80th Birthday Celebrations of King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia - 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Lista..._real_80_aniversario_reina_sofia_20181102.jpg

I stand corrected, casareal published a photo with Cristina even in the center behind her mother. I am sure that photo was on top of Sofia's wish list.

I am sure it was; and to me it makes sense as Sofia has been very clear in her support for her daughter. Felipe and Letizia might not like it but Sofia was in charge this time. And probably it's for the better as this might help normalize the situation a bit now Iñaki is out of the picture for at least a few years. And after serving his sentence some kind of rehabilitation within the family would be healthy (without him ever being active again for the Casa).

I am sure it was; and to me it makes sense as Sofia has been very clear in her support for her daughter. Felipe and Letizia might not like it but Sofia was in charge this time. And probably it's for the better as this might help normalize the situation a bit now Iñaki is out of the picture for at least a few years. And after serving his sentence some kind of rehabilitation within the family would be healthy (without him ever being active again for the Casa).

Elena and Cristina are already no longer members of the Casa Real and, as Leonor and Sofía grow up, none of their aunts will be needed for official royal duties anyway. So the point about Cristina being ever active again in some official capacity seems moot to me regardless of Iñaki's rehabilitation or lack thereof. I believe Felipe's sisters will still be seen at family events, but that will be it. Not unike JC's sisters BTW.

Elena and Cristina are already no longer members of the Casa Real and, as Leonor and Sofía grow up, none of their aunts will be needed for official royal duties anyway. So the point about Cristina being ever active again in some official capacity seems moot to me regardless of Iñaki's rehabilitation or lack thereof. I believe Felipe's sisters will still be seen at family events, but that will be it. Not unike JC's sisters BTW.

Infanta Sofia will cease to be a member of the Casa Real as well when her sister ascends the throne; which could be rather late in life - so not a very healthy situation for siblings of future monarchs as she is expected to be quite active for the royal family and when she is probably in her 40s or 50s suddenly take care of herself. IMO she should be prepared for a different life sooner rather than later.

Elena does attend a few royal activities at times, so while no longer a formal member of the family, she has been treated differently than Cristina.

Felipe and Letizia did not go to the concert?

The arrangement of the photo is a bit odd, with Letizia holding hands with Leonor and Sofia standing alone next to her grandfather.

Thank you to everyone who shared the photos and articles about Sofia and Juan Carlos's celebrations ?
The grandchildren all look so grown up now; I'd forgotten quite how old they are as in my mind they're still between the ages of 7-11. Irene reminds me a lot of Infanta Sofia whilst Victoria Federica very strongly resembles Elena, IMO.
It's interesting to see Queen Noor at the celebrations; I had no idea that she was friends with the SRF. I'm once again disappointed to see a no-show from the BRF in representation of HM (yes, I'm aware that Charles and Camilla are currently in Ghana and that the Sussexes have just come back from New Zealand, but other representatives such as the Cambridges or Wessexes would've been nice) as I read that HM is friendly with Juan Carlos and calls him "Juanito" which is a nickname that is only reserved for close friends and relatives. I'm not surprised, however, that Marie Chantal and co. didn't attend, given her involvement in Palma-gate at Easter. It wouldn't surprise me if there have been more tensions between her and the SRF since then.

Thank you to everyone who shared the photos and articles about Sofia and Juan Carlos's celebrations ?
The grandchildren all look so grown up now; I'd forgotten quite how old they are as in my mind they're still between the ages of 7-11. Irene reminds me a lot of Infanta Sofia whilst Victoria Federica very strongly resembles Elena, IMO.
It's interesting to see Queen Noor at the celebrations; I had no idea that she was friends with the SRF. I'm once again disappointed to see a no-show from the BRF in representation of HM (yes, I'm aware that Charles and Camilla are currently in Ghana and that the Sussexes have just come back from New Zealand, but other representatives such as the Cambridges or Wessexes would've been nice)

Asides from being closely related to the Greek/Spanish/Danish/Romanian and Hanover royal families,Sofia and Juan Carlos were very friendly with other reigning houses.

The late King Hussein of Jordan,Prince Rainier III,Princess Grace ,King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola were frequent visitors with the SRF.

King Juan Carlos,Queen Sofia,King Hussein and Queen Noor
https://goo.gl/images/WjE8nr

Kings Baudouin and Juan Carlos
https://goo.gl/images/XUUx1k

Prince Albert,Prince Rainier III,King Juan Carlos

https://goo.gl/images/yBHZSY

Queen Sofia of Spain, Prince Felipe and Princess Grace

https://goo.gl/images/o8EwMZ

I never expected to see a member of the BRF in attendance I don't think the Borbons and Windsors are particularly close.

Last edited:
Sitting at the end of the same row as Princess Tatiana is Princess Alia Al Tabbaa of Jordan, former wife of Prince Feisal. Getty also has a picture of her arriving.

http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Lista..._real_80_aniversario_reina_sofia_20181102.jpg

I stand corrected, casareal published a photo with Cristina even in the center behind her mother. I am sure that photo was on top of Sofia's wish list.

This is my first post -- but I've enjoyed reading everyone's perspective for the past several months! Does anyone know if Felipe and Cristina are estranged personally because of the legal difficulties or do they simply avoid one another in public because of the controversy? And what would them appearing together in a family photo mean?

It's interesting to see Queen Noor at the celebrations; I had no idea that she was friends with the SRF. I'm once again disappointed to see a no-show from the BRF in representation of HM (yes, I'm aware that Charles and Camilla are currently in Ghana and that the Sussexes have just come back from New Zealand, but other representatives such as the Cambridges or Wessexes would've been nice) as I read that HM is friendly with Juan Carlos and calls him "Juanito" which is a nickname that is only reserved for close friends and relatives. I'm not surprised, however, that Marie Chantal and co. didn't attend, given her involvement in Palma-gate at Easter. It wouldn't surprise me if there have been more tensions between her and the SRF since then.

It was a relatively private celebration, so we Sofia's friends were invited and as she was queen herself, princess from birth and sister of a king, they include many other royals. I don't think the BRF received an invite (certainly not one to be passed on to someone else).

This is my first post -- but I've enjoyed reading everyone's perspective for the past several months! Does anyone know if Felipe and Cristina are estranged personally because of the legal difficulties or do they simply avoid one another in public because of the controversy? And what would them appearing together in a family photo mean?

Welcome!

As far as we kmow brother and sister are personally estranged as well because of the Noos case. Them appearing together most likely means that Felipe has accepted that he cannot prevend his sister from attending family occassions (both memorial masses and birthday parties), especially since she was equitted, while her husband was sentenced.

The Earl of Wessex is undertaking his own African tour - even meeting up with and doing a joint engagement with Charles.

Andrew is in China undertaking official engagements.

The only child of HM in the UK at the moment is Anne and she is busy.

William has also been doing engagements in the UK.

Maybe the Spanish didn't invite the Brits.

Remember that the Spanish government stopped Sofia attending The Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012 so that could still be rankling (and yes I know there has been a State Visit from the King and Queen to the UK).

Were the Danes, Swedes and Norwegians there? I haven't seen any mention of the Dutch or Belgians either.

This was a private and family event, not an event for royalty, but for very close friends. Farah and Noor are personal and close friends of Sofia, they already attended the celebration of her 70th birthday, and Noor has spent private holidays with Sofia in Mallorca.

Princess Tatiana Radziwil is a cousin of Queen Sofia and a close friend over the years.

Even for such a low key event there were 3 queens ,2 kings and and a Dowager Empress sitting in the front row .

wow! amazing number of royal guests for the concert in sofia's honour. great to see. she really has some close relationships, specially with the jordanians and of course the greeks. shame F&L didn't attend the concert. it would be a great gesture given letizia and sofia's issues during easter.

shame pavlos and MC didn't show up, but clearly given letizia and MC's relationship it may not be the best step anyway. i am surprised the RF published a photo with cristina and her kids of sofia's birthday. it is in my opinion a mistake to include her back in officially. of course she should be present at the party, but i wonder if a photo of them all should be released. maybe keep that one for the family album and publish one with F&L and their girls only?

it is hard to tell. they have for sure not been seen officially together in a while (apart from the funeral of infanta alicia, and even that got much coverage), and felipe does all he can to avoid the situation. whether he is doing this in public only or in both public and private life is something we will never know for sure, but the media seems to think felipe avoids cristina (and probably cristina avoids felipe) both publicly and privately.

I strongly suspect that Queen Sofia wanted a photo of ALL of her family released for her birthday, hence why Cristina was included. F&L and the Court just have to grin and bear it this time.

wow! amazing number of royal guests for the concert in sofia's honour. great to see. she really has some close relationships, specially with the jordanians and of course the greeks. shame F&L didn't attend the concert. it would be a great gesture given letizia and sofia's issues during easter.

shame pavlos and MC didn't show up, but clearly given letizia and MC's relationship it may not be the best step anyway. i am surprised the RF published a photo with cristina and her kids of sofia's birthday. it is in my opinion a mistake to include her back in officially. of course she should be present at the party, but i wonder if a photo of them all should be released. maybe keep that one for the family album and publish one with F&L and their girls only?

it is hard to tell. they have for sure not been seen officially together in a while (apart from the funeral of infanta alicia, and even that got much coverage), and felipe does all he can to avoid the situation. whether he is doing this in public only or in both public and private life is something we will never know for sure, but the media seems to think felipe avoids cristina (and probably cristina avoids felipe) both publicly and privately.

I think the quality of the picture itself is at least better than the one released for JC’s 80th. It’s not what I’d call a beautiful photo but at least it’s not dark and the group is somewhat better positioned.

The absence of Cristina and the children in the photo released earlier this year received significant attention both in the Spanish press in and in online public commentary and IMO added an inflammatory/controversial aspect to what should have been a straightforward PR win for the SRF. That would have been the best time to release a photo of, for example, JC, Felipe and Leonor together.

Partly because of how Juan Carlos’s picture was handled I think the anticipation for a potential photo released for Sofia’s birthday was high. The most non controversial picture would have been one with Sofia, Juan Carlos and all their grandchildren, but, again judging from the online reaction I’ve seen to the photo they did release, I think there was a significant number of people who were happy to see a full family photo at this family occasion.

I think that the reinsertion of Cristina and the children into FAMILY events, even ones that have a public component, is overall a good thing. The appearance of an ongoing feud between Felipe, Letizia and Cristina is like a festering wound that benefits no one except the Spanish press. The public normalization of family relationships will allow the wound to heal and in the long term provide much less fodder for the press. IMO it would be nice if Cristina and Felipe could start to mend their personal relationship at some point, for the sake of their children as well as their own, but from a PR point of view what matters is the appearance of civility.

If the kings Felipe and Letizia, attend the Royal Theater gala, it is they who would have to preside over the box, which would delegate Sofía y Juan Carlos to a second place.
We wanted to give prominence to Sofia, and therefore it was impossible for FyL to attend.
As for the photo on the door of Zarzuela, it was artificial and an error. It does not look like a family photo, but a photo of those that are made when there is an audience in Zarzuela. That is not a spontaneous family photo. And in the photo that seems institutional, it is a mistake to include CRISTINA, the one who has been stripped of the title of duchess and who should never return to acts of real house that are not family.
If Sofia wanted a picture with her grandchildren, she could have emulated Juan Carlos and take the picture in a private place in the residence
What I do not understand is how Felipe lends himself to his mother's games, which hurt both him and the Spanish crown.:triste::triste:

I strongly suspect that Queen Sofia wanted a photo of ALL of her family released for her birthday, hence why Cristina was included. F&L and the Court just have to grin and bear it this time.

The Infanta Doña Cristina is actually coming back in favour because there is appreciation amongst the people for how she decidedly stands by her man and for the determination with which she handles all this.

It is not a miracle or something daring to include Doña Cristina and the Urdangaríns in the family portrait. Doña Sofía is still the most popular member of the Spanish royal family. The Spaniards understand that a (grand)mother wants to see her children and grandchildren. With the usual exceptions of rabiate anti-everythingers lecturing how a mother should keep her daughter away.

Last edited:
That's exactly it, if this was an official event about the king and queen Cristina probably wouldn't have appeared in the photo. However, this was an event about Sofia and, if she wanted what most grandmother would, her whole family around her, that is what happened.

Among the people in general there is no appreciation for Cristina ... who accepts the situation does so because Sofia has been constantly presented as a victim, as the suffering wife, mother and grandmother, to whom everything is consented. Sofia wanted that picture and she has had it... let's hope that once the birthday and the photos have passed, Sofia will not continue to force scenes that do not help her son and the Crown.

Well of course. We have all had to do things that our parents want [even in our 70s when my parents in their 90s] to keep peace and for them to enjoy the day. Done all the time. For one day smiles and polite conversation on neutral subjects are always proper. It is done to make mom and dad happy. Always worth the effort for their sake.

ASofia wanted that picture and she has had it... let's hope that once the birthday and the photos have passed, Sofia will not continue to force scenes that do not help her son and the Crown.

Felipe put his mother above his wife and heiress after the Easter quarrel, she'll be his No 1 until she dies and then she'll become Saint Sofia.

Back
Top Bottom