The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-15-2020, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I was doing a search when I found a picture of the grave of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's parents. There are two other people buried in the same grave, but I don't know who they are.
The Grand Duchess's parents are buried in a cemetery in Miami.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zYkyKrwDY...c7a3c2c6c.jpeg

https://pt.findagrave.com/memorial/1...-teresa-mestre
Maria Alvarez de Mestre (1900 - 1992) surely is her grandmother (as her father's full name is: José Antonio Mestre y Alvarez; so his mother's maiden name was Alvarez) and Jose Antonio (1952-2015) was her brother (see for example this announcement on TRF).

Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
It is with great sadness that His Royal Highnesses, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, announce the death of Mr Victor Batista Falla, uncle of His Royal Highness, the Grand Duchess and his mother's last living brother.

Victor Batista Falla, who lived in Madrid, had been visiting his native Cuba, where he had not been back for 60 years. He died on Easter Sunday at the age of 87 from COVID-19.

Victor Batista Falla was a recognized editor and one of the biggest sponsors of Cuban literature in exile.

His death is a great loss to the entire HRH family, the Grand Duchess.
Décès de M. Victor Batista Falla, oncle de la Grande-Duchesse - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2020
I missed this earlier but this is very sad news. May Victor Batista Falla rest in peace.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

While it's sad, I am a bit surprised that the court made an official announcement about the death of the Grand Duchess' uncle (not her parents or siblings but uncle). Are there other royal families who would officially announce such news?

It was another sad Easter for the grand ducal family as last year grand duke Jean died two days after Easter and now MT's uncle dies on Easter Sunday.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Ancestors of the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:03 PM
Nobility

Victor Batista Falla's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
While it's sad, I am a bit surprised that the court made an official announcement about the death of the Grand Duchess' uncle (not her parents or siblings but uncle). Are there other royal families who would officially announce such news? …
It is a human interest story given that Victor Batista Falla died early on of COVID-19. Victor returned to Cuba from Spain at age 87 after 60 years of exile. I wonder what motivated him to visit after so many years? (Remember, Maria Teresa first went back in 2002.) Cuba would be a bad place to be during COVID-19 given shortages of soap and water.

Victor also was a noted philanthropist and a familiar face to those who follow the Luxembourg royals. As an example, he is shown in the group photos at Prince Felix’s wedding in 2013. Since Maria Teresa's parents died so many years ago, Victor filled in as a senior member of her family.

From Point de Vue, July 5 2006
PdV: What has been the most difficult moment since your marriage?
Maria Teresa: The death of my parents. My mother died in 1988, et my father died in 1993. I was still too young to truly be prepared for their departure, and it left a great void. Fortunately, my husband was very supportive and helped me a great deal. When in need of counsel, I can count on my uncles and aunts, and also friends of my parents. And not to be forgotten, my father-in-law, who I greatly admire and for whom I have great affection.

Tags
grand duchess maria teresa