King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After Maria Wladimirovna it is now the turn of the nutty prince Sixte of Bourbon-Parma to throw in his few cents. The prince considers himself as the legitemate king of Spain I suppose. He says that the king was an enemy to religion and to the nation:

Ante la renuncia del Jefe del Estado « Comunión Tradicionalista

Why is he referring to Juan Alfonso btw?

Last edited:
Well it will just be simple Bill in which the King confirms his desire, as expressed on June 2nd, to abdicate the kingship in favour of his son and Heir. There is broad consensus in the Cortes (Parliament) so it will all pass pretty smoothly.

Last edited:
After Maria Wladimirovna it is now the turn of the nutty prince Sixte of Bourbon-Parma to throw in his few cents. The prince considers himself as the legitemate king of Spain I suppose. He says that the king was an enemy to religion and to the nation:

His claims to the kingship of Spain are a complete farce. The last Carlist descendant from the Spanish Borbóns died, without issue, in 1936. The claim subsequently went to.... the line of the present King Juan Carlos...

CARLIST LINE

Don Carlos IV de Borbón, King of Spain (1788-1808)
x Maria Luise de Borbón, Princess of Parma
= Don Carlos de Borbón

Don Carlos de Borbón, Conde de Molina (1788-1855)
x Maria Francisca de Bragança, Infanta of Portugal
= Don Juan de Borbón

Don Juan de Borbón, Conde de Montizón (1822-1887)
x Archduchess Maria Beatrice of Austria-Este
= Don Alfonso Carlos de Borbón

Don Alfonso Carlos de Borbón, Duque de Sain Jaime (1949-1936)
x no marriage
= no issue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESENT ROYAL LINE

Don Carlos IV de Borbón, King of Spain (1788-1808)
x Maria Luise de Borbón, Princess of Parma
= Don Fernando de Borbón

Don Fernando VII de Borbón, King of Spain (1784-1833)
x Maria Christina de Borbón, Princess of Two Sicilies
= Doña Isabel de Borbón

Doña Isabel II de Borbón, Queen of Spain (1830-1904)
x Francisco de Asís María Fernando de Borbón
= Don Alfonso de Borbón

Don Alfonso XII de Borbón, King of Spain (1857-1885)
x Maria Christina, Archduchess of Austria-Lorraine
= Don Alfonso de Borbón

Don Alfonso XIII de Borbón, King of Spain (1886-1941)
x Princess Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg
= Don Juan de Borbón

Don Juan de Borbón, Conde de Barcelona (1913-1993)
x María de las Mercedes de Borbón, Princess of Two Sicilies
= Don Juan Carlos de Borbón

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón, King of Spain (1938)
x Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark
= Don Felipe de Borbón

Don Felipe de Borbón, King of Spain (1968)
x Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano
= Doña Leonor, Infanta de España

Last edited:
And you think that would not have happened in the case of JC's death?

Perhaps. If the spanish royal family hasn´t mended its damaged reputation by then - no.
But at least there was a chance their popularity had risen again at this particular day in the future.

And why not? As much as Juan Carlos did the transition from dictatorship to democracy, Felipe's role could be guiding the country from unitary parliamentary constitutional monrachy to a republic, if this turns out what people want in the next decade or so. Felipe is not stupid, at the end of the day monarchy has become outdated and Spain has never been a classic monarchistic country unlike eg the nordic countries, that seem to enjoy the pomp and glamour part.

Why not?! Because I´m a monarchist (otherwise there would be no need to spend time at this forum....) and I have very strong resentments against republics.
I don´t see why monarchies were "outdated"! And I don´t get why Spain wouldn´t be a "classic monarchistic country", too. Spain has been a monarchy for many centuries with a short exception in the 20th century.

It is amazing. Even my relatively-small middle-American city newspaper (where getting a new police chief is a front page article) picked up the story! Usually I don't see anything about any royal family besides the Brits except in the "Around the World" paragraph blurbs.... Willem-Alexander's and Philippe's inaugerations were only a couple of paragraphs on page 7 or 8.

William and Kate's wedding was the front page, above-the-fold big picture, btw.

I was actually surprised we didn't hear from the Carlist pretenders to the Spanish throne earlier. I assumed that, like the republicans, they would seize the opportunity to voice their protest against Prince Felipe's accession.

This event was in the news in Australia. We saw republic demonstrations.

Anyone on the forum from Spain who can give first hand information on what the Spanish are feeling?

Heu...

Queen Wilhelmina had no full support of the public in 1948?
Grand Duchess Charlotte had no full support of the public in 1962?
Queen Juliana had no full support of the public in 1980?
Grand Duke Jean had no full support of the public in 2000?
Queen Beatrix had no full support of the public in 2013?

I didn´t name Wilhelmina, Charlotte, Juliana or Jean nor Beatrix!
All these sovereigns are from monarchies with abdication-tradition (in fact, abdication became only and not before popular in the NL because Queen Emma, who originally was Queen consort, had to hand over the office to her daughter who became of age).
Both Belgium and Spain had no abdication tradition before (Leopold III also abdicated only because huge resentments against him for his role in WW2).
In the Netherlands and in Luxemburg this custom works; we´ll see how in the long run things develop both in Belgium and Spain. I only hope for the best of these countries!

Monarchs like Elizabeth II or King Harald who have been anointed or at least blessed by the church should never abdicate as this tie can only be dissolved by god, in my opinion.

Duc et pair thank you for the lovely painting showing abdication

Heu...

Queen Wilhelmina had no full support of the public in 1948?
Grand Duchess Charlotte had no full support of the public in 1962?
Queen Juliana had no full support of the public in 1980?
Grand Duke Jean had no full support of the public in 2000?
Queen Beatrix had no full support of the public in 2013?

I didn´t name Wilhelmina, Charlotte, Juliana or Jean nor Beatrix!
All these sovereigns are from monarchies with abdication-tradition (in fact, abdication became only and not before popular in the NL because Queen Emma, who originally was Queen consort, had to hand over the office to her daughter who became of age).
Both Belgium and Spain had no abdication tradition before (Leopold III also abdicated only because huge resentments against him for his role in WW2).
In the Netherlands and in Luxemburg this custom works; we´ll see how in the long run things develop both in Belgium and Spain. I only hope for the best of these countries!

Monarchs like Elizabeth II or King Harald who have been anointed or at least blessed by the church should never abdicate as this tie can only be dissolved by god, in my opinion.

Juan Carlos was also blessed (and anointed) in the Jerónimos Church roughly one month after his proclamation as king by the Cortes. Although I respect your religious beliefs, modern monarchs (including Queen Elizabeth II) are not really kings/queens "by the grace of God", but rather by the will of the people represented in Parliament. Even in the UK, Parliament can depose the king or change the line of succession as shown in the cases of James II and Edward VIII.

I also think that an abdication tradition or lack thereof is not the real issue. The monarchies of Spain and Belgium are more fragile in comparison to those of, let's say, Denmark or the Netherlands because of structural problems in those countries, most notably Flemish separatism and the linguistic divide in Belgium, and long-term leftist republicanism, Catalan separatism, and, more recently, the economic crisis in Spain. Corruption scandals and other circumstantial controversies involving the Royal Family only add to those deeper, structural issues.

:previous:thank you for your excellent post addressing religious and comparing monarchies, I fully agree with your analysis and am grateful for the information re jc blessing.

Btw no mention of any of this news in my local news, only major papers like ny times and wall street journal truly for his huge historical role in guiding Spain from Franco and bravery in attempted coup,
Also, felipe bio as American educated is always mentioned

I was actually surprised we didn't hear from the Carlist pretenders to the Spanish throne earlier. I assumed that, like the republicans, they would seize the opportunity to voice their protest against Prince Felipe's accession.

That is because the Carlists are not taken au sérieux. The last Carlist pretender died unmarried and childless in 1936. The Carlist pretension was caused when King Fernando VII of Spain changed the succession in 1830. Until then it was male primogeniture, meaning that his brother Don Carlos was the Heir. The King only had two daughters. He changed the succession by removing his brother Don Carlos in favour of his eldest daughter, the underaged Doña Isabella. Three years after the change the King died, his little daughter became Queen and under influence of her Regentess, the Dowager Queen. The Carlists saw her as the machination behind all the changes.

This caused a shift and even civil wars ("Carlist Wars") between the supporters of Don Carlos and the supporters of his niece Doña Isabella and her mother the Dowager Queen. Anyway, ultimately the male line descendants of Don Carlos became extinct in 1936. With this the Carlist claims have dried up, as exactly following the old logica of male-only succession, the line of the present-day King is the rightful one.

:flowers:

The newspapers ABC and El Mundo have inventarized the deputies and between 80-90% of them will approve the Bill for the abdication of Don Juan Carlos de Borbón, King of Spain.

No problems whatsoever. Only a few separatists, leftists and mixed parliamentarians will vote against.

:previous: The process should be ended on June 18th, and then the Royal House will set the date of the proclamation.

They are talking about June 24th for the ceremony, but that isn´t official yet.

There are so many questions now ... style and role of the old kings, will they stay or move out of Zarzuela, the Asturias family moving in? JC will remain advisor for Felipe anyway, but it doesnt sound easy if the parents are still living at the same place.
Now it becomes clearer that Leonor will have a different role that Sofia and she will be groomed accordingly.
And I wonder how they will handle the workload, just the two of them, if the kings stop to be active, especially Sofia, and what about Elena?
I have been told that Infanta Elena is not a member of the Spanish royal family any more. She will have no official duties. I guess Infanta Leonor should start undertaking some official engagements.

I would think Leonor is a bit young to be taking on royal duties.

I didn't think it was that close. So exciting ;)

I hope Letizia doesn't dress the girls alike for the ceremony, Leonor will have a diferent status than her little sister, so she should be dressing diferently, unlike what happens in the Netherlands.

I think like the Netherlands and Belgium, Leonor will still have a normal school life and no official engagements, with the exception of engagements with her parents. But for solo acts, I don't think so, it's way to early, she's not 9 years old yet. Wow she will be the youngest heir in Europe for awile, even if Ingrid Alexandra and Christian became heirs now, Leonor will still be the youngest. Until Estelle gets to be first in line to throne of Sweden, Leonor will be the youngest heir for a very long time (I meant for Monarchies/King/Queen, I'm not referring Monaco right now).

Last edited:
I have been told that Infanta Elena is not a member of the Spanish royal family any more. She will have no official duties. I guess Infanta Leonor should start undertaking some official engagements.

HRH Doña Elena de Borbón y Grecia, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo, will have the same position as her aunt, HRH Doña Pilar de Borbón y Borbón, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre and her other aunt HRH Doña Margarita de Borbón y Borbón, Duchess of Soria, Duchess of Hernani.

Of course the new King and his family are the epicentre but the King's sisters, the King's parents, the King's aunts, all are born royal princes (princesses) of the House Borbón and will remain members of the extended royal family and will be treated with all due honours.

:flowers:

I don't think the status means anything to the girls they are sisters. I hope that they are treated the same as always there will be time for the importance of Leonor's title when they are older.

Her position is slightly different than that of her fathers sisters,Infanta Elena and her children are in the line of succession where as both of the Kings sisters renounced their rights and also their childrens upon marriage.

Lets wait for an official announcement regarding the Infanta Elena and her future.

Her position is slightly different than that of her fathers sisters,Infanta Elena and her children are in the line of succession where as both of the Kings sisters renounced their rights and also their childrens upon marriage.

Lets wait for an official announcement regarding the Infanta Elena and her future.

That is right, but in the newspaper El País they have heard off-the-record from La Zarzuela that Doña Elena and Doña Cristina will only so now and then do some official engagements, just like their aunts Doña Pilar and Doña Margarita incidentally had official engagements under the Reign of their brother, King Juan Carlos. The new position of the two Infantas will become comparable with that of their aunts.

I would think Leonor is a bit young to be taking on royal duties.

According to the newspaper El País, JC's daughters, Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina, will officially cease to be members of the Royal House once their brother is proclaimed the new king and, accordingly, they will no longer take any official royal duties. I wonder though if the organic law will keep Queen Sophia as part of the Royal House, which would be a great help for Letizia until her daughters are older.

I don't think the status means anything to the girls they are sisters. I hope that they are treated the same as always there will be time for the importance of Leonor's title when they are older.
I was referring to clothes, which I hope they don't dress the girls the same. About status, it should be no diferent for both of them, but their roles are clearly diferent, Leonor is a future Queen and will be first in-line in the succession to the Spanish Throne. Her role cannot be denied and unfortunately, they will be treated diferently, by the press, the population, and god forbid by their parents (not in love, they will be loved the same, but in education and preparation for their future roles, that will be diferent, just like Felipe had diferent upbrinding from his older sisters)

Last edited:
Under current law, the king's sisters are not officially part of the Royal Family, only parents and descendants of the King. Being Infanta Leonor and Sofia so young, they could find a formula for Infanta Elena continue to represent the king in some events.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia will continue to live in Zarzuela Palace, and new king and his family remain in their residence. Zarzuela will be the working office for King Felipe, he will occupy the office his father occupies now, and acts and meetings will be held there. This was said when the house of the Prince was built, and now they have confirmed it.

:ohmy:I am shocked at this news, I didn't think JC would just quick like this. I am thrilled for F/L, they are the very best that Spain has and will do wonders for the Spanish people. I have hoped for this for sometime now, he has made the last years of his time on the throne a bit of a disgrace.
Best wishes, great joy and long reign the new king and queen of Spain, F/L!

I understand from the article that the process has been set on June 18th but the date for the proclamation has yet to be confirmed?
This is what this article says as well
BBC News - Spanish politicians set out abdication timetable

Not sure, has casareal already confirmed 18th june?

Back
Top Bottom