General News about King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The King Juan Carlos has sent a statement that has been broadcast by the COPE radio network, King Juan Carlos says that he will not return to Spain for Christmas due to the Covid pandemic. He had planned to travel to Spain for Christmas but he is a high risk person, so he will stay in the Arab country.
After this statement, the press has begun to publish everything in an altered way and spread the rumor that he was in a hospital admitted for covid. Even a journalist dared to say that it was cosmetic surgery, this is tremendous, everyone the journalists wants to be protagonists.
They are capable of making up anything by implying that they have the exclusive.

Pilar Eyre, Queen Sofia's biographer, wrote a book about JC and is trying to promote it by bringing up old stories about Queen Sofia that have been publicly discussed for ages, adding ridiculous stories that she hates Spain, doesn't even speak Spanish or has neglected her daughters in favor of Felipe.
https://www.explica.co/he-has-always-been-against-homosexual-unions/

One wonders why these 'revelations' were not used in her biograpbhy of the queen herself?

But indeed, I am sure it will increase sales, which is probably why these statements were included.

What a load of tosh! Nothing new here

It must be silly season in Spain and shame on Pilar Eyre's ever cheap shots.

:previous:I like this, that the Infantas visit their father. King Juan Carlos is in poor health.

King Juan Carlos, in serious condition. Casa Real values his transfer to Spain

https://translate.googleusercontent..._97131&usg=ALkJrhivTx8zzB1igTUouzRqK4T_-kJ9zg

https://www.lecturas.com/actualidad/casas-reales/rey-juan-carlos-estado-grave-abu-dabi_97131

"Royal House denies that King Juan Carlos is in serious condition. "Faced with some alleged information about the state of health of the Majesty of him the King don Juan Carlos, sources from the House of HM the King indicate that they have no basis.""

"Núria Tiburcio
@nuriatiburcio

Casa Real niega que el rey Juan Carlos esté grave. “Ante algunas supuestas informaciones sobre el estado de salud de Su Majestad el Rey don Juan Carlos, fuentes de la Casa de SM el Rey señalan que no tienen ningún fundamento”."

Last edited:
The Royal House says King Juan Carlos is not in serious condition.

"Given some supposed information about the state of health of His Majesty King John Charles, sources of the House of S.M. the King point out that they have no basis".
https://www.semana.es/casas-reales/...uan-carlos-niega-gravedad-20210215-002314594/

¡HOLA! he has contacted King Juan Carlos and said: "I am perfectly fine. I do two hours of gymnastics a day and I feel great."
https://www.hola.com/realeza/espana/20210215301102/rey-juan-carlos-salud-declaraciones

Cope's exclusive photograph demonstrating the good health of Don Juan Carlos
COPE accesses an image taken two days ago in Abu Dhabi in which King Emeritus is seen with Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed.
https://www.cope.es/actualidad/espa...bi-20210215_1141061?__twitter_impression=true

Another photo:
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_espanola/20210215184423/rey-juan-carlos-en-abu-dabi/

Last edited:
If the king is in a serious condition a move back to his own country would be for the best. But it seems that the palace denies that there are any reasons for great concern considering the King's health. That means that the visits of the Infantas Cristina and Elena to their father must have been for other reasons.

The man is 83 years old. Dispite his faults he has done a lot for the country, and was a pivotal figure in the transformation from dictatorship to democracy. There are heads of state who have behaved in a far, far more problematic manner and who were/are able to spend their last years quietly in their own country.

To cut of an elderly & frail man of from his children and grandchildren seems rather inhumane, petty and vindictive to me. It can only be for the best if the monarchy is indeed that shaky.

Last edited:
Seems it was just silly tabloid rumours and the Royal House has now dismissed the reports about King Juan Carlos being seriously ill.

To cut of an elderly & frail man of from his children and grandchildren seems rather inhumane, petty and vindictive to me. It can only be for the best if the monarchy is indeed that shaky.

The fact that he lives abroad doesn't mean that he has been cut off from his children and grandchildren.
The daughters just visited, and perhaps the grandchildren chat through skype/zoom twice a week. We just wouldn't know it.

I would not be surprised if this was true. The latest photos certainly show a very frail old man.

Whilst I wish the Emeritus the best of health and in no way wish him ill, his demise during the pandemic would certainly make things easier for the Monarchy.

It would allow them to hold a private funeral citing Covid restrictions and avoid the headache that would be how to officially and publicly mourn a former Head of State who was subject to investigation for financial impropriety.

To be fair at the moment being overseas away from family is not as huge an issue as it may have been as people can not meet up as easily anyway. Likely even if he was in Spain JC would only be speaking to his grandchildren online anyway.
I’m sure no one wants to see a former Sovereign face his final moments alone overseas and if they felt that was close they would take action, a government or private plane could be arranged quickly.
Interesting to see JC pictured openly with middle eastern royalty given the investigations into his finances.

Had it been very serious I think we'd have seen queen Sofia going to Abu Dhabi possibly with one or both of her daughters.

For now Case Real has dismissed the reports as false.

:previous:
Yes, I think so, too. By the time King Juan Carlos' health worsens, I'm sure he'll return to Spain somehow.
I believe he will end his days in Spain surrounded by his family.
He's got all kinds of care in Abu Dhabi.
I think Pilar Eyre was misinduced, and she was wrong to break the news.

I always thought a return to Spain would be on the cards if his health declined seriously however, strategically for the institution it is better if JC remains abroad. I wouldn't expect to see Sofia travel to Abu Dhabi - I think she will be conscious to disassociate herself from her husband in the public's eye, so can remain as untarnished as possible and continue to have a public role within Casa Real.

The only instance I can see Queen Sofia going to the middle East would be if the old king's health took a turn for the worst but not on a holiday.
I cannot recall the last time we saw Don Juan Carlos and his wife together.

The fact that Queen Sofia has so far not paid a visit to Abu Dhabi makes believe for now it was simply just a tabloid story.

Leave Don Juan Carlos where he is for now.

Queen Sofia and her sister Princess Irene were seen leaving the El Pardo health Centre in Madrid today, where Irene received her second vaccination dose. The days before they had spent some days on the island of Mallorca:

** hola article **

Hola released a video to mark the 83rd Birthday of the King's Mother

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes, anybody could speculate that Juan Carlos might visit his brother in law in hospital. Over the past decade, he hasn't been attending many (if any!) Greek family celebrations/functions, so while it is possible, I am not so sure he would change his ways...

If he would come to Athens i would say that would be rather worrying because it could be that King Constantine's health state is very bad.

If he were to go to Greece, he'd likely see Sofia for the first time since August 2020. While that probably wouldn't be an issue, it might be more than a little awkward. (Who knows if she's at all interested in running into him.)

I can't actually recall the last time we saw King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia together,its been a long long time.
Out of memory it may have been at the Funeral of The Infanta Pilar?

Back
Top Bottom