Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of

I take Delphine's account as true (enough) because we do know Albert subsequently refused all contact with her, and this would seem to provide something of an explanation and enough hurt and anger for why. This version of their last conversation is worse than the ordinary account of it, simply telling her she wasn't his daughter and never to bother him again.

I'm not sorry for the grown man denying reality, his own child, and not only himself as a parent to her, but even a connection to her heritage. It's cruel.

Besides — even if Delphine's recollection is a lie? Albert still behaved like a jackass for two decades. So he would have even less excuse.

I dont think there is the slightest chance of Delphine becoming a princess.....a nd I doubt if she's looking for it..
I think she's deeply hurt that he was a father to her for a time and then so brutally turned on her..

The child he pushed away and denied is more like the mother he lost than anybody else in the world. That's the poetic justice.

Albert's had 21 years to realize it. I hope he finally does.

The child he pushed away and denied is more like the mother he lost than anybody else in the world. That's the poetic justice.

I do think he's been very petty. He knew she was his daughter, If he didn't want a daughter who was a reminder of members of his family, or whose existence upset his wife, he could have not had an affair. Or at least made sure he didn't have children from it,.
And while I can understand his wife being upset, she knows that Delphine is his daughter, Denying it wont make it any less true.. and she has a right to some recognition from her father...

Delphine knew that Prince Albert, later King Albert, was her father. She knew she comes from an extramarital affair, in which both her mother as her father broke their marriage vows. Prince Albert, later King Albert, maintained a relationship with her. There are pictures of Albert visiting his daughter etc.

Things only went downhill after the revelation that she was a child of him. When she wanted to go out and about with the fact, it was Albert whom ended all contacts with her. Some say this is mainly fed by a fierce Queen Paola seeing public recognition as an ultimate insult to her, the Queen, an Italian Princess as well a willingly attempt to damage the monarchy.

But the point is: it never was a mystery to Delphine who her father was. Her point was that you and me should know as well that Albert is her father. That she has had a totally carefree life, without any perks from kingship, politics or media, as daughter of one of Belgium's wealthiest men: that is shoven aside.

It is not that she crawled around, for decades: "Who is my secret father?" She knew it all the way. And she wanted you and me to know this too. Collateral damage to Jacques Boël, to Sybille, to King Albert, Queen Paola and the monarchy (which is always under pressure in Belgium) were of no any hindrance to her.This collision course attitude caused all this.

Last edited:
T

It wasn't for the money, as she lost an enormous amount of money by formally giving up her ties to her richer former-official-father. So, she might have wanted the 'name' but money cannot have been the motive.

Let's put things into perspective though when it comes to the Belgian RF's finances.

King Leopold II was supposed to be privately very wealthy, but he transferred his assets to the Royal Donation Trust to prevent them from being divided among his daughters who were married to foreign princes. The Trust itself is said to be worth 850 million euros according to Wikipedia, which is almost the combined value of the Duchy of Lancaster's and the Duchy of Cornwall's estates. So it is not an insignificant amount.

True, the Royal Donation is a public trust (it is not privately owned by the RF), but it operates independently of the Belgian government and the RF, or rather the King of the Belgians and his successors (?) retain the right of disposal. So the RF, on top of getting a generous income from the civil list voted by Parliament to cover their personal and official expenses, can also benefit from the assets in the trust, including the various residences that are at their disposal.

I don't think Delphine is naïve enough to believe that she will become a princess of Belgium and, on top of that, will get state funding like working royals or a royal residence. Getting a title is not actually that far-fetched even for an illegitimate daughter (Belgian courts have been unpredictable before), but the rest is of course beyond even the realm of fantasy.

Maybe Delphine thought that, being acknowledged as Albert's daughter and carrying his name, even if it is only Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, could open doors for her (professionally, I mean) or even promote her as an artist. But I agree that it doesn't look like she would have much to gain to compensate losing the Boël inheritance unless she became a full-fledged HRH with a place in the line of succession, which is still very unlikely.

Last edited:
Let's put things into perspective though when it comes to the Belgian RF's finances.

King Leopold II was supposed to be privately very wealthy, but he transferred his assets to the Royal Donation Trust to prevent them from being divided among his daughters who were married to foreign princes. The Trust itself is said to be worth 850 million euros according to Wikipedia, which is almost the combined value of the Duchy of Lancaster's and the Duchy of Cornwall's estates. So it is not an insignificant amount.

True, the Royal Donation is a public trust (it is not privately owned by the RF), but it operates independently of the Belgian government and the RF, or rather the King of the Belgians and his successors (?) retain the right of disposal. So the RF, on top of getting a generous sum from the civil list voted by Parliament to cover their personal and official expenses, can also benefit from the assets in the trust, including the various residences that are at their disposal.

I don't think Delphine is naïve enough to believe that she will become a princess of Belgium and, on top of that, will get state funding like working royals or a royal residence. Getting a title is not actually that far-fetched even for an illegitimate daughter (Belgian courts have been unpredictable before), but the rest is of course beyond even the realm of fantasy.

Maybe Delphine thought that, being acknowledged as Albert's daughter and carrying his name, even if it is only Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, could open doors for her (professionally, I mean) or even promote her as an artist. But I agree that it doesn't look like she would have much to gain to compensate losing the Boël inheritance unless she became a full-fledged HRH with a place in the line of succession, which is still very unlikely.

So, it seems you agree that 'money' cannot have been her primary motive. She had a very secure enormous inheritance and because of her desire for recognition instead of public denial from her father gave that all up for an unknown inheritance most likely resulting in far less money - still a considerable amount OR nothing at all if king Albert would die before he is officially recognized as her father.

The Belgian family was/is not Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, since Leopold I was Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Probably why they've only ever used "Saxe-Coburg".

The Belgian family was/is not Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, since Leopold I was Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Probably why they've only ever used "Saxe-Coburg".

In 1831 he had become a Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha like all other members of the Ducal Family also those the Kohary line who where not decendants of the Duke of Saxe-Gotha.

Delphine knew that Prince Albert, later King Albert, was her father. She knew she comes from an extramarital affair, in which both her mother as her father broke their marriage vows. Prince Albert, later King Albert, maintained a relationship with her. There are pictures of Albert visiting his daughter etc.

Things only went downhill after the revelation that she was a child of him. When she wanted to go out and about with the fact, it was Albert whom ended all contacts with her. Some say this is mainly fed by a fierce Queen Paola seeing public recognition as an ultimate insult to her, the Queen, an Italian Princess as well a willingly attempt to damage the monarchy.

But the point is: it never was a mystery to Delphine who her father was. Her point was that you and me should know as well that Albert is her father. That she has had a totally carefree life, without any perks from kingship, politics or media, as daughter of one of Belgium's wealthiest men: that is shoven aside.

It is not that she crawled around, for decades: "Who is my secret father?" She knew it all the way. And she wanted you and me to know this too. Collateral damage to King Albert, Queen Paola and the monarchy (which is always under pressure in Belgium) were of no any hindrance to her.This collision course attitude caused all this.

Ah, and it seems that you think that this should have been enough for her. I get the idea that you would have settled for it and can't understand why she didn't.
The things you mentioned are not holy for everyone. She just wants her roots validated.

As for my second bolded part: you blame Delphine for this situation? Blaming the victim. King Albert fathered her, he did the damage to the monarchy if you want to put it that way. Delphine did not ask to be conceived.
King Albert brought this onto himself with those years of ignoring her.

Maybe Delphine thought that, being acknowledged as Albert's daughter and carrying his name, even if it is only Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, could open doors for her (professionally, I mean) or even promote her as an artist.

In 1831 he had become a Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha like all other members of the Ducal Family also those the Kohary line who where not decendants of the Duke of Saxe-Gotha.

The Princes of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld became Princes of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in 1826 because the head of the Coburg line (eldest brother of Prince Leopold) ceded Saalfeld to another duke and received Gotha in exchange.

The royal descendants in male line of King Leopold I, except those born after 1921, used Princess/Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in their documents (for examples, see my recent posts in the Titles and Styles thread).

However, for whatever reason, the Belgian Royal Family considers "of Saxe-Coburg" to be the name of their House. The Constitution of Belgium styles King Leopold I with the surname "of Saxe-Coburg", no "Gotha":

Art. 85

De grondwettelijke macht van de Koning gaat bij erfopvolging over op de natuurlijke en wettige nakomelingschap, in de rechte lijn, van Z.M. Leopold, Joris, Christiaan, Frederik van Saksen-Coburg en volgens eerstgeboorterecht.

Art. 85

Les pouvoirs constitutionnels du Roi sont héréditaires dans la descendance directe, naturelle et légitime de S.M. Léopold, Georges, Chrétien, Frédéric de Saxe-Cobourg, par ordre de primogéniture.

Article 85

The constitutional powers of the King are hereditary through the direct, natural and legitimate descent from H.M. Leopold, George, Christian, Frederick of Saxe-Coburg, by order of primogeniture.

I wonder if it due to Leopold only being "of Gotha" for five years when he ascended the Belgian throne.

Last edited:
Ah, and it seems that you think that this should have been enough for her. I get the idea that you would have settled for it and can't understand why she didn't.
The things you mentioned are not holy for everyone. She just wants her roots validated.

As for my second bolded part: you blame Delphine for this situation? Blaming the victim. King Albert fathered her, he did the damage to the monarchy if you want to put it that way. Delphine did not ask to be conceived.
King Albert brought this onto himself with those years of ignoring her.

There are so unbelievably many children who do not know one of their parents, or from whom the parents have disappeared, or who find themselves in "combined" families with a stepmom or a stepdad, or even have to live in institutions because of the parental or familial situation, not seldomly with neglect or abuse in play.

When then a lady, who was born with a triple platinum spoon in her mouth, and whom all her life knows who her natural father is, wails about her sorry state of "existence" because she wants to be "recognized", no matter the cost for her own legal father, or for other members of the royal family, or for the sake of the monarchy, yes, then I am very sceptical on Delphine indeed.

Was she scandalously neglected by Prince Albert, later King Albert, with her mother applying for housing and benefits, while her natural father is living at Belvédère, okay... But none of all this. She was living in a sprawling domain of 2200 hectare (Court Saint-Étienne, with a château, a park, several mansions, farms, and forests). Spare me Delphine's "recognition" pffffff

See the shocking and scandalous circumstances this royal daughter had to live in:
http://www.littorelles.org/wp-content/gallery/court_stetienne/P1260361.JPG

There are so unbelievably many children who do not know one of their parents, or from whom the parents have disappeared, or who find themselves in "combined" families with a stepmom or a stepdad, or even have to live in institutions because of the parental or familial situation, not seldomly with neglect or abuse in play.

Was she scandalously neglected by Prince Albert, later King Albert, with her mother applying for housing and benefits, while her natural father is living at Belvédère, okay... But none of all this. She was living in a sprawling domain of 2200 hectare (Court Saint-Étienne, with a château, a park, several mansions, farms, and forests). Spare me Delphine's "recognition" pffffff

So because Delphine was not poor, she was supposed to be fine with the rejection of both her fathers? (And the legal consequences for her children?)

I'll have to defer to the Beatles. "Money can't buy me love..."

When then a lady, who was born with a triple platinum spoon in her mouth, and whom all her life knows who her natural father is, wails about her sorry state of "existence" because she wants to be "recognized", no matter the cost for her own legal father, or for other members of the royal family, or for the sake of the monarchy, yes, then I am very sceptical on Delphine indeed.

See the shocking and scandalous circumstances this royal daughter had to live in:
http://www.littorelles.org/wp-content/gallery/court_stetienne/P1260361.JPG

Your view is so enormously black and white that I'm not going to give an extended response - or any at all, apart from this.

So because Delphine was not poor, she was supposed to be fine with the rejection of both her fathers? (And the legal consequences for her children?)

I'll have to defer to the Beatles. "Money can't buy me love..."

That's what it comes down to. Others are way worse off so she should have kept her mouth shut and be happy with whatever she *did* have. Talk about downplaying things. Everyone has the right to their own grief and issues.

Last edited:
That's what it comes down to. Others are way worse off so she should have kept her mouth shut and be happy with whatever she *did* have. Talk about downplaying things. Everyone has the right to their own grief and issues.

And not being bought off by money or circumstance.

All those children from broken homes or without parents might be happy Delphine has managed to get as far in her case as she has. It shows that no one has the right to neglect or deny their children, no matter how rich or important they happen to be.

So because Delphine was not poor, she was supposed to be fine with the rejection of both her fathers?

The bolded phrase seems relevant to explaining the present state of affairs: On her own account, Ms. Boël experienced difficult relationships and rejections from not one father, but two of them. It seems probable that this influenced her decision to pursue legal action against both fathers by petitioning to end her legal ties with one and force legal recognition with the other.

It wasn't Delphine that brought scandal upon the monarchy. ALL of it was Albert's own doing: HE chose to have an intimate adulterous relationship with someone and HE chose to break off all contact and deny being her father and fighting her all of the way for years. Had been faithful in his marriage, none of this would have happened. Had he acknowledged her 20 years ago, it wouldn't have become this long and public fight.

It wasn't Delphine that brought scandal upon the monarchy. ALL of it was Albert's own doing: HE chose to have an intimate adulterous relationship with someone and HE chose to break off all contact and deny being her father and fighting her all of the way for years. Had been faithful in his marriage, none of this would have happened. Had he acknowledged her 20 years ago, it wouldn't have become this long and public fight.

Amen ;-) and well her mother is responsable aswell adultery needs two.

Amen ;-) and well her mother is responsable aswell adultery needs two.

Of course, but I don't think her mother has been trying to pretend otherwise - but yes, it was both of them who put her in this position.

Of course, but I don't think her mother has been trying to pretend otherwise - but yes, it was both of them who put her in this position.

Yes, I just wanted to emphasise her role. I mean how can a woman do this?
adultery but with a person who is a vip, ok, and in albert's case likely to be King,
how on earth can anyone think about having a child with,
it's simply irresponsible.
but maybe Delphine thought it's on her father only to be blamed.
I doubt she will find oeace in her heart with what she has done,
the prize she pays ain't worth it IMO and all this has a great impact to her family, too, she might not realise it at the moment.

adultery but with a person who is a vip, ok, and in albert's case likely to be King,
the prize she pays ain't worth it IMO and all this has a great impact to her family, too, she might not realise it at the moment.

If Delphine's mother was irresponsible so was her father. her mother has been a good ad supportive mother to her for all her life.. Her father has let her down, denied her and generally acted with selfish arrogance. So she wants recognition and I think she's entitled to it. If it brings her peace good, if not, it is still her choice to make just as it was his choice to have an affairs', father a child and then reject that child

If Delphine's mother was irresponsible so was her father. her mother has been a good ad supportive mother to her for all her life.. Her father has let her down, denied her and generally acted with selfish arrogance. So she wants recognition and I think she's entitled to it. If it brings her peace good, if not, it is still her choice to make just as it was his choice to have an affairs', father a child and then reject that child

I guess you missed the posts above, that was already widely discussed ;-)

Albert was not so likely to be King. This was only just when Fabiola's inability to have a child was sinking in. Baudouin died quite young, and all the expectations before he became seriously ill were that Philippe would directly succeed him. Not Albert.

That being said, it was Sybille's choice to have Albert's child, and Albert himself did not seem to object or remember it might be inconvenient until more than thirty years later!

I don't think it's wise to start blaming Sybille.

Albert was not so likely to be King. This was only just when Fabiola's inability to have a child was sinking in. Baudouin died quite young, and all the expectations before he became seriously ill were that Philippe would directly succeed him. Not Albert.

That being said, it was Sybille's choice to have Albert's child, and Albert himself did not seem to object or remember it might be inconvenient until more than thirty years later!

I don't think it's wise to start blaming Sybille.

Who is blaming her? when two people decide to have a child the responsibility is on those two.
I thought Albert was then still no. 2 in line if succession, ecxuse me if I got that wrong but does nit change my opinion about having this child.
reminds me of women who choose to have a baby with a rc priest and start complaining afterwards.

Who is blaming her? when two people decide to have a child the responsibility is on those two.
I thought Albert was then still no. 2 in line if succession, ecxuse me if I got that wrong but does nit change my opinion about having this child.
reminds me of women who choose to have a baby with a rc priest and start complaining afterwards.

Who is complaining? The person who is "complaining" is Delphine and she was not the one who caused the affair or her own conception.

when I take a look at her curriculum vitae and works so far,
it seems as if she only started of after the rumours about her father were revealed and of course as an artist she can always lay back and call it artistic freedom but c'mon blabla series , identity, fingerprints.....
well she gets her judical justice and money, so she won.

Albert was definitely no. 2 in the line of succession under the constitution. Any speculation that the succession would skip a generation and go directly to Philippe was just speculation and, in any case, that possibility would require Albert renouncing his succession rights or abdicating following his enthronement. I don't even know how that would have been done in practice.

On the other hand, whereas Baudouin could in theory still have children, I think the hopes of him doing so with Fabiola were not that high, and if the rumors are true, the family, including possibly Albert, knew more about that than the general public. In any case, Albert was treated as heir presumptive (as he should have been) and that treatment was also accorded overseas. For example, Queen Elizabeth II gave him the Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, which she gives only to Princes Consort and (male) Crown Princes (other foreign royalty who received it were Claus, Henrik, Harald and Felipe, if I am not mistaken).

Last edited:
Albert was definitely no. 2 in the line of succession under the constitution. Any speculation that the succession would skip a generation and go directly to Philippe was just speculation and, in any case, that possibility would require Albert renouncing his succession rights or abdicating following his enthronement. I don't even know how that would have been done in practice.

I would say he was No. 1 as he was the Heir of his brother as long as Baudouin had no children.

I would say he was No. 1 as he was the Heir of his brother as long as Baudouin had no children.

Sorry, I misspoke following the OP. I obviously meant to say he was no.1 in the line of succession.

In any case, the point the OP was making is that whoever was having an affair with him had to consider the possibility he could be king one day. And I agree with her too:it takes two people to have an affair. Sybille could have said no if she wanted to. In fact, from what I learned here on TRF (I knew nothing about that before), she was not even that much interested and it was Albert who was apparently in love with her (or so he thought) and was even considering leaving his wife. It was not just a fling.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

On the other hand, whereas Baudouin could in theory still have children, I think the hopes of him doing so with Fabiola were not that high, and if the rumors are true, the family, including possibly Albert, knew more about that than the general public. In any case, Albert was treated as heir presumptive (as he should have been) and that treatment was also accorded overseas. For example, Queen Elizabeth II gave him the Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, which she gives only to Princes Consort and (male) Crown Princes (other foreign royalty who received it were Claus, Henrik, Harald and Felipe, if I am not mistaken).

thanks, that was my information, too.

"King Albert II ascended to the throne in 1993, following the death of his older brother, King Baudouin. It was assumed that Baudouin's nephew Prince Philippe would ascend the throne. Baudouin never had children of his own, and Philippe had been groomed as the heir apparent since birth.

However, due to problems arising from the country's linguistic and religious differences, it was decided a more experienced hand was called for.

Parliament named the King's brother, the more politically experienced Prince Albert of Liege, his successor."

Or if you'd prefer a more authoritative source than Hello! magazine, the New York Times from Baudouin's obituary:

"Next in line to the throne is Prince Albert, Baudouin's brother, yet officials in Brussels said he has been expected to offer it to his eldest son, Philippe."

Or the Washington Post:

"Though the prince was the official heir, it was originally thought that Albert's son, Philippe, was the more likely successor as king. Prince Albert, who once indicated he would turn down the throne, appears to have given into pressure from federal officials to accept the post."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom