Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has never been any substance delivered to names dropped of gentlemen alleged to have slept with Princess Paola. Even Belgian ministers (a particularly unappetising looking species) seem to have slept with the ravissante beauty, once Europe's most beautiful princess, if we have to believe the rumours. Yeah, sure. And no, Paola was not at all furtherer endangering the besieged Belgian monarchy, by sleeping around with politicians, under the eye of her strict brother-in-law King Baudouin. Yeah, sure.

Thanks.
seems to be a higly emotional issue to some here or some being too closely connected to that poor girl.
Delphine can do now wrong, Sybille a saint,
but Albert the devil himself and Paola even worse,
because he committed adultery while being married to her.
as soon as he did, she tried to catch up and
took any male surrounding her to her bedroom.
Ok :D

If Paola was so perfectly chaste and locked up by her brother-in-law and it was all rumor, why did Laurent take a DNA test?

If Paola was so perfectly chaste and locked up by her brother-in-law and it was all rumor, why did Laurent take a DNA test?

Prince Laurent never did a DNA test. He even refused to do one in the case Boël because he had the wish not to be dragged into it. Link: https://www.dhnet.be/buzz/le-prince...adn-de-delphine-boel-5419d3a935708a6d4d57167e

The Belgian journalist Frédéric Deborsu (RTBf), known from his controversial reportages, once claimed King Albert did a DNA-test to calm down a Laurent upset by media. (The alleged DNA-test proved Albert was his father). That is the only statement once and no one can check it as Frédéric Deborsu himself refused to explain any syllabe on it.

The same Frédéric Deborsu claimed that the marriage of Philippe and Mathilde was enforced and loveless. Prince Philippe would have been in love with Thomas de Marchant et d'Ansembourg (a Belgian lawyer from the Dutch comital family). That sort of clickbaits and warm muffins to boost book selling ratings. The statement on his marriage however caused a rare communiqué from Philippe to stress his happy family life. The count also directed the alleged love affair to Fairytale Land and stressed his happy marriage, blessed with three lovely demoiselles.

This is specimen of how unsubstantiated claims live an own life on the internet.

Last edited:
I do feel sympathy for Paola for her husband cheating on her, having a long term affair and fathering a child whilst married to her, that can't be at all easy to deal with, even if you accepted some straying. However that doesn't mean Delphine should be treated as a dirty little secret and suddenly cut off when her existence became public knowledge and she seems to have been a big part of the behind the scenes.

But how do you and others know Paola told Albert to cut D. off?
As long as it is just rumours, well.
It seems that the heat, summerbreak and COVID has caused a lot of free time to some and speculations go wild.:whistling:

After all Albert's behaviour seems a bit bizarre, I mean refusing the DNA testing .
We so not know why he dropped her, what if she blackmailed him and then he decided to cut her off? some here seem to be ready to expect the worst only for Albert.
I don't even know it it's true her children's names were on a list and I do not automatically blame Albert if so. People happen to find themselves on lists because they googled "bombing" and teenagers do such things. how old are her children btw?
he had a relationship with her and had the best advisors, I suppose, so why act that unlogical and bizzare though him being the father had never been a secret between those involved?
something very strong happened could be an answer and it's true Mme Boel wants attention and maybe name&heritage, I can't see other motivation, as she knew who her father is. many years passed by, having a good relationship, then what ?, being cut off, ......? then forcing him for DNA testing?
to me it's puzzling,better to focus on the proofed facts IMO and so far, she is going for more,
we'll see.
Albert not commenting does not proof her accusations but to me is simply a matter of education, when E2. does not complain/explain everybody praises her, some here declare Albert guilty for the same behaviour, it's unwise and unfair but I understand it's other opinions and highly emotional to some and some can simply not be objective, it' ok
but please understand I am and some others aswell. Thank you.

in love with Thomas de Marchant et d'Ansembourg (a Belgian lawyer from the Dutch comital family).

This is specimen of how unsubstantiated claims live an own life on the internet.

Wasn't there a Count Jan Mark Vladimir Anton de Marchant et d'Ansembourg who was the Dutch ambassador to Spain? I was once doing some research on Spanish royal decrees awarding the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and came across that family name in connection with a state visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the Netherlands.

After all Albert's behaviour seems a bit bizarre, I mean refusing the DNA testing .
We so not know why he dropped her, what if she blackmailed him and then he decided to cut her off? some here seem to be ready to expect the worst only for Albert.

It is indeed bizarre that he cut Delphine off after having a 30-year relationship with her. The simplest explanation is that he had an arrangement to keep in touch with his "other family" as long as it was a private affair and, if it became public, he would deny it. Of course it is wrong (especially by today's standards), but it was not that uncommon among the upper class (the world Albert was born into and lived in) to have that sort of arrangement regarding illegitimate children. And, since Albert was king at the time Delphine became public, he may have thought keeping in touch with her or acknowledging her publicly would endanger the Crown although, in hindsight, not doing it probably was far more harmful to his reputation personally (the Crown itself was protected by the abdication and Philippe taking over).

However, I am sure Paola was also involved and demanded that Albert cut off any ties with Delphine and her mother after the news of the affair and the out-of-wedlock child broke out. I mean, her personality suggests she would react like that.

Last edited:
Note that Delphine’s mother in a television interview surprisingly claimed she did not think it was Paola who made Albert cut ties with Delphine. Although the baroness did not hide her disdain of Paola - who she clearly considered a vain & bad tempered airhead - she did not think Paola was behind the refusal. In her view it might have been pressure from people in the Belgian catholic church who convinced Albert it would be inappropriate for a king to be seen with an illegitimate child. It makes some sense; if Paola were the obstacle wouldn't contact have been broken off much earlier; right after the couple had reconsiliated in the 80-ties?

Last edited:
Note that Delphine’s mother in a television interview surprisingly claimed she did not think it was Paola who made Albert cut ties with Delphine. Although the baroness did not hide her disdain of Paola - who she clearly considered a vain & bad tempered airhead - she did not think Paola was behind the refusal. In her view it might have been pressure from people in the Belgian catholic church who convinced Albert it would be inappropriate for a king to be seen with an illegitimate child. It makes some sense; if Paola were the obstacle wouldn't contact have been broken off much earlier; right after the couple had reconsiliated in the 80-ties?

Thank you for sharing.
A woman who cheated for several years and decided to have a secret child with somebody likely to be king one day and then was to me considers all but reliable and of course she'd describe Paola negatively and put the blame on him, now that the adultery is over and public.
and what else can RC church say as it was clearly adultery, nothing more is proofed.
and yes, if Paola had been the secret force it has happened earlier, I agree with you. the humilation is the adultery not the innocent child, though today I understand if the family distanced itself from Boel.
Imagine it happened in your family, nobody wants to be through something like this and a stranger (suppose to the rest of the RF D.is) intruding your family.
She should get her legally right and heritage and surname, anything else is unlikely to happen and if would be a sign of great maturity and forgiveness by the RF.

Wasn't there a Count Jan Mark Vladimir Anton de Marchant et d'Ansembourg who was the Dutch ambassador to Spain? I was once doing some research on Spanish royal decrees awarding the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and came across that family name in connection with a state visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the Netherlands.

Yes indeed, he was one of the few Dutch Ambassadors still wearing a traditional ambassadorial costume of office with all the gold galon, a sword et al.

What sympathy could be had for her then?

Don't people normally have sympathy for legitimate wives when their husbands cheat on them?

Yes, but Paola had her own affairs in response and Laurent's legitimacy was questioned for years because of it.

Still, her subsequent response does not alter the preceding actions of then-Prince Albert.

Even if Prince Laurent had hypothetically been the biological son of another man, his legitimacy as Albert's son would not be in question as there was no question of the legal validity of Prince Albert and Princess Paola's marriage at the time of Laurent's birth and none of the parties had initiated a contestation of paternity in court.

She took him to court after 14 years of him refusing to acknowledge her as his daughter, putting her children on a terrorist watch list, [...]

But even on Mrs. Boël's own account, it was a bank's list of "politically exposed" persons, not a terrorist watch list.

Still, her subsequent response does not alter the preceding actions of then-Prince Albert.

Even if Prince Laurent had hypothetically been the biological son of another man, his legitimacy as Albert's son would not be in question as there was no question of the legal validity of Prince Albert and Princess Paola's marriage at the time of Laurent's birth and none of the parties had initiated a contestation of paternity in court.

I don't think anyone was choosing to question the legality of it, but it's not an ideal situation for Laurent, Paola, or Albert. Couldn't it have affected his place in the line of succession?

But even on Mrs. Boël's own account, it was a bank's list of "politically exposed" persons, not a terrorist watch list.

"Politically exposed" apparently meant "together with criminals and suspected terrorists" so if it's not a terrorist watch list per se, the legal and social consequences are still obviously not desirable. At all. And I refuse to believe Albert was unaware of this matter. He doesn't have to have been responsible, but he could have easily ameliorated this, had he chosen to do so.

Last edited:
I dont think that gossip about Laurent would be desirable but there is often gossip about the paternity of royal children.
I dont know if Paola had affairs but my understanding was that while Albert had definitely been unfaithful she had not gone unconsoled.. but I don't know. However, if she and Albert had a reconciliation, which appears to be the case, I think that she ought to have taken on board the fact that he DID father a child in one of his affairs and that while P might not like it, that child was always going to be there and was not responsible for what had happened and deserved at least a little civility from her father..

I dont think that gossip about Laurent would be desirable but there is often gossip about the paternity of royal children.
I dont know if Paola had affairs but my understanding was that while Albert had definitely been unfaithful she had not gone unconsoled.. but I don't know. However, if she and Albert had a reconciliation, which appears to be the case, I think that she ought to have taken on board the fact that he DID father a child in one of his affairs and that while P might not like it, that child was always going to be there and was not responsible for what had happened and deserved at least a little civility from her father..

The child DID receive civility from Albert for 30 years. Maybe not the ideal situation some posters would like to see. But who says life is perfect? C'est la vie.

Delphine's mother committed adultery. Delphine's father committed adultery. The fruit of their affair was born inside the marriage of Delphine's mother with one of the richest men of Belgium.

And that man did accept Delphine as his only child born in his marriage, with that Delphine was from day one jonkvrouw Delphine Boël, living in one of Belgium's most affluent enclaves. Her natural parents have kept contact in an agreement. Her natural father visited her, vice versa. Maybe not the ideal situation some posters would like to see. But who says life is perfect? C'est la vie.

Keyword here is: discretion. Delphine was born with more chances and opportunities in life than her half-siblings whom all were restricted into a royal mould. Some of them clearly never found happiness and substance in that life (Laurent), while Philippe had no any choice at all than to follow a path in which every route was lined out for him.

It all worked for this ultra-privileged demoiselle from Uccle. And it was destroyed by herself by going out full public, like an elephant in a porcelain cabinet, without any understanding or consideration for both her legal and natural parents, their family lives and the institution of the monarchy (she mocks in any "artist" work from her hand). It is really not so difficult why it hopelessly derailed and she herself is the key person in the mess she herself made of her privileged life.

Why Mario Danneels published it just before Prince Philippe's Wedding ?
Dephine lived in London.
Why all these Provocation Paintings since the beginning?
Why no discretion from her and her Mother Baroness Sybille .
Excellent post from Duc et Pair.

I love it when royal men cant keep their -- in their pants, and then it is their natural children who get the bad wrap for wanting to be recognized. :bang:

See the same thing with Prince Carlos, Duke of Parma and his treatment of his natural son. Many royal watchers giving him a pass because 'well he didn't want a kid and the mother refused an abortion so he isn't required to care'. :ermm:

Delphine didn't conceive herself. It isn't her fault neither of her parents could honor their wedding vows. Maybe she hasn't handled it greatly, okay she hasn't, but she has been spurned by her so called father for decades. If he had manned up and admitted he was her father, and not dragged this for years, it would not have been such a mess. But his royal ego got in the way. If he didn't want to leave her money, I am sure he could have found a way around with most of his assets with time to go to his other kids.

Yeah Delphine was better off without him. No argument. Her stepfather is far richer then Albert could ever hope to be, and she was his only legal child. But sometimes its more about being acknowledged and less about money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Mario Danneels published it just before Prince Philippe's Wedding ?
Dephine lived in London.
Why all these Provocation Paintings since the beginning?
Why no discretion from her and her Mother Baroness Sybille .
Excellent post from Duc et Pair.

Ask Mario Danneels about it.

So Delphine and her mother should have kept quiet and agreed that King Albert did not want to know anything about it anymore only because a writer had an unhappy timing publishing it?
That is what I call victim-blaming and I find it ridiculous and disgusting. The days when royalty and highly respected institutions and people were holy (and some seem stuck in those times) are over, long gone.

Be a man (or woman) and own up to what you did. Ignoring does not make something unpleasant (and rather unexpected in this case) go away.

Some opinions are truly appalling to me.

This is my last post here for now, the story will be continued though.

Ask Mario Danneels about it.

So Delphine and her mother should have kept quiet and agreed that King Albert did not want to know anything about it anymore only because a writer had an unhappy timing publishing it?
That is what I call victim-blaming and I find it ridiculous and disgusting. The days when royalty and highly respected institutions and people were holy (and some seem stuck in those times) are over, long gone.

Be a man (or woman) and own up to what you did. Ignoring does not make something unpleasant (and rather unexpected in this case) go away.

Some opinions are truly appalling to me.

This is my last post here for now, the story will be continued though.

I, too, call it victim blaming, and it both astonishes and appalls me.

It all worked for this ultra-privileged demoiselle from Uccle. And it was destroyed by herself by going out full public...

Quite often one finds stories in tabloids about adopted kids, which did not let it go, but tried everything to find their biological parents.

Luckily for the most us, we are knowing, where we are from (hopefully!), so, we don't know how to feel in the shoes of folks, which do not know the truth.

We don't know, what adds up there and what really drives them. Is it the idea of a different life with completely different chances? Is it a late teenager rebellion against the authorities? Who knows, I am not a psychologist...

But to blame these folks, is a bit too easy, I fear...

According to Wim Dehandschutter, Delphine will now be considered one of Albert's legal children and will be able to claim her inheritance when he passes away, he and his lawyers will no longer fight the paternity claim on court.

The big mystery (according to him) is which surname is she going to adopt? She cannot use Boël anymore due to the ruling, so WD is wondering if she's going to take "De Belgique" or "Saxe-Coburg" (as a nod to the old German family roots).

"Delphine Boël wants to adopt the family name Saxe-Coburg. Her lawyers announced this after the last hearing before the Brussels court of appeal in the lawsuit against King Albert. Saxe-Coburg refers to the German roots of the Belgian royal family."

"Delphine Boël wants "exactly the same privileges, titles and capacities as her two brothers and her sister," her lawyer stated after the final hearing in the lawsuit against King Albert. Note word usage: "brothers and sister" (Filip, Astrid, Laurent), not "half-brothers and -sister"."

Deplhine in the hearing today

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2020/09/10/delphine_boel_trial,_brussels?

Hmm, I suppose that King Albert's biological recognition did set something in motion with her concerning her wanted last name and titles.......
So her goal is apparently HRH Princess Delphine of Saxe-Coburg, I think? Now, with the biological admission already there, she wants the complete package, it seems. Wanting is one, granting is two and I'm not sure how I feel about this. It does seem a change of attitude.

I thought she only wanted the legal recognition and the last name, then I suppose that I was wrong and Mbruno was right about this.

Anyway, I understand that the court will pronounce the verdict within a month. So we'll see.

But in any case/way: this whole trial is over now.

Last edited:
According to Wim Dehandschutter, Delphine will now be considered one of Albert's legal children and will be able to claim her inheritance when he passes away, he and his lawyers will no longer fight the paternity claim on court.

The court hearing where Delphine Boël requested a declaration of paternity was held today, but the court has not delivered its ruling as of now.

I don't think the ruling is expected to be delivered immediately. Until then, Delphine is not considered Albert's legal child.

The big mystery (according to him) is which surname is she going to adopt? She cannot use Boël anymore due to the ruling, so WD is wondering if she's going to take "De Belgique" or "Saxe-Coburg" (as a nod to the old German family roots).

He is mistaken.

Firstly, the ruling confirming that Jacques Boël was not the legal father of Delphine was already delivered this past December. (It was discussed in this thread here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...er-of-king-albert-ii-6319-65.html#post2273915)

Secondly, it is Delphine's own wish to be rid of the Boël name. The Civil Code protects her legal right to keep it:

The FPS also summarizes the Civil Code provisions dealing with the surnames of adults whose parentage is legally changed by a court judgment. (These laws will eventually have jurisdiction over the surname of Delphine Boël, a Belgian, if, as is expected, she becomes the legal child of King Albert II as a result of the forthcoming court session in September 2020.)

Familienaam toekennen | Federale Overheidsdienst Justitie
Attribution du nom de famille | Service public federal Justice

Changed parentage

[...] If the parentage of an adult child is modified as the result of an action to dispute the parentage, the family name may be modified only with his or her consent. In the judgment, the judge takes note of the new surname chosen by the adult child from the legally available options.​

As indicated in Article 335, § 4, of the Civil Code, the legally available options for a new surname (if the adult child chooses not to keep her or his current surname) are the same options which are available to parents naming their firstborn child: the legal father's surname, the legal mother's surname, or a combination of both.

Finally, as explained in the above summary, Delphine will be restricted to four name options once she is recognized as King Albert's legal child. These will be to continue bearing the Boël surname, to adopt the surname of her mother, to adopt the surname of her father, or to adopt a combination of her parents' surnames. Her lawyers have confirmed that her choice will be her father's surname.

It follows that whether she becomes "of Belgium" or "of Saxe-Coburg" will be dependent on which one the court considers to be Albert's legal surname.

Over the last few years, the Royal Court and the lawyers for both parties have all expressed the view that "of Saxe-Coburg" is the legal surname. The sources are posted in the this thread: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-17.html#post2186636

"Delphine Boël wants "exactly the same privileges, titles and capacities as her two brothers and her sister," her lawyer stated after the final hearing in the lawsuit against King Albert. Note word usage: "brothers and sister" (Filip, Astrid, Laurent), not "half-brothers and -sister"."

That represents a reversal of her views, as she has taken the opposite position in the past - although as Mbruno pointed out, the comments earlier this year hinted at this.

So her goal is apparently HRH Princess Delphine of Saxe-Coburg, I think? Now, with the biological admission already there, she wants the complete package, it seems. Wanting is one, granting is two and I'm not sure how I feel about this. It does seem a change of attitude.

"The same titles as her two brothers and sister" would be HRH Princess Delphine, Princess of Belgium, Duchess of Saxony, Princess of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. The part that I have bolded would be considered the surname.

Last edited:

I think it's a bluff. The odds of her becoming HRH Princess are still extremely slim. It's taking an extreme stance to increase the odds of getting whatever you want more moderately.

But that's my opinion, and I guess we'll see.

I think it's a bluff. The odds of her becoming HRH Princess are still extremely slim. It's taking an extreme stance to increase the odds of getting whatever you want more moderately.

But that's my opinion, and I guess we'll see.

The odds that the court will eventually declare her to be King Albert's legal child are close to being assured, now that Albert has withdrawn from opposing her request. Once his paternity becomes legal, her rights under the Civil Code to claim his surname and a share of his inheritance will be incontestable. Is there something else you have in mind where her odds would be lower?

The odds that the court will eventually declare her to be King Albert's legal child are close to being assured, now that Albert has withdrawn from opposing her request. Once his paternity becomes legal, her rights under the Civil Code to claim his surname and a share of his inheritance will be incontestable. Is there something else you have in mind where her odds would be lower?

Being HRH Princess Delphine. Belgian law and eliminating legitimate/illegitimate doesn't apply to the succession or determine titles, does it?

It seems to me that suddenly expecting "everything" Philippe, Astrid and Laurent have, just because she's about to become their legal sister, is a bit unreasonable. (She's entitled to the piece of the estate and the name change, that's all. We've known that for months.)

My guess is that she is making an outsized demand so as to be able to bargain down to whatever she really wants. Also there's a good chance Albert/his lawyers knew her lawyer was going to say this, especially if it's been rumored in the background.

Being HRH Princess Delphine. Belgian law and eliminating legitimate/illegitimate doesn't apply to the succession or determine titles, does it?

According to the ministry of foreign affairs, the general rule for nobility is legitimate direct descent (in the male line) indeed. That is one more reason why her request surprises me.

https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/services/Protocol/nobility_and_honorary_distinctions/nobility/faq

9. I believe that I am the descendant of a noble ancestor. Am I eligible for a recognition of nobility? What are the conditions?

If the applicants consider themselves to be the legitimate direct descendent, in the male line, of an ancestor who belonged to the nobility in our regions until the end of the 'Ancien Régime' (i.e. until the abolition of the nobility in the French era) or who was officially a member of the nobility in his country of origin, they may lodge an application for recognition of nobility. The application must also be addressed to the King or to the Minister of Foreign Affairs. The same applies to applications to restore nobility, i.e. if the nobility had already been lost by derogation prior to 1795.

It seems to me that suddenly expecting "everything" Philippe, Astrid and Laurent have, just because she's about to become their legal sister, is a bit unreasonable. (She's entitled to the piece of the estate and the name change, that's all. We've known that for months.)

My guess is that she is making an outsized demand so as to be able to bargain down to whatever she really wants. Also there's a good chance Albert/his lawyers knew her lawyer was going to say this, especially if it's been rumored in the background.

I meant to ask what she might want to bargain down to, since, as you point out, no bargaining is needed for her to receive the share of the estate and the name change.

Hmm, well I'd always thought well of her for saying she didn't want the royal trappings but just to know who her father is....why the sudden change? Or was this her plans all along?

I find this a rather unreasonable request. Although one can only speculate why on earth she wants to use the last name of a father she has been battling with for nearly 2 decades -would her mother's name not be more logical- to be expected to be made a princess of Belgium is a whole other level. I can't imagine she will be made HRH Princess of Belgium but if she is, what will be the next step? Claiming a right to a dotation [since 1993], as Astrid and Laurent?

Luckily for the court she will not hold these proceedings against her own sibling(s). But who knows what will happen in the future.

What a colossal mistake mess King Albert has made out of this.

Last edited:
I think not even the grandchildren of Astrid and Laurent would be HRH due to the latest laws and Delphine wants to be recognized as one?

I get she wants the recognition of paternity, it's basically a human right but she's being completely unreasonable now.

The worst part is that this might end up falling on Philippe's plate, which would make it very difficult for him: if he doesn't recognize his sister, he'd look like a douche in the public eye, if he does then it would cause further conflict with his parents and other members of his family.

As Marengo says, what a mess Albert made of this.

Would the fact that she married a commoner (and without permission) have any bearing on her rights to hold a royal title? I realize that the marriage came before the paternity suit, but I wonder if it would offer a "loophole" for the family refusing to grant her a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom