal. Corruption has deep roots in Spain and has been a trivial offense for many years. It was normal procedure.

We'll see if all the money that JC has amassed for himself and his family can be considered 'clean' when he passes and his children inherit, at least Felipe will be under scrutiny. Having said that, most Spaniards are aware of JC's dealings and so will be Felipe, having learned what it takes to lead a country from his father first hand including the shady parts.

I think from when JC steered Spain into democracy and started rebuilding the country economically, there were a lot of deals going on that included personal enrichment, something that is still common in authoritarian regimes or many democracies until today even though from a legal perspective it would be considered 'shady' or even criminal. Corruption has deep roots in Spain and has been a trivial offense for many years. It was normal procedure.

We'll see if all the money that JC has amassed for himself and his family can be considered 'clean' when he passes and his children inherit, at least Felipe will be under scrutiny. Having said that, most Spaniards are aware of JC's dealings and so will be Felipe, having learned what it takes to lead a country from his father first hand including the shady parts.

If what you are saying is correct, then finding out about the money and property really isn't that big a scandal in the eyes of most Spanish citizens or the fact that he did amass this fortune not a secret to his wife or children. Why the big headlines now as if people are shocked. I don't get it. It can't be about the mistress as he had tons of them in his life. What sparked it off now?

What an article!

Apparently she told it in 2015 to a Spanish police officer.

She also claimed that Juan Carlos I held bank accounts in Switzerland in the name of his cousin, Álvaro Orleans de Borbón (a brother of the 7th duke of Galliera).

They estimate his net worth at 2 billion Euros!

There is no way Juan Carlos could have a net worth of 2 billion euros. When figures like that are mentioned, the credibility of the article is already disputed.

There is no way Juan Carlos could have a net worth of 2 billion euros. When figures like that are mentioned, the credibility of the article is already disputed.

Is this true/plausible, or is it an unconfirmed tale from an ex mistress?

If what you are saying is correct, then finding out about the money and property really isn't that big a scandal in the eyes of most Spanish citizens or the fact that he did amass this fortune not a secret to his wife or children. Why the big headlines now as if people are shocked. I don't get it. It can't be about the mistress as he had tons of them in his life. What sparked it off now?

Well, these days corruption is not considered a trivial offence any longer, the last PM, Rajoy, had to leave office because of his involvement in party corruption. Same goes for Inaki, in different times he would possibly have avoided a jail sentence.

Even though it's common knowledge that JC will have amassed lots of wealth on the side of deals/dealings for Spain and back then it was normal procedure, it will reflect badly on the monarchy and Felipe, who has implemented transparency and moral standards at casa real, because he will possibly have to deal with/inherit issues that today are considered or stem from a criminal offence. Its one thing to alienate Inaki, a brother in law, but another to alienate his father and predecessor. And we all know that Felipe has a very soft spot for his mother, who would hate to see this topic making lots of headlines.

2 billion Euros is a lot of money, I dont think anyone will ever confirm this. But JC has had lots of dealings with the Saudis, UAE or Morocco, authoritarian regimes with wealth beyond imagination (at least the elites of the country).

Last edited:
D of M, thank you for your comments to my question. I do understand the difference of morals and underhanded governments and CEO of yesteryear but actually didn't realize that it was common knowledge in Spain. We were always led to believe the noble strict Catholic country was extremely moral and should set the example approved of by the Roman Father in all ways. My grade school teachers actually drilled this into us on exams.

I sincerely hope that another Inaki scandal will not be placed upon the Spanish citizens. They have endured enough and the cost is absolutely crazy. Plus if, as you stated, all knew about these behind-the-back dealing including spouse and the three issues [new king being one] there will be no way for them under court questing that they could possibly say under oath that they knew nothing was going on illegally with JC. None of them are stupid or gullible. A tad spoiled and used to the extreme good life maybe, but not ignorant. Maybe just used to turning their head on the lack of morals used by prior heads of governments even their own parent.

As far as the amount of money......yes I believe. Was not that much when first taken but over the years and with good investments, very possible. JMO Thanks again

Last edited:
Doesn't King Juan Carlos have immunity from prosecution now? Wasn't that one of the conditions that was agreed on as part of his abdication? So even though these deals may now be spoken of openly, it isn't as though he will go to prison. However, I do see how it may cause difficulties for the SRF.

Doesn't King Juan Carlos have immunity from prosecution now? Wasn't that one of the conditions that was agreed on as part of his abdication? So even though these deals may now be spoken of openly, it isn't as though he will go to prison. However, I do see how it may cause difficulties for the SRF.

I am not sure about his legal status now. When he was the reigning king, he had immunity from prosecution under the Spanish constitution. That BTW is also the case for all other reigning European monarchs as far as I understand.

Well, these days corruption is not considered a trivial offence any longer, the last PM, Rajoy, had to leave office because of his involvement in party corruption. Same goes for Inaki, in different times he would possibly have avoided a jail sentence.

Even though it's common knowledge that JC will have amassed lots of wealth on the side of deals/dealings for Spain and back then it was normal procedure, it will reflect badly on the monarchy and Felipe, who has implemented transparency and moral standards at casa real, because he will possibly have to deal with/inherit issues that today are considered or stem from a criminal offence. Its one thing to alienate Inaki, a brother in law, but another to alienate his father and predecessor. And we all know that Felipe has a very soft spot for his mother, who would hate to see this topic making lots of headlines.

2 billion Euros is a lot of money, I dont think anyone will ever confirm this. But JC has had lots of dealings with the Saudis, UAE or Morocco, authoritarian regimes with wealth beyond imagination (at least the elites of the country).

I don’t think corruption was ever considered trivial but it was/is commonplace. Iñaki’s problem was not that what he did was unheard of but that he did it in a clumsy way that made it easy for anyone who wanted to go looking to take him down. In terms of the money he was moving around he was small potatoes. It’s still incomprehensible to me why Juan Carlos didn’t follow the time honoured tradition of powerful fathers in law making sure there’s a rock solid financial brain watching over his son in law’s business. IF what Corinna is saying is true then maybe he truly felt he and his family were untouchable.

That said, while I don’t doubt Juan Carlos and his family have benefitted from deals that wouldn’t hold up under legal scrutiny, I don’t know how much credibility I’d give these particular stories. Corinna seems to have been quite happy to at least look the other way and keep quiet about JC’s dealings before he left her.

Felipe hasn’t instituted any transparency regarding his private financial dealings and if he ever did I think it would be eye opening for those who think of him as pure as the driven snow. At the very least he’s benefitted financially from his father’s wheeling and dealing. And he’ll benefit even more when his father dies. I predict if this issue doesn’t go away he’ll be “noble” and announce he’s putting the inheritance into the existing foundation - but, of course, a significant part of the inheritance won’t be traceable or declared, at least not if Juan Carlos and his friends have done their jobs well.

I don’t think corruption was ever considered trivial but it was/is commonplace. Iñaki’s problem was not that what he did was unheard of but that he did it in a clumsy way that made it easy for anyone who wanted to go looking to take him down. In terms of the money he was moving around he was small potatoes. It’s still incomprehensible to me why Juan Carlos didn’t follow the time honoured tradition of powerful fathers in law making sure there’s a rock solid financial brain watching over his son in law’s business. IF what Corinna is saying is true then maybe he truly felt he and his family were untouchable.

That said, while I don’t doubt Juan Carlos and his family have benefitted from deals that wouldn’t hold up under legal scrutiny, I don’t know how much credibility I’d give these particular stories. Corinna seems to have been quite happy to at least look the other way and keep quiet about JC’s dealings before he left her.

Felipe hasn’t instituted any transparency regarding his private financial dealings and if he ever did I think it would be eye opening for those who think of him as pure as the driven snow. At the very least he’s benefitted financially from his father’s wheeling and dealing. And he’ll benefit even more when his father dies. I predict if this issue doesn’t go away he’ll be “noble” and announce he’s putting the inheritance into the existing foundation - but, of course, a significant part of the inheritance won’t be traceable or declared, at least not if Juan Carlos and his friends have done their jobs well.

Agree 100%

I do think that JC felt that he and his family was untouchable, therefore he got sloppy and it was bad luck that the financial crisis turned perception of wrongdoing regarding public money in Spain upside down.

I am very sure that if there had been no austeridad in Spain, nobody would have cared enough to put an end at Inaki's dealings or at least kept on going after him when he got shipped out to Washington with a golden handshake.

And yes, I believe that JC will have covered his tracks well enough to not bring Felipe and the monarchy into serious problems, money will go to foundations and there will be left enough to lead a very wealthy life behind closed doors, not only for Felipe but also for his two sisters.

Why is it coming out only now and by a Mistress ? Did other people receive "siilence money"

All of this is probably why Cristina and Iñaki must feel betrayed by some members of their own family who do or did exactly the same things (or knowingly profitted from them) but weren't caught (or at least not persecuted). While it is right that Iñaki has to serve his sentence it looks like there are many other including the emeritus king who should be serving far longer sentences for corruption charges but most likely never will.

I wondr why it is only this story making headlines and not also his shady Saoudi dealings which is probably how he amassed most of his wealth.

I guess it’s because its more clickbaity than “former king of Spain launders money from dodgy business deals in Saudi Arabia” - sex sells I guess. As for Corinna, I would not trust anything she is saying to the media or law enforcement, from what I’ve heard she has a long history of acting as a ‘fixer’ for activities like this, and she isn’t a princess either. Her second husband was from the SWB family and her real name is Corinna Larsen. She could have walked away any time and chose not to, she knew what she was doing.

In fairness Juan Carlos isn’t the only royal personage to have had dealing of dubious legality in the MIddle East - those two examples cited above are high end UK papers and the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall have had investmentes in the ME for some time. He’s just been arrogant and stupid enough to do so in his own name as opposed to through third party foundations and trusts.

JC needs to loose his immunity - this is bigger than being forgetful about filing taxes.

Last edited:
Corinna zu Sayn Wittgenstein is no German Princess why the media keep referring to her as one I do not know.

To me the worst part is that Juan Carlos doesn't even seem to think his behavior is morally wrong or problematic but seemed to think he was entitled to lots of (illegal) money just because he is the king and therefore has connections in the Middle East...

I assume many people would use their influence to advance certain causes but hopefully not to the extend that they think they are above the law (which interestingly is what the Casa Real has been actively proclaiming for some years now: 'nobody is above the law' - but clearly there are exceptions, it's just those married into the royal family who aren't, only those born into it are).

What I want to know about all this is, where precisely are these leaks coming from? Unless spanish law enforcement have some serious security issues, than this recording, and similar information that’s been seeping out into the media over the past decade, is being released on purpose. Or has Corinna herself been the one feeding information to the media to pass the buck? I think there’s somthing bigger going on here...

Should this be in a separate thread as its not really about JC and the press?

Last edited:
One can wonder why media of perfidious Albion covers the story. It is disingenuous for supine British media to discuss levels of corruption in a foreign state.

It is amusing to see negative labels being attached to Saudi Arabia, UAE and Morocco. The enlightened European regimes do not mind taking investments from the above kingdoms. They do need to decide between morality and greed for comfortable living.

Last edited:

One of the major factors that lead to the collapse of the Spanish monarchy in the 1930s was the allegations of corruption surrounding Alfonso XIII and the bourbons more broadly. Unlike JC though, Alfonso was accused of taking money directly from the Spanish treasury. Franco and his wife carmen polo also embezzled a great deal during his time as caudillo, and the Franco years were very corrupt due to the nature of the regime. With i think the exception of Suarez, all post transition governments have collapsed due to corruption chargers and financial mismanagement. Similar charges also helped hasten the decline of the monarchy in Greece. Juan Carlos himself was the one who had the idea that the RF should pay income tax in the first place.

Juan Carlos should have known better than this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom