Why a wedding at the Vatican for Albert and Paola?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
I was wondering if anybody knows why Albert & Paola/ the court came up with the idea of them getting married at the Vatican instead of in Belgium. And why it became such a big issue in Belgium and esp. why Princess Lilian was blamed for all this.
In the end they married in Brussels btw.

Is the Belgium Queen one of the ones who has "white privelages" or what ever it is called (the permission to wear all-white at Vatican functions instead of the customery black)?

Is the Belgium Queen one of the ones who has "white privelages" or what ever it is called (the permission to wear all-white at Vatican functions instead of the customery black)?

Yes, she is. But I don' think that's the reason. Maybe it's just simple: because Paola is Italian?

White privilege (royalty) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The White Privilege, or Privilège du blanc, is a privilege held by female Catholic Monarchs, also by female Catholic Consorts of Monarchs, wherein they are allowed to wear white when in an audience with the Pope.

Currently, should they choose to wear the traditional style of clothing, the White Privilege is held only by the Queens of Spain and Belgium, and the Grand Ducal Consort of Luxembourg, all of whose monarchies were awarded the Catholic Monarch designation in the past. As of June 2007, those to whom the White Privilege extends are Queen Sofia of Spain, Queen Paola of Belgium, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, and Maria Teresa, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

I was wondering if anybody knows why Albert & Paola/ the court came up with the idea of them getting married at the Vatican instead of in Belgium. And why it became such a big issue in Belgium and esp. why Princess Lilian was blamed for all this.

The meet at the Inauguaration of Pope Johannes XXIII. Perhaps this was a reason. And add to this that Paola was from an italian noble Family.

The then former King Leopold III cooked this up behind the backs of the government,he wanted the wedding at the Vatican,
but as officials got wind of it,there was a riot as to the mingling of Leopold wasn't appreciated in Belgium,at all as Leopold wasn't
popular and as Albert was an Heir (-Presumptive),the government had decided he should marry in Brussels.The Pope then kindly/
diplomatically denied a wedding at the Vatican.

Think Lilian was held responsible for scheming/mingling in,as she probably did as she always did to "pump up her volume".

Thanks Lucien! Any idea if Lilian realy was behind all this or was she just the scapegoat as usual?

She and Leopold did intervene, they didn´t want to have the wedding in Belgium so shortly after Leopold III had to abdicate, so this was their way of revenge or something.

I have to say that it would have been terribly odd had they not married in Belgium. It seems to me that Royals should marry in their country, or the country of their spouse (if both are royal). They are a symbol of the people, so the people should be able to take full advantage of the weddings, and indeed in this age of media and tourism, the economic advantages that come along with a royal wedding.

If Albert and Paola had married at the Vatican, who would have been the priest celebrant of the Wedding Mass and married them?

I imagine it would have been John XXIII himself. The pontiff was reported initially very enthusiastic about the idea of the brother of the very Catholic King of the Belgians marrying a beautiful young Italian princess whom he had met at the Papal coronation.

If not the pope, then certainly the primate of Belgium.

Last edited:
I believe Donna Paola wanted to marry 'from home' c.q. in her homeland. The couple also met each other at the Vatican. The groom's uncle and aunt were King and Queen of Italy, so I think there are a couple of reasons for such a consideration.

I think the couple married in Brussels because in the end Prince Albert was the Heir, being the first in line to the throne. The Belgian monarchy could use some good and happy news also, after the King's Crisis which forced King Leopold III to abdicate. Probably Princess Lilian also saw the marriage of her stepson Albert to a beautiful Italian Princess as an opportunity to present herself to the Gotha.

oh really? lol. I didn't know it was customary to wear black.

I didn't think people could get married at the Vatican?? I have never heard of anyone getting married there. Do you have to be royal or could anyone be married their with the popes blessing???

The Vatican is it's own tiny city-state. There are scores of very ancient and very beautiful chapels, basilicas, and churches within it's walls. Having a wedding there does not necessarily mean the ceremony will be taking place within the Apostolic Palace or the Sistine Chapel. Lord Nicholas Windsor was married in one of the Vatican churches and he and his new bride were immediately after received and blessed by Pope Benedict XVI.

So to answer your question...sure! With special permission you can get married at the Vatican.;)

The Vatican is it's own tiny city-state. There are scores of very ancient and very beautiful chapels, basilicas, and churches within it's walls. Having a wedding there does not necessarily mean the ceremony will be taking place within the Apostolic Palace or the Sistine Chapel. Lord Nicholas Windsor was married in one of the Vatican churches and he and his new bride were immediately after received and blessed by Pope Benedict XVI.

So to answer your question...sure! With special permission you can get married at the Vatican.;)
It def would be a beautiful place to get married. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom