Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 8: June 2018 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the same Moonmaiden - first I thought well come on this is the 21st century and your saying a Head of State can't speak out without approval - but actually when you look into it there are two points 1) Henri is not permitted to speak about political /government matters without having it approved by the Court Marshal - effectively the CEO of the Cour. Fair enough to be honest, that is a requirement of nearly every European sovereign and if Henri knew this and didn't follow it that makes him pretty reckless or stupid or both
2)what he said was very stupid anyway, criticising the outcome of the official government report. Even if he was allowed to speak out without approval on such matters its a stupid thing to say as personal feelings can not interfere with official government actions.

I'm amazed and very saddened by how quickly things seem to have spiralled out of control in Luxembourg. I wonder why. It seems perhaps alot was going on before but just not reported on or maybe the former PM Mr Junker had tighter handling of the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess.

Yes, I have read in the European press that former PM Juncker was sort of the "Maria Teresa Whisperer". He knew how to handle her.
It's when he left his position that the situation at the Grand Ducal Court rapidly deteriorated.:sad:

I'm appalled by how the couple serving for over 20 years could have made such a "rookie mistake".

In one part of the interview the Grand Duchess is basically crying sexism by saying:

“While Luxembourg wants to be exemplary in matters of equality between women and men, there is without question a sort of misogyny in wanting to expunge the Grand Duke’s spouse.”

https://delano.lu/d/detail/news/grand-duchess-alleges-misogyny-role-palace-pruned/213441

Perhaps it was intentional and they are deliberately causing provocation because they are tired of being Grand Duke and Grand Duchess.

Last edited:
:previous: I didn't think of it that way but you could be on to something. The couple might prefer being forced out....the optics of simple abdication so they can enjoy a luxurious retirement in Biarritz would NOT be great.

Such a thing would make them appear selfish and self indulgent.:ermm:

What a disappointment the GD couple has become.

Last edited:
I think this situation is getting out of hand, because the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess do not have a good relationship with the court and the government.

Even worse, both parties do not even bother to hide their poor relationship from the public for the PR's sake.

Pretty disappointed because the GD couple used to be dutiful and dignified (at least in my eyes). Now they looks spoiled and pretentious.

The Waringo Report isn't the worst part of this turmoil. The worst part is how the couple continuously reacts poorly toward it. Using sexuality/sexism to defend any criticism against them (or mostly GDss) is nonsense. As a woman I found both GD's "why attack a woman" and GDss' "misogyny" disgusting.

I don't know is it a good timing for abdication (especially for the HGD couple). But if it happens, I hope Guillaume would have the courage to cut down their budget/resource.

We are a "binome" said the Grand Duke , this is an attack against Waringo Rapport

The Grand Duke is back alone, strange binome , each Consort is in his Country ...

Last edited:
Acoordiong to 'Wort' the interview has caused confusion.

https://www.wort.lu/de/politik/gros...orgt-fuer-verwirrung-602c0469de135b9236cd5a66

https://luxtimes.lu/luxembourg/43055-grand-duke-paris-match-interview-was-unauthorised

In the interview Henri complains that his wife's role was 'erased'. These remarks were not cleared in advance with PM Bettel or with the court marshal Yuriko Backes.

--
If Henri and MT can not overcome their obvious resentment towards the governments decision concerning the Waringo report perhaps it is time for them to pack their bags and leave the function to a couple that will not let their egos clutter their judgement.

Weren't the Grand Duchess's remarks in defense of her role in her Paris Match interview of June 2020 along similar lines? I wonder why the government did not make a public complaint then. Is it perhaps ironically because the Grand Duchess is only a consort and not under the same responsibility to clear her remarks with the government?

Today, March 2, Grand Duke Henri received Jean Leyder and Luc Dhamen, former and new Director of the Administration of Public Buildings (ABP):

** Pic **

Weren't the Grand Duchess's remarks in defense of her role in her Paris Match interview of June 2020 along similar lines? I wonder why the government did not make a public complaint then. Is it perhaps ironically because the Grand Duchess is only a consort and not under the same responsibility to clear her remarks with the government?
I don't remember when that Paris Match interview happened but I suspect the government was preoccupied with the pandemic so the Grand Duchess' remarks weren't high priority.

I'd like to know of other family members' activities so I disagree with limiting representation to only the Head of State as MT claims the government is doing although that might not be true. Given the dismal state of the court, it's reasonable to remove the source of the problem (allegedly the Grand Duchess), reorganize and hire, and clearly define roles and limits. The organization chart shows "Bureau de la Grand Duchesse" so there is a place for the consort.

It's unfortunate MT's behavior may impact future consorts' role. I'm curious about the government's definition official vs. private activities. There was an article that considered MT's "Stand Speak Rise Up" as private. Would MT's UN and microfinance work be private as well? What about the Fondation Grand-Ducale? Does official only mean the ceremonial and official patronages/missions? Henri and MT should be patient and work WITH the court reorganization and government rather than fighting it.

Last edited:
First of all during these difficult moments the Consort should be in her Country and support with her husband People young and old , Institutions , Hospitals , etc.. as Queen Mathilde, Maxima and Letitzia are doing so well?
When will she come back to Luxembourg , for the Octave and national feast in June ?

Is MT living outside of Luxembourg full time?

Currently, her primary residence seems to be in Biarritz. Previously it was Paris (while spending a bit more time in Luxembourg than nowadays it seems). She does however visit Luxembourg once in a while.

Currently, her primary residence seems to be in Biarritz. Previously it was Paris (while spending a bit more time in Luxembourg than nowadays it seems). She does however visit Luxembourg once in a while.

How did that work with her being so toxic to the workplace is she was barely ever there with primary residence being in Paris? How do her and the Duke keep up their relationship? Odd.

How did that work with her being so toxic to the workplace is she was barely ever there with primary residence being in Paris? How do her and the Duke keep up their relationship? Odd.

The reports of the toxic workplace went back to 2015, long before their new home in Biarritz. Or even before she spent more time in Paris.

Before the report came out she did spend quite a bit of the year in Luxembourg. And when they bought the home in Biarritz it was stated that it would not be their primary residence for some years to come as both her and Henri had duties back in Luxembourg. Due to the report coming out, and covid seemingly, she seems to have made it her primary home.

Henri is often with her in France. They have done interviews there together. The distance when he is in Luxembourg doesn't seem to bother their marriage.

GD Henri accompanied by Mr. Dan Kersch, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Sports, attended the meticulous preparation of elite athletes for the Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games in Tokyo in the High Performance Training and Recovery Center (HPTRC), training pool, diagnostic laboratory and Arena.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL_W_x1D5W_/

Grand Duke Henri visited the head office of the Luxembourg League of Mental Hygiene today, March 4. The LLMH is celebrating its 65th anniversary this year:

** monarchie gallery **

The reports of the toxic workplace went back to 2015, long before their new home in Biarritz. Or even before she spent more time in Paris.

Before the report came out she did spend quite a bit of the year in Luxembourg. And when they bought the home in Biarritz it was stated that it would not be their primary residence for some years to come as both her and Henri had duties back in Luxembourg. Due to the report coming out, and covid seemingly, she seems to have made it her primary home.

Henri is often with her in France. They have done interviews there together. The distance when he is in Luxembourg doesn't seem to bother their marriage.

I I remember the article/interview with the Grand Duchess correctly, she stated that the Grand Duke still had his duties in Luxembourg. I don't recall her mentioning her own duties.

Grand Duke Henri attended the screening of the film "Living Witnesses" dealing with racism & intolerance towards minorities. This documentary warns viewers of the danger of a wait-and-see attitude in the face of these threats & recalls our duty to remember

https://monarchie.lu/fr/actualites/avant-premiere-du-film-living-witnesses

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMO59pAia72/

In her capacity as President of the Luxembourg Red Cross, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa received in audience at the Grand Ducal Palace Mr. Michel Simonis, Director General, to follow the progress of current projects and take stock of the past year, heavily marked by the health crisis.

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=f8e8e3f2adf1e221b4399392af71c04f&oe=6070036B
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=ec86d7deee1a09e825dca3713e784c6e&oe=606CB281

https://monarchie.lu/fr/actualites/...eur-general-de-la-croix-rouge-luxembourgeoise

Last edited:
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa visited the “BENU Village” eco-village in Esch-sur-Alzette, a player in the socio-ecological circular economy. This UpCycling initiative, which aims to use as few new resources as possible, is also a place of participation and integration which rents space to professionals and start-ups responding to common ecological and social values.

Visite de l'atelier "BENU Village" | Cour grand-ducale

RTL Today - Interview: Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and her fight against preconceptions
In the context of International Women's Day, the newspaper Essentiel published an exclusive interview with the Luxembourgish royal on Monday.

When asked about her experiences of ever being reduced to traditional gender roles, the Grand Duchess affirmed that it was inevitable even for her to not be pushed into certain positions where she was no longer able to behave as she desired. She explicitly referred to it as a veritable "fight" to make herself heard and be met with respect.

[...]

The Grand Duchess also revealed that she has not yet been vaccinated against Covid-19 and that she will wait for her turn.

Upon enquiry from our colleagues at RTL, the Palace conveyed that it did not need to authorise the interview as the Grand Duchess spoke on her own behalf, not as a royal representative. Officials also informed us that the Grand Ducal couple did not ask for permission prior to the recent interview published in Paris Match. Court Marshal Yuriko Backes, who was a guest at RTL Radio in February, noted that she would probably not have allowed the publication given the form of the article. During the interview in question, the Grand Duchess accused the country of practicing a form of misogyny for trying to "erase" her.
«J'ai dû me battre contre certains a priori, oui» - L'essentiel (Google translation)

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
So, she is continuing to get her story out about how she is the victim...

Interesting that the newspaper wanted to do an interview with 'random private person' Maria Teresa instead of with the Grand Duchess...

Last edited:
Grand Duchess Maria Theresa gave an interview to ¡HOLA! for her 40th wedding anniversary.
https://www.hola.com/realeza/luxemb...-de-luxemburgo-40-aniversario-boda-entrevista

I'm noting these two parts of the interview.

About children:
"The important thing for my husband and me was that our children, those who are not called to ascend the Throne, would not depend on the Crown. Guillaume and his wife, Stephanie, as heirs, are preparing very well to assume, in the future, the responsibilities of their role. But the other four have been brought up by my husband and I to feel free and independent, understanding that otherwise they might feel very unhappy."

"Guillaume is very happy in her marriage and is now enjoying a lot with her little Charles, who is a baby wonder. Felix and Claire are a beautiful couple, with their two children, Amalia and Liam. Felix deals with several companies and in particular, together with his wife, his vineyard in the south of France. Louis is fine, though, unfortunately, he divorced; he has two adorable children and works as a coach and mediator for people with dyslexia, a condition he also lives with. Alexandra, who has just turned thirty, our only daughter, is beautiful, inside and out, and very discreet with her private life. She works with refugees, is dedicated to their integration. And Sebastian, the youngest, is very interested in organic farming. All four live outside Luxembourg, as my husband and I recommended, so that they could feel freer and more autonomous."

On the role of monarchies today:
"In the context in which we are, more than ever, monarchies have the task of uniting, being very close to the population to know their problems, shedding light and being spokespersons. They must not only be representation and symbol, but also engage, gather, serve, and make people feel we are there for them."

Last edited:
Very interesting excerpts. I liked the "being brought up to be independent, living outside Luxembourg" parts. A rather smart approach - just how many working royals do they need there? And "creating" parts for them might prove problematic since taxpayers are hardly likely to be happy to what could be seen as officialized "mooching off" public resources.

Moving along with times or even ahead of them is to be commended.

Very interesting excerpts. I liked the "being brought up to be independent, living outside Luxembourg" parts. A rather smart approach - just how many working royals do they need there? And "creating" parts for them might prove problematic since taxpayers are hardly likely to be happy to what could be seen as officialized "mooching off" public resources.

Moving along with times or even ahead of them is to be commended.

Yes, the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess were very intelligent in that. They encouraged their youngest children to be independent and to live outside Luxembourg in order to have more privacy. They predicted the changing times and the future.
I think that all the children of the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess are happy and doing what they like and we still have the opportunity to see them from time to time on National Day and other events.

All the same, it is a bit bad when the Grand Duchess is alos living outside Luxembourg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom