Grand Duke Henri's Accession to the Throne: October 7, 2000

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drimal

Nobility
City
Belvaux
Country
Luxembourg
I thought it would be a great idea to dedicate an entire thread to the bigest event in the life of Grand Duke Henri, his throne achievement exactly five years ago on 7th October 2000. :)

I will post some interesting articles here as well as many pictures.:)

Text from the pdf document of the Grand Ducal family on gouvernement.lu;)

The accession to the throne of HRH Grand Duke Henri on 7 October 2000

On 7 October 2000, the ceremonies for HRH Grand Duke Jean’s abdication and HRH Grand Duke Henri’s accession to the throne took place in Luxembourg. Grand Duke Jean announced his intention to abdicate in favour of his eldest son, Hereditary Grand Duke Henri, on 24 December 1999.

After a reign of nearly 36 years, it seemed natural to Grand Duke Jean to hand over the reigns to his eldest son and to let the Grand Duchy take advantage of the experience gained by the Hereditary Grand Duke.

On 7 October 2000, at around 10.00 a.m., in the presence of HRH Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte, HRH the Hereditary Grand Duke, HRH the Hereditary Grand Duchess, HRH Grand Duke Jean signed the Grand Ducal Abdication Decree at the Grand Ducal Palace.

HM Queen of the Netherlands, TM the King and the Queen of the Belgians, the other members of the Grand Ducal Family, the representatives of the main political institutions and public figures also took part in the ceremony. Following signature of the Abdication Decree, Prime Minister Claude Juncker gave a speech in which he paid tribute to HRH Grand Duke Jean and his wife. The abdication ceremony was followed by the swearing-in ceremony, which took place at a solemn sitting of the Chamber of Deputies.

At about 11.00 a.m., during a public sitting at the Chamber of Deputies, HRH Grand Duke Henri took the oath stipulated by Article 5 of the Constitution:

I swear to observe the Constitution and the Laws of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, to maintain the national independence and integrity of the territory, as well as public and individual liberties’.

Thereafter, Grand Duke Henri delivered the enthronement speech, in which he proved to be fully aware of the duties and obligations his new function imposes on him and promised to accomplish them in all conscience and with the utmost ability. On this particular day, he wished to thank his parents for the trust they had placed in him. In addition to the political and economic aspects, His Royal Highness mentioned the profound values of our society and reminded us that the ‘foundations of our civilization lie in solidarity, justice, tolerance, respect for others and humanity’.

After the swearing-in ceremony, TRH and the royal children returned to the Palace on foot. The large crowd, gathered along the route, acclaimed Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa enthusiastically. At around midday, TRH Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, the other members of the Grand Ducal Family and Dutch and Belgian sovereigns appeared on the balcony of the Grand Ducal Palace and waved to the crowd.

After being invited to a dinner given by the Government at the Cercle Municipal, the accredited ambassadors were presented to TRH Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.

At around 4.20 p.m., TRH Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, accompanied by the royal children, left the Grand Ducal Palace on foot for Notre-Dame Cathedral where they attended a thanksgiving service.

Later in the afternoon, TRH proceeded to the City Hall where they were welcomed by the Mayor of the City of Luxembourg, Mr Paul Helminger. After the welcome address by Mr Helminger, the members of the Grand Ducal Family signed the guest book of the City of Luxembourg.

Upon leaving the City Hall, at around 6.00 p.m., Their Royal Highnesses went to meet the crowd gathered at the entrance to the building.

Attachments

• grandducalfamily-69.JPG
    grandducalfamily-69.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,188
  • grandducalfamily-70.JPG
    grandducalfamily-70.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 2,149
  • grandducalfamily-71.JPG
    grandducalfamily-71.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 3,278
  • grandducalfamily-72.JPG
    grandducalfamily-72.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,857
  • grandducalfamily-73.JPG
    grandducalfamily-73.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,730
  • grandducalfamily-74.JPG
    grandducalfamily-74.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 2,103
  • grandducalfamily-67.JPG
    grandducalfamily-67.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 3,593
  • grandducalfamily-75.JPG
    grandducalfamily-75.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,760
  • grandducalfamily-76.JPG
    grandducalfamily-76.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 2,033
Last edited:
Thank you for that article and the lovely pictures, drimal....they really make me miss Joséphine-Charlotte! :)

Pictures of Henri's throne accession (1)

Source: Corbis

Attachments

• throne 2000 4.jpg
    throne 2000 4.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 627
  • throne 2000 10.jpg
    throne 2000 10.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 704
  • throne 2000 9.jpg
    throne 2000 9.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,970
  • throne 2000 8.jpg
    throne 2000 8.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 572
  • throne 2000 7.jpg
    throne 2000 7.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,978
  • throne 2000 6.jpg
    throne 2000 6.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 579
  • throne 2000 5.jpg
    throne 2000 5.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,248
  • throne 2000 3.jpg
    throne 2000 3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 616
  • throne 2000 2.jpg
    throne 2000 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,006
  • throne 2000 1.jpg
    throne 2000 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,786
Pictures of Henri's throne accession (2)

more pics from Corbis;)

Attachments

• throne 2000 11.jpg
    throne 2000 11.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 921
  • throne 2000 20.jpg
    throne 2000 20.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 578
  • throne 2000 19.jpg
    throne 2000 19.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,013
  • throne 2000 18.jpg
    throne 2000 18.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,621
  • throne 2000 17.jpg
    throne 2000 17.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,743
  • throne 2000 16.jpg
    throne 2000 16.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,685
  • throne 2000 15.jpg
    throne 2000 15.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 549
  • throne 2000 14.jpg
    throne 2000 14.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 519
  • throne 2000 13.jpg
    throne 2000 13.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,667
  • throne 2000 12.jpg
    throne 2000 12.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3,411
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa looks great, she knows what colors and designs go great with her figure.

:confused: Do they use crowns for the Coronation? not even a tiara for the Grand Duchess?

Toledo said:
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa looks great, she knows what colors and designs go great with her figure.

:confused: Do they use crowns for the Coronation? not even a tiara for the Grand Duchess?

See here for the answer to that question.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
So basically they really shouldn't be wearing tiaras there, should they?

Anyone can wear a tiara. I could wear a tiara if I wanted to [and I could afford one]. Lots of celebrities own or have borrowed tiaras in the past...I have a picture in some magazine somewhere of Julia Roberts wearing one for a photo shoot.
The LRF has no royal regalia [ie, crown, sceptre, orb, what have you] and they never have. They're still a fairly young royal family, remember, and coronation was out of vogue around the time that they became the ruling family of Luxembourg. The only European country I know of that still does a "coronation", where the crown is actually placed on someone's head, is Great Britain [and we all know that they love their pomp and pageantry]. Everyone else just takes an oath of service as their act of succession.
I think it's a shame that many countries no longer have coronations or have cut down on their pageantry- that's half the fun of having a king or queen [or grand duke or grand duchess or prince or princess] as a head of state!

Pictures of Henri's throne accession (3)

pictures from corbis and photosip

Attachments

• throne 2000 21.jpg
    throne 2000 21.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,010
  • throne 2000 22.jpg
    throne 2000 22.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,679
  • throne 2000 23.jpg
    throne 2000 23.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 606
  • throne 2000  a.JPG
    throne 2000 a.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,546
  • throne 2000 b.JPG
    throne 2000 b.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,879
  • throne 2000 c.JPG
    throne 2000 c.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,080
  • throne 2000 d.JPG
    throne 2000 d.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 609
  • throne 2000 e.JPG
    throne 2000 e.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 507
  • throne 2000 f.jpg
    throne 2000 f.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 814
  • throne 2000 g.JPG
    throne 2000 g.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 533
I just love the chair Henri sits on. It is so massive and he is so slender and the whole thing ends up looking like something out of Alice in Wonderland. There was also a fantastic pic of Alexandra sitting on a little stool, her hands in her lap, looking very... mischievous, in the lack of better word.

-Lisa

lisamaria said:
I just love the chair Henri sits on. It is so massive and he is so slender and the whole thing ends up looking like something out of Alice in Wonderland. There was also a fantastic pic of Alexandra sitting on a little stool, her hands in her lap, looking very... mischievous, in the lack of better word.

-Lisa

The chair was restored and it had been used for Grand Duchess Charlotte's enthronement too.:)

I remember that Grand Duke Henri was very nervous while taking his oath; he stuttered a little bit.:D

Whileas Grand duke Jean just had to say "Je le jure ainsi Dieu me soit en l'aide" , Grand Duke Henri had to say the following text ( in French too which is the official legislative language in Luxembourg) "I swear to observe the Constitution and the Laws of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, to maintain the national independence and integrity of the territory, as well as public and individual liberties". French text: "Je jure de respecter la constitution et les lois du Grand Duché de Luxembourg, de maintenir l'indépendance nationale et l'intégrité du territoire ainsi que les libertés publiques et individuelles."

it was probably more nerves than anything.

Did Guillaume have to take an oath of some kind to become the Hereditary Grand Duke? or it was just taken for granted

crisiñaki said:
Did Guillaume have to take an oath of some kind to become the Hereditary Grand Duke? or it was just taken for granted

He took an official oath in front of his parents and the Parliament in December of 2000. The title of Hereditary Grand Duke is not automatic in Luxembourg- he was known only as Prince Guillaume until his father signed the legislation stating that his new title would be Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg.

Abdication of Grand Duke Jean and accession to the throne of Grand Duke Henri.

A special stamp developed by their philatelic service to marked the 20 years of reign of the Grand Duke Henri.

On this launch day, the GD Henri received in audience Mr. Claude Strasser, CEO of POST Group and Mr. Emile Espen, Head of the POST Philately department to discuss this project

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIiucKkhv_p/

He forgot part of his Oath...and Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte Kings's Daughter and Sister was devasted..

Princess Marie Astrid wore her Mother's dress for the Wedding of one of her Children.

Back
Top Bottom