King Albert II 20 years on the throne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn´t noticed that, but you are right. Did they removed it also at Baudouins enthronement?

I didn´t noticed that, but you are right. Did they removed it also at Baudouins enthronement?

I read that sometime ago but will have a look later for the article,I may have read it wrong,which can happen when translating articles :)

Won't Albert II be kind of scarred by being "the King who abdicated"?

Being a king is surely one of the best jobs in the world, and given (1) how many people want to be a king and (2) the fact that very few monarchs abdicate, and most remain king until they pass away, I find it kind of wimpy that Albert II abdicated. His actions trivialize the role of the King, by treating it as a job that you do only as long as you feel like it.

Look at King Michael of Romania--he is no longer officially King (not by his choice), but he serves his country loyally and performs many royal duties, even though it treated him terribly, and he's now 90 years old. It's not too much to ask that a reigning King keep at it, by comparison.

Last edited:
he is 79 and has said it is for health reasons. My feeling is that he has a terminal disease.

Won't Albert II be kind of scarred by being "the King who abdicated"?

Being a king is surely one of the best jobs in the world, and given (1) how many people want to be a king and (2) the fact that very few monarchs abdicate, and most remain king until they pass away, I find it kind of wimpy that Albert II abdicated. His actions trivialize the role of the King, by treating it as a job that you do only as long as you feel like it.

I don't think so. It seems to be becoming a bit common.

GD Jean of Luxembourg abdicated for his son some years ago. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands just abdicated for her son. The Pope abdicated recently. They didn't "have" to do it.

Also, he said he's doing it for health reasons. He feels his health will keep him from being able to execute his responsibilities properly. I think that sounds like a man looking out for his country's best interests and a man who takes his position seriously. I respect him for doing this. I don't see it as "wimpy."

Anyway, I'd be interested to know how many monarchs consider their job the best in the world, and in today's world, how many really want to be monarch.

Today in Royal History is 26th Enthronement Anniversary of King Albert II. He reigned for 20 years after abdicating in 2013 in favor of his son, now King Philippe of the Belgians.

Back
Top Bottom