King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was never any question of Alfonso Borbon Dampierre being named heir. Franco had many bad qualities but nepotism wasn’t one of them. When Alfonso BD married Carmen Franco, that’s when his realistic chances went down the gurgler. Besides Alfonso BD had no credibility with the military and didn’t speak Spanish properly. It would have been more likely that Franco would have appointed his right hand man whose name escapes me at the moment as his successor and the “kingdom without a king” ruse would have continued.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about that period of Spanish history, but, from what I read, Alfonso was indeed a Plan B for Franco and was seriously considered as a candidate to the throne. And it had nothing to do with nepotism, but rather doubts about JC's genuine loyalty to Francoism, which, in the long run, proved to be true, as JC, upon becoming King, embarked on a path of regime change that would immediately lead to the redemocratization of Spain under the 1978 model of constitutional monarchy.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about that period of Spanish history, but, from what I read, Alfonso was indeed a Plan B for Franco and was seriously considered as a candidate to the throne. And it had nothing to do with nepotism, but rather doubts about JC's genuine loyalty to Francoism, which, in the long run, proved to be true, as JC, upon becoming King, embarked on a path of regime change that would immediately lead to the redemocratization of Spain under the 1978 model of constitutional monarchy.

I’m going from what i’ve Read in Paul Prestons bio of JC, who was also a major biographer of Franco. There was a faction called “the bunker” headed by Carmen Polo that lobbied for Alfonso BD as successor but the reformist faction surrounding JC got the upper hand.

He had a much different role than any other monarch of his generation, because he succeeded a dictator and had to bring democracy to a country, we're greateful for the latter but that doesn't mean he won't go down in history as a cheating, lying con-man.
You can be a great monarch and still be those things, it's not mutually exclusive.

From what i’ve gathered, JC was more of a hinderance than a help in the transistion and frequently undermined and undercut Suarez to preserve his own position. He also interfered and intrigued to try and keep Felipe Gonzalez and PSOE out of office despite them having the most electoral support as he saw them as a threat to his own position, and only accepted them as a government with great reluctance. Not a very democratic thing to do. JC only reluctantly went along with the transistion because he wanted to remain king, he is an entitled narcissist and the only thing he cares about is himself and his own comfort. The real credit for Spain’s transistion to democracy belongs to the people who demanded better and by and large got it.

These two columns are from 4/5 years ago but sum up my line of thinking on the subject.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/03/king-juan-carlos-legacy-spain-cliche-democracy

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/06/king-juan-carlos-spain-fairytale

Last edited:
There was never any question of Alfonso Borbon Dampierre being named heir. Franco had many bad qualities but nepotism wasn’t one of them. When Alfonso BD married Carmen Franco, that’s when his realistic chances went down the gurgler. Besides Alfonso BD had no credibility with the military and didn’t speak Spanish properly. It would have been more likely that Franco would have appointed his right hand man whose name escapes me at the moment as his successor and the “kingdom without a king” ruse would have continued.

The Generalissimo knew the Roman adagium: divide et empera.
He was the puppetmaster and used Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón, Don Alfonso de Borbón y Dampierre and Don Carlos Hugo de Borbón-Parma y Borbón as useful pawns. This means that Don Juan, the Conde de Barcelona, (very much disliked by Franco) could never be sure that his son Juan Carlos would become Heir, so the future of the Borbóns remained in limbo. It was important at least to secure the finances, regardless the outcome of Franco's succession.

Last edited:
Apparently Corinna also talks about some shady dealings regarding the AVE a la Meca (high speed train to Mecca). If I understand it correctly the king wanted to (and did) receive ten thousands of millions as an intermediate, claimimg he made the whole project possible, so for his role as the one connecting the real intermediate witn the Saudi king he expected to receive half of the commision (under the table). Corinna tried to convince the king not to do this as it would be illegal and he could end up in prison. His response: "You are so German."

how absolutely frustrating. i think if this was true, the SRF would not survive another scandal. i hope someone investigates this.

another part of me thinks this is revenge on corinna's part, but i still think this should be investigated. it is not too hard: check corinna's properties and ask her in court how she financed them. then move on to investigate JC and his accounts to spot potential illegal enrichment.

Doesn't King Juan Carlos have immunity from prosecution now? Wasn't that one of the conditions that was agreed on as part of his abdication? So even though these deals may now be spoken of openly, it isn't as though he will go to prison. However, I do see how it may cause difficulties for the SRF.

i would hope he does not hold immunity any longer. his son does, and my understanding is that it is the only one but this family is certainly anything from clean, from what we have seen, so it would not surprise me if JC made himself untouchable following his abdication.

the government has consulted the courts on whether JC has immunity. the answer seems quite unclear, honestly. officially, he does not have immunity since his abdication, but it would seem there is some immunity for him if he carries out certain activities in representation of the crown, and it would appear from the wording that he has immunity over what happened when he was king.

El Gobierno consulta sobre la inviolabilidad del Rey Juan Carlos | España

it is a rather unclear situation.

the government when asked why they posed the question to the courts said that they do not intend to pursue, they just wanted to understand whether he does or does not have immunity, making the situation even more confusing as why on earth would they ask otherwise...

to be continued, i guess.

:previous: He’s got a partial immunity from regular criminal charges and certain private suits (ie the paternity cases - what happened to those?). However, he’s not immune from the Supreme Court and unconstutional actions. If the Spanish government really wanted to get him than coming up with a creative legal fudge to do so based around unconstitutional actions as opposed to criminal activites would not be impossible. However, i don’t think anything will happen, it’s too embarrassing and messy for the Spanish government and will probably will all get swept under the carpet after he dies.

With this in mind I don’t think Corrina will be facing criminal action either - I don’t think you can be extradited from Monaco to Spain (the European arrest warrant notwithstanding) and the evidence against her would also Implicate a lot of others in spain not just JC - I could well be wrong (I hope I am) but .... yeah, nah.

It’s a shame Baltasar Garzon isn’t allowed to carry out investigations any more in Spain as this seems like a perfect fit for him. That and I’d like to see him get JC on the stand.

Another part of me thinks this is revenge on corinna's part, but i still think this should be investigated. it is not too hard: check corinna's properties and ask her in court how she financed them. then move on to investigate JC and his accounts to spot potential illegal enrichment.

The recording was made back in 2015 to a senior Spanish policeman who is now under investigation for blackmail and illegal evidence hoarding. The recording was leaked to the media as an attempt by said cop to sabotage the court case and charges against him. It’s uncertain under what circumstances the recording was made, and more importantly whether it was part of an investigation by the police or if Corinna went to them. The fact the recording was made in London might possibly suggest the police went to her not the other way around.

Last edited:
the government has consulted the courts on whether JC has immunity. the answer seems quite unclear, honestly. officially, he does not have immunity since his abdication, but it would seem there is some immunity for him if he carries out certain activities in representation of the crown, and it would appear from the wording that he has immunity over what happened when he was king.

El Gobierno consulta sobre la inviolabilidad del Rey Juan Carlos | España

it is a rather unclear situation.

the government when asked why they posed the question to the courts said that they do not intend to pursue, they just wanted to understand whether he does or does not have immunity, making the situation even more confusing as why on earth would they ask otherwise...

to be continued, i guess.

I am no expert, but the interpretation that Juan Carlos has immunity for acts practiced as king, but has lost that immunity following his abdication seems reasonable. The same principle applies in some other countries to a regent (i.e. someone who is exercising the royal prerogative on the king's behalf). But I will wait for the Spanish Constitutional Court to rule on the matter, if it comes to it. Personally, I am not sure it will because the tapes themselves and the reasons why they were leaked are under suspicion.

The only point that is clear is that Felipe VI himself and, actually, no other reigning king or queen in Europe can be prosecuted as they have sovereign immunity.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Are the corruption allegations true? I mean I find it rather suspicious that so far only a few articles have appeared about the possible corruption allegations. Also how do we know that this German aristocrat isn't making this up? Still, do you think that the Spanish monarchy has much time left? :ermm:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cecili...archy-mired-in-new-ugly-scandal/#5ce7d7c1480a

-Frozen Royalist

Fru Corinna Larsen, formerly Mrs Philip Adkins, formerly Frau Prinzessin zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, is not "a German aristocrat" but a Danish-born monegasque socialite. And the Spanish monarchy has plenty of time, why not?

Last edited:
Are the corruption allegations true? I mean I find it rather suspicious that so far only a few articles have appeared about the possible corruption allegations. Also how do we know that this German aristocrat isn't making this up? Still, do you think that the Spanish monarchy has much time left? :ermm:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cecili...archy-mired-in-new-ugly-scandal/#5ce7d7c1480a

-Frozen Royalist

The probability of the Spanish monarchy being abolished in this generation is very low.

The probability of the Spanish monarchy being abolished in this generation is very low.

I see the monarchy to be abolished in the Netherlands or Sweden, earlier than in Belgium or Spain.

Reason: the stable democracies and societies of the Netherlands and Sweden can easily "handle" a shift from a monarchy to a republic.

In Belgium and Spain however, the monarchy and the Constutution are very linked to the very core existence of the state. Any proposed change will open Pandora's Box, will open a can of worms and is likely to have a seismic effect on the state and in society.

So weirdly enough a calm, prosperous and stable society will easier swap, simply because liberal and progressive people will possibly have a majority and find a monarchy an anomaly in a 21st C state. In Spain and in Belgium this will not be different, but there other centrifugal powers play a role: the separatistic and secessionist movements.

Doña Leonor's future looks more safe than those of Princess Catharina-Amalia or Princess Estelle.

Last edited:
I see the monarchy to be abolished in the Netherlands or Sweden, earlier than in Belgium or Spain.

Reason: the stable democracies and societies of the Netherlands and Sweden can easily "handle" a shift from a monarchy to a republic.

In Belgium and Spain however, the monarchy and the Constutution are very linked to the very core existence of the state. Any proposed change will open Pandora's Box, will open a can of worms and is likely to have a seismic effect on the state and in society.

So weirdly enough a calm, prosperous and stable society will easier swap, simply because liberal and progressive people will possibly have a majority and find a monarchy an anomaly in a 21st C state. In Spain and in Belgium this will not be different, but there other centrifugal powers play a role: the separatistic and secessionist movements.

Doña Leonor's future looks more safe than those of Princess Catharina-Amalia or Princess Estelle.

I agree about a possible abolishment being easy compared to Spain, but especially in the Netherlands the royals are extremely popular, partly thanks to megawatt-Maxima, from this perspective becoming the monarch might still be a burden for CA but nothing compared to what Leonor will be facing.

The Spanish monarchy might be more difficult to abolish but the hostile climate and constant harrassment and cross fire from different sides will make the life of a possible Queen Leonor of Spain very, very hard to bear.

As Prince Claus once said (not a quote but the meaning), at some point there won't be any people left who want to do the job, because of the circumstances and the way they are being treated.

I agree about a possible abolishment being easy compared to Spain, but especially in the Netherlands the royals are extremely popular, partly thanks to megawatt-Maxima, from this perspective becoming the monarch might still be a burden for CA but nothing compared to what Leonor will be facing.

The Spanish monarchy might be more difficult to abolish but the hostile climate and constant harrassment and cross fire from different sides will make the life of a possible Queen Leonor of Spain very, very hard to bear.

As Prince Claus once said (not a quote but the meaning), at some point there won't be any people left who want to do the job, because of the circumstances and the way they are being treated.
As Duc often points out there is a difference in a royal being popular and people approving of the monarchy itself. It was often said about Spain before the abdication that many Spaniards was more Juan-Carloists than royalists. Now we know that the situation is more complicated than that but there's still a feeling, to me, of that Felipe is the monarchy's last chance.
In Sweden, while most people are still in favour of the monarchy, many of the younger generations feel that even if they like and respect Victoria the monarchy itself is outdated and not compatible with modern society.

Yes, Queen Máxima is extremely popular and even the King is surprisingly well-liked. But their personal scores are higher than the preference for a constitution in which the head of state is "delivered" by hereditary succession.

So in the Netherlands (and I think in Sweden) the support for a monarchy erodes despite the popularity of the royal family. We can see the same in Romania. The late King Michael was well-liked and held in high esteem. This did not translate in a desire for a restoration of the monarchy.

I can see a swap in the Netherlands or Sweden in which the monarchy is ended, all in a prudent manner, with an arrangement in which the former royal family will keep the Crown Domains and with a financial settlement, like has been done in many former German monarchies.

In Spain, any change of a Constitution will stir a debate about secessionist states like Catalonia or Pays Basque. The same in Belgium. So weird enough in these two "not so stable" constitutions the monarchy has more prospect than in the "stable" Netherlands or Sweden. Even despite the hiccups around Don Juan Carlos and Doña Cristina. But that is my personal assessment.

Last edited:
Why "suprisingly"?

For a long time, as Prince of Orange, he never scored that high in popularity polls (but neither did his mother Queen Beatrix anyway).

For a long time, as Prince of Orange, he never scored that high in popularity polls (but neither did his mother Queen Beatrix anyway).

People called him 'Prince Pils' in the earlier years, WA had the image of being lazy and not interested in duty.
He is a prime example of how the right choice of wife can make all the difference.

People called him 'Prince Pils' in the earlier years, WA had the image of being lazy and not interested in duty.
He is a prime example of how the right choice of wife can make all the difference.

The same can be said about Prince Philippe, the Duke of Brabant. His choice for Mathilde certainly enhanced him. Also there a success formula. Also there the imago of the Heir was quite poor but his kingship has turned out to be pretty stable, even more than under his father King Albert II we may say.

I am not sure Doña Letizia has enhanced Don Felipe's profile. In my eye the Prince of Asturias already made a strong and promising impression. So there was nothing in need for improvement, let me say. Despite the separatism in Catalonia, the outlook of Spain and the monarchy is pretty healthy,

Last edited:

My humble impression is that, although there is a strong republican sentiment especially on the left, the political and social elite in Spain is still mostly monarchist, which makes it difficult to initiate a serious move towards a republic.

Besides, the fact that politicians in Spain are seen by the Spaniards themselves as being mostly corrupt might make it less likely that there would be support for replacing the King with an elected president, who would be another politician after all.

My humble impression is that, although there is a strong republican sentiment especially on the left, the political and social elite in Spain is still mostly monarchist, which makes it difficult to initiate a serious move towards a republic. Besides, the fact that politicians in Spain are seen by the Spaniards themselves as being mostly corrupt might make it less likely that there would be support for replacing the King with an elected president, who would be another politician after all.

It’s not so much about corruption per se (althouth its an important factor) as it is about regionalism and ethinicty. Republican sentiment, when regional separatism (Catalonia, Galicia, the Basque Country, etc...) is factored out isn’t actually that high. I remember an interview I read somwhere with Paul Preston, who pointed out that there is no realistic possibility of a Catalan, or a Basque* for that matter, becoming prime minister of Spain at present. The likelihood of somebody from one of those groups becoming president of a third spanish republic is less likely as the abolition of the monarchy would in effect lead to the breakup of the spanish state. The monarchy, despite the royal family’s issues, will probably remain in place as the alternative is deemed by the powers that be as worse.

* I am aware of the fact that Mariano Rajoy and Franco were from Galicia.

That is totally incorrect. Moreover, at present, the politician best valued by the Spaniards, is Albert Rivera, of Ciudadanos, Albert is Catalan, and has achieved excellent results in the Spanish elections. It is even very curious, the best results of Albert Rivera have been in Madrid. Spanish would never vote for a member of a pro-independence political party as Prime Minister( In no country do I believe that people would vote for a political party that only represents a small portion of its territory, it is mathematical logic).

Spaniards never vote in attention to the region from which the person comes, it is irrelevant to us that he was born in Barcelona or Bilbao, this is irrelevant for us, we , the Spaniards always vote according to political and ideological formation.

Franco was not elected democratically, He was a dictator, Rajoy was elected democratically, by his ideology and political formation.
The Spanish monarchy can perfectly endure, with popular support or not. I have read the reason in this same forum. Spaniards are like Italians, a time has come when the country's political crisis leads people to think:
Politician = corruption. In Spain people would not vote for a constitutional reform, as has happened in Italy, why? because who proposes to reform the constitution are the politicians.

Last edited:
Is there any change in this front with the latest revelations regarding Juan Carlos financial dealings before he resigned...?

King Felipe Renounces Inheritance of King Juan Carlos - 2020

The King Felipe VI renounces the inheritance of Don Juan Carlos.
Don Juan Carlos will stop receiving the allocation he receives from the Budgets of the Casa del Rey.

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/abci-renuncia-herencia-juan-carlos-202003151948_noticia.html

https://www.rtve.es/noticias/202003...publica-rey-emerito-juan-carlos/2010101.shtml

King Felipe VI has renounced the inheritance that may personally correspond to him from his father, Don Juan Carlos, as well as any asset, investment or financial structure whose origin may not be in accordance with the law or with criteria of rectitude.

This has been indicated by Royal House through a statement in which it also reports that don Juan Carlos no longer receives the allocation that he has set in the budgets of the House of His Majesty the King.

https://www.rtve.es/contenidos/documentos/comunicado_casa_real_herencia_juan_carlos.pdf

https://www.casareal.es/ES/AreaPrensa/Paginas/area_prensa_comunicados_interior.aspx?data=112

Last edited:
Recently the press has published information about the alleged participation of Juan Carlos in foundations in tax havens, it seems that it was his ex-friend Corinna who was behind these leaks.

The latest information has been that supposedly (there are no documents proving anything), King Felipe had been designated as heir to these funds to administer for the entire family. One of the foundations no longer exists, and most of the money in it was received by Corinna, according to her as a "gift".

Now King Felipe has come out to answer... He was not aware of anything until a London law firm (the Royal House does not say it but they are Corinna's lawyers) sent him a letter last year (they do not clarify with what intentions they did) where they said it but without no document proving it. King Felipe sent the letter to the authorities, and made a notarial act explaining his ignorance, and that neither he nor in the name of his daughter had accepted anything.

King Felipe also informed his father, King Juan Carlos, who acknowledges that he never informed his son about the foundations.

King Felipe officially communicates that he renounces the inheritance that corresponds to him from his father, and that he withdraws the money he receives from the Royal House.

King Juan Carlos deigns a lawyer to report on the issue from now on.

http://cadenaser00.epimg.net/descargables/2020/03/15/754247944946128e1f571171a0d7fba9.pdf

Back
Top Bottom