Maria Teresa's Citizenship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bad_barbarella

Courtier
City
Country
Canada
i was reading in luxembourg to get citizenship you have to live there for 10 years... did she have citizenship before she married henri?

i think so... it would be the same that happened with mary in denmark.

So, something was passed especially before the proper authorities to grant Maria Teresa a quick citizenship?

well, i don't think it was like that. when you marry a foreigner, in most of the countries, the person gains the citizenship of the one who is from the country where the couple is living.

That would make sense. Besides how could she have been the Hereditary GDess in Luxembourg but not even a citizen of that country?

I certainly wouldn't understand how she could be Hereditary Princess without citizenship. It makes sense that after the marriage, she would gain citizenship, however wasn't something passed through Parliament before Mary of Denmark's engagement in which she became a citizen before her marriage? I asked if that was the case with Henri and Maria Teresa because their is an engagement period and wondered.

Is is true that some of the Princesses like Maxima still hold citizenship in their native countries? I remember reading that Maxima had dual citizenship, but don't know if it was really true or still the case. Sorry for being OT.

yes, maxima has a dual citizenship. the same, i suppose, as mary donaldson, and maria teresa. gaining a citizenship doesn't mean loosing the other one. they are citizens of argentina, australia and cuba, although they don't reside there, just the same as other people.

Last edited:
Actually the Crown Princess Mary does not have dual citzenship.:)

doesn't she? so she now is only a danish citizen?

i heard that any member of the royal family has to get the approval of the grand duke and the parliment to approve an engagement for marrage... is this true?

that would be bad if they got a no and couldnt marry who they loved

Maria Teresa became a Luxembourg citizen when she married Henri in 1981.

While this was possible in the past, for example current Grand Duchess Maria Teresa was also granted citizenship when she married then Crown Prince Henri, this law was abolished in the 2008 reform. From wort.lu, Wort.lu - Stéphanie Luxembourg nationality law stirs debate on naturalisation

It was mentioned that Maria Teresa have or have had Cuban citizenship before her marriage, I wonder if that is true? She was born Cuban and had Cuban citizenship at birth, but she and her family left Cuba in 1957 after the revolution there, and I wonder what happened to those citizens that left Cuba then, did the new government revoke the citizenship of those who left Cuba or not.

I know that Cuban refugees to the U.S. could get an American citizenship in 1966 through the Cuban Refugee Adjustment Act, so it's possible that Maria Teresa and her family became American citizens then.

I've heard that you can not renounce to your country of birth nationality.

I guess you could renounce you're country of birth nationality but whether or not a government would act on revoking you're citizenship is another matter.

I've heard that you can not renounce to your country of birth nationality.

You will always "be born" where you were born. However, some nation's require you renounce your citizenship if you want to become a citizen of the new state. Other states are more relaxed about it and some have absolute bonhomie about it and allow dual citizenship with certain countries. Its all about the laws in the country from which you seek citizenship.

You will always "be born" where you were born. However, some nation's require you renounce your citizenship if you want to become a citizen of the new state. Other states are more relaxed about it and some have absolute bonhomie about it and allow dual citizenship with certain countries. Its all about the laws in the country from which you seek citizenship.

Thank you :flowers::flowers: I had no idea about i.

In Maxima's case Argentina does not allow you to renounce your Argentinian citizenship. It was a bit of a sore point when she married and acquired Dutch citizenship.

In many European countries it haven't been possible to have more than one citizenship until the last decade or so. When a person applied for citizenship in a new country they lost their old citizenship. I know that the U.S. have allowed dual citizenship, about 30 years ago or so a Swedish ice-hockey player playing in the U.S. had applied for a U.S. passport to make it easier to travel with his American team, but he still believed that he was a Swedish citizen too. He was supposed to play for Sweden at a World Championship in Ice-Hockey when it was discovered that he had a U.S. passport and he was sent home disgraced because that meant that he had automatically lost his Swedish citizenship when he became a U.S. citizen.

Last edited:
As a swedish hockey fan, I remember the incident that Meraude mentions. It was during the 1998 Olympics in Nagaon. Ulf Samuelsson, who played in the NHL at the time, had applied for and received US citizenship. What he didn't know whas the this meant the his swedish citizenship was automatically revoked. As a result he wasn't allowed to play for the swedish hockey team (Tre Kronor) in the tournament.

The citizenship laws in Sweden has been changed since that. These days it's allowed to have dual citizenship in Sweden.

can't believe the lack of knowledge here

you guys know nothing about citizenship...i cringed reading through these posts

In the Netherlands dual citizenship is also not allowed but... when the old country has a law that does not permit the revoking of a citizenship (like Argentina), then a double citizenship is allowed, as there is no alternative.

Queen Máxima of the Netherlands has both the Netherlands as well the Argentinean citizenship, purely because she is technically not able to revoke her native citizenship. There are so many countries in the world and every country has its own regulations concerning the citizenship.

Back
Top Bottom