17th Ibero-American Summit in Chile: November 8-10, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post lol. I'm glad the king told Chavez to shut up. Mr Chavez thinks it's heroic to interrupt people and call names. He behaves like a child and I don't see that helping his country. It may not be the "grown up" thing to do or something befitting a king but I'm glad someone got to tell him off for a change.

Well done, Your Majesty. Here in Brasil, many people who are fed up too, call it "the phrase of the year".

I agree with Mascha and others- bravo! It was great- at last somebody stopped this clown. It can be various attitudes to fidel Castro, but I have never heard he insulted anybody as Chavez always does. Juan Carlos acted as a head of the State and as a man and it was great!

Let's please be careful and make sure that this does not turn into a political discussion and lets remember to respect others' opinions.

Last edited:
There are not many heads of state who will get away with something like that but JC is one of them. It will actually add to his charisma :cool: Somehow it reminded me of Nikita Khrushchev and his notorious shoe-banging incident :lol:

ok :) i know im in minority here but i dont agree with Juan Carlos behaviour. I understand his reaction but I don't agree.
Chavez is a rude man and a real "fascist" imo, but he was elected by his people... JC wasn't. We shouldnt forget that P. Aznar offended Chavez in the first place using the same words that Chavez did this time... Just because Chavez is a dictator (imo) it doesnt give powers to JC order him to shut up...
I liked the diplomatic way Zapatiro talked with him, but the King was not in his days for sure. You can't ( a King can't) tell 'shut up' to a president of another country... In this summit... where were the moderators? Where were they?!...
They are the ones who should tell Chavez to stop to talk, to stop with the rude manners... not the King!
In TRF you cant tell anyone 'why don't you shut up?' even if you dont like someone's posts... I think the King should come here more times :rolleyes:

I am not seeing Queen Elizabeth shouting to Robert Mugabe 'why dont you shut up?!'................ :cool: It would be fun i agree but a Queen/King should know her/his place 24 hours a day.

BRAVO YOUR MAJESTY! You serve your country proud! its about time someone told that Fascist a thing or two!!!!!!! HURRAH!

I love that he told him to shut up! That was brilliant. It really showed me that Spain isn't going to put up with that stuff anymore.

Chavez's rudeness

I have to disagree with King Juan Carlos' behaviour; he is only stepping down to Chavez's level. I heartily applaud and approve of Zapatero's behaviour. He behaved as a true dignified diplomat. With mere words he was able to convey what a rude boor Chavez is and he liftted himself up above the fray. That is exactly how all true diplomats should behave.

i agree with you, angelina. i just cant believe people agree with a king who tell others (no matter who they are) to shut up. once again, where were the moderators in this summit?....

i remember when letizia said to prince felipe to shut up and let her talk. she didnt say "shut up" but almost. I believe the "shut up" thing is a common thing in this family :ohmy:

I too am in minority here but i dont agree with Juan Carlos behaviour. A better answer would have been a very firm "please listen senor" accompanied by a royal frown or raised eye brow. This would have been more constructive.
I agree with Angelina the King stepped down to Chavez's level. but I admire the spanish people's patriotism in showing support for their King.

they were all hot headed, caught up in a heated discussion, "shut up" (and let others talk) was imo justified. I was very impressed by the response of the spanish pm, very dignified and intelligent.

If, someone does not deal to reasons, since it is Chavez's case, sometimes it is necessary to say the things like that to him.

Chavez was going two days doing the same thing without nobody was quiet him. The Spanish asked him on Friday to behave and not to enter in debates and in critiques to persons who were not there and that were out of place in a summit like this. But he continued insisting ... and not only insist, but was interrupting constant the shift of word of Zapatero. The President of Chile should have kept silent Chavez, because he did not have right to speak in that moment. But if it does not do anything, ultimately the logical thing is that anybody says it to him.

Now Chavez continues, and continues ... manipulating the situation that was what was searching from the first moment. Because while one speaks about this, one does not speak that he wants to reform the Constitution of his country to be perpetuated in power and of that he is suppressing with violence the students who demonstrate against him.

chavez's behavior

If Chavez had told King Juan Carlos to shut up, everyone would be saying what an uncouth, barbarian dictator Chavez is. I think this type of behavior is improper for either party and I cannot condone it, and especially since it happened in such a public forum. It was up to the moderator to keep the comments on topic and if Chavez was overstepping the bounds, someone should have pressed the moderator to take action. What King Juan Carlos did is the type of chastising that is better done in private with a smile on the lips and delivered as a joke.

What King Juan Carlos did is the type of chastising that is better done in private with a smile on the lips and delivered as a joke.

There there is the mistake of your reasoning ... the previous day and the same day, all the members of the Spanish group ... the King, the President, the Minister, the Secretariat for Latin America ... they had asked Chavez PRIVATELY that was behaving. Chavez not only did not behave well, but he worsened his behavior interrupting several times to Zapatero. Beside doing numerous insulting commentaries to the politics, the diplomacy and the Spanish businessmen.

Another mistake in your reasoning is to think that the King would interrupt a person who is in the legitimate use of the word. Neither the King nor the majority of the politicians who were in this meeting they would do it, for a simple question of education.

Last edited:
reasoning

My reasoning is that regardless of the circumstances a public figure always maintains his/her dignity and the high road and never stoops to the level of his opponent. Once an individual stoops to the level of their opponent, things can only go downhill from there. As far I'm concerned, Zapatero came off as the consummate diplomat while King Juan Carlos only managed to look as boorish as Chavez. As to Chavez, he's cooking his own goose and doesn't need any help from anyone else.

In my opinion, as I have already written, Juan Carlos did right, as Chavez was really rude.
Anyways thinking it over, I think that JC should have left, as he did, without saying anything. Probably nobody could have criticised the king for not being "royal".
For example, on the main Italian tv news, Tg1, they said it was like "any common talk show argue". They focused only on what the King said, and not on Chavez behaviour, like on most of the newspapers in the world.
Anyways, I am not an expert on diplomacy, but Chavez was rude and annoying and ...........when it is enough is enough.

Last edited:
I think this is sort of Michelle Bachelet's fault, she didn't moderate when Chavez started, if she would have done so, KJC wouldn't have screamed at him:ermm:

Chavez saw that one coming whether it was from the King or anything else:rolleyes:

Chavez saw that one coming whether it was from the King or anything else:rolleyes:

This is what he wanted? Again everybody is talking about him and that he lived up to his reputation, being able to provoke a King who promptly lost his countenance.

This is what he wanted? Again everybody is talking about him and that he lived up to his reputation, being able to provoke a King who promptly lost his countenance.

Yes, it was what he wanted. This allows him to continue with his demagogic speech, to attract his public and to remove it from the real problem that exists in Venezuela. Chavez is in campaign to make changes in the Constitution, and with these changes be perpetuated in the power ... in Venezuela there have been protest of students that been suppressed by the police and in that there have been victims. Chavez needs to distract the attention.:rolleyes:

What we cannot forget is that Chavez had been anoying all along, not staying quiet when he had to, etc. So I don't think any other way of asking him to keep his mouth shut, would have helped either. So, for that matter, I think it's brilliant one man dared standing up and saying that, somehting that I'm sure many others were thinking, but were afraid to say.
I'm not a linguist but I was just wondering, is "shut up" the best translation we have of the Kings Words? It just seems to be that to tell somebody to shut up sounds much more harsh, that the spanish"porque no te callas'. Doesn't it?

Chavez is in campaign to make changes in the Constitution, and with these changes be perpetuated in the power ... in Venezuela there have been protest of students that been suppressed by the police and in that there have been victims. Chavez needs to distract the attention.:rolleyes:

Chavez is in good company with other leaders, being elected or not, who will distract attention from severe problems in their own countries by making polemic expressions towards others.

So, did anybody use the Kings remark as a ringtone of their phone? According to Dutch News programme ´4 in het land´ it is very popular and they even let us hear a popular variation: The Kings remark combined with a house beat. So, where can I donwload it? ;)

So, did anybody use the Kings remark as a ringtone of their phone? According to Dutch News programme ´4 in het land´ it is very popular and they even let us hear a popular variation: The Kings remark combined with a house beat. So, where can I donwload it? ;)

Haha, seriously, a ringtone? :lol: That's brilliant. Let me know if you happen to find it online, I'd love to hear that :D

Yes, princess_leonor he said "porque no te callas?" and that would be a "why don't you shut up?"

Yeahhh I heard about the ringtone. :lol:
My internet didn't work since thursday!. When I saw the news about the King I thought, hey a new topic for the TFR, I'll have a lot to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom