King Albert II and Queen Paola - Current events part 4 - (July 2013 - current)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is actually more or less what is written in a biography about Philippe by Barend Leyts et all. They claimed that the relationship between father and son has always been frosty and that Albert II & the clique of senior courtiers actively tried to prevent Philippe from getting more responsibilities etc.

:previous:
It is sad to read about frosty relationship between King Albert and his eldest son. At the same time, King Albert voluntarily abdicated and should enjoy his retirement and allow his successor to do his job.

I dont have much info about belgian royals, but read somewhere that Philippe was practically raised by Baundoin and Fabiola, and is more close to them than his real parents...Is that true?

I have read in several books about the BRF that when it became clear that Baudouin and Fabiola would not have children of their own(Fabiola's final miscarriage was in 1968, when Philippe was about 8 years old) the Royal couple began to draw the boy more and more into their lives, as it was obvious that he would be Baudouin's heir.

He was seen as sensitive, painfully shy, awkward and devout, and he eventually married a woman who was more socially adept and who made him extremely happy....just like his uncle Baudouin.

IMO Phillipe and Mathidle have brought a freshness to the Belgian Monarchy which was lacking druing the reign of his father. they bring no scandals to their reign and I belive they will be a better king and Queen. Albert should just retire gracefully but he probably needs the extra money to pay off Delphine????

And Albert might be doing this out of spite since Philippe is doing really well in polls and people are in general having a good opinion of the beginning of his reign?
I wouldn't put it past him, he's always been a very selfish person and never truly cared for his children (Paola wasn't the mother of the year either).

3 loneless Children , for Christmas no Albert and no Paola at home !

Their Children even Prince Laurent succeeded nice family lives .

When I see King Philippe now being such a unexpected good King , his father never helped him as Crown prince
When I see Queen Mathilde smiling everywhere , Queen Paola was a very lazy Queen with good and many bad days.
To-morrow 15/11 we will see for the first time since 31 July the former King at the King's Feast.

Last edited:
this really is saddening, Reading about all this.
I am not a belgian, but I think that Philippe and Mathilde are too good and lovely to be harmed by these actions.

3 loneless Children , for Christmas no Albert and no Paola at home !

Their Children even Prince Laurent succeeded nice family lives .

When I see King Philippe now being such a unexpected good King , his father never helped him as Crown prince
When I see Queen Mathilde smiling everywhere , Queen Paola was a very lazy Queen with good and many bad days.
To-morrow 15/11 we will see for the first time since 31 July the former King at the King's Feast.

That's actually quite surprising, their children haven't made the same mistakes Albert and Paola did, they married very nice people who have helped them every step of the way, for example Laurent has had his fair share of scandals but nothing in terms of cheating on Claire (he's not THAT stupid and you can see that he loves her deeply) or being a negligent father, history isn't definitely repeating itself on them ;)

Queen Paola has attended a concert organized by Equinox and 'Muziekkapel Koningin Elisabeth - Chapelle musicale Reine Elisabeth' at the Flagey Hall in Brussels today, November 30.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery ** apa/picturedesk gallery **

Last edited:

Queen Paola and King Albert attended the annual Christmas concert of the Queen Paola Foundation at the Plaza Hotel in Brussels this evening, December 2, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Queen Paola attended a ceremony to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Child Focus, the foundation for missing and sexual exploited children, at the Federal Parliament in Brussels today, December 3, 2013.

** Pic ** belga gallery ** apa/picturedesk gallery **

King Albert and Queen Paola viewed the exhibition 'The body of Indian Art' at the Europalia India International Arts Festival at Bozar in Brussels this afternoon, December 12. Europalia is held every two years to celebrate the country's cultural heritage.

** belga gallery ** apa/picturedesk gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Here's a not-very-attractive story about former King Albert

Former Belgian king 'boycotting' public events after complaining his £760,000 yearly allowance is not enough to live on | Mail Online

The former Belgian King is said to be 'boycotting' public events after complaining that his allowance of £760,000 a year is 'not enough to live on'.

In November Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo responded to reports that Albert II felt he had been short-changed.
He said there would be no negotiations and the money paid to King Albert II would remain the same.
'The government is not going to change one comma' of the accord thrashed out earlier this year on annual payments to the royal family', he said.

If the new is true, it is absolutely inappropriate and unacceptable for the former monarch to behave this way .

Last edited:

King Albert and Queen Paola attended a gala concert of the Chapelle Musicale Reine Elisabeth at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels this evening, January 28, 2014 - it was the launch of the celebrations of the 75th anniversary of the Music Chapel.

** belga gallery ** facetoface ** apa/picturedesk **

Last edited:
I was just looking at the photos of Amedeo's engagement, and I barely recognized Paola. She looks so different with grey hair, although it is very attractive on her. When did she go grey?

Given her age, I think some time ago. I guess she dyed her hair.

They are looking so old in a few months.
As they have less money , we belgians are thinking a Joan of Arc hairdo and no color anymore ......

@slv -- LOL, I imagine her hair turned grey 20 years ago. I meant when did she stop coloring it? I was trying to figure it out from looking at recent pictures, and it seems like sometime last fall, around the time she had surgery.

I think the white color is very pretty, but very different from her old look.

I don't think the queen looks that much older, she is 77 after all! The new haircut actually spices it a bit up IMO, it makes her look modern and fun.
--
the first time that people saw Paola in public with this haircut was on Nov. 16th.

I wouldn't say she looks better or worse -- just different. The grey is very pretty -- as was the blonde -- so she looks great either way.

I haven't seen a close-up with her new haircut, so I don't have an opinion on that. :)

:previous:
I just checked Queen Paola's recent photos. Although she appears to be a bit slimmer, she looks the same to me.

Last edited:
The more pictures I've seen the more I like the grey/white hair. It's very pretty. She and king Albert do look very happy and exceedingly less stressed. Nice to see them out.

They entered the Church Laeken in the main entrance and left the Church on the back side ( the only ones )? Why King Philippe's will or King Albert's will.

I really hope not. That would be one of his worst moves ever, after so much crying poor and complaining because of the cuts to his salary.

Didn't he buy this one only a few years ago? IIRC the auction of the (Belgian) jewels of Pss M. Gabriella of Savoy happened at the same time as this purchase.

I doubt that he will buy a new one now, it seems that this is one of the things that he needs to let go of now he has a smaller dotation.

Given the upkeep costs and King Albert's complaints, it is sensible to sell the yacht in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom