King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Netherlands and in Belgium, there was a signing of the Act of Abdication, followed by the Investiture Ceremony. I suppose this will be the same in Spain (all on one day).

Pic: Queen Beatrix signs the Act of Abdication, after the signing she is Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, source: Zimbio
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Inauguration+King+Willem+Alexander+Queen+Beatrix+x5xnkcYi5YRx.jpg

Pic: King Willem-Alexander counter-signs the Act of Abdication as a witness, source: Zimbio
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Inauguration+King+Willem+Alexander+Queen+Beatrix+gK536PTJshEx.jpg

Pic: the Act of Abdication itself, source: Zimbio
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Inauguration+King+Willem+Alexander+Queen+Beatrix+aDptgAUNgIzx.jpg

Pic: the Investiture after the abdication, source: Zimbio
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/King+Willem+Alexander+Inauguration+King+Willem+tXEjHasuNd1x.jpg

I think Spain will follow the examples of the Netherlands and Belgium.

:flowers:

As I said yesterday, what was done when Juan Carlos was proclaimed king, can not now be repeated. The king was proclaimed with Franco laws, and then there was a process of reforms to the Constitution of 78.

In the press there are many speculations, so we just have to wait, for the Royal House to confirmations.

Yes Duc, probably the king officially sign the abdication in a ceremony at the Royal Palace. And perhaps in this ceremony we will see the sisters of the king and even the Infanta Cristina.

In other words, Juan Carlos had sworn in under completely different circumstances and laws. On June 18th the process will differ.
I too think that Leonor will become Princess of Asturias immediately.

King to lose immunity along with throne | In English | EL PAÍS
King Juan Carlos's reign in Spain ends amid falling popularity and bungling | World news | theguardian.com
King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates: Spanish government clears way for Prince Felipe to be crowned before the end of the month - Europe - World - The Independent

I am curious about the future role of the old king and the immunity issue. 2 paternity lawsuits are looming and if people decide digging there could be worse.
Furthermore, the old kings seem to remain in Zarzuela I with F&L remaining in Zarzuela II, how easy will it be for Felipe to clean house with the old king and his men still around?

The King and Queen will be removed to the residential part of Zarzuela, and all area offices and reception rooms will be available to the new king.

Prince Felipe will place his own team that will now be free to act, until now they had to fulfill the orders of the King team.

Spottorno, Chief of the House of the King, had worked there before and was recovered in times of crisis, but he has 69 years. Probably like him, there are others who are past retirement age but are still maintained there for confidence of the King and Queen.

King to lose immunity along with throne | In English | EL PAÍS
King Juan Carlos's reign in Spain ends amid falling popularity and bungling | World news | theguardian.com
King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates: Spanish government clears way for Prince Felipe to be crowned before the end of the month - Europe - World - The Independent

I am curious about the future role of the old king and the immunity issue. 2 paternity lawsuits are looming and if people decide digging there could be worse.
Furthermore, the old kings seem to remain in Zarzuela I with F&L remaining in Zarzuela II, how easy will it be for Felipe to clean house with the old king and his men still around?

Yeah, the immunity issue is something, that may become a boomerang for JC :whistling:.

For the Zarzuela situation, I do not see a major problem here. I think, that the NEW King may want to remain in their villa anyway.

And the "grey men"? Well, they will have exactly this amount of power, what the NEW King is intending to give to them.
The old king wont have any official power any more, so it is up to Felipe to decide, whether he wants to keep them or fire them.
Due to the negative "politics" in Zarzuela against the CP Couple during the last years I hope he will get rid of some of the biggest internal enemies.

BYe Bine

I'm curious about this. I know there have been rumors for several years about king JC and other women, but I've never heard anything about paternity lawsuits?

According to the press, Zarzuela has confirmed the dates.

On June 18, King Juan Carlos will sign the law of abdication at the Royal Palace

On June 19, King Felipe VI will be proclaimed in the Parliament

So does Felipe become King on 18th when his father abdicates?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes, when King Juan Carlos signs the document, Felipe becomes king.

President Nazarbaev stated in the telegram that King Juan Carlos was courageous to step aside and give a new generation an opportunity to reign. King Juan Carlos was said to be President Nazarbaev's friend.

Last edited:
Well, that is what I call a true and gentlemanlike reaction. I hope Maria Vladimirovna took notice of that. Who would have thought Mr Nazarbayev would teach her a lesson in that.

Thanks for your translation of the core message.

Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil, gave a interview saying he regrets The King's decision but that Monarchy is the best thing for Spain and for democracy.

Yes, when King Juan Carlos signs the document, Felipe becomes king.

No, not officialy.

In fact the solemn act of sign in the Royal Palace is slated to take place, if all remain as predicted, one day before of the ceremony of proclamation of Felipe VI.

The abdication will be official and will take legal effect only when the Organic Law ruling the Abdication of Juan Carlos I, now in process of aproval by the Congress and Senate, has been published in the B.O.E. (Boletín Oficial del Estado / State Official Gazette) not before. To prevent interegnum circunstances, the Law will be published the same day of the Proclamation.

Yes Rhys, it seems that finally they will do that. There was much speculation about how they were going to "play" with the law firm and the publication in the Official Gazette.

Ms Alvarez' nauseating self publicism says more about her, than it does about the future Queen of Spain !

:eek:You can't chose family but you sure can chose your friends who can become family. If that was my aunt, she would be in a darn dungeon for sure and her mouth taped shut. Horrible jealous woman with nothing to show in her life but her big mouth...........You go :flowers:L/F and long may you reign:flowers:!

By all means express an opinion that one would prefer a republic, but to do so in such a blatant and public way when one's own niece is about to become queen is rather common and undignified I would say.

Ms Alvarez' nauseating self publicism says more about her, than it does about the future Queen of Spain !

Ms Alvarez has every rigth to think whatever she wants but has behaved very inelegantly and opportunisticaly.

I don't know much about this lovely aunt,is she an attention seeker like the cousin who wrote that awful book?

she is the sister of Letizia's father (the cousin is the son of her mother's brother). the whole family has always been republican.

Interesting article about the lead-up to the announcement. It seems only Felipe (and staff) was in the loop.
How King Juan Carlos revealed his abdication secret | In English | EL PAÍS

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app

I can easily believe that Sofia was only informed about JC stepping down, not involved in the decision.
I am curious on how the couple JC and Sofia move forward. Will JC remain behind the scenes or will he keep out, spending a lot of time abroad, possibly with Corinna??? :whistling:
Sofia has good chances to keep her standing as Queen, albeit 'senior queen' but still, the respect is hers, Letizia will still not dare stepping on her toes, Felipe is a mama's boy, he won't do anything that upsets or downgrades his mother, she'll be keeping all her perks if she wants to. F&L need an additional hard worker to cover events, that would be Sofia.
I wonder if she keeps her secretary and staff since I believe she has moved quite independently within Zarzuela without JC controlling her every step.

Back
Top Bottom