King Albert II & Queen Paola - Current Events Part 5

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen is our Honory President. She loves la Chapelle. A lot of artists had to return home , that is sad8

"Queen Paola turns 83 today! Did you know that: ⁣
Paola Ruffo di Calabria is of Italian origin, but also of Belgian blood. His paternal grandmother, Laura Mosselman du Chenoy (1851-1925), came from a Brussels family. ⁣
If we delve into the Queen's family tree, we cannot ignore the Marquis de La Fayette, one of the great heroes of the American struggle for independence. La Fayette is one of Queen Paola's great-grandfathers. If we climb in the family tree of his mother through the women, we arrive at Anastasie de La Fayette, daughter of the famous marquis.
On the initiative of Queen Paola, modern and contemporary art were introduced to the Royal Palace, in particular the installation of #JanFabre with beetles in the Hall of Mirrors, the paintings of #MichaelBorremans, the flowers of #PatrickCorillon , the green paintings of # MartheWéry near the King's office and the photographs of # DirkBraeckman.⁣"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE_eT1Dl_eB/

————— ⁣

King Albert and Queen Paola have changed their contract of marriage. This has become clear from a notion by their notary in the State Gazette. The properties of the couple are now strictly separated for law.

The couple had already adapted their marriage contract in 2015, then opting for a limited sharing of property. With the new change, the common assets of the couple will have to be separated. If the majority goes to Paola, the possible inheritance of Delphine de Saxe-Cobourg, recently recognized as Albert's daughter, could be reduced. She is indeed not a heir to Queen Paola.

For the couple's three children, there is no change however, as they inherit from both their parents.

One royalty expert expressed this from a possible viewpoint of the Queen: "Having a coffee and a cookie with your husband's extramarital daughter is another category than leaving your wealth to her".

By the way, this change was made early this year, long before any verdict by the Brussels Court of Appeal on Albert's paternity and long before the "reconciliation" within the royal family. It wil have little effect for King Philippe and Princess Astrid (married to a wealthy banker). But Prince Laurent seems really cash strapped, having a partner without income and depending on a reduced dotation. It is believed Queen Paola wanted to make sure her children will be her beneficiaries. A few years ago she already bought a lovely vicarage in the Ardennes for the twin boys of Laurent.

Last edited:
Interesting move and given that it happened 'earlier this year', it happened AFTER the DNA-test proved that Albert was Delphine's father, so it is extremely likely that this was done in anticipation of the judge's decision that Delphine should indeed be treated as Albert's daughter.

Last edited:
We were told yesterday that King Albert and Queen Paola changed their contrat de Mariage. Separation des Biens again.
The Heirloom of Queen Paola is for her 3 Children.

I really wonder who think publishing that piece of news is advisable.... It's a private matter.

I really wonder who think publishing that piece of news is advisable.... It's a private matter.

Is it not legally required? That is what I assumed given that so many such notices are published in the State Gazette.

It is an obligation to publish the change of notarial acts in the Belgisch Staatsblad/Moniteur Belge. Only that it has been changed, not the Act itself is published.

Is there any particular reason royal experts are discussing it now, months after the news was published?

We were told yesterday that King Albert and Queen Paola changed their contrat de Mariage. Separation des Biens again.
The Heirloom of Queen Paola is for her 3 Children.

Assuming queen Paola outlives her husband.

Sad News
Since then all our newspapers are writing...ea séparation des biens may not be 50/50 but 70/30 or others...

Interesting move and given that it happened 'earlier this year', it happened AFTER the DNA-test proved that Albert was Delphine's father, so it is extremely likely that this was done in anticipation of the judge's decision that Delphine should indeed be treated as Albert's daughter.
I agree. Paola is just ensuring that Delphine doesn't get a part of her wealth.

I wonder how all of this works. Apparently all (or most?) was separate until 2015 then they decided to join it and now they are separating again. Could they legally suddenly award things (including villas and yachts) that were previously Albert's to Paola? Or could Delphine in that case require that it will be returned to Albert?

I wonder how all of this works. Apparently all (or most?) was separate until 2015 then they decided to join it and now they are separating again. Could they legally suddenly award things (including villas and yachts) that were previously Albert's to Paola? Or could Delphine in that case require that it will be returned to Albert?
Royal reporter Wim Dehandshutter tweeted that: - " Albert and Paola have this legal right. A family court judge explained me that this is a common way to transfer property from partner A's personal asset to partner B's one, by inserting them for a while in the community of property. Tax authorities don't ask for an explanation."

"King Albert interviewed by Stéphane Bern on 11 January , on France 3
The French journalist was received at the royal palace and the castle of Laeken as part of a special "Secrets of History" dedicated to Queen Elisabeth.
At the request of his son Philippe, King Albert II agreed to share with Stéphane Bern his personal memories of his grandmother, who looked after him like a mother, when Queen Astrid passed away."

https://soirmag.lesoir.be/346218/article/2020-12-30/le-roi-albert-interviewe-par-stephane-bern

Yes , we know that there will be a Secret d' Histoire dedicated to our Great Queen Elisabeth. We are looking forward. I suppose the Savoie will also meet Stephane Bern.

Now that will be interesting! We did not hear much from Queen Paola over the years. She was often a rather unknown figure. In the early 2000s there was a documentary about her where she spoke a little bit ('The Queen speaks' was the title IIRC and it was filmedduring a trip to Italy where she was filmed speaking to friends rather than receiving direct questions from the interviewer) but so much has happened since then.

Apparently the recordings happened over 10 days and were done in the Belvedere in Laeken and in the South of France.

The maker is Nicholas Delvaux, I assume it will be in French.

That seems rather late given their age.

Better late than never. I have no idea what the vaccination plan there is. Here, it's such a mess... and elderly are, alas, no priority.

I was thinking that. Even if they dont want to be seen to be getting special treatment, they are elderly and all elderly people you'd think would be being vacinncated by now...

I was thinking that. Even if they dont want to be seen to be getting special treatment, they are elderly and all elderly people you'd think would be being vacinncated by now...

Based on the information I was able to quickly find online, it seems that they are part of the rather broad category of 65+ (further divided according to age), for which vaccinations were expected to start in March. Only elderly living in care homes and health care workers were scheduled for the months January and February.

It's unfortunately quite normal for people in their age group to be vaccinated right now. Unfortunately, in continental Europe many people over the age of 80 (priority group!) have still not been vaccinated since enough vaccines, though ordered, have not been delivered yet. Whose fault that is exactly is a cause for contentious debate, but it's definitely not unusual.

I applaud them for not taking advantage of their position to get vaccinated earlier and for waiting in line with regular people at the vaccination centre.

Back
Top Bottom