Maria Teresa's Education and Early Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowabelle

Royal Highness , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Des Moines
Country
United States
'm interesting in writing a brief comparison of Maria Theresa's education and career history versus that of Princess Diana, since they were both commoners who married into royal families at about the same time.

Do any of you have any information you share? The most I've found is in wikipedia and, although it's not as vague as the history of Queen Silvia, it's probably not the best source. Thanks!

The official biography of Maria Teresa on the GD Family's website would be a good place to start iowabelle. It only comes in French however, if necessary you can always use the Google translator.

'm interesting in writing a brief comparison of Maria Theresa's education and career history versus that of Princess Diana, since they were both commoners who married into royal families at about the same time.

Do any of you have any information you share? The most I've found is in wikipedia and, although it's not as vague as the history of Queen Silvia, it's probably not the best source. Thanks!

I don't think there's much comparison eduction wise. Maria Teresa graduated with a Masters degree in Politicial Science from the University of Geneva. Her thesis was on comparing legislation relating to women working and maternity leave in the EU. Diana failed her O-levels (10th grade) twice.

I doesn't seem that Maria Teresa worked, she graduated from University in 1980 ( June) and was married on 14th February 1981, so she would have been engaged shortly after her graduation. She was 24 years old, MT met Henri at the University of Geneva where they were both studying political science.

Diana grew up an aristocrat whose main job was to marry well,education wasn't a priority and finishing school was a way to pass some time. Maria Teresa ( who was 5 years older than Diana) grew up a refugee ( from Cuba) and immigrant who would have had the importance of education emphasised. There was no finishing school for her! There is a totally different value system between the 2 woman, they may have married in the same year but they were virtual opposites.

:previous: And possibly those reasons are partly why MT has been pretty successful in her royal career whereas Diana had so much trouble adjusting.

I do remember reading somewhere Diana worked as a nanny or kindergarten teacher before marrying Charles.

:previous: And possibly those reasons are partly why MT has been pretty successful in her royal career whereas Diana had so much trouble adjusting.

I do remember reading somewhere Diana worked as a nanny or kindergarten teacher before marrying Charles.

She was never a kindergarten teacher as she didn't have the qualifications. She worked in a kindergarten 2 days a week ( the owner of the kindergarten was a friend of her sister's so that's how she got the job) as a teacher's assistant, she cut fruit, cleaned paint pots, that kind of job. She signed up with a nanny agency but refused to work nights or weekends, so she did temporary nanny work, again part-time.

Yes, the differences between the two women were something I wanted to highlight. I'm also drawing the contrast with Silvia of Sweden, however, Silvia was about 18 years older than Diana so you would expect rather more experience and perhaps more education.

I was impressed by what I read about MT in wikipedia. She obviously didn't intend to live the life of a jetsetting socialite, even before she met the GD. Kudos to her!

I have to admit that I just don't understand why Diana had no desire to find a career, or even a meaningful activity in which to pass her time, as a young woman. But it's probably a class thing. She was just brought up to marry well (and IMO that upbringing didn't benefit her).

Yeah, I think among all the current royal consorts, whether of common or noble birth, MT is possibly the most highly educated. I've always believed that you can tell a lot about a man simply by looking at the woman he loves. Hats off to GD Henri for his excellent taste. :flowers:

I think it is also reflected in the way she and the grand duke have raised their children, it obvious that they put great value on education and I think this is something they have passed on to their kids.

:previous: I couldn't agree more. I think more royals and upper class people should put more emphasis on education. I think that if Diana had been educated more she might have coped better with her position after marrying Charles - just my opinion though.

I doesn't seem that Maria Teresa worked, she graduated from University in 1980 ( June) and was married on 14th February 1981, so she would have been engaged shortly after her graduation. She was 24 years old, MT met Henri at the University of Geneva where they were both studying political science.

Does anyone know how long the actually dated before they got engaged?

They dated for 4 years before they got engaged.

Did they? I always read that they knew each other for 4 years not that they actually dated for this length of time. Also, Henri spent 2 years in the US studying while they should have been dating according to this time line.

Did they? I always read that they knew each other for 4 years not that they actually dated for this length of time. Also, Henri spent 2 years in the US studying while they should have been dating according to this time line.

That's what I read about how long they've dated. They met at a University in Geneva in 1976. I didn't know Henri spent 2 years in USA studying while they were dating.

That's what I read about how long they've dated. They met at a University in Geneva in 1976. I didn't know Henri spent 2 years in USA studying while they were dating.

I always read that for 4 years they carried on similar studies but never read that they were actually dating during all this time. Henri was mostly in the US 78-80 during the latter part of his studies in Geneva. I find it pretty typical for student to spend time abroad in their final years of university on internships and study.

I always read that for 4 years they carried on similar studies but never read that they were actually dating during all this time. Henri was mostly in the US 78-80 during the latter part of his studies in Geneva. I find it pretty typical for student to spend time abroad in their final years of university on internships and study.

Thank you for your explantion, Lalla Meriem.:)

According to information on other threads regarding Maria Teresa, as well as general knowledge about Diana's childhood, the two women had very different family lives. Maria Teresa came from a very illustrious family with roots in Spanish nobility. She was raised in a well educated, refined family by parents who did not suffer the scandals or divorce that Diana's did.

Maria Teresa, as a result, was a secure, intelligent, young woman when she married her prince, while Diana was a far less secure person when she married and had much less formal education.

It would be nice to know how they met and when they realized they were in love, but I guess that is confidential information. I do think that Maria Teresa has done a very good job - and she was well prepared for it by studying political science.

ArchiduquesaLaura, there are two versions of how Maria Teresa met Henri. The first version is the one that came out when their engagement was announced back in 1980. According to this version, Maria Teresa was a young college student who met Henri at the home of mutual friends. He was incognito for security reasons and was simply presented to her as a Luxembourgian young man studying in Switzerland. The friends suggested that since Maria Teresa was in the same college and since she lived in Switzerland, she show him around. The romantic version goes on to say that they took similar classes and started studying together and as time went on they started becoming close. One day, Henri had to suddenly and unexpectantly fly back to Luxembourg on an official visit and Maria Teresa went to see him off at the airport. When she got there, she was shocked upon seeing him dressed as a prince. Henri had decided to go dressed in his uniform because he had to run from the airport to the event. Seeing her this way, he told her that he had no time to explain, because he had to fly to an official event in his country, but that he was the heir to the throne of Luxembourg, that he loved her and that he wanted to make her his wife upon his return. When he got back to Switzerland a week later, he ran to see Maria Teresa and when he knocked on her door, she came out and had swollen, red eyes. She had clearly been crying. She said that she couldn't see him anymore, because as the heir to the throne, he would never marry her and his intentions with her could therefore only be dishonorable. He insisted that he was honorable and that he was fully committed to making her his bride. Maria Teresa gave in to his persuasion and after four years, they convinced the Grand Duke Jean to allow Henri to take Maria Teresa as a bride. Allegedly, Grand Duchess Charlotte [who ironically was later presented as an evil mother-in-law] took a liking to Maria Teresa and helped persuade Jean to allow the marriage.

The second version later given by Maria Teresa is that she in deed met Henri at the house of friends, but that she knew that he was a prince from the start. She also said if I remember correctly that their relationship was love-at-first sight. I tend to believe Maria Teresa's version, because its hard to fathom that the heir to a throne could simply change his name and go incognito in a neighboring country. I mean, Maria Teresa had to have seen Henri in a magazine such as Hola, Point de Vue or Royals, etc... I can't believe that he could have fooled her for so many years.

I love it!! The romantic version sounds like it's torn from a Mills & Boon novel.:wub:

The Grand Duke was introduced to her as Henri Clarvaux or something to that effect. Maria Teresa had no idea that he was a Prince according to the story.Remember that this was the late seventies and early eighties and the dissemination of info is not what it is today with the internet etc.
Maria Teresa and he were both studying political science in Switzerland.

I vaguely remember hearing it was a "set up" and that she knew someone who introduced her to him. However, I think it's likely she had no idea who he was and that she did cry when she found out, thinking he was just trifling with her. Either way, it's really romantic. :flowers:

I vaguely remember hearing it was a "set up" and that she knew someone who introduced her to him. However, I think it's likely she had no idea who he was and that she did cry when she found out, thinking he was just trifling with her. Either way, it's really romantic. :flowers:

What!!?? Maria Teresa has stated in several interviews that when Henri attended the University of Geneva, he lived with a family named Sanz de Acedo. They were good friends with both Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and Maria Teresa's parents.

Their son, Javier, knew that Maria Teresa would be attending the same university and asked her if she would show Henri around. Maria Teresa knew Henri was a Luxembourg prince before she met him. (BTW, Javier Sanz is Prince Louis Xavier's godfather.)

Career and education of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
In October 1959, at the time of the Cuban Revolution, Maria Teresa Mestre left Cuba with her parents, because the new government headed by Fidel Castro confiscated her family properties. The family settled in New York City, where, as a young girl, she was a pupil at Marymount School. From 1961 she carried on her studies at the Lycée Français de New York. In her childhood, Maria Teresa Mestre took ballet and singing courses. She practices skiing, ice-skating and water sports. She has lived in Santander, Spain, and Geneva, Switzerland.

In 1980 she graduated from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva with a degree in political sciences. While studying there, she met her future husband Henri of Luxembourg.
Source: Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom