King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If he actually said this, it is truly pathetic. We all know the reason he abdicated:- outrage at killing elephants in Bulawayo; fact he went on that trip with his mistress; the public apology he had to make; the mess of trying tosupport his daughter in the middle of a corruption scandal.

This is appalling - to try and bring in another Rf into this mess.

And now, a paternity suit in the offing.

Lost all respect

In addition to the various scandals, is his poor health.
(Maybe too macho to admit his failing health is his primary reason for stepping down.) Indirectly attacking QEII & PC was a coward's way to save face.

If he actually said this, it is truly pathetic. We all know the reason he abdicated:- outrage at killing elephants in Bulawayo; fact he went on that trip with his mistress; the public apology he had to make; the mess of trying tosupport his daughter in the middle of a corruption scandal.

This is appalling - to try and bring in another Rf into this mess.

And now, a paternity suit in the offing.

Lost all respect

In addition to the various scandals, is his poor health.
(Maybe too macho to admit his failing health is his primary reason for stepping down.) Indirectly attacking QEII & PC was a coward's way to save face.
Well said.

I think that the very last thing on KJC mind when he made the decision to abdicate was anything whatsoever to do with the BRF and more to do with the SRF, like his ill health, poor decisions, moral scandals and financial misconduct which has led to the precarious position he now holds, thanks in large part to his own shortcomings.

Taking a cheap shot at HMQEII and Prince Charles to deflect scrutiny is counterproductive. He would be better off just backing his heir!

We all know Kings and Queens are not voted in, but politicians certainly are if the monarchy no longer exists.
Ever looked into how the Federal President of Germany is selected? Yeah, selected, then "voted" in by the Federal Assembly (consisting of the parliament, state parliaments and celebrities), none of us lowly Germans is ever asked whom we want. And then they run off after a couple of years and we have to pay their astronomically high pensions, staffed office, security, car and car driver (all times five currently, plus the current one). I guess in the end the monarchy in Spain costs a lot less than our former Presidents (I read somewhere, that our Presidency costs just as much as the British monarchy). And last not least, when I look at Belgium or the Netherlands and I guess Spain won't be that different: former monarchs nerver retire entirely, they still work for their money. I saw one of the protesters in Spain on TV and her complaints, that in republics people get to elect their head-of-state and that it costs a lot less. I would have liked to laugh into that woman's face.

All in all: good for Spain to be getting such a nice man as their head-of-state! And a wonderful woman for Queen.

best wishes Michiru

Well said.

I think that the very last thing on KJC mind when he made the decision to abdicate was anything whatsoever to do with the BRF and more to do with the SRF, like his ill health, poor decisions, moral scandals and financial misconduct which has led to the precarious position he now holds, thanks in large part to his own shortcomings.

Taking a cheap shot at HMQEII and Prince Charles to deflect scrutiny is counterproductive. He would be better off just backing his heir!

JC would never take a cheap shot to QEII in this issue considering he agreed in the past that monarchs should stay on their roles for life.

In Spain the monarchy will always be questioned to a degree the British won't. King Juan Carlos has abdicated with Spain in mind. Nothing else.

Interesting that many fellow-posters immediately felt stinged like a wasp and jump on articles clearly written purely on base of a testimonium de auditu. (Hearsay from a person that apparently has learned from another person whom apparently claims to have seen or heard something).

Ever looked into how the Federal President of Germany is selected? Yeah, selected, then "voted" in by the Federal Assembly (consisting of the parliament, state parliaments and celebrities), none of us lowly Germans is ever asked whom we want. And then they run off after a couple of years and we have to pay their astronomically high pensions, staffed office, security, car and car driver (all times five currently, plus the current one). I guess in the end the monarchy in Spain costs a lot less than our former Presidents (I read somewhere, that our Presidency costs just as much as the British monarchy). And last not least, when I look at Belgium or the Netherlands and I guess Spain won't be that different: former monarchs nerver retire entirely, they still work for their money. I saw one of the protesters in Spain on TV and her complaints, that in republics people get to elect their head-of-state and that it costs a lot less. I would have liked to laugh into that woman's face.

All in all: good for Spain to be getting such a nice man as their head-of-state! And a wonderful woman for Queen.

best wishes Michiru
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:And in reading your comment I had to laugh out loud, we Americans have voted for our government and we(some of us)deserve what we voted for, a bunch of damn crooks. Mind you, I so agree with your comment, yet one thing is that there are more Germans then you and you can't vote for all of them........being this, sure we can vote, I have voted and now I refuse to do so, why, there are toooooo many idiots in America that vote for the same ole men in grey suits that know how to give the people the sweet talk and charm the ladies with great smiles and hold all those babies(that they hate by the way) and then these politicians that we vote for go into office and rob is blind, steal and lie and take all the benefits that the poor and what's left of the middle class away from us so that they can stuff their own bank accounts. All of them except (2) in the entire bunch think that they are KINGS/QUEENS and get all that your president gets plus more, we have over 300 of those kings and queens and they are costing us tons of money. So now they have okay the sell of drugs to the people to make even more money...........money is their God. Do I like my government.......hell NO and I can't vote them out of office because I am only one(1) vote and there are more votes then mine that want them in office. Being in the back pocket of bankers, wealthy people beyond any means we can even dream of, men who are trying to buy the votes of the people with lies and more lies........I have no one in my government that represents the people. If you want them, you can have the whole darn lot of them and please keep them.
*I have said this before when people complain they want a republic: The people that complain are being lied to by the republic party, they seem to think that once a republic, all THEIR PROBLEMS WILL GO AWAY, there will plenty of jobs, no unemployment, higher salaries, food on all tables, no poor people any more, everyone will live happy ever after..............then reality hits them in the face and whao......what have we done. I feel for you and the government and the Spanish people and all the Americans here that are so darn fed up with our government...........maybe it's time some heads roll..................if the people get disgusted enough they will.

Interesting that many fellow-posters immediately felt stinged like a wasp and jump on articles clearly written purely on base of a testimonium de auditu. (Hearsay from a person that apparently has learned from another person whom apparently claims to have seen or heard something).

More than interesting, it's been obvious.

Do we know if foreign royals will be invited to the ceremony on the 19th of June?

Do we know if foreign royals will be invited to the ceremony on the 19th of June?

No foreign royals are invited to the proclamation. There is no space available with a joint seating of parliament and senate.

If the official referred to in these articles didn't say these things to El Mundo, then he can come out and publicly refute them.

At least in this case a source for these comments has actually been named, which is more than we usually get. People can give whatever degree of weight to this piece that they feel appropriate based on that.

Last edited:
Next week, on Tuesday 17, the Senate will vote in favour of against the Law. If it is approved, next day (Wednesday June 18) the King will sign and sanction the Law and next day, June 19, the BOE will publish it. Then, it will be effective and Felipe will be King, and the same day he will be proclaimed.

It makes sense, Juan Carlos and Cristina should not be present.

June 18

18:00

Solemn act of enactment and promulgation of the law of abdication at the Royal Palace

June 19

9:30

King Juan Carlos impose the sash of Captain General to King Felipe at Zarzuela Palace

10:00

King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias and infanta Sofía will leave Zarzuela Palace

10:30

Arrival to the Congress.
Army representatives will perform military honors to the new king.
Act of proclamation.
Speech of King Felipe.
Military Parade.

Route by car from the Palace of Congress to the Royal Palace

13:00

Greeting from the balcony of the Royal Family. King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias, Infanta Sofía, King Juan Carlos abd Queen Sofía.

Reception at the Royal Palace

Proclamación Felipe VI: El Rey no asistirá a la proclamación de su hijo el 19 de junio en el Congreso | Política | EL PAÍS

I assume then that Juan Carlos and Sofia will retain their titles.

June 18

18:00

Solemn act of enactment and promulgation of the law of abdication at the Royal Palace

June 19

9:30

King Juan Carlos impose the sash of Captain General to King Felipe at Zarzuela Palace

10:00

King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias and infanta Sofía will leave Zarzuela Palace

10:30

Arrival to the Congress.
Army representatives will perform military honors to the new king.
Act of proclamation.
Speech of King Felipe.
Military Parade.

Route by car from the Palace of Congress to the Royal Palace

13:00

Greeting from the balcony of the Royal Family. King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess of Asturias, Infanta Sofía, King Juan Carlos abd Queen Sofía.

Reception at the Royal Palace

Proclamación Felipe VI: El Rey no asistirá a la proclamación de su hijo el 19 de junio en el Congreso | Política | EL PAÍS
Thanks Lula, it sounds good. I guess it will be broadcasted since minute 0 (that´s it, Zarzuela Palace at 9:30 in the morning). I hope the coverage will be fine as well.

Thank you for the schedule of events Lula. I have to admit that I'd love to have Felipe's family present to support him at this time, but I can understand that the presence of certain members could be controversial. They'll have their own reception later.

I wonder what went on behind the scenes. The old man will surely have protected himself. This will be hard on everybody, we'll see how active for example Sofia will stay. Juan Carlos will probably become some kind of Elder Statesman, still using his connections. There will be a lot of pressure on the Asturias family now, Leonor becoming Princess of Asturias at the age of 9.

You were right Duke!:whistling:There is more to King Juan Carlos' abdication than meets the eye! Why would he continue to need total legal protection after he has abdicated?
Government seeking total legal protection for Juan Carlos after crown handover | In English | EL PAÍS

Last edited:
You were right Duke!:whistling:There is more to King Juan Carlos' abdication than meets the eye! Why would he continue to need total legal protection after he has abdicated?
Government seeking total legal protection for Juan Carlos after crown handover | In English | EL PAÍS
:ermm:We will never know the full story as to why JC gave up the throne he so desperately wanted. There is for sure so much more then meets the eye in regards to him and his daughter. He has left Spain in such a mess and the Queen left with what...........her future was in his hands and he just destroyed all he touched. I hope he fades to the background and just disappeares forever and take his daughter with him. Karma sure came back and bit him big for all the problems that he has caused. He really needs to look in the mirror and be hones with himself which will never happen.

:ermm:We will never know the full story as to why JC gave up the throne he so desperately wanted. There is for sure so much more then meets the eye in regards to him and his daughter. He has left Spain in such a mess and the Queen left with what...........her future was in his hands and he just destroyed all he touched. I hope he fades to the background and just disappeares forever and take his daughter with him. Karma sure came back and bit him big for all the problems that he has caused. He really needs to look in the mirror and be hones with himself which will never happen.

Come on Elizabeth... "He has left Spain in such a mess"... I think you have missed the fact that Spain is governed by a democratically elected Government and comprises of 17 autonomous regions, all with their own Governments and parliaments, holding great executive powers? How can a ceremonial head of state have left "Spain in such a mess"? Is it his fault that the real estate bubble exploded? Is it his fault that the worldwide crisis which started in the United States engulfed the world and hit his nation mercilessly hard?

This King started his Reign as a puppet from dictator Franco but, despite being indoctrinated as Franco's effective hostage, nevertheless took a firm hand and lead Spain into the modern world, to liberalize the country, to join the EU and NATO. Spain, in the 1980's still one of Europe's poorest countries made a gi-gan-tic boom in the Reign of King Juan Carlos. It started with the best Olympics ever, the one of Barcelona 1992. Then the world suddenly saw a new and a modern Spain. The nineties and the first decade of the millenium saw Spain as one of Europe's economic miracles. The King's reputation and public approval rose to unseen heights.

The deep crisis hit Spain hard. Almost half (!) of the youth can not find work. Spain and the Spaniards had to bring immense sacrifices to keep up those financial giants to prevent the whole nation tumbling down. With draconic measures Spain has now found the right way. Of course this immensely affected the trust the Spaniards have in their country, in the State, the institutions of State, the financial world, all embodied by the person of the King. They see that Spaniards are enforced to leave their properties. They see that Spaniards have to queue for food banks. They see that the best and the brightest leave the country to find jobs elsewhere. It is only natural that the general discontentment translates into more zest amongst separatists, more hostility against "the gentlemen there high up above us in Madrid" and ultimately embodied by the most profiled Spaniard of all, the King.

Please, no any of today's present Kings has endured what Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón had. Born in exile in Italy. Spending his youth in Portugal. Back in Spain being separated from his parents and "hostaged" by Franco to brainwash him in a "true patriot" (according his fascist ideology). He saw his brother-in-law loosing his throne in Greece. He had to fight for his sake amongst scepticism and pretenders. In the first years as King he was met with suspicion, the Spaniards fearing a second Franco hidden behind that smile. The coup d'état by discontent military which was slashed down by the King's unlimited support towards democracy.

Really... Palmam Qui Meruit Ferat (Honour Those Deserving Honour). After the announcement of the abdication, the Spanish media were overflooded with retrospectives about the King's Reign. The Spaniards have -again- realized how eventful the King's Reign was, how they all live in a total different Spain than when the King started. The praise and the approval for the King's Reign is high but all admit that it was wise he abdicated. The King visibly is in pain, the Spaniards see a very aged, old man suffering physic problems. Behind him they see a tall, healthy and proud Prince, full of zest and facing a bright future. It is only natural that such a change revives an institution. We saw it in Belgium. Even in the Netherlands, where the approval for Queen Beatrix was rock high, her abdication rejuvenated the Royal House.

:flowers:

Last edited:

It is logical. The King is inviolable, the ministers are responsible. That is the core essence of a constitutional monarchy. This means that the Government is accountible for actions of the King. This also means that the King can not bring the Government into a position that it can not take its responsibility for his actions. In all monarchies this practically means that the hereditary and non-elected head-of-state is under guardianship of a democratically elected Government.

For almost 40 years the King has signed, promulgated, sanctioned actions of the Government, giving his approval to sometimes highly debated actions by the Government. It is natural that also the abdicated King can not be prosecuted for actions in his role as head of state. As modern Spain has not had an abdicated King before, this must be legally arrranged otherwise -for an example- the mother of a killed ETA-terrorist might prosecute the citizen Juan Carlos de Borbón for having sanctioned actions of the Spanish security forces which killed her son. "He, Juan Carlos, is responsible for my son's assassination by his fascist police! He approved it all!".

For actions after his kingship, Don Juan Carlos is as prosecutable as any other Spaniard. See his own daughter (who is not prosecuted b.t.w., just investigated).

Here, here, Duc et Pair,

most beautifully put, altho' there are MANY here who are 'judge an jury' and have found both Cristina and Juan Carlos guilty, without trial !

Come on Elizabeth... "He has left Spain in such a mess"... I think you have missed the fact that Spain is governed by a democratically elected Government and comprises of 17 autonomous regions, all with their own Governments and parliaments, holding great executive powers? How can a ceremonial head of state have left "Spain in such a mess"? Is it his fault that the real estate bubble exploded? Is it his fault that the worldwide crisis which started in the United States engulfed the world and hit his nation mercilessly hard?

This King started his Reign as a puppet from dictator Franco but, despite being indoctrinated as Franco's effective hostage, nevertheless took a firm hand and lead Spain into the modern world, to liberalize the country, to join the EU and NATO. Spain, in the 1980's still one of Europe's poorest countries made a gi-gan-tic boom in the Reign of King Juan Carlos. It started with the best Olympics ever, the one of Barcelona 1992. Then the world suddenly saw a new and a modern Spain. The nineties and the first decade of the millenium saw Spain as one of Europe's economic miracles. The King's reputation and public approval rose to unseen heights.

The deep crisis hit Spain hard. Almost half (!) of the youth can not find work. Spain and the Spaniards had to bring immense sacrifices to keep up those financial giants to prevent the whole nation tumbling down. With draconic measures Spain has now found the right way. Of course this immensely affected the trust the Spaniards have in their country, in the State, the institutions of State, the financial world, all embodied by the person of the King. They see that Spaniards are enforced to leave their properties. They see that Spaniards have to queue for food banks. They see that the best and the brightest leave the country to find jobs elsewhere. It is only natural that the general discontentment translates into more zest amongst separatists, more hostility against "the gentlemen there high up above us in Madrid" and ultimately embodied by the most profiled Spaniard of all, the King.

Please, no any of today's present Kings has endured what Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón had. Born in exile in Italy. Spending his youth in Portugal. Back in Spain being separated from his parents and "hostaged" by Franco to brainwash him in a "true patriot" (according his fascist ideology). He saw his brother-in-law loosing his throne in Greece. He had to fight for his sake amongst scepticism and pretenders. In the first years as King he was met with suspicion, the Spaniards fearing a second Franco hidden behind that smile. The coup d'état by discontent military which was slashed down by the King's unlimited support towards democracy.

Really... Palmam Qui Meruit Ferat (Honour Those Deserving Honour). After the announcement of the abdication, the Spanish media were overflooded with retrospectives about the King's Reign. The Spaniards have -again- realized how eventful the King's Reign was, how they all live in a total different Spain than when the King started. The praise and the approval for the King's Reign is high but all admit that it was wise he abdicated. The King visibly is in pain, the Spaniards see a very aged, old man suffering physic problems. Behind him they see a tall, healthy and proud Prince, full of zest and facing a bright future. It is only natural that such a change revives an institution. We saw it in Belgium. Even in the Netherlands, where the approval for Queen Beatrix was rock high, her abdication rejuvenated the Royal House.

I agree with you on all counts.

I do commend you on your comment, it seems I have tons to learn about JC and his life. You have given me a wealth of info that I did not know before. I will tell you that I have judged this man on how he has treated his wife, *I don't like men that cheat on their wives* period and guess you can assume why I said that.
You can't blame JC's character flaws on the world crisis wherever it was started. It is the character of the person that I find fault with and believe me I find tons of fault with my own government from the president down to each and every member of congress(who buy the way cost more then your one king cost your country), I have no love for someone trying to cover their tracks when they do something to hurt their country or family. I honestly think all the trappings of being King, the power, the perks, the world at his feet, the women, wine, song whatever has and did go to his head who then thinks he can do as he pleases. He was King, being King to me means, that you are above reproach and do not do some of the things that he did, such as *Killing an innocent elephant(you don't want to get me started on killing any animal as I am a HUGE 4 legged animal lover), I hate any animal head's on a wall, I will and have gotten up and left homes and places to eat that have had them on the walls, I don't eat meat,that to me what he did was unforgivable and taking his mistress with him, good grief, when I said he left the country a mess, a mess was the morals that he brought Spain down to.........lower then an ally cat. Being King means you set standards, you are to uphold all the traditions that your country is founded on and you are the head on the world stage. He lost that big time, how can anyone hold their head up high on the world stage and think for one minute that the heads/crowns of the world will respect you? He can't. I don't hate the man, I just dislike him for thinking he was entitled to do as he pleases and suffer no guilt or problems over it........... we all have childhood/adult things in our lives that make us who we are today and yet we all have choices to to the right thing or the wrong thing. He is now going to suffer his choices and I hope he thinks long and hard on his choices and what they did to him and Spain....it's really sad for him to go out this way yet it is his own chosing not anybody else's.
Thank you for the history lesson, I love reading history, my favorite history is the Ancient Near East, and Ancient Europe, things have to be around hundreds or thousands of years old to hold my interest, yet I want you to please feel free to give me a history lesson any time. I love learning in life, one of the pleasure that few understand.:flowers::)

I agree 100% with Duc et Pair.

Juan Carlos was a wonderful King at a time when it was crucial for Spain to have such a monarch. He accomplished far more good than bad. It's a shame that people are going to judge his entire reign on the last few disastrous years of it. J-C deserves better.

Finally, I have said this before. I don't care if he violated his marriage vows. That information is quite simply not the business of the public. The public is not part of the marital contract, and this goes for any leader. It's between the two people who made vows.

I think this obsession that elected leaders and even non-elected ones must be squeaking clean morally will do, and has already done, incalculable damage as far as quality of the people who are choosing to enter public service.

It's almost as if the public would welcome mediocre or sub par leadership... as long as the person doesn't cheat!:sad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom