Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 8: June 2018 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of His interviews with representatives of European institutions and organizations to discuss their missions and the many challenges and issues facing the European Union, His Royal Highness the Grand Duke Henri received in audience Mr. Klaus-Heiner Lehne, President of the European Court of Auditors.

https://scontent.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....=e579c02314e35b8a6f62fd0d4d647dae&oe=603527F1

Today 27 January at the Grand Ducal Palace,the Grand Duke Henri received in audience ambassadors for the delivery of their credentials.

https://t.co/M9TYXLVmQQ?amp=1

GD Henri congratulated Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, on his re-election as President of the Portuguese Republic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es1dZZHXAAUZpCZ?format=jpg&name=large

As part of His interviews with representatives of European institutions and organizations to discuss their missions and the many challenges and issues facing the European Union, the Grand Duke received in audience Mr. Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank (EIB).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmLc9oLPIU/

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, January 29, Grand Duke Henri has sworn in Yves Arend as the new Director of the Marshal's Office (from February 1, 2021 on):

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And he had a meeting with Jacques Santer, Honorary Minister of State of Luxembourg and former President of the European Commission:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Grand Duke Henri visited the Seniorie St. Joseph in Pétange to meet and discuss with residents who have received the COVID-19 vaccine booster.

Grand-Duke Henri received in audience Mr. Hoffmann, President @Team_Luxembourg to discuss the situation of the sports world following the health crisis. Discussions also focused on the key role of sport in a strategy of economic and social recovery.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtPYJGsXEAUiuag?format=jpg&name=large

On the occasion of World Cancer Day, the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Honorary President of the Cancer Foundation, send a message

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, February 5, Grand Duke Henri received M. Schmit, the Ombudsman for Children and Youth (OKaJu) and M. Schlechter (formerly OKaJu) to discuss "the role & the challenges the mediator faces in the promotion, the rescue & the protection of the rights of the child":

** Pic **

Afterwards he received Fernand Ernster, President and Mr. Nicolas Henckes, Director of the Luxembourg Confederation of Commerce (CLC):

** Pic **

Last edited:
The Cover page of Point de Vue is an old Picture.
Now the Grand Duchess is blond, see above

February 14 will be Henri and Maria Teresa's 40th wedding anniversary. Here are some excepts translated from their interview in the current issue of PdV magazine.

Henri and Maria Teresa of Luxembourg: A Valentine's Day like no other

A winter Sunday. An unvarnished conversation whose charm we are afraid to break at every moment, which we live as a moment of grace, as a privileged witness. Simple words, true words, almost whispered, with extreme sweetness. On the eve of their wedding anniversary, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg evoke the life they chose to build together, with the strength of their love. "These forty years have been wonderful for me," said the sovereign. "I'm just asking that this last and that we can end our lives together. In a long time." A glance exchanged, a silence, then his wife launches: "What do I want? That we spend the years to come in a crescendo of happiness. When you have a love as strong as ours, all the pains, the difficulties are overcome to arrive at what is best." [...]

Memories are jostled, emotions reappear. "Our wedding day was the height of happiness," smiles the Grand Duke, "the realization of a life project hoped for and developed for four years in Geneva. We had a lot of sunshine, but terrible cold, and despite that, an incredible crowd all the way to the cathedral, it was crazy." The Grand Duchess continues, "I was on a little cloud, overwhelmed by the reaction of all these people who were calling my name. On the balcony, I blew them a kiss to respond to their enthusiasm and that sealed something between us. The condition of exile in which I grew up, after my family left Cuba, had created in me a considerable void of national belonging. Love also gave me the homeland to which I aspired." [...]

Equally astonishing is the account of Maria Teresa and Henri's meeting in Geneva in the fall of 1975. "After undergoing appendicitis, I arrived a few weeks late at the University of Political Science," said the Grand Duke. My parents had friends in Geneva, the Sanz de Acedo family, also close to the parents of Maria Teresa, whom they asked to facilitate my integration. They are the ones who introduced us to each other. [...] Maria Teresa who was following the same course, helped me to fill in the registration papers, made me visit the library. A few weeks later, we were together all the time on the benches of the university. We didn't listen to classes much. So much so that we missed the first few years. “Laughter from the Grand Duchess.” I remember, Mr. Sanz wrote to your mother so that the fault wouldn't fall on me and explained that the first year is very difficult."

"You never doubted that we would succeed in getting married, but I was very afraid, "resumed the Grand Duchess. The obstacles were very numerous, not only the authorization of the sovereign, the Grand Duke Jean, but also that of government. "The historian and court marshal Christian Calmes often came to Geneva to meet with Henri who introduced him to me. He was adorable, the three of us had become very close. Back in Luxembourg, he spoke about me to PM Pierre Werner. With such kindness that at one point the PM asked him, "Who is in love with her, you or the prince hereditary?" Shortly before the announcement of the engagement, [...] the Prime Minister was waiting for me in the Grand Duke's office. [,,,] "So, you are very much in love? I answered yes and burst out laughing. We had a long conversation, and he gave his approval."

Last edited:
Used to be a joke that men want to get married on a holiday as it makes it easier to remember when their anniversary is ?

40 years is a big anniversary. Hopefully they can find some way to make it special even with everything going on.

They've put a lot of furniture in that room...

That is taken in Luxembourg where the Grand Duchess is not.
Old Pictures , her hairdo changed !

That is taken in Luxembourg where the Grand Duchess is not.
Old Pictures , her hairdo changed !

The journalist describes meeting them for the interview at the castle on a "winter afternoon," so I suppose she is back in Luxembourg? Her hair is the same as in her last two video messages, I think.

The journalist describes meeting them for the interview at the castle on a "winter afternoon," so I suppose she is back in Luxembourg? Her hair is the same as in her last two video messages, I think.

It does appear GD Maria Teresa is back in Luxembourg with her husband at least for the media blitz surrounding their 40th wedding anniversary. Warm, loving photos of the GD couple, good for them! :flowers:

This interview is given before.

In Noblesse et Royautés a Luxemburger Poster wrote that on 14 February she saw no no Flag on Colmar Berg Castle
no Flowershop from Luxembourg will sent Roses...

:previous:

Acoordiong to 'Wort' the interview has caused confusion.

https://www.wort.lu/de/politik/gros...orgt-fuer-verwirrung-602c0469de135b9236cd5a66

https://luxtimes.lu/luxembourg/43055-grand-duke-paris-match-interview-was-unauthorised

In the interview Henri complains that his wife's role was 'erased'. These remarks were not cleared in advance with PM Bettel or with the court marshal Yuriko Backes.

--
If Henri and MT can not overcome their obvious resentment towards the governments decision concerning the Waringo report perhaps it is time for them to pack their bags and leave the function to a couple that will not let their egos clutter their judgement.

They were complains before Bettel was Prime Minister , but Jean Claude Juncker the then Prime Minister was Grand Ducallist...and did not dare to do anything.
Grand Duke Jean was then still alive.

The interview of the Grand Duke to Paris Match as Head of State without any agreement of the Prime Minister , the Goverment , his Court continues...
Now jeannot Waringo says he was surprised because it is against his "Rapport" .

Suite...

Grand Duke Henri received Michael O'Flaherty, Director of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, today, February 23:

** Pic **

I have to say I'm shocked to see the couple conduct an interview without permission properly. The comments from the Court Marshal are shocking really, I can't imagine any other Court Marshal making them about their sovereign. Clearly there are deep issues at play here.

I have to say I'm shocked to see the couple conduct an interview without permission properly. The comments from the Court Marshal are shocking really, I can't imagine any other Court Marshal making them about their sovereign. Clearly there are deep issues at play here.

Yes, this would hardly happen in another monarchy.
The Marshal of the Luxembourg Court said that the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess can give interviews, but it has to be agreed with the Court. Obviously Henri and Maria Teresa are free to express themselves, but there are things they should not say.
I think the Grand Duke should abdicate to clean up the image of the monarchy. Henri and Maria Teresa look disgusted.

I mean, really where else can you imagine comments like this:

Yet adopting the recommendations from the so-called Waringo report remained a "learning process" for the royal couple, she [Court Marshal Yuriko Backes] added.

Backes, a former diplomat who was apointed at the court to oversee the reforms on behalf of the government, told national broadcaster RTL there was no longer a "climate of fear” at the court

Bettel on Tuesday talked to lawmakers in a closed-door session about progress made in reforming the court after the Waringo report. According to parliament's website, Bettel had said that good progress had been made, but that there is still work to be done.

https://www.luxtimes.lu/en/luxembou...iew-was-unauthorised-6033ce3cde135b9236b126a3

Wow, Guillaume and Stephanie better be prepared to take over if needed; it seems the grand ducal couple didn't learn much from the previous debacle: using your wedding anniversary to complain about the treatment of your wife is not the best way forward...

Last edited:
The Grand Duke's interview with Paris Match magazine was not authorized.
The royal couple spoke about state affairs without telling the government, the court marshal said.

https://translate.google.com/transl...nterview-was-unauthorised&prev=search&pto=aue

So...are they Heads of State or political prisoners?? Why do they need to have "authorization" for a Paris Match interview??

That is taking things way too far imo!

ETA: I posted my comments before
reading about the content of the interview. I am sorry...GD Henri simply doesn't come off as terribly bright....

Last edited:
ETA: I posted my comments after reading about the content of the interview. I am sorry...GD Henri simply doesn't come off as terribly bright....

No he doesn't despite being monarch for over 20 years he should by now know what he can and can't talk about or rather complain about.

I did the same Moonmaiden - first I thought well come on this is the 21st century and your saying a Head of State can't speak out without approval - but actually when you look into it there are two points 1) Henri is not permitted to speak about political /government matters without having it approved by the Court Marshal - effectively the CEO of the Cour. Fair enough to be honest, that is a requirement of nearly every European sovereign and if Henri knew this and didn't follow it that makes him pretty reckless or stupid or both
2)what he said was very stupid anyway, criticising the outcome of the official government report. Even if he was allowed to speak out without approval on such matters its a stupid thing to say as personal feelings can not interfere with official government actions.

I'm amazed and very saddened by how quickly things seem to have spiralled out of control in Luxembourg. I wonder why. It seems perhaps alot was going on before but just not reported on or maybe the former PM Mr Junker had tighter handling of the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess.

Obviously they are not political prisoners and have freedom of expression like everyone else. They cannot talk about political or court matters without an agreement with the court mareshal.
I think this situation is getting out of hand, because the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess do not have a good relationship with the court and the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom