Investiture of King Juan Carlos: November 22, 1975

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
King Juan Carlos Investiture
November 22, 1975

NDKQM8R.jpg

A place to talk about when and where King Juan Carlos was sworn in as King of Spain

Last edited:
Footage of the Enthronement Mass of the Holy Spirit at the Church of San Jerónimo el Real de Madrid.In the congregation you can see President Patrick Hillery of Ireland,the Duke of Edinburgh,Prince Rainier III,Princess Grace,King Baudouin of Belgium,Queen Fabiola,Infantas Alicia,Pilar and Margarita,Princess Irene and the King & Queen of Greece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQEFSU4EIE

Thank you for directing me here, An Ard Ri!!! :flowers: What a high-profile event and what a beautiful era the 70's in general! I love their fashion!

You're welcome,Her Majesty Queen Sofia was both regal & stunning at both ceremonies.

Absolutely! I wonder, was the Queen's mother alive at the time? She wouldn't have missed the event. ;)

Queen Federica, I mean. Sofia's mother. Was she present, I didn't see her in the videos. ;)

Queen Federica, I mean. Sofia's mother. Was she present, I didn't see her in the videos. ;)

No I didn't see Frederica of Hanover at the ceremony,her son and daughter and daughter in law were all present.

No I didn't see Frederica of Hanover at the ceremony,her son and daughter and daughter in law were all present.

Belated thank you for the reply! :flowers: Frederica was still alive though. I checked it out, she died in 1981. ;)

Can you identify the orders that Queen Sofía is wearing?

I read on Wikipedia that she also wore the insignia of the (dormant) order of the Noble Dames of Queen Maria Luisa, but I cannot identify them. The sash appears to be of the order of Charles III and I can't figure out what she is wearing on her left shoulder/chest.

The Order of Maria Luisa is the black (or dark blue)/white minature sash she is wearing.

Video of the proclamation mass

I wonder why King Felipe VI did away with the inauguration mass. While it is true that Roman Catholicism ceased to be the official state religion in 1978, I don't see why, as a privately Catholic King, he would not want to have a mass in Thanksgiving for his accession. I don't see either how that would be different for example from his having a wedding mass or, I imagine, a funeral mass.

Keep in mind that, while the constitution says that: " No religion shall have a state character", it still nonetheless also says that: "The public powers shall take into account the religious beliefs of Spanish society and maintain the appropriate relations of cooperation, with the Catholic Church and other denominations".

Last edited:
I wonder why King Felipe VI did away with the inauguration mass. While it is true that Roman Catholicism ceased to be the official state religion in 1978, I don't see why, as a privately Catholic King, he would not want to have a mass in Yhanksgiving for his accession. I don't see either how that would be different for example from his having a wedding mass or, I imagine, a funeral mass.

Keep in mind that, while the constitution says that: " No religion shall have a state character", it still nonetheless also says that: "The public powers shall take into account the religious beliefs of Spanish society and maintain the appropriate relations of cooperation, with the Catholic Church and other denominations".

King Felipe VI had a mass, but in private in the chapel of the Palace of Zarzuela.
I don't think there was an official mass, let's say, precisely for this reason, the constitution has no official religion.

Did the press report any news that Juan Carlos would use Juan III as his regnal name?

Back
Top Bottom