The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2021, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal House says King Juan Carlos is not in serious condition.

"Given some supposed information about the state of health of His Majesty King John Charles, sources of the House of S.M. the King point out that they have no basis".
https://www.semana.es/casas-reales/f...215-002314594/

¡HOLA! he has contacted King Juan Carlos and said: "I am perfectly fine. I do two hours of gymnastics a day and I feel great."
https://www.hola.com/realeza/espana/...-declaraciones

Cope's exclusive photograph demonstrating the good health of Don Juan Carlos
COPE accesses an image taken two days ago in Abu Dhabi in which King Emeritus is seen with Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed.
https://www.cope.es/actualidad/espan...mpression=true

Another photo:
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_es...s-en-abu-dabi/

Old 02-15-2021, 04:44 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

If the king is in a serious condition a move back to his own country would be for the best. But it seems that the palace denies that there are any reasons for great concern considering the King's health. That means that the visits of the Infantas Cristina and Elena to their father must have been for other reasons.

The man is 83 years old. Dispite his faults he has done a lot for the country, and was a pivotal figure in the transformation from dictatorship to democracy. There are heads of state who have behaved in a far, far more problematic manner and who were/are able to spend their last years quietly in their own country.

To cut of an elderly & frail man of from his children and grandchildren seems rather inhumane, petty and vindictive to me. It can only be for the best if the monarchy is indeed that shaky.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Seems it was just silly tabloid rumours and the Royal House has now dismissed the reports about King Juan Carlos being seriously ill.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
To cut of an elderly & frail man of from his children and grandchildren seems rather inhumane, petty and vindictive to me. It can only be for the best if the monarchy is indeed that shaky.
The fact that he lives abroad doesn't mean that he has been cut off from his children and grandchildren.
The daughters just visited, and perhaps the grandchildren chat through skype/zoom twice a week. We just wouldn't know it.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Aristocracy

I would not be surprised if this was true. The latest photos certainly show a very frail old man.

Whilst I wish the Emeritus the best of health and in no way wish him ill, his demise during the pandemic would certainly make things easier for the Monarchy.

It would allow them to hold a private funeral citing Covid restrictions and avoid the headache that would be how to officially and publicly mourn a former Head of State who was subject to investigation for financial impropriety.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

To be fair at the moment being overseas away from family is not as huge an issue as it may have been as people can not meet up as easily anyway. Likely even if he was in Spain JC would only be speaking to his grandchildren online anyway.
I’m sure no one wants to see a former Sovereign face his final moments alone overseas and if they felt that was close they would take action, a government or private plane could be arranged quickly.
Interesting to see JC pictured openly with middle eastern royalty given the investigations into his finances.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Had it been very serious I think we'd have seen queen Sofia going to Abu Dhabi possibly with one or both of her daughters.

For now Case Real has dismissed the reports as false.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I think so, too. By the time King Juan Carlos' health worsens, I'm sure he'll return to Spain somehow.
I believe he will end his days in Spain surrounded by his family.
He's got all kinds of care in Abu Dhabi.
I think Pilar Eyre was misinduced, and she was wrong to break the news.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

I always thought a return to Spain would be on the cards if his health declined seriously however, strategically for the institution it is better if JC remains abroad. I wouldn't expect to see Sofia travel to Abu Dhabi - I think she will be conscious to disassociate herself from her husband in the public's eye, so can remain as untarnished as possible and continue to have a public role within Casa Real.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The only instance I can see Queen Sofia going to the middle East would be if the old king's health took a turn for the worst but not on a holiday.
I cannot recall the last time we saw Don Juan Carlos and his wife together.

The fact that Queen Sofia has so far not paid a visit to Abu Dhabi makes believe for now it was simply just a tabloid story.

Leave Don Juan Carlos where he is for now.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Queen Sofia has received a COVID-19 vaccination, the Palace released a short statement about it:

"Her Majesty, Queen Sofía, has been vaccinated against COVID-19 this afternoon at the El Pardo-Fuencarral Health Center, by virtue of the protocols established by the health authorities."

** hola article: La reina Sofía ha sido vacunada contra el coronavirus **

Tags
audio, basque, juan carlos i, queen sofia, sofia (1938 -), spain, vacation