The Family and Ancestry of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not know that Grand Duchess Maria Teresa still descended from the aristocracy, this is very interesting.

Apart from her descent from the Kings of Aragon,not much is known about her many noble ancestors from today's Belgium,Netherlands,France and even Germany.

Maria Teresa is also a descendant of the House of Ligne,as well as many other significant houses such as de Merode, d'Argenteau, d'Aspremont, de Lalaing, Chabot, Looz and Corswarem.

It is interesting that she is related to her husband Grand Duke Henri,both of them being descendants of Baron Michel III de Ligne,who lived in 15th century as well as both of them being descendants of Johan II de Glymes,Lord of Bergen op Zoom.

Here is Maria Teresa's line of descent from the House of Ligne:

Baron Michel III de Ligne,Seigneur de Barbancon,died in 1469
I
Countess Sybille de Trazegnies d'Autrepesde,born de Ligne,died around 1513
I
Marie de Trazegnies d'Autrepesde,died in 1556
I
Renaud d'Argenteau,Seigneur de Ligny,Tongrinnes and Keumignies,died in 1567
I
Conrad d'Argenteau, Seigneur de Ligny,died in 1609
I
Anne d'Argenteau de Ligny
I
Adrienne d'Yve,Dame de Ligny and Tongrinne
I
Marquis Charles Adrien de Sucre de Preux,Marqués de Noyela and San Rafael,lived from 1641-1712
I
Don Carlos Francisco de Sucre y Pardo,lived from 1670-1746
I
Marquise Feliciana Antonia de San Felipe y Santiago,born de Sucre,lived from 1709-1750
I
Marquis Juan Francisco of San Felipe y Santiago,born in 1725
I
Marquis Juan Clemente of San Felipe y Santiago,lived from 1754-1821
I
Countess Maria Michaela of Casa Montalvo,born Nuñéz del Castillo y Espinosa,lived from 1774-1842
I
Doña Maria Micaela Montalvo y Nuñéz del Castillo,died in 1879
I
Doña Maria Mercedes Gonzélez de Mendoza,born Pedroso y Montalvo,lived from 1835-1895
I
Doña Julia Gonzélez de Mendoza y Pedroso,lived from 1860-1934
I
Agustin Batista y González de Mendoza,lived from 1899-1968
I
Maria Teresa Batista y Falla,lived from 1928-1988
I
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg,born in 1956

It is with great sadness that His Royal Highnesses, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, announce the death of Mr Victor Batista Falla, uncle of His Royal Highness, the Grand Duchess and his mother's last living brother.

Victor Batista Falla, who lived in Madrid, had been visiting his native Cuba, where he had not been back for 60 years. He died on Easter Sunday at the age of 87 from COVID-19.

Victor Batista Falla was a recognized editor and one of the biggest sponsors of Cuban literature in exile.

His death is a great loss to the entire HRH family, the Grand Duchess.
Décès de M. Victor Batista Falla, oncle de la Grande-Duchesse - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2020

:previous: Oh, how very sad. A long life to be sure, but to have it ended by this horrible plague and on Easter Sunday at that.

May he RIP.:sad:

My condolences to the family and R.I.P.

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

I was doing a search when I found a picture of the grave of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's parents. There are two other people buried in the same grave, but I don't know who they are.
The Grand Duchess's parents are buried in a cemetery in Miami.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zYkyKrwD...914_42f2bd62-5dd0-4edc-aaa8-921c7a3c2c6c.jpeg

https://pt.findagrave.com/memorial/193418803/maria-teresa-mestre
Maria Alvarez de Mestre (1900 - 1992) surely is her grandmother (as her father's full name is: José Antonio Mestre y Alvarez; so his mother's maiden name was Alvarez) and Jose Antonio (1952-2015) was her brother (see for example this announcement on TRF).

Last edited:
It is with great sadness that His Royal Highnesses, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, announce the death of Mr Victor Batista Falla, uncle of His Royal Highness, the Grand Duchess and his mother's last living brother.

Victor Batista Falla, who lived in Madrid, had been visiting his native Cuba, where he had not been back for 60 years. He died on Easter Sunday at the age of 87 from COVID-19.

Victor Batista Falla was a recognized editor and one of the biggest sponsors of Cuban literature in exile.

His death is a great loss to the entire HRH family, the Grand Duchess.
Décès de M. Victor Batista Falla, oncle de la Grande-Duchesse - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2020

I missed this earlier but this is very sad news. May Victor Batista Falla rest in peace.:sad:

While it's sad, I am a bit surprised that the court made an official announcement about the death of the Grand Duchess' uncle (not her parents or siblings but uncle). Are there other royal families who would officially announce such news?

It was another sad Easter for the grand ducal family as last year grand duke Jean died two days after Easter and now MT's uncle dies on Easter Sunday.

Last edited:
Ancestors of the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
maria%2Bteresa.jpg

Victor Batista Falla's death

While it's sad, I am a bit surprised that the court made an official announcement about the death of the Grand Duchess' uncle (not her parents or siblings but uncle). Are there other royal families who would officially announce such news? …

It is a human interest story given that Victor Batista Falla died early on of COVID-19. Victor returned to Cuba from Spain at age 87 after 60 years of exile. I wonder what motivated him to visit after so many years? (Remember, Maria Teresa first went back in 2002.) Cuba would be a bad place to be during COVID-19 given shortages of soap and water.

Victor also was a noted philanthropist and a familiar face to those who follow the Luxembourg royals. As an example, he is shown in the group photos at Prince Felix’s wedding in 2013. Since Maria Teresa's parents died so many years ago, Victor filled in as a senior member of her family.

From Point de Vue, July 5 2006
PdV: What has been the most difficult moment since your marriage?
Maria Teresa: The death of my parents. My mother died in 1988, et my father died in 1993. I was still too young to truly be prepared for their departure, and it left a great void. Fortunately, my husband was very supportive and helped me a great deal. When in need of counsel, I can count on my uncles and aunts, and also friends of my parents. And not to be forgotten, my father-in-law, who I greatly admire and for whom I have great affection.

More Information About Maria Teresa's Irish Ancestors

Richard Farrill I of Montserrat
Richard Farrill I settled in the Leeward Islands some time in the latter half of the 17th C, probably as a consequence of the wars in Ireland. By the early 18th C many of Richard’s descendants were wealthy and educated planters and merchants, with extensive trading networks within the English and Spanish Atlantic empires (as well as the Danish and possibly the French) and cultural networks that included Jesuit educations on the Continent.

https://farrellhistory.wordpress.com/richard-farrill-i-of-montserrat/

She seems to have a quite few family members pass away over the last few years. Loosing your younger brother at the age of only 64 must be hard on the whole family. My condolences to the GD, her husband and children (and other family members) for the loss of their brother(in-law) and uncle.

Back
Top Bottom