Grand Duke Henri - Rex Or Not?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USCtrojan

Royal Highness
City
Phoenix
Country
United States
Does Grand Duke Henri use the R sometimes when signing his name? HM Queen Elizabeth is at times called or refered to as Elizabeth Regina, the King and Queen of Spain have signed this years Christmas card ending their names with R - (Juan Carlos R & Sofia R). Is this a title? or a name for a Grand Duke (current head of state of Luxembourg) like it is for kIngs and Queens? You would like to think so being that Henri is no less then Margarethe of Denmark, Elizabeth II of Great Britain, Juan Carlos of Spain or any other monarchs or heads of state. Does anyone know?

Do we know how the Grand Duke signs his name? Do we have an example anywhere?

Ahhh nice.

That does kinda suck though for the Grand Dukes. Too bad it isn't a universal thingy for them.... Haha.... There is not title in Latin for Grand Duke that HRH might use?

Dux Magnus is a clever title, but I think it's more understated and effective to just sign "Henri". The royal family of Luxembourg seem to hit just the right note of hereditary significance and that humility which becomes a Christian ruler. They seem to me to be a model for other rulers, even though they have had some dust-ups like Louis' early entrance into fatherhood, which they handled remarkably well. Their scandals are small and just show they are human. No egregious fatuousness.

Dux Magnus might be over the line.

I think an example of Henri's signature can be found under Ceremony and Protocol - royal signature's thread. He simply signs Henri.

I think it's fine for him to sign Henri, but I am surprised that there isn't a Latin style for Grand Dukes. The Pope signs as Benedictus PP and Kings and Queens are usually so-and-so R, so its a bit of an anomaly.

Dux Magnus is a clever title, but I think it's more understated and effective to just sign "Henri". The royal family of Luxembourg seem to hit just the right note of hereditary significance and that humility which becomes a Christian ruler. They seem to me to be a model for other rulers, even though they have had some dust-ups like Louis' early entrance into fatherhood, which they handled remarkably well. Their scandals are small and just show they are human. No egregious fatuousness.

Dux Magnus might be over the line.

I think "Dux Magnus" is rather clever, but otherwise I completely agree with everything else you posted.

This family has only recently entered my radar even though I have been aware of them for many years of course...and they have quickly become my favorites.:flowers:

They are so very impressive...warm and accessible while remaining completely Royal, physically affectionate without being vulgar, beautiful to look at, stylish without descending into pop culture style "icons".

They are unabashedly devout.

The Nassaus have held onto something that most of the other Royal Houses have lost or are in the process of losing....a sense of mystique and majesty.

They seem thoroughly modern, yet from an altogether completely different era. :whistling:

There is a Latin style for Grand Duke, it's Magnus Dux, Grand duke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , as I mentioned in the post above your. One reason for why not using the M.D. could be that it is also short for Medecinae Doctor, a Doctor of Medicine.

I did see your post, but I meant to say there isn't a Latin style for it that was widely used. My mistake:flowers:

I also agree completely with Mariel1 about the Luxembourg Royal Family. They are definitely a wonderful example for all royals:)

I did see your post, but I meant to say there isn't a Latin style for it that was widely used.
I can't say that the Latin forms of Rex and Regina (or for other Latin names for royal and noble titles) are in common use today among royals, perhaps with the exception of queen Elizabeth. When it comes to the Spanish royal couple, the R after their names I would think are for the Spanish words for king (rey) and queen (reina), not for the Latin Rex and Regina. In the Catholic church Latin is still in use and therefore it's not surprising that the pope signs with PP after his name.

RoyalistRiley: What about Moonmaiden23's post about the RF of Luxembourg?

signature of His Majesty,King Juan Carlos I of Spain

Juan_Carlos_I_of_Spain_Signature.svg

signature of Her Majesty,Queen Sofia of Spain

Queen_Sof%C3%ADa_of_Spain_Signature.svg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this family! I agree with all the points made. I especially admire their seriousness and devotion when it comes to their Faith. I wish other Royalty had that !!!

I think he just signs "Henri".

It is the same as in the Netherlands (until 1890 both the Netherlands and Luxembourg were together under the same Sovereign): the name only. Outside the country the signature is extendedn with an R (the King) of -sometimes- "de Luxembourg" (the Grand-Duke).

In the own country:
Willem-Alexander8.jpg

Out the own country the R of 'Rex' is added: see picture.

Back
Top Bottom